2021 Summer League

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Re: 2021 Summer League 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:13 pm

stitches wrote:Hughes looks big out there... like... he looks more like a wing size than guard size. Still not sure he has skill translatable to the NBA.

The guy I've like best from our players is Trent Forrest. He looks like he's in complete control out there. He looks like he's outgrown that setting. Best compliment you can relaly give to a player at SL.

Morgan looks like the best defender out there.

Udoka looks similar to last year. If he can't defend in the league he will be out of the league. Doesn't have enough skill to justify paying second contract to a PnR big who is a minus defensively.

Is Udoka looking more like a Hassan than a Gobert?

Hughes is old so he is who he is, he might get cut if he looks average in summer league.

Forest from the highlights I have seen looks like he could be in competition for Conley’s backup with Butler.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#42 » by stitches » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:14 pm

GobertReport wrote:
Is Udoka looking more like a Hassan than a Gobert?

I'm not sure yet. Need to watch more of him...
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#43 » by Catchall » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:40 pm

Teague looked really good. I like his ability to shoot off the dribble, use hesitations and get shots off in without much space. He showed more offensively last night than Oni has in two years.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#44 » by CAE15 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:05 pm

stitches wrote:Hughes looks big out there... like... he looks more like a wing size than guard size. Still not sure he has skill translatable to the NBA.

The guy I've like best from our players is Trent Forrest. He looks like he's in complete control out there. He looks like he's outgrown that setting. Best compliment you can relaly give to a player at SL.

Morgan looks like the best defender out there.

Udoka looks similar to last year. If he can't defend in the league he will be out of the league. Doesn't have enough skill to justify paying second contract to a PnR big who is a minus defensively.
What games have you been watching? Azubuike has done a good job on defense. Outside of like one pocket pass that he was too far up on. Yes, he's much bigger than his competition so far but defense has not been a weakness. Conditioning however..
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#45 » by zero24gravity » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:56 pm

Teague looked good, as did Funderburk for the Blue team. Nice to see them bounce back after an ugly game 1. I'm a bit intrigued by Funderburk. 6'10" player who moves well & has shown some range.

Dok is man among boys, size wise ... and he's aggressive. Still need to see more from him, but so far so good. Forrest also looking like he's a step above most the summer league players.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#46 » by stitches » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Seems like Jared Butler will NOT play in Vegas for the Jazz. He's just getting in shape because he hasn't played full contact 5 on 5 due to his medical stuff and the panel he had to go in front of.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#47 » by Catchall » Sat Aug 7, 2021 9:40 pm

I thought Elijah Hughes would dominate in Summer League. It's been the opposite. He doesn't have the handle or the footwork to create separation for himself, so he isn't able to get shots off near defenders. This makes him more of a spot-up guy. However, he's not shooting well on catch-and-shoot opportunities either. His 3pt shooting so far is under 30%.

Overall, he's a good athlete and seems to be in decent shape, but by NBA standards he's only slightly above average athletically, if that. He plays some defense, but doesn't have the defensive impact that Brantley has due to Brantley's physical profile.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#48 » by AingesBurner » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:07 pm

Catchall wrote:I thought Elijah Hughes would dominate in Summer League. It's been the opposite. He doesn't have the handle or the footwork to create separation for himself, so he isn't able to get shots off near defenders. This makes him more of a spot-up guy. However, he's not shooting well on catch-and-shoot opportunities either. His 3pt shooting so far is under 30%.

Overall, he's a good athlete and seems to be in decent shape, but by NBA standards he's only slightly above average athletically, if that. He plays some defense, but doesn't have the defensive impact that Brantley has due to Brantley's physical profile.

I was never high on Hughes, seemed like a low upside pick thinking he could contribute right away due to his age. We should have taken Sam Merrill instead.
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#49 » by sip » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:31 pm

I wanted Jordan Nwora and I still want to acquire him somehow.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Catchall
RealGM

Post#50 » by Catchall » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:36 pm

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#51 » by tugs » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:39 pm

Wow Patton didn't even make the cut.

Malachi Richardson had some productive games with the Raptors. Wonder how he'll fare this time
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 976

Post#52 » by red4hf » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:11 pm

tugs wrote:Wow Patton didn't even make the cut.

Malachi Richardson had some productive games with the Raptors. Wonder how he'll fare this time

As someone said Patton is apparently playing for the Knicks in Vegas......

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2021/vegas/team/1610612752/knicks
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#53 » by babyjax13 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:18 am

Dok has been convincing in summer league, at least. He looks like he can get in a bit better shape, too, which is scary considering how athletic he is. Kinda feeling like there is a chance DL made the right decision in the draft ... but ... yah ... I'll hold off on pronouncing that until he sees minutes on the team.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#54 » by AingesBurner » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:31 am

babyjax13 wrote:Dok has been convincing in summer league, at least. He looks like he can get in a bit better shape, too, which is scary considering how athletic he is. Kinda feeling like there is a chance DL made the right decision in the draft ... but ... yah ... I'll hold off on pronouncing that until he sees minutes on the team.

I see young Shaq. Crazy if we get Shaq 2.0 with pick 30.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:53 am

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Dok has been convincing in summer league, at least. He looks like he can get in a bit better shape, too, which is scary considering how athletic he is. Kinda feeling like there is a chance DL made the right decision in the draft ... but ... yah ... I'll hold off on pronouncing that until he sees minutes on the team.

Not sure who I see yet, but he does shaq's signature dunk lol. Maybe his nickname can be Summerleague Shaq :lol:

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#56 » by CAE15 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Catchall wrote:I thought Elijah Hughes would dominate in Summer League. It's been the opposite. He doesn't have the handle or the footwork to create separation for himself, so he isn't able to get shots off near defenders. This makes him more of a spot-up guy. However, he's not shooting well on catch-and-shoot opportunities either. His 3pt shooting so far is under 30%.

I think Hughes might continue to add muscle and instead of being a scoring wing might fit into a big wing capable of playing the 4. Brantley and Hughes have both struggled with their shot. Hughes has at least done some other things besides just looking to score all the time, though he does do that.

Paul White for me is the guy that has stood out in summer league thus far. Minimum we need to bring him into training camp. I wouldn't mind him being one of our two way contracts. He can shoot, hustle, defend, even has a bit of a handle and can lead the break a bit and he's just an overall smart basketball player.
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#57 » by Charlie_S » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Seeing actual minutes is going to be difficult for Azubuike, barring injuries. On paper, Whiteside has to be ahead of him in the depth chart. I think that this upcoming season is going to be what the previous one couldn't be for him, due to injuries and a reduced G-League schedule.

Should he overperform and prove himself worthy he could still jump ahead of Whiteside to become Rudy's primary backup at some point, since Hassan is on a minimum deal and would be definitely expendable, but I think they'll be focusing on developing Azubuike's skills and body with the hopes that he can be a regular contributor in his third season. Of course I'd be happy to be wrong.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#58 » by babyjax13 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:07 pm

Charlie_S wrote:

Seeing actual minutes is going to be difficult for Azubuike, barring injuries. On paper, Whiteside has to be ahead of him in the depth chart. I think that this upcoming season is going to be what the previous one couldn't be for him, due to injuries and a reduced G-League schedule.

Should he overperform and prove himself worthy he could still jump ahead of Whiteside to become Rudy's primary backup at some point, since Hassan is on a minimum deal and would be definitely expendable, but I think they'll be focusing on developing Azubuike's skills and body with the hopes that he can be a regular contributor in his third season. Of course I'd be happy to be wrong.

I agree, he's probably a year away from rotation minutes. Learning from Gobert + Whiteside seems absolutely ideal for his development.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#59 » by Catchall » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:58 pm

Dok making plays. The impressive part to me is how hard he ran the floor.

Read on Twitter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#60 » by sip » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:10 am

GobertReport wrote:

No you don't see a young Shaq. Not even remotely close. At best you see Deandre Jordan.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Utah Jazz