psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,814

Re: Memphis 2021 Offseason Discussion 

Post#241 » by psman2 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:44 am

E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:Room exception targets? $4,910,000

Monk or Terence Davis?

Can we trade this exception in return of a couple of 2nds? That would be nice.

No can only be used to sign players. Can be a SNT though.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#242 » by E S V L » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:46 am

psman2 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
psman2 wrote:Room exception targets? $4,910,000

Monk or Terence Davis?

Can we trade this exception in return of a couple of 2nds? That would be nice.

No can only be used to sign players. Can be a SNT though.

I meant SNT, sorry. Let’s do it! Let’s pay off our debt.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#243 » by VCfor3 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:41 pm

First summer league game tonight. Ziaire won't play though until the NOP deal is official.
psman2
General Manager

Post#244 » by psman2 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:56 pm

OK so both of my room exceptions guys are gone....cheap too.

So who else is out there? We have a deep roster, but think we could land somebody and work a trade to alleviate depth issues.

Winslow back? It getting rather bleak out there. Cannot see Oubre taking it, and GS wouldn't take Bledsoe in a SNT and I wouldn't want to pay to dump on OKC to sign Oubre, so he is likely not a target.

So anyone else? Overseas guy maybe? Nigel Hayes looks like he could be a 3ND guy...maybe Tyler Dorsey back...he has looked nice overseas.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#245 » by VCfor3 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:54 pm

psman2 wrote:OK so both of my room exceptions guys are gone....cheap too.

So who else is out there? We have a deep roster, but think we could land somebody and work a trade to alleviate depth issues.

Winslow back? It getting rather bleak out there. Cannot see Oubre taking it, and GS wouldn't take Bledsoe in a SNT and I wouldn't want to pay to dump on OKC to sign Oubre, so he is likely not a target.

So anyone else? Overseas guy maybe? Nigel Hayes looks like he could be a 3ND guy...maybe Tyler Dorsey back...he has looked nice overseas.

I'm not sure we will have a roster spot right now for someone.

Ja/Tyus/Bledsoe
Allen/Bane/Melton/Konchar
Brooks/Ziaire
JJJ/Clarke
Adams/Tillman

That is 13 guys. We also seem likely to sign Tillie and Santi may be joining the roster. That would be our 15 right there.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#246 » by E S V L » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:46 pm

What are the time expectations for the NOP trade finalization?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#247 » by VCfor3 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:30 pm

E S V L wrote:What are the time expectations for the NOP trade finalization?

I want to say tomorrow is the first day that it can become official though they don't have to do it then if they are trying to wait and add something to the deal.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#248 » by E S V L » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:47 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

I want to say tomorrow is the first day that it can become official though they don't have to do it then if they are trying to wait and add something to the deal.

Any deadline?
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#249 » by E S V L » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:22 am

I want to write an article about why I have always disliked JV as a player and loved Adams for the same reason, but I don’t believe it can be seen as anything beyond my subjective view.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#250 » by VCfor3 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:41 am

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Any deadline?

The Trade Deadline in 2022 lol. But seriously I think both teams want their draft picks to play summer league so I imagine the deal is done tomorrow.
psman2
General Manager

Post#251 » by psman2 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:01 pm

Do we have plans for the little bit of cap space we created around 4.5m under I belief. Winslow is gone. Have the room exception too.

Anderson extension. Would he take something around 13-14m we can now offer? 4/50 seems like a nice number.

If we decide to play Bledsoe in the rotation then maybe a Jones trade. Josh Hart maybe? Depth at the 2/3.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#252 » by VCfor3 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:11 pm

psman2 wrote:Do we have plans for the little bit of cap space we created around 4.5m under I belief. Winslow is gone. Have the room exception too.

Anderson extension. Would he take something around 13-14m we can now offer? 4/50 seems like a nice number.

If we decide to play Bledsoe in the rotation then maybe a Jones trade. Josh Hart maybe? Depth at the 2/3.

I could see either Josh Hart (though that mucks up the SG rotation again ha) or an Anderson extension.

I honestly wouldn't be upset if we kept the space into the year. Some may get used to sign Tillie and/or Santi, but having pure cap space for a small dump could net us a 2nd or two at the deadline from a team trying to duck the tax.
psman2
General Manager

Post#253 » by psman2 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 9:47 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:Do we have plans for the little bit of cap space we created around 4.5m under I belief. Winslow is gone. Have the room exception too.

I could see either Josh Hart (though that mucks up the SG rotation again ha) or an Anderson extension.

I honestly wouldn't be upset if we kept the space into the year. Some may get used to sign Tillie and/or Santi, but having pure cap space for a small dump could net us a 2nd or two at the deadline from a team trying to duck the tax.

I am hoping that JJJ sees most of his minutes at the five, thus Anderson gets the bulk of the four minutes. So If that is true there could be some 3 minutes open until Williams if ready behind Brooks. So I don't mind Hart since I think he can defend the 3 without too much of a drop off. But maybe just giving Bane and Melton all the minutes they can handle to see what we have there is the better play and like Clarke/Anderson get minutes at 3. I like Hart but he is still just basically a jag.

I guess a lot depends on if we want to be a cap space team next year. JJJ extension could dictate that some if it gets done.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#254 » by VCfor3 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 10:19 pm

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I am hoping that JJJ sees most of his minutes at the five, thus Anderson gets the bulk of the four minutes. So If that is true there could be some 3 minutes open until Williams if ready behind Brooks. So I don't mind Hart since I think he can defend the 3 without too much of a drop off. But maybe just giving Bane and Melton all the minutes they can handle to see what we have there is the better play and like Clarke/Anderson get minutes at 3. I like Hart but he is still just basically a jag.

I guess a lot depends on if we want to be a cap space team next year. JJJ extension could dictate that some if it gets done.

I agree on Hart. I kind of wonder if we give Ziaire most of the backup 3 minutes behind Brooks anyway just to try and develop him. We may miss the playoffs, but I think the FO is okay with that. Afterwards you really have to start thinking of switching to a more win-now mindset, but for not a slower long term plan is fine.
psman2
General Manager

Post#255 » by psman2 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 10:37 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I could see either Josh Hart (though that mucks up the SG rotation again ha) or an Anderson extension.

I agree on Hart. I kind of wonder if we give Ziaire most of the backup 3 minutes behind Brooks anyway just to try and develop him. We may miss the playoffs, but I think the FO is okay with that. Afterwards you really have to start thinking of switching to a more win-now mindset, but for not a slower long term plan is fine.

Unless he shows he is ready from the start, I would guess Ziaire is g-league bound to work on his game and confidence. I think he stays down for the 1st 2 months of the season and then gets worked into the rotation. I hope I am wrong though and he comes out on fire.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#256 » by E S V L » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:56 pm

Are we turning Kanchar into a pointguard?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#257 » by VCfor3 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:33 pm

E S V L wrote:Are we turning Kanchar into a pointguard?

Think he is our 3rd/4th string guy for multiple positions lol
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#258 » by SD2042 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:58 pm

E S V L wrote:I want to write an article about why I have always disliked JV as a player and loved Adams for the same reason, but I don’t believe it can be seen as anything beyond my subjective view.

If you have the research and evidence to back up your story. Perhaps it may not come across as just a subjective view.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#259 » by E S V L » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:02 pm

SD2042 wrote:
E S V L wrote:I want to write an article about why I have always disliked JV as a player and loved Adams for the same reason, but I don’t believe it can be seen as anything beyond my subjective view.

If you have the research and evidence to back up your story. Perhaps it may not come across as just a subjective view.

Even with evidence, I think it is a waste time kind of activity. Those who love JV will keep loving him anyway. Only real games that come soon will show who is who.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#260 » by E S V L » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:33 pm

My impressions:

1. OMG, Bane has improved a lot. Not just improved, he has basically learned from scratch how to be a decent NBA pointguard - a light version of Luka. I want to see how it works in real NBA games, but just wow.
A+
2. Tillman is so smart and good. He has also improved his ballhandling skills (wut?).
A
3. Santi looks like a guy who has never played with these teammates and at this level. Wait, he is actually that guy, so no surprise here. He is raw. He is smart, he can shoot the ball, he certainly can pass and handle the ball, but he has to learn how to protect the rim (hey Xavier we need your help buddy). This kid needs 5-6 months. Talent is certainly there. He has quite a unique set of skills for a 6'10 guy.
B-
4. Tille is another guy who has really impressed everyone. He looks very confident in what he is doing - 3pt shooting or defense, it doesn`t matter. Just a complete good rotation NBA player. No way he will accept a 2 way contract. 3-4m per year at minimum.
A
5. McDermott is still somehow looking for this shooting consistency he lost right before the signing the contract with the Grizzlies. Besides, he has also looked improved almost in every area beyond shooting. If FO really promised him 2 years for development, he is on the right track. I am not sure FO hasn`t changed his mind though.
B-
6. Ziaire`s body resemble Durant`s one. That`s something you cannot teach or build. I am not sure what this kid has more - rawness or upside. Both are just huge. I don`t want to express any optimism here. I see why FO targeted him. I also see that it`s going to take tons of efforts and patience to develop him into a player our FO had in mind when they traded up for him. He needs games, practice, training, and our trust.
B
7. Konchar is just perfect.
A-
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies