ImageImageImage

Around the League: Offseason

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Re: Around the League: Offseason 

Post#1321 » by Arsenal » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:49 pm

I get we're not the top FA destination. But everyone signing elsewhere this summer has more to do with our ownership wanting to duck the tax than us being spurned.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,813

Post#1322 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:13 pm

Arsenal wrote:But everyone signing elsewhere this summer has more to do with our ownership wanting to duck the tax than us being spurned.

Give examples
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1323 » by Arsenal » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:14 pm

Stanford wrote:
Arsenal wrote:But everyone signing elsewhere this summer has more to do with our ownership wanting to duck the tax than us being spurned.

Give examples

I think it's incumbent on you to show we "missed out" on someone we wanted. Haven't seen any stories like that.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1324 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:18 pm

Arsenal wrote:I think it's incumbent on you to show we "missed out" on someone we wanted.

I don't have a position, you do. It's not incumbent on me to do anything.

I'd like to know who you think we could have/should have signed but couldn't because ownership said do.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1325 » by Arsenal » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:19 pm

Stanford wrote:
Arsenal wrote:I think it's incumbent on you to show we "missed out" on someone we wanted.

I stand by my position. It's pretty obvious the owners are trying to duck the tax. I think there has been reporting saying that.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1326 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:20 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:

I stand by my position. It's pretty obvious the owners are trying to duck the tax. I think there has been reporting saying that.

In your personal opinion, who should we have signed?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1327 » by Arsenal » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:23 pm

Stanford wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:

In your personal opinion, who should we have signed?

Kemba for $8M would be good.

S&T for Lowry would have helped.

Resigning Green would be helpful.

Are you trying to say ownership *is* willing to go into the tax but we got turned down by all these guys?
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#1328 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:27 pm

kuclas wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:Isn't Kemba from NY? Probably had something to do with it.

Kyle from philly…went to Miami. M
Morris twins from Philly. They aren’t signing with Philly

Sixers just don’t attract free agents. Unless we over pay them badly. And they are usually just average free agents.

Trust me, I've been watching this team for over two decades to know nobody is signing with us. My point was that the Knicks aren't a FA destination either (despite how badly ESPN lists them as one each summer), Kemba probably had some interest due to playing for his hometown and also due to lack of interest after all his injuries.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1329 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:31 pm

Arsenal wrote:Kemba for $8M would be good.

Reporting all day has been that a New York return is a dream come true for Kemba. Can't imagine Philadelphia even crossed his mind.

Wouldn't we have to send back equal salary? Would that have put us into the tax?

Heard Windhorst say on a podcast today that the Sixers were definitely interested in Lowry. For all we know, Lowry was set on the Heat. He sure seemed to be to me.

Arsenal wrote:Are you trying to say ownership *is* willing to go into the tax but we got turned down by all these guys?

I have no idea.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#1330 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:39 pm

Tank or trade is the only way to get a star (or even a very good player) in Philadelphia.

With the front office incompetence, bizarre medical happenings, fanbase reputation (mostly perpetuated by biased media, but we do deserve some blame), and **** weather half the year, is it really a surprise we are never the top destination even for the likes of an over-the-hill Kyle Lowry?

Fumbling as the number one seed didn't help either.

As much as I loved him, God blessed Jimmy Butler for getting his ass out of here.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,900

Post#1331 » by kuclas » Wed Aug 4, 2021 8:38 pm

Stanford wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Kemba for $8M would be good.

Reporting all day has been that a New York return is a dream come true for Kemba. Can't imagine Philadelphia even crossed his mind.

Wouldn't we have to send back equal salary? Would that have put us into the tax?

Heard Windhorst say on a podcast today that the Sixers were definitely interested in Lowry. For all we know, Lowry was set on the Heat. He sure seemed to be to me.

Arsenal wrote:Are you trying to say ownership *is* willing to go into the tax but we got turned down by all these guys?

I have no idea.

Florida has no state income taxes. So while some cities have professional visitors taxes. Florida has none of that. So at least half of his income is state income tax free.

Saying that. The Heat just tend to attract better free agents.

The Sixers are a big market team in name only. Guys just don’t want to play for us unless they have run out of options (Andre Drummond).

I’m surprised kork took 3-15 million. Guess no one else wanted him either. He’s sneaking pretty athletic 6 foot 7 guy who’s still young.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#1332 » by Wilfried » Wed Aug 4, 2021 8:55 pm

Kork is only 24. Still a lot of room for improvement. Like the signing, he can shoot, has size and is pretty athletic.

I like Lowry, but no way I would pay the guy 30 million a year because he's not making us a real contender.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1333 » by Stanford » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:19 pm

Laker fans just can't figure out why Sacramento would want to get rid of Buddy Hield
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#1334 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:04 am

GoSixersBro wrote:Tank or trade is the only way to get a star (or even a very good player) in Philadelphia.

With the front office incompetence, bizarre medical happenings, fanbase reputation (mostly perpetuated by biased media, but we do deserve some blame), and **** weather half the year, is it really a surprise we are never the top destination even for the likes of an over-the-hill Kyle Lowry?

Fumbling as the number one seed didn't help either.

As much as I loved him, God blessed Jimmy Butler for getting his ass out of here.

Yup, tank or trade.

I think you’re delusional if you are putting all your eggs that some top tier FA will sign here.

If he ever does, i’ll ask for a complete medical check-up, polygraph test, psychological tests and DNA tests because it’s very likely that he’s some damaged goods :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,733

Post#1335 » by Mik317 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:14 am

Philly is not a FA destination. Hell the Knicks also strike out on players in a better market. Players also don’t rush to go to Boston.

All three have a lot of things in common. Cold weather. Long histories. And of course ass home fans. The Lakers have the history part but a lot of their fans are celebrities and bandwagoners. And the LA lifestyle outweighs that regardless. Same for the Heat.

This is why the idea behind the process was good…. We just **** up outside of Biid lol. He feels like he owes us and can take the **** fans because he probably would be an **** fan too lol. Ben is too aloof for any of that and seems to be above it all.

But theme the breaks….until we break through expecting help to come via people wanting to come here is not happening
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,469

Post#1336 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:33 am

The last big name free agent we signed that I can remember was Elton Brand and he was injured for like...two years in a row I think. That was what? 2008? Yeah, no big name players ever come here. It's why it's so important that we keep the home grown talent. Either that talent grows and improves or we use it to trade for a vet star player. Embiid I think is wired the same way Iverson and Barkley were. He wants the challenge of surviving Philadelphia. He embraces the struggle of it. So did Barkley and AI, but even they were eventually shipped out. Barkley flat out asked for a trade after years of having no help. The direction with Iverson became clear for the same reasons. This will probably happen with Embiid eventually, but I hope not.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,088

Post#1337 » by Kobblehead » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:50 am

I actually think our appeal is ascending.

We've been a consistent winner for a few years now. We have a respected front office and coaching staff in place. We have a star.

So much of free agency is having capspace or having the ability to create capspace. This particular year, we didn't have either.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#1338 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:03 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I actually think our appeal is ascending.

We've been a consistent winner for a few years now. We have a respected front office and coaching staff in place. We have a star.

So much of free agency is having capspace or having the ability to create capspace. This particular year, we didn't have either.

L I F E S T Y L E

Players nowadays earn too much that the feeling in winning a championship is nowhere near as good as spending your $40-50M annual earning the right way.

If this is a corporation, you have a lot of overpaid employees who dont see its worth it to move up the corporate ladder.

Winning or losing, you still get the same amount of money. But the value you get from that money depends on how you spend it. With a their guaranteed overpaid salary, even if they dont come and work.

Decision also gets dictated by the preference of their family. Like between LA or Detroit, I think its better to raise a family in LA. Specially for these gold digging wives

Thats how i see it
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#1339 » by blargh » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:27 pm

It’s probably fairer to say that LA, Miami, and New York are top tier FA destinations, and Philly is just competing along with all the rest of the teams.

Except Utah. Utah’s at the bottom. :D
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,088

Post#1340 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:45 pm

https://www.nba.com/magic/roster

Look at this roster. Orlando is lowkey stacked.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers