Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: The state of Klay 

Post#21 » by Samurai » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:41 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:I believe the Achilles went while shooting a jump shot

And I think the days of Klay chasing small guards is over. There will be occasional switches he’ll have to deal with. But it’s not gonna ha the game plan for him anymore.

Currys stronger now anyhow and has been pretty decent defensively. Even if the rest of the World is stuck in a time warp. Because they don’t know Steph has improved defensively, and are the Same people who can never get past Wiggins improving. Their brains won’t let them process these improvements properly.

Yes, but some believe that tearing your Achilles while shooting a jump shot is not a freak injury; if he had "taken care of his body" he would have been fine. Similar logic that if he had been born on Krypton, he would have been fine. Sure.

And I agree with you that Klay will have better success guarding 3's going forward than 1's and 2's. Steph has been getting stronger but as he ages his lateral quickness will fade. Fortunately we have Wiggins. He can defend quicker guards even if they get a step on him due to his 7-0 wingspan. He has outstanding athleticism including long arms, quick feet, and great hops. Once Klay comes back, I think you will see Klay guarding more forwards and Wiggins handling the most dangerous guards.

That's why I think GP2 has an outside shot at making the roster. His defense is the best they have against high-scoring guards, of which there are many in the league. But we'll see, roster spots are scarce.

Would you take GP2 over Lee (assuming Lee has the inside track with a partially guaranteed contract and the Curry connection)? GP2 gives you better defense but Lee provides better spacing/shooting. Or do you think Lee's shooting is less critical this season than last year given the additions of Porter, Belly, Moody and the emergence of late-season Poole? I can see decent arguments either way, or even for another big like Chriss or Hartenstein.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#22 » by xdrta+ » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:50 pm

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:Yes, but some believe that tearing your Achilles while shooting a jump shot is not a freak injury; if he had "taken care of his body" he would have been fine. Similar logic that if he had been born on Krypton, he would have been fine. Sure.

And I agree with you that Klay will have better success guarding 3's going forward than 1's and 2's. Steph has been getting stronger but as he ages his lateral quickness will fade. Fortunately we have Wiggins. He can defend quicker guards even if they get a step on him due to his 7-0 wingspan. He has outstanding athleticism including long arms, quick feet, and great hops. Once Klay comes back, I think you will see Klay guarding more forwards and Wiggins handling the most dangerous guards.

That's why I think GP2 has an outside shot at making the roster. His defense is the best they have against high-scoring guards, of which there are many in the league. But we'll see, roster spots are scarce.

Would you take GP2 over Lee (assuming Lee has the inside track with a partially guaranteed contract and the Curry connection)? GP2 gives you better defense but Lee provides better spacing/shooting. Or do you think Lee's shooting is less critical this season than last year given the additions of Porter, Belly, Moody and the emergence of late-season Poole? I can see decent arguments either way, or even for another big like Chriss or Hartenstein.

Well, first, Lee doesn't have a partially guaranteed contract, GP2 does. Lee is fully guaranteed 1/10/22 when all non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed. GP2 has a small guarantee in 4 days on Aug 11, and $1.3M guaranteed on 10/17, before fully on 1/10. But that might favor Lee, the Warriors owe nothing until 1/10. Be that as it may, yes, I prefer GP2 for his defense and some rebounding.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#23 » by Samurai » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:00 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Well, first, Lee doesn't have a partially guaranteed contract, GP2 does. Lee is fully guaranteed 1/10/22 when all non-guaranteed contracts become guaranteed. GP2 has a small guarantee in 4 days on Aug 11, and $1.3M guaranteed on 10/17, before fully on 1/10. But that might favor Lee, the Warriors owe nothing until 1/10. Be that as it may, yes, I prefer GP2 for his defense and some rebounding.

Thanks for the clarification on the contracts. So if we keep Lee and cut him on 1/9/22, does that mean he just gets paid a prorated portion of the season up to that point? If so, could we use his vacant roster spot to sign another player, perhaps using the MLE that is still sitting there?
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#24 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:03 am

I read somewhere that Lee gets $500k guaranteed on 8/15?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#25 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:11 am

Samurai wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Samurai wrote:Would you take GP2 over Lee (assuming Lee has the inside track with a partially guaranteed contract and the Curry connection)? GP2 gives you better defense but Lee provides better spacing/shooting. Or do you think Lee's shooting is less critical this season than last year given the additions of Porter, Belly, Moody and the emergence of late-season Poole? I can see decent arguments either way, or even for another big like Chriss or Hartenstein.

Thanks for the clarification on the contracts. So if we keep Lee and cut him on 1/9/22, does that mean he just gets paid a prorated portion of the season up to that point? If so, could we use his vacant roster spot to sign another player, perhaps using the MLE that is still sitting there?

Yep, what he's been paid to that point is what goes on the tax bill.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#26 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:15 am

GunnerWRX wrote:I read somewhere that Lee gets $500k guaranteed on 8/15?

This is when he signed. Probably thinking of last year.

Read on Twitter
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,232

Post#27 » by Impuniti » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:05 am

Really hope he plays in the G league for a full month before he jumps into NBA basketball. Can take it easy to come back, will be able to get comfortable with the game and build his confidence bullying scrubs. Then after a month he comes on strong minute restrictions and then over time extend it bit by bit. Warriors can't afford to put him out there and let him get ready until he's fine like the Wiseman experiment last season.

Get him ready bit by bit until the playoffs start and then unleash him.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#28 » by sjballer03 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:12 am

I really hate Danny Green. He had no business trying to contest that dunk/layup from behind.

Did he think he was as athletic as a Lebron to block that? :banghead: :crazy:
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#29 » by shazam_guy » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:17 am

I doubt Klay will play much if at all in G League. I don't think they'll want to risk him in more than a tune-up game or two against G-Leaguers, for fear of injury.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#30 » by mos_def » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:22 pm

Klay shooting will be fine. His game for the most part can still translate post injury. He will probably be load managed in the season.

The defensive end I dont know about. His tenacity will always be there. He plays defense smart and on angles but he isnt defending the top Guard any more like Mylie said. Wiggins will probably draw that assignment now, which is why I dont want to trade him and relieve any stress that the team may incur if Klay does have of night while he continues to get NBA conditioned
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#31 » by killmongrel » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:47 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Read on Twitter

So the FO can cut him with no costs?
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#32 » by Brick Layer » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:20 pm

Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*

Gary Payton II $1,977,011 — 8/11/21 ($659,004 guarantees)
Damion Lee $1,910,860 — 8/15/21 ($500,000 guarantees)
Mychal Mulder $1,782,621 — 1/7/22

https://www.basketballinsiders.com/golden-state-warriors-team-salary/
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#33 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:24 pm

killmongrel wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Read on Twitter

Well, he gets paid for the time he's there, of course, pro-rated for however long that is. But they're not on the hook for the whole contract like they would be if it were a guaranteed contract. They can waive any non-guaranteed contract and that's the end of it.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#34 » by killmongrel » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Read on Twitter

Well, he gets paid for the time he's there, of course, pro-rated for however long that is. But they're not on the hook for the whole contract like they would be if it were a guaranteed contract. They can waive any non-guaranteed contract and that's the end of it.

Thanks.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#35 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:30 pm

killmongrel wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that on 1/10/22 all non-guaranteed contracts become fully guaranteed.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#36 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:54 pm

Samurai wrote:

And I think the days of Klay chasing small guards is over. There will be occasional switches he’ll have to deal with. But it’s not gonna ha the game plan for him anymore.

Currys stronger now anyhow and has been pretty decent defensively. Even if the rest of the World is stuck in a time warp. Because they don’t know Steph has improved defensively, and are the Same people who can never get past Wiggins improving. Their brains won’t let them process these improvements properly.

Yes, but some believe that tearing your Achilles while shooting a jump shot is not a freak injury; if he had "taken care of his body" he would have been fine. Similar logic that if he had been born on Krypton, he would have been fine. Sure.

I think if you are actually saying Klay should take better care of his body, and you’re actually serious, then I got a problem with that.

Klay and Ateph tan possibly the most on court miles and distance in the league for the five year Finals run than any other players. There might be another guy or two up there with them, but you get my point.

Saying Klay should take better care of his Jody is completely lame. Maybe I misunderstood, and I didn’t read the entire post because that line got me.

Please tell me you aren’t serious
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#37 » by NeoWarriors » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:06 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I think if you are actually saying Klay should take better care of his body, and you’re actually serious, then I got a problem with that.

Klay and Ateph tan possibly the most on court miles and distance in the league for the five year Finals run than any other players. There might be another guy or two up there with them, but you get my point.

Saying Klay should take better care of his Jody is completely lame. Maybe I misunderstood, and I didn’t read the entire post because that line got me.

He was actually quoting what that cpower guy had posted. He's the one who was saying that Klay hasn't taken care of his body or he wouldn't be in this situation.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
Samurai
General Manager

Post#38 » by Samurai » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:21 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

You would have to ask cpower. He's the one making the claim that Klay should have "taken better care of his body" to avoid those injuries. I have my own opinion about his post but don't want to post them here to avoid making any statements that could anger the mods.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#39 » by Warriorfan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:06 pm

I don't expect the all defense play where he guards the many top PG out there to ever come back but he should hit those open 3s the last 2 teams blanked.

Wiggins can pick up the slack.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#40 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:29 pm

My bad Samurai!!!
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors