Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: [Woj/Slater] Warriors sign Nemanja Bjelica to a one-year minimum deal 

Post#61 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:43 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
It's really down to if they are still planning to sign anyone.

Chriss can fill the role and fits the scheme fairly well.

With the Belly signing, would the team use another roster spot on another big? With Jessup a question mark as to whether he should get a spot, the potential need (at least in Myers' mind) that we need another PG, or the possibility of re-signing Iguodala, not sure if there are any extra slots for Chriss or another rebounding big.

It's certainly getting down to it now.

If Belly is a 4 then they have 2 5s and one is limited minutes and the other is Wiseman.

Kerr also likes having multiple backup 5s, and despite that habit has lost two titles to injuries at the position.

My guess is that Kerr will use Belly as a stretch 5; too slow to play at the 4 and he spent much of his time last season as a back-up center. Or he could even resort to using JTA as an emergency 5 as he did last season if Looney, Wiseman, Belly and Dray are not all available. And as the game becomes more position-less, he could just put guys with a lot of length (if not height) across the court with Draymond, Kuminga, Porter/JTA and Wiggins to give you 4 guys with around a 7-foot wingspan and follow Kerr's usual pattern of asking everyone (including Curry) to hit the glass.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#62 » by and1GS » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:29 am

Agree. I think Bjelica will be used most as a stretch 5, but has the versatility to do high post stuff as a 4. I'd imagine him and Looney would be a great pairing. Looney gets in the right spots, Bjelica can operate from high post or spot up. Neither gets in the other's way with Looney never demanding the ball.

I think the depth should be fine - assuming Wiseman stays healthy. With Draymond playing ~15 per game at the 5, we just need Bjelica, Looney and Wiseman to combine for ~33 mpg. The big concern is obviously a regular season injury, which is very possible with that group.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#63 » by WarriorGM » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:44 pm

Along with Otto Porter Jr., Bjelica was one of those guys whose name kept popping up when I was looking for possible players that made sense for the team two or three years ago. My impression was he is a better player than most people think but was playing on a team going nowhere. It will be interesting to see how he'd do on a contending team. Former Euroleague MVP. The team hasn't exactly done well with Euro players though so we'll see.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:58 pm

Can Otto and Nemanja get and keep their confidence when playing with Curry/Klay/Dray. We've seen a bunch of players shrink in that situation.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#65 » by Mob Byers » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:17 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nemanja-bjelica-explains-how-his-warriors-contract-came-together

He really wanted to be here, didn't hesitate to take the offer. Hasn't talked with Steph/Dray/Klay yet but mentioned he talked with Wiggins (former teammates in Minny) and Andre (briefly together w/ Heat last season)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#66 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:58 am

He and wiggs had some good chemistry when they played together. Bjelly knew exactly where to get stationed for those wiggy drive and kicks.
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#67 » by TrueFan420 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:51 pm

He’s really gonna be the underrated pick up of the off season for us. He’s exactly what we’ve been missing as a big on our bench. Should park extremely well with Dray or Looney.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#68 » by floppymoose » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:14 am

I just hope he doesn't pull a Caspi and forget how to shoot. As long as he stretches the floor thats all i ask.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#69 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:38 pm

floppymoose wrote:I just hope he doesn't pull a Caspi and forget how to shoot. As long as he stretches the floor thats all i ask.

Caspi said later that playing with Klay and Curry messed him up with every miss. Supposedly Klay suffered the same way when he came in ... he credits his focus on defense on needing to find a way to contribute when his shot wasn't falling until he finally got over the yips Curry caused for him.

It's an interesting phenomenon ... Curry and Klay create amazing space for people to have open shots, but player after player has suffered with crashing confidence caused by playing with Curry and Klay.
gswhoop
Pro Prospect
And1: 32

Post#70 » by gswhoop » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:48 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I just hope he doesn't pull a Caspi and forget how to shoot. As long as he stretches the floor thats all i ask.

Caspi said later that playing with Klay and Curry messed him up with every miss. Supposedly Klay suffered the same way when he came in ... he credits his focus on defense on needing to find a way to contribute when his shot wasn't falling until he finally got over the yips Curry caused for him.

It's an interesting phenomenon ... Curry and Klay create amazing space for people to have open shots, but player after player has suffered with crashing confidence caused by playing with Curry and Klay.

Imagine Steph or klay passing up a shot just to get you the ball. You better make that shot!
Keith not so Smart
Mark don't know JACK about coaching..
Kerr Riding Coattails
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#71 » by xdrta+ » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:38 pm

gswhoop wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Imagine Steph or klay passing up a shot just to get you the ball. You better make that shot!

Maybe Curry, but c'mon, Klay never passes up a shot. Nor should he.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#72 » by cpower » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:59 am

Bjelica signing has been awesome. i think he is the key to the success, if he can make that 3s..our offense will get so much better.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#73 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:19 am

This signing will be one of the most impactful for this year. Having a legit stretch center instead of a total wild card like Wiseman will be night and day. I hope Warriors start him and bring Wiseman off the bench.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#74 » by Old_Blue » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:30 pm

This guy's not a legit center.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#75 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Old_Blue wrote:This guy's not a legit center.

I did some research into Bjelica for a Substack post I’ll link to, but Bjelica has actually performed very well at C in the past.

https://kellyroldan.substack.com/p/the-warriors-sign-nemanja-bjelica
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#76 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:14 pm

I’d like to point out I called it in March. :)
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#77 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:53 pm

He's the splash cousin.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#78 » by and1GS » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:This guy's not a legit center.

I did some research into Bjelica for a Substack post I’ll link to, but Bjelica has actually performed very well at C in the past.

https://kellyroldan.substack.com/p/the-warriors-sign-nemanja-bjelica

Good read. I think it's also important to re-consider what 'legit center' even means. If you don't have Jokic you should just find a flawed, roughly 5 shaped player that fits what you're trying to do and excels in a couple areas. We were best going small last year. Bjelica allows us to keep the spacing going small gives us while still keeping some size and not forcing us to play multiple offensive 0s (JTA and Dray) at once.

I think he will see most of his minutes at the 5. Fewer if Looney is healthy and Wiseman improves. More if either of those things falter. But the point is he does two things well IMO (3pt shooting and the gravity that comes with it // operating and distributing from the elbow) and getting that at the 5 is all we should be looking for when spending minimum dollars.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#79 » by Old_Blue » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:08 pm

At least he's got a little Nolan Ryan in him. :lol:

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#80 » by watch1958 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 4:10 pm

Old_Blue wrote:At least he's got a little Nolan Ryan in him. :lol:

:lol:
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.

Return to Golden State Warriors