ImageImageImageImageImage

Simmons yes or no

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Which Warriors team do you want to watch the next two to three years

Simmons and better chance at chip sooner - no brainer you nab the star player
21%
Competitive Warriors watching Wiseman and Kuminga develop - deeper team and longer term hopes
79%

Total votes: 71

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Simmons yes or no 

Post#121 » by and1GS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Same page. The versatility is tantalizing and like others have said, I refuse to believe Simmons is this worthless beta First Take and the General Board make him out to be. I've seen him play 30+ times by now and dude is nice.

Also with CPH that folks are going way overboard with playing him and Draymond together. We used to play center roulette with guys that brought nothing to the table except jumping high or being smart. Obviously times are different, but IMO that swings both way. Dray can't score for **** now so it complicates having two non scorers. However, but we have a far more unproven bench so there's a lot more ground we have to make up in the consistent quality department - Ben could theoretically bring that.

But again, I'm only willing to get him over here if it's for the low low cost of Wiggins and some picks. Wiseman/Kuminga/Wiggins and picks? Go **** yourself.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#122 » by Quazza » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Nice to see some people outside of me and Jes coming round to the fact Ben isn't some love level bum you wouldn't even swap for Wiggins

Real progress
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#123 » by whatisacenter » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Quazza wrote:Nice to see some people outside of me and Jes coming round to the fact Ben isn't some love level bum you wouldn't even swap for Wiggins

Real progress

oh come on! I have been a firm, meh, for the longest time!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#124 » by Phase 3 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:23 pm

There’s a lot of noise coming from local guys about Ben Simmons over the last few days. Maybe there’s some legs to this.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#125 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:26 pm

Phase 3 wrote:There’s a lot of noise coming from local guys about Ben Simmons over the last few days. Maybe there’s some legs to this.

They're bound to be right once in a while (once in a great while.) I just don't think this is it.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#126 » by tarantism » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Phase 3 wrote:There’s a lot of noise coming from local guys about Ben Simmons over the last few days. Maybe there’s some legs to this.
Link? The reports I've been seeing indicate that the Warriors are divided on it.

Interesting that a Simmons shooting video was released in conjunction with reports that the Warriors are concerned about his fit with Draymond.

Would be wild if the Dubs bought way low on Simmons and then he decided to start shooting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
FloydWarrior
Junior
And1: 182

Post#127 » by FloydWarrior » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 pm

It will be a game of patience as it seems he prefers to play with us, but on the other hand Slimey Morey hates the Warriors.

Wiggins + 1 young player + 1 draft pick / or Wiggins + 2 draft picks. Don't move an inch Bobby, we need **** depth in the roster.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#128 » by marthafokker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:43 pm

FloydWarrior wrote:It will be a game of patience as it seems he prefers to play with us, but on the other hand Slimey Morey hates the Warriors.

Wiggins + 1 young player + 1 draft pick / or Wiggins + 2 draft picks. Don't move an inch Bobby, we need **** depth in the roster.

Hopefully this becomes a Brow situation, that only GSW is the only play. And Simmons is no Brow, and get him for similar of what you indicated.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#129 » by HiRez » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 pm

If we see Kuminga or Moody held out of the SL lineup tonight, look out. "DNP - packing"?
HiRez
RealGM

Post#130 » by HiRez » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 pm

marthafokker wrote:
FloydWarrior wrote:It will be a game of patience as it seems he prefers to play with us, but on the other hand Slimey Morey hates the Warriors.

Hopefully this becomes a Brow situation, that only GSW is the only play. And Simmons is no Brow, and get him for similar of what you indicated.

Saw some article today that claimed he stated he was not interested in Toronto or Portland, so if true that narrows it down. Earlier he supposedly said he was interested in California, so that leaves Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Kings. He didn't rule out Sacramento but let's be honest, who is interested in going to Sacramento?
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#131 » by Phase 3 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 pm

HiRez wrote:If we see Kuminga or Moody held out of the SL lineup tonight, look out. "DNP - packing"?

Those guys can’t be traded until the first weekend in September. Gotta wait 30 days after signing a draft pick…

I don’t think those guys will be involved though. If a trade goes down, I think it will be Wiggins+Wiseman+pick…and the Sixers would turn around and trade that along with their own stuff to Portland for Dame.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#132 » by marthafokker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 pm

HiRez wrote:
marthafokker wrote:

Saw some article today that claimed he stated he was not interested in Toronto or Portland, so if true that narrows it down. Earlier he supposedly said he was interested in California, so that leaves Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Kings. He didn't rule out Sacramento but let's be honest, who is interested in going to Sacramento?

Furthermore, LAL has no picks. They only have 3 big salaries. Hell no Philly will take Westbrook back for Simmons. I think they are out.

LAC is similar situation as well.

That only leaves the Dubbs.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#133 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:31 am

xdrta+ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Barring injury, I'd say there is no chance of that happening. Green and Curry are too valuable together. And Simmons may be a great defender, but can he quarterback the defense like Draymond does? That's not something you pick up in a single training camp.

I’m not really for the deal. But with JTA and Looney in the first unit there is enough IQ to cover for defense along with Simmons talent.

As to the Green and Curry combo, Simmons is supposedly a point forward so he should be available to deliver or why bring him here. My contingency plan is to have Curry Green close the game if the Warriors bought damaged goods.

Re: Curry and Green, I think you're underrating the experience factor. After years of playing together, Green knows exactly where Curry will end up most of the time, and delivers the ball sometimes before he's even there. Regardless, if they bring in Simmons, they have to have a plan for Green and him to play together. Green really wouldn't have much value coming off the bench.

For me the Warriors the past recipe to the championship is through having three great shooters(Curry,Klay,KD) or 2 great shooters and 2 average ones(Curry,Klay, and Barnes or Iguodala or Green)

If they play Green and Simmons together, it means the opposing team will just guard Steph,Klay, and the key.

In strength in numbers, there were four guys who could shoot, so they could count on someone being open. Sometime it worked, Iguodala and other times it didn’t, Barnes. Now with two non shooters, the third guy will be left open a lot less.

I don’t see it working out with two non shooters on the starters. It just cuts down the real estate the defense has to cover and puts more pressure on the third guy as there is no fourth shooter and Steph, Klay will be covered. The opposing defense will try to force them off the three and try to funnel everything into the key taking away Curry, Klay, and Simmons offensive strengths away.

Since this team doesn’t have KD, and Klay is not fully recovered, a fourth above average shooter who can play defense will have to emerge for championship aspirations if they go with Kerr’s system.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,042

Post#134 » by Jester_ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 am

Agreed. Locker room disaster if they let Simmons start game 1. They're not getting anything better than Wiggins + Moody and they know it.

People will be butthurt about that trade, but it's the same people who were butthurt about trading Anthony Randolph, Kelenna Azubuike and Monta Ellis.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#135 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:39 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
I’m not really for the deal. But with JTA and Looney in the first unit there is enough IQ to cover for defense along with Simmons talent.

As to the Green and Curry combo, Simmons is supposedly a point forward so he should be available to deliver or why bring him here. My contingency plan is to have Curry Green close the game if the Warriors bought damaged goods.

Re: Curry and Green, I think you're underrating the experience factor. After years of playing together, Green knows exactly where Curry will end up most of the time, and delivers the ball sometimes before he's even there. Regardless, if they bring in Simmons, they have to have a plan for Green and him to play together. Green really wouldn't have much value coming off the bench.

For me the Warriors the past recipe to the championship is through having three great shooters(Curry,Klay,KD) or 2 great shooters and 2 average ones(Curry,Klay, and Barnes or Iguodala or Green)

If they play Green and Simmons together, it means the opposing team will just guard Steph,Klay, and the key.

In strength in numbers, there were four guys who could shoot, so they could count on someone being open. Sometime it worked, Iguodala and other times it didn’t, Barnes. Now with two non shooters, the third guy will be left open a lot less.

I don’t see it working out with two non shooters on the starters. It just cuts down the real estate the defense has to cover and puts more pressure on the third guy as there is no fourth shooter and Steph, Klay will be covered. The opposing defense will try to force them off the three and try to funnel everything into the key taking away Curry, Klay, and Simmons offensive strengths away.

Since this team doesn’t have KD, and Klay is not fully recovered, a fourth above average shooter who can play defense will have to emerge for championship aspirations if they go with Kerr’s system.

Honestly every time I type out something and I'm sure of my choice (Simmons or not) I'm confused by the end of it lol.
Simmons is a dominant presence on the floor...no doubt. Curry, Klay, Simmons, Draymond would be explosive and the turnovers and defensive created by Draymond and Simmons would have them running it back all regular season.
And IF they had the third dominant scorer....maybe Poole starting and arriving at that level....then having Draymond and Simmons feast defensively and taking turns feeding the splash bros....nice.

But there is this nagging worry about Simmon's cancerous effect on the chemistry of this team :(

Think of Spreewell back in the day...how he poisoned the team. Would Simmons be Spree and Wiseman be Joe Smith?

Bottom line for me: If I had evidence that Simmons was a motivated team leader and character guy....I'd want him on the team. With out that I'm still just not sure.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#136 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:35 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Honestly every time I type out something and I'm sure of my choice (Simmons or not) I'm confused by the end of it lol.
Simmons is a dominant presence on the floor...no doubt. Curry, Klay, Simmons, Draymond would be explosive and the turnovers and defensive created by Draymond and Simmons would have them running it back all regular season.
And IF they had the third dominant scorer....maybe Poole starting and arriving at that level....then having Draymond and Simmons feast defensively and taking turns feeding the splash bros....nice.

But there is this nagging worry about Simmon's cancerous effect on the chemistry of this team :(

Think of Spreewell back in the day...how he poisoned the team. Would Simmons be Spree and Wiseman be Joe Smith?

Bottom line for me: If I had evidence that Simmons was a motivated team leader and character guy....I'd want him on the team. With out that I'm still just not sure.

Past history predicts future behavior. There is nothing that suggests he will improve or behave well.

In the NBA, offense trumps defense. Simmons does not fit the Warrior’s offensive scheme unless one of him or Dray plays from the bench.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#137 » by WarriorGM » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:44 pm

I haven't really heard enough of Simmons so far to think he is at cancer level. Maybe unmotivated and sitting on his laurels but not yet actively negative. The most cancerous thing he's done so far is threaten to sit out or sandbag if he stays on the Sixers. Of concern so it might place him in the same category as Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, and Kyrie Irving. Would you say no to a trade for any of those guys based solely on concerns they would be a team cancer?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#138 » by shazam_guy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:59 pm

Actually, I'd be very reluctant to trade out a lot of talent for any of those guys, for various reasons, but mostly having to do with betting the franchise on touchy players who've shown they're more interested in their own careers than the good of the team. Maybe a bit unfair -- they all had their reasons -- but the Warriors culture is one of the things that made them a great team during the championship run. Durant coming in and going out stretched the limits of it, but Durant was not as disruptive as any of those guys, and we're still recovering from losing him. I don't want to make that same bet again, especially at the cost of a bunch of future/present young talent.

Summary: I don't like the "find a savior" option. I'm patient and I'm interested in seeing the young core develop.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#139 » by HiRez » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Obviously you hope to get Simmons to shoot more jumpers. But I think we could work around that. It's really the freethrow shooting that is the biggest concern IMO. Because not only is that not great on its own, but it's what's preventing him from even wanting to handle the ball from anywhere, particularly inside where he's actually very efficient. A Simmons who won't shoot the 3 is survivable, but a Simmons who is afraid to touch the ball in crunch situations is a catastrophic problem. And honestly, you could probably even live with 61% freethrow shooting because it's still points and it's still putting fouls on defenders. But how do you convince him that's OK (before working to see if you can get that % up some)?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#140 » by shazam_guy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Back to the original question: How much future are you willing to trade away for a player, however great he COULD be, who is broken now? Seems like it's a lot of the same people (not you, HiRez) who complained that we couldn't develop players who are so certain we should bring in Simmons (and, presumably, "fix" him).

Return to Golden State Warriors