Summer league

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Re: Summer league 

Post#121 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:19 pm

JMichael's yesterday's game story is more complementary on Stanley than I was. he also says he's the same size as Duarte although the roster has him an inch shorter. I'll try to watch him closer next time out.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#122 » by 8305 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:51 pm

Liked what I saw of Durate. Looks like he could be a crazy shooter while being able to score in other ways. As one would expect from a 24 year old rookie he looks like he knows how to play. Came away from this game wondering if Hawks with Cooper and Johnson scored better than us? Also like what I saw from Jackson. Looked like he will be able to defend on the perimeter and as others have said he looks pretty good on his foul shots. To me this pick only makes sense if he can play the 4 and what I saw looks encouraging.

I think Duarte will look better when he's not the initiator of the offense. Put him out there with Sabonis and Brogdan where he can just look to shoot and he's playing with guys who can get him those shots. He might be lethal under those circumstances.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#123 » by Topofthekey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:39 pm

8305 wrote:Liked what I saw of Durate. Looks like he could be a crazy shooter while being able to score in other ways. As one would expect from a 24 year old rookie he looks like he knows how to play. Came away from this game wondering if Hawks with Cooper and Johnson scored better than us? Also like what I saw from Jackson. Looked like he will be able to defend on the perimeter and as others have said he looks pretty good on his foul shots. To me this pick only makes sense if he can play the 4 and what I saw looks encouraging.

I think Duarte will look better when he's not the initiator of the offense. Put him out there with Sabonis and Brogdan where he can just look to shoot and he's playing with guys who can get him those shots. He might be lethal under those circumstances.

Yes. Very much yes

I am looking forward to watching Duarte play together with Domas

Duarte looks like he knows how to exploit screens and move without the ball
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#124 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Good sign coaching changing up the starting lineup with Sykes, Duarte, Jackson,Stanley, and BJ Johnson. They know what they have in Brissett and no use playing Brimah.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#125 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:04 pm

First half observations.
I Jackson excellent quick turn and dunk also very active on defense and rebounding

Duarte of course scoring but on defense in a few games now he’s all about effort blocking shots a few times now.

K Sykes finally showed a bit of offense. Playing well and getting run.

D Washington back to hitting a couple shots today.

Taylor finally got in the game and hopefully he gets more time to show his game.

Stanley only got 7 minutes but didn’t play bad or stand out.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#126 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:13 pm

It’s early in the evaluation process but my summer league leaders to have a future in one way or another are :

Stanley
Sykes
Washington

Of course Duarte, Jackson, and Brissett are givens to make the roster.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#127 » by Pacersike » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:03 am

Strong minded two way players are perfect for Pacers.

Hops are fun to watch and are effective too.

It's going to be another entertaining season :D .
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Post#128 » by Ree4erMadness » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Duarte balling again, like usual. Just like I said he would.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#129 » by Tom White » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 pm

Wizop wrote:JMichael's yesterday's game story is more complementary on Stanley than I was. he also says he's the same size as Duarte although the roster has him an inch shorter. I'll try to watch him closer next time out.

To me, Stanley has all the tools to be a good player for the Pacers. Maybe it is just taking him a while to put it all together? Not sure.

I'll add this. After watching more of the summer league games, I'll rescind my comment about Sykes sucking. His play has improved as he has gotten more time.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#130 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:49 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:JMichael's yesterday's game story is more complementary on Stanley than I was. he also says he's the same size as Duarte although the roster has him an inch shorter. I'll try to watch him closer next time out.

To me, Stanley has all the tools to be a good player for the Pacers. Maybe it is just taking him a while to put it all together? Not sure.

I'll add this. After watching more of the summer league games, I'll rescind my comment about Sykes sucking. His play has improved as he has gotten more time.

It’s always hard for me in summer league to make any firm judgements. Sometimes guys look terrible, but I always wonder if its because the coaches asked them to focus on something in particular? Or if they asked Sykes to help distribute more than anything? Or other things of the like. I wonder if that was the case here with Sykes. He’s already got an invite to camp, so maybe he was being more of a team guy since he had little to prove at summer league?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#131 » by Tom White » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:He’s already got an invite to camp....

Camp is going to be really interesting for this team. They are going to have some tough decisions to make. At least from this outsiders viewpoint the decisions will be tough.

We pretty much know what most of the regular season roster will look like, but when you get to those last couple of spots, and the two-ways, who knows? Will they bring Sampson back? I'd have to say no, but again, who knows? What about Stanley? Martin? Sykes? Some may have to settle for Mad Ants contracts, which still ain't a bad thing.

It will be interesting.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:15 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#133 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:06 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think we talked about this possibly happening. So currently 2 ways are Washington and Brimah.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:55 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I think we talked about this possibly happening. So currently 2 ways are Washington and Brimah.

Brimah has no guarantee, and it sounds like they pulled Stanley’s QO to clear a spot for a PG, if they can’t move Lamb for one.

I think Washington showed them enough to make it hard for Stanley, though I bet if they could move Lamb, they’d still try and keep Stanley.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#135 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:58 pm

I still don't see how moving Lamb makes it any easier to give Stanley a 2 way. I don't think he's earned a regular contract, but if he had there's Martin's spot.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:10 pm

Wizop wrote:I still don't see how moving Lamb makes it any easier to give Stanley a 2 way. I don't think he's earned a regular contract, but if he had there's Martin's spot.

Sent from my phone.

Just my gut, but it seems they don’t want to lose Martin, but still need a 3rd PG, so if they don’t move Lamb for it, they might have to put one in the 2 way. I’d take it as moving Lamb is the priority, but they won’t just waive him (nor should they, not that anyone here has ever said they should).
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#137 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:55 pm

I talk about getting rid of Lamb like he’s a steaming pile of poo but he’s better than the 8th-9th man on most of the NBA rosters. I liked the free agency move to bring him in and I never thought it would not work out. I envisioned him as good as McDermott turned out for us, but injury and IMO not a great fit screwed it up.

Problem now is coming off surgery and the 10 million contract is a tougher call for teams. I’m hopeful that he can be moved, a point guard added, Stanley, Sykes, Washington retained.
Brimah to the mad ants. Also I wouldn’t be tore up if any or all of these players were Mad Ants or on two ways.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I talk about getting rid of Lamb like he’s a steaming pile of poo but he’s better than the 8th-9th man on most of the NBA rosters. I liked the free agency move to bring him in and I never thought it would not work out. I envisioned him as good as McDermott turned out for us, but injury and IMO not a great fit screwed it up.

Problem now is coming off surgery and the 10 million contract is a tougher call for teams. I’m hopeful that he can be moved, a point guard added, Stanley, Sykes, Washington retained.
Brimah to the mad ants. Also I wouldn’t be tore up if any or all of these players were Mad Ants or on two ways.

Including 2 ways, even if Lamb is swapped for a PG, there would not be room for Stanley, Sykes, and Washington, as there’s only be two 2 way spots available, unless you also waive Kelan Martin to keep one of them (I would not).
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#139 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I talk about getting rid of Lamb like he’s a steaming pile of poo but he’s better than the 8th-9th man on most of the NBA rosters. I liked the free agency move to bring him in and I never thought it would not work out. I envisioned him as good as McDermott turned out for us, but injury and IMO not a great fit screwed it up.

Including 2 ways, even if Lamb is swapped for a PG, there would not be room for Stanley, Sykes, and Washington, as there’s only be two 2 way spots available, unless you also waive Kelan Martin to keep one of them (I would not).

I don’t want to lose Martin. Can’t Washington be one 2 way and Stanley be the other and Sykes be a Mad Ants player ? Assuming we fill the roster with players not currently associated with us ?
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#140 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:23 pm

Interesting Brissett not in lineup again.

Stanley
Duarte
Sykes
B Johnson
I Jackson

Return to Indiana Pacers