[Woj/Slater] Warriors sign Nemanja Bjelica to a one-year minimum deal

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Re: [Woj/Slater] Warriors sign Nemanja Bjelica to a one-year minimum deal 

Post#41 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:36 pm

my man played for Red Star Belgrade so you know he's bout it bout it
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,074

Post#42 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:39 pm

I'm assuming there is a Dejan Milojević connection here?
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#43 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:59 pm

Spellman #2?

I haven't watched Bjelica enough except for some highlights.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#44 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:11 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Between Kuminga, Moody, Porter and Bjelica, I absolutely love that we stocked up on wings.

That was by far our weakest point last season.

Our C position was a net -9.1

We really havent addressed our biggest issue yet, and doesnt seem like we will with RoLo not being inked
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:12 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Spellman #2?

Better than Spellman, he's a capable defender. Run of the mill stretch big with some defense, but a good pickup for the price. We really need to address rebounding at some point though
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#46 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:14 pm

He seems pretty solid. Nothing fantastic, but he does all the little things. He’s a vet professional.

Looks like a good rebounder. See him as one of this team’s center as I see Porter more as a PF. Seeing Porter running makes me suffer from anxiety attacks. Looks like he could tumble over and fall like some jenga pieces, so I see him more in the PF spot than guarding some speedy SF’s.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:18 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:

He seems pretty solid. Nothing fantastic, but he does all the little things. He’s a vet professional.

Looks like a good rebounder. See him as one of this team’s center as I see Porter more as a PF. Seeing Porter running makes me suffer from anxiety attacks. Looks like he could tumble over and fall like some jenga pieces, so I see him more in the PF spot than guarding some speedy SF’s.

12% is below average for a PF, though among our best unfortunately. Draymond averages about 12% rebrate as well, to give a barometer.

But our C's are in the 14% range too, also below average for the position, so we really need some help there.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#48 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:36 pm

FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

12% is below average for a PF, though among our best unfortunately. Draymond averages about 12% rebrate as well, to give a barometer.

But our C's are in the 14% range too, also below average for the position, so we really need some help there.

I think rebounding numbers depend on the coach and the surrounding team. If the coach chooses to play small ball it doesn’t do much for those numbers. Also if the team is undisciplined or not strong enough to block out, that also does not help. Also depends on role too.

Just going by what I see he does from video he does all the little things to secure the ball. Also Kuminga when he comes online is not afraid to secure the ball. The most disappointing was looking at Wiseman last year. It’s not in his natural disposition to mix it up. Kuminga should help him out as he gets older.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#49 » by HiRez » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:51 pm

We traded Smelly for Belly.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#50 » by Coxy » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:56 pm

I like this signing.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#51 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:00 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

I think rebounding numbers depend on the coach and the surrounding team. If the coach chooses to play small ball it doesn’t do much for those numbers. Also if the team is undisciplined or not strong enough to block out, that also does not help. Also depends on role too.

Just going by what I see he does from video he does all the little things to secure the ball. Also Kuminga when he comes online is not afraid to secure the ball. The most disappointing was looking at Wiseman last year. It’s not in his natural disposition to mix it up. Kuminga should help him out as he gets older.

Rebounding is just a factor of the overall end result of the defensive rating.

Our defensive rating is good.

Having said that, I cringe when we fail to get the defensive rebound after a missed shot.

Being better in rebounding also means less energy exerted to defend the 2nd shot, and therefore more energy on offense, and for fast break after rebounding the missed shot.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#52 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:10 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
FNQ wrote:12% is below average for a PF, though among our best unfortunately. Draymond averages about 12% rebrate as well, to give a barometer.

Rebounding is just a factor of the overall end result of the defensive rating.

Our defensive rating is good.

Having said that, I cringe when we fail to get the defensive rebound after a missed shot.

Being better in rebounding also means less energy exerted to defend the 2nd shot, and therefore more energy on offense, and for fast break after rebounding the missed shot.

Kerr goes small a lot. I get annoyed when we were giving up half a foot at all positions during the playoffs. Porter and Bjelica should help because they have some shooting range, so Kerr may be forced to play them.

The only thing they give up is speed though, so they may not play against young running teams. That’s where Wiseman and Kuminga has to get up to serviceable by mid season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#53 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:12 pm

At least part of the plan has to be Wiseman being better rebounding in year 2.

Kerr generally prioritizes offense over rebounding so the Warriors numbers are always going to be a little weak.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:18 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Understood - it affects our players more so than others - but my issue is that Bjelica wasnt playing for teams that do what we do, had a 12% rate, and hurt his teams on/off splits (which arent gospel, but dont paint a great picture either). Player tracking doesnt love him there, but like I said - he's better than what we had, which is good, but we still need some help there. But clearly its not a huge priority or else it would have been addressed
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#55 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:36 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:At least part of the plan has to be Wiseman being better rebounding in year 2.

Kerr generally prioritizes offense over rebounding so the Warriors numbers are always going to be a little weak.

Not sure how much Kerr or the previous coaches developed rebounding basics in youngsters but I'm assuming this will be part of Dejan Milojevic's curriculum for Wiseman. If nothing else, Milojevic was known for being a blue-collar rebounder who was a double-double machine in his own playing days.

Despite Wiseman's obvious lack of aggressiveness on the glass last season, he did lead the team (among those who played more than 10 games) in def reb% at 21.5. A big part of that is just being 7-feet tall under the basket. If he can be coached up on how to block out (remember he didn't get a regular pre-season last year) and can develop some more strength, which typically happens as players approach their peak physical years, he should be able to push that number even higher. If he can push that number to around 24, that would have been good for around 20th best in the league among qualifiers. Not sure if he'll ever have the mentality to go beyond that but at least that gets him to being an acceptable rebounder rather than a below average one.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#56 » by SpreeChokeJob » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:36 pm

FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
FNQ wrote:12% is below average for a PF, though among our best unfortunately. Draymond averages about 12% rebrate as well, to give a barometer.

Understood - it affects our players more so than others - but my issue is that Bjelica wasnt playing for teams that do what we do, had a 12% rate, and hurt his teams on/off splits (which arent gospel, but dont paint a great picture either). Player tracking doesnt love him there, but like I said - he's better than what we had, which is good, but we still need some help there. But clearly its not a huge priority or else it would have been addressed

I agree with you. He’s not fantastic. But for vet min, this team is getting value.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:38 pm

FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

It's really down to if they are still planning to sign anyone.

Chriss can fill the role and fits the scheme fairly well.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:40 pm

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:At least part of the plan has to be Wiseman being better rebounding in year 2.

Not sure how much Kerr or the previous coaches developed rebounding basics in youngsters but I'm assuming this will be part of Dejan Milojevic's curriculum for Wiseman. If nothing else, Milojevic was known for being a blue-collar rebounder who was a double-double machine in his own playing days.

Despite Wiseman's obvious lack of aggressiveness on the glass last season, he did lead the team (among those who played more than 10 games) in def reb% at 21.5. A big part of that is just being 7-feet tall under the basket. If he can be coached up on how to block out (remember he didn't get a regular pre-season last year) and can develop some more strength, which typically happens as players approach their peak physical years, he should be able to push that number even higher. If he can push that number to around 24, that would have been good for around 20th best in the league among qualifiers. Not sure if he'll ever have the mentality to go beyond that but at least that gets him to being an acceptable rebounder rather than a below average one.

Kerr complained about the lack of boxing out last year, but with essentially no off-season and no practice last year there was little they could do to change the fundamentals.

I hope they put the work in, but regardless Kerr's scheme is going to limit the player to lower individual rebounding numbers.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#59 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:48 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

With the Belly signing, would the team use another roster spot on another big? With Jessup a question mark as to whether he should get a spot, the potential need (at least in Myers' mind) that we need another PG, or the possibility of re-signing Iguodala, not sure if there are any extra slots for Chriss or another rebounding big.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:14 pm

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

With the Belly signing, would the team use another roster spot on another big? With Jessup a question mark as to whether he should get a spot, the potential need (at least in Myers' mind) that we need another PG, or the possibility of re-signing Iguodala, not sure if there are any extra slots for Chriss or another rebounding big.

It's certainly getting down to it now.

If Belly is a 4 then they have 2 5s and one is limited minutes and the other is Wiseman.

Kerr also likes having multiple backup 5s, and despite that habit has lost two titles to injuries at the position.

Return to Golden State Warriors