ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#501 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:17 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Agreed. He might not be a superstar ever, but he’s going to be a good player. I think they botched the pick tbh, but we won’t know for years.

A majority of this forum since the lotto were talking about moving up or back to avoid being stuck with selecting Barnes or Kuminga.

There were only a handful of posters that were A-O-K taking Barnes if they weren’t “settling” with the fact that it was a forgone conclusion after nearly every mock draft had the same order.

They did us a favor.

I just don’t get the mental gymnastics they are making about the two players. They are vastly different and obviously Masai valued what Barnes theoretically brings to the table years from now.

We can all agree that this draft class looks unusually strong...and, arguably, ORL won the draft :nod:

Well.. HOU might have a word but YES...yes we did LOL

The draft is not a single winner takes all event.

There are multiple winners.

Houston and Orlando are early winners. I believe Golden State will be as well along with a few others as this class is unusually deep.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#502 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:20 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Are you guys paying attention to the Toronto summer league thread? They are not handling the Suggs success well.

its expected and i dont even go over there anymore.

What’s crazy is Barnes is not playing poorly and has had some moments which are absolutely ungodly. If those moments become the norm for him … it’s over. He is the #1 best player from this class and likely a true franchise NBA Super Star.

They are freaking out waaaaaaay too early.

Really? Are you assuming the other top-picks or player won't improve? For me, the only way Barnes could be #1 in this class if he is the only one to improve.

What if Cade improves lateral quickness? He already has everything to be Luka-like in his play.
What if J.Green gets stronger to be able to absorb contact? Hello Tmac/Kobe
What if Mobley bulks-up an can bang down low already? That is AD- Like
What if Kuminga tightens his ball-handling and slows the game? He already has the agression and offensive skills. That's Kawhi-like

Barnes is a 6'7 without shoes forward that wants to play PG. For now, he doesn't have the footspeed to guard or blowby the opposing guards he wants to matchup with.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#503 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:26 pm

KillMonger wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:ehh, i cant say that. that assumes that no other top player is also developing more. People were already putting a ceiling on Suggs, saying he wasnt a scorer and isnt a true PG. the kid is 20, he could easily develop those skills. Skills that he already has and maybe just didnt use as much based on his coaches strategy in college, etc. And Green looks like he can score, maybe he develops better defense and passing over the next few years and becomes Tracy McGrady?

I agree its way too early for judgements on any player, but especially saying that Barnes would be the #1 player of the class and disregarding any other player getting better also.

That’s completely incorrect.

My comment in no way assumes others are not also improving. It is just a fact that Barnes is massive while also having a fineness to his game that you don’t see. Combine that with his fire and passion and it’s a rare combo. If some of those offensive flash’s he showcased become common for him then he is going to unstoppable … similar to how Giannis is can really only be slowed by his own poor shooting.

… with all that said, Suggs looks ready to be a star today. I’m quite happy with our pick. I’m just rolling my eyes at the Raptor fans ready to jump off a roof.

Difference between Giannis and Barnes is that Giannis is actually explosive...he doesn't need a full head of steam to get by his man in the halfcourt...that is what is going to hold Barnes back, he has an average first step and to add to that he doesn't have the kind of handle to break down his man off the dribble, that just isn't his game. He did show a nice turnaround the other day which was nice so there is some hope there but watching that past game he was consistently having issues getting by somebody like kuminga who i wouldn't say is a good defender....he's not a side to side guy, at least at this point...he's north to south if they can get him going north to south he can be tough to stop but that leads to a different issue....he's not finishing as strong as he should around the basket....when he gets there it's some kind of finesse layup instead of a power move....happened quite a bit in college and so far i still see it happening now

The plus side is the jumpshot still needs a lot of work but it isn't as broken as some people will tell you...although i've yet to see him take an off the dribble shot other than that turnaround so maybe that isn't in his bag just yet...the flashes are there though....but Giannis? not quite my guy...think Giannis if he moved like Kyle Anderson

There is anothe difference between GA and Barnes. Their height. Whether anyone admits it or not, GA would not be GA if he is 6'7/6'8. It's because he is practically like KD or JI height of 6'11 with his body type that he can do all those.

Barnes for now is still 6'8 ( to be generous ). Will he still grow? Who knows. When we got Dwight at 6'9 barefoot we waited for him to grow a few inches.. and he did, to 6'9-1/2 (lol)
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#504 » by Horcy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:46 pm

RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
That’s completely incorrect.

My comment in no way assumes others are not also improving. It is just a fact that Barnes is massive while also having a fineness to his game that you don’t see. Combine that with his fire and passion and it’s a rare combo. If some of those offensive flash’s he showcased become common for him then he is going to unstoppable … similar to how Giannis is can really only be slowed by his own poor shooting.

… with all that said, Suggs looks ready to be a star today. I’m quite happy with our pick. I’m just rolling my eyes at the Raptor fans ready to jump off a roof.

Difference between Giannis and Barnes is that Giannis is actually explosive...he doesn't need a full head of steam to get by his man in the halfcourt...that is what is going to hold Barnes back, he has an average first step and to add to that he doesn't have the kind of handle to break down his man off the dribble, that just isn't his game. He did show a nice turnaround the other day which was nice so there is some hope there but watching that past game he was consistently having issues getting by somebody like kuminga who i wouldn't say is a good defender....he's not a side to side guy, at least at this point...he's north to south if they can get him going north to south he can be tough to stop but that leads to a different issue....he's not finishing as strong as he should around the basket....when he gets there it's some kind of finesse layup instead of a power move....happened quite a bit in college and so far i still see it happening now

The plus side is the jumpshot still needs a lot of work but it isn't as broken as some people will tell you...although i've yet to see him take an off the dribble shot other than that turnaround so maybe that isn't in his bag just yet...the flashes are there though....but Giannis? not quite my guy...think Giannis if he moved like Kyle Anderson

There is anothe difference between GA and Barnes. Their height. Whether anyone admits it or not, GA would not be GA if he is 6'7/6'8. It's because he is practically like KD or JI height of 6'11 with his body type that he can do all those.

Barnes for now is still 6'8 ( to be generous ). Will he still grow? Who knows. When we got Dwight at 6'9 barefoot we waited for him to grow a few inches.. and he did, to 6'9-1/2 (lol)

Maybe that's the reason why Dwight then got dreadlocks XD
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#505 » by RookieStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Difference between Giannis and Barnes is that Giannis is actually explosive...he doesn't need a full head of steam to get by his man in the halfcourt...that is what is going to hold Barnes back, he has an average first step and to add to that he doesn't have the kind of handle to break down his man off the dribble, that just isn't his game. He did show a nice turnaround the other day which was nice so there is some hope there but watching that past game he was consistently having issues getting by somebody like kuminga who i wouldn't say is a good defender....he's not a side to side guy, at least at this point...he's north to south if they can get him going north to south he can be tough to stop but that leads to a different issue....he's not finishing as strong as he should around the basket....when he gets there it's some kind of finesse layup instead of a power move....happened quite a bit in college and so far i still see it happening now

Should've went with an afro to be called a 7footer lol
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#506 » by Horcy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:56 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Horcy wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Should've went with an afro to be called a 7footer lol

Absolutely. Well...it worked for Ben Wallace
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#507 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#508 » by Knightro » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I would rank them so far...

1. Green
2. Suggs
3. Barnes
4. Mobley
5. Cunningham
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#509 » by tooler » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:41 pm

I wouldn't mind if Barnes and Raptors fans simply disappeared from the earth so I can enjoy our new draft pick in peace.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#510 » by basketballRob » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Just saw Paige Bueckers doing an interview while the Wizards and Nets are playing. She must be there to support Jalen. I know that's the court we'll be playing on.

Here's her interview from the other day when she was there for Jalen's game.

I think she's taller than Cole.

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#511 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 pm

basketballRob wrote:Just saw Paige Bueckers doing an interview while the Wizards and Nets are playing. She must be there to support Jalen. I know that's the court we'll be playing on.

Here's her interview from the other day when she was there for Jalen's game.

I think she's taller than Cole.

I'd start her over Cole.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#512 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Jalen's supporting cast. Chet Holmgren, Paige Bueckers, and Hailey Van Lith.

If we get another top 5 pick, I could see Chet trying to force his way here.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#513 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Just out of curiosity.. is there something going on bet Suggs and Paige?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#514 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 pm

RookieStar wrote:Just out of curiosity.. is there something going on bet Suggs and Paige?
I think they're friends, and he's dating the other girl who is also a basketball player.

RookieStar
RealGM

Post#515 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Just out of curiosity.. is there something going on bet Suggs and Paige?
I think they're friends, and he's dating the other girl who is also a basketball player.

Who is hotter between the 2? LOL jok

Seriously though, I mean it's just that Suggs and that girl PAige has been linked ever since on draft night. Anyhoo... future banana boat buddies? Suggs RJ and Chet?

I personally think Banchero is better for us but can't be too greedy.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#516 » by basketballRob » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 pm

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Who is hotter between the 2? LOL jok

Seriously though, I mean it's just that Suggs and that girl PAige has been linked ever since on draft night. Anyhoo... future banana boat buddies? Suggs RJ and Chet?

I personally think Banchero is better for us but can't be too greedy.
They were at the Espy's together too, she won the female athlete of the year.

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#517 » by Knightro » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#518 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

NOOOOOOOOO not another JI, Bamba, Okeke 1st-year sideline!!!

Seriously.. thumb sprain?
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,529

Post#519 » by penny_nz » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:06 am

Thumb sprain, off hand, no big deal. Pleased that's all it was and they're being cautious. With the way this dude plays and his toughness, you know if there was an important game tomorrow he'd tape that up and get on with it. I love the intangibles with this guy, really haven't seen a natural, 2 way leader like this in our team in a good long while
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,070

Post#520 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:24 am

penny_nz wrote:Thumb sprain, off hand, no big deal. Pleased that's all it was and they're being cautious. With the way this dude plays and his toughness, you know if there was an important game tomorrow he'd tape that up and get on with it. I love the intangibles with this guy, really haven't seen a natural, 2 way leader like this in our team in a good long while

Love this guy and the heart he plays with but one thing that struck me is how many times he hits the floor he has a tough strong frame but has to work on finishing while staying balanced. Will limit the injury chances.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.

Return to Orlando Magic