ImageImageImageImageImage

[Woj/Slater] Warriors sign Nemanja Bjelica to a one-year minimum deal

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: [Woj/Slater] Warriors sign Nemanja Bjelica to a one-year minimum deal 

Post#21 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:43 pm

I like Bjelica's skill set but I hate his body. He makes the Pilsbury Dough Boy look cut. I wonder if the staff can convince him to hit the weight room?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#22 » by Impuniti » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:45 pm

Wondering if they're recalling Chriss at this rate.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#23 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:49 pm

Luke warm signing, couldnt we have given Gay 2/12?
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#24 » by whatisacenter » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:55 pm

Not only is he a good shooting big but he can do a lot of the high post/extended elbow passing that we got from Bogut. He is smart with the ball and good at setting screens on the perimeter. Good get at the minimum and hopefully they are getting Hill/Mills with the TPMLE
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,601

Post#25 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:56 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:Between Kuminga, Moody, Porter and Bjelica, I absolutely love that we stocked up on wings.

That was by far our weakest point last season.

Bjelica should not be treated as a wing, and we might be better off playing Kuminga like an undersized big at this point too

Bazemore gone and Oubre likely leaving I think we'd actually be getting weaker on the wing if not for Klay recovery

I don't know about that, man.

I believe Bjelica is a combo forward, right? He plays the 4 mainly, and the 3 in certain matchups.

I think if you put him at the 5 it won't work. Maybe in some matchups, but I don't know about that.

I just wouldn't trust him to guard 3s. He can play that role on offense, but defensively I'd only want him on a big man or a really weak offensive wing
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#26 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:57 pm

Onus wrote:I like it. Here's our shooting big. Hopefully he doesn't get gun shy about launching 3s

So they have brought on two min vets that both shoot over 40% from 3....:)

So far so good.

Nail the Mills MLE and Bob get's an A from me.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#27 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:59 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
Bjelica should not be treated as a wing, and we might be better off playing Kuminga like an undersized big at this point too

Bazemore gone and Oubre likely leaving I think we'd actually be getting weaker on the wing if not for Klay recovery

I believe Bjelica is a combo forward, right? He plays the 4 mainly, and the 3 in certain matchups.

I think if you put him at the 5 it won't work. Maybe in some matchups, but I don't know about that.

I just wouldn't trust him to guard 3s. He can play that role on offense, but defensively I'd only want him on a big man or a really weak offensive wing

I see this add as just stability. Guy is open....nothing fancy...makes the bucket.
Get's a few rebounds....hits a few threes....

Bob is building a nice framework for meshing the rooks together with vets.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#28 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:01 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

According to basketball reference he playes only PF and C. Last season in Miami he played 69% of his minutes as a C, but it wasn't his best season, maybe for this reason.
Traditionally he's always played about 80% of his minutes a PF and the rest as C.
Otto Porter is a SF/PF hybrid, Bjelica is a PF/C.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#29 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:09 pm

He is a kind of poor man's Gallinari but he is a 4/5 rather than 3/4. Skilled, good shooter, he shoots if he is open, very slow, decent rebounder, decent passer.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#30 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:29 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:He is a kind of poor man's Gallinari but he is a 4/5 rather than 3/4. Skilled, good shooter, he shoots if he is open, very slow, decent rebounder, decent passer.

If he can play a decent 4/5, that's great for us since we have Porter and Kuminga who can play the 3/4. Myers said he wanted to get a shooting big who can spread the floor and sounds like Belly is the man. If he can play some small-ball 5, that pretty much punches Paschall's ticket to another team.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#31 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:31 pm

looks like he could shed 10-15 lbs
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#32 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:39 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:looks like he could shed 10-15 lbs

Same for me, so I'm onboard with this.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#33 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:44 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:looks like he could shed 10-15 lbs

If he plays the back-up 5 for us, he may need those extra pounds when he's banging bodies with guys like Dwight Howard and Steven Adams.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#34 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:46 pm

Samurai wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:He is a kind of poor man's Gallinari but he is a 4/5 rather than 3/4. Skilled, good shooter, he shoots if he is open, very slow, decent rebounder, decent passer.

If he can play a decent 4/5, that's great for us since we have Porter and Kuminga who can play the 3/4. Myers said he wanted to get a shooting big who can spread the floor and sounds like Belly is the man. If he can play some small-ball 5, that pretty much punches Paschall's ticket to another team.

Bjelica is 6-10, Paschall is 6-6. I'm not good with the imperial system, but that's 10 cm difference.
Paschall is heavier, but his lack of hops make him a terrible rebounder at 5, so I think Bjelica will be much better in that role.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#35 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:52 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Luke warm signing, couldnt we have given Gay 2/12?

I don't think so.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#36 » by Badly Browned » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:54 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:Luke warm signing, couldnt we have given Gay 2/12?

I don't think so.

Looks like Gay got the full tax payer Mid-Level.

But it looks like the Warriors are prioritizing Patty Mills with it.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
Samurai
General Manager

Post#37 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:54 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Bjelica is 6-10, Paschall is 6-6. I'm not good with the imperial system, but that's 10 cm difference.
Paschall is heavier, but his lack of hops make him a terrible rebounder at 5, so I think Bjelica will be much better in that role.

Agree, I think Belly fits the team need better than Paschall did. Paschall is better at driving to the cup - and that's about it. For his career, Belly is a much better 3-point shooter, better passer, better rim protector and better rebounder. Belly may or may not be a better defender in space, but since Paschall wasn't much more than a traffic cone himself it won't be much of a drop-off, if any.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#38 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:56 pm

I don't get why people keep talking about the Warriors lacking shooting. They had plenty of shooting, what they were missing was creating shots apart from Curry.

At this point that hole in the team's skill set is going to be filled with hope. Hope the offense can create the shots, hope that Poole will continue to grow into that role, hope that the newcomers bring some of that to the team.

That said I do like that most of the additions can shoot.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#39 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:09 pm

He'll be our stretch 5. He'll be obliterated defending at the 4.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#40 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:13 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Not only is he a good shooting big but he can do a lot of the high post/extended elbow passing that we got from Bogut. He is smart with the ball and good at setting screens on the perimeter. Good get at the minimum and hopefully they are getting Hill/Mills with the TPMLE

Aside from the obvious highlights of his 3-point shooting (some of which are Curry-like in distance), you can see how his passing to cutters would fit so well in a ball movement system that Kerr likes to employ. Seems like a great fit!

Return to Golden State Warriors