Welcome Paul Reed

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Re: Welcome Paul Reed 

Post#221 » by 76ciology » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:18 am

Averaging 2.0 stls per game and 2.0 bpg in summer league
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#222 » by Kobblehead » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:54 pm

Phenomenal defensive F. I think the final step to get him to perfect his game is for him to embrace an offensive role than entails screen & roll and catch & shoot. I don't think he's talented enough for the high post isolation drives.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#223 » by ROballer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:42 am

76ciology wrote:Averaging 2.0 stls per game and 2.0 bpg in summer league

He basically averaged this anywhere per 36. College, G-League, NBA. Close to that mark everywhere.

This is a **** monster and he needs to play. No but's, if's, meh's.

Play this man Rivers! Or if not trade him, he would look silly good on a bunch of rebuilding teams with his stat lines.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#224 » by ROballer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:44 am

27/20/4/4/4

Even hit 2/3 3's. Good grief.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#225 » by Tomjas » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 am

ROballer wrote:
76ciology wrote:Averaging 2.0 stls per game and 2.0 bpg in summer league

He basically averaged this anywhere per 36. College, G-League, NBA. Close to that mark everywhere.

This is a **** monster and he needs to play. No but's, if's, meh's.

Play this man Rivers! Or if not trade him, he would look silly good on a bunch of rebuilding teams with his stat lines.

They should have played him more LAST season
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#226 » by Madd Squabbles » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:53 pm

I'm becoming a fan of B-Ball Paul! Yes, I know that G League and Summer League are nothing like the NBA but last year he shot 44.4% from happy land in G League on 3.6 shots per game and he's starting to hit his 3s in Summer League as well. If he can shoot 35 to 36% during the NBA season and in the playoffs, this team will be much improved!

I would love to see Reed be the main backup at the 4/5. He has so many strengths. He's a great rebounder, defender, rim protector, and finisher at the rim. He does the dirty work. If he can hit that 3 at a decent rate he will give us the spacing we need while not having to play one-dimensional players like Drummond and Niang.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#227 » by blargh » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:13 am

Seriously think this kid could be Rodman on defense and Montrezl on offense. What a combo that would be.

On defense, his positioning could be better, but he’s just so active.

On offense, he’s not a great roll man yet, but he has the raw athleticism, aggression, and touch to be really effective (assuming we have a guard we can run the PnR). Doc developed Trez, let’s see if he can make it happen here.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#228 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:49 am

In terms of value, is he worth a lottery pick, a mid first or a late first round pick?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by Tomjas » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:32 am

76ciology wrote:In terms of value, is he worth a lottery pick, a mid first or a late first round pick?

Easy mid first

How many guys have dominated G league and summer league?

If Doc doesn’t at least give him time to see what he’s got then that’ll be really disappointing
76ciology
RealGM

Post#230 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 am

Tomjas wrote:
76ciology wrote:In terms of value, is he worth a lottery pick, a mid first or a late first round pick?

Easy mid first

If Doc doesn’t at least give him time to see what he’s got then that’ll be really disappointing

Personally, I think he has physical limitations to be a C that plays big minutes. Its something Noel also suffers with. He’s neither long enough or strong enough.

Im not saying he’s not a good player. I think he is. But there are just some match-ups where I think he is not playable. Its just what it is rather than something Reed is at fault is. Even Gobert is not playable on some match-ups.

This is why if you dont have an Embiid, you need to have around 2 kinds of big. One is a big guy like Boban, another is more of a small ball type C like Kleber.

But this all could change. I dont know how good Reed could become.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by Tomjas » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am

76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

Easy mid first

Personally, I think he has physical limitations to be a C that plays big minutes. Its something Noel also suffers with. He’s neither long enough or strong enough.

Im not saying he’s not a good player. I think he is. But there are just some match-ups where I think he is not playable. Its just what it is rather than something Reed is at fault is. Even Gobert is not playable on some match-ups.

This is why if you dont have an Embiid, you need to have around 2 kinds of big. One is a big guy like Boban, another is more of a small ball type C like Kleber.

He’s not a “big”

More comparable to Wood and Collins in body type
76ciology
RealGM

Post#232 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:08 am

Tomjas wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Easy mid first

He’s not a “big”

I look at him as a PF that isnt offensively skilled enough go play like a PF so he has to play C.

There’s ambiguity to it, because you also can tell me he is a C but is quick, mobile and skilled enough to play PF.

I think he has to be a lot better shooter, if he wants to stay on this team or get a big paycheck elsewhere (he’s not gonna get P A I D on this team).
Tomjas
Lead Assistant

Post#233 » by Tomjas » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:18 am

76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
76ciology wrote:

He’s not a “big”

I look at him as a PF that isnt offensively skilled enough go play like a PF so he has to play C.

There’s ambiguity to it, because you also can tell me he is a C but is quick, mobile and skilled enough to play PF.

I think he has to be a lot better shooter, if he wants to stay on this team or get a big paycheck elsewhere (he’s not gonna get P A I D on this team).

That’s why I compared him to Richaun whom we gave away for some cash

Just signed for $12 million per
76ciology
RealGM

Post#234 » by 76ciology » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:47 am

Tomjas wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
He’s not a “big”

That’s why I compared him to Richaun whom we gave away for some cash

Just signed for $12 million per

Yeah someone like that.

I think he has an expiry on this team. Better to look at him as a trade asset.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#235 » by Kolkmania » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:31 pm

76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:

Easy mid first

Chris Boucher has been relatively effective as a C in the NBA. Sure he wouldn't hold up 1-on-1 against many centers in the NBA, but team defense can mask that flaw by aggressively doubling/digging. His quickness at the perimeter and defensive instincts could certainly negate the lack of strength.

Offensively he's just good. Good roll man, can take slow-footed bigs off the dribble and has some passing skills. Don't think that Rivers agrees with me, but I think he's simply a better player than Drummond.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#236 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:54 pm

I think he's an intriguing player, particularly on this team where his skill set could be a really nice change of pace behind Embiid...

But I don't think they'd get a 1st round pick for him. He's looked good in summer league and the g league, but is completely unproven at the NBA level. Maybe if he gets on the floor this year and is able to show flashes they'd be able to get something for him, but if that's the case I imagine the Sixers would want to hang on to him as a cheap option that fills a need.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#237 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:23 pm

He's a young gun, and a breath of fresh air in terms of draft day steal. I look for him to be in the rotation this year.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#238 » by TTP » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:47 pm

youngcrev wrote:

I think he's an intriguing player, particularly on this team where his skill set could be a really nice change of pace behind Embiid...

But I don't think they'd get a 1st round pick for him. He's looked good in summer league and the g league, but is completely unproven at the NBA level. Maybe if he gets on the floor this year and is able to show flashes they'd be able to get something for him, but if that's the case I imagine the Sixers would want to hang on to him as a cheap option that fills a need.

It's hard to say what his value is. I think if he entered the draft this year with his current pedigree as a 22 year old with a lot of useful skills on both sides of the ball that has crushed competition above the college level, he'd probably go in the 1st round. It wouldn't have been unreasonable for him to have gone in the late 1st last year and he's improved his stock considerably since then.

On his current contract, he's getting paid less than a late 1st would, but he's only under control for two seasons before RFA. However, he's also seemingly more ready to contribute rotation minutes than most late 1sts are.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#239 » by TTP » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:17 pm

youngcrev wrote:

but is completely unproven at the NBA level.

Going to double quote you to address this specific part of your post because I'd argue that Reed has proven quite a bit, certainly more than most late 1sts that have never played above the college level. Reed's at a similar age to most late 1sts, and he has performed better at multiple higher levels of competition than most of these guys did versus lower level competition. He's also now done it in multiple different environments. Even his limited NBA minutes have been good.

Ben Detrick had a series of posts about Reed this morning, but this one is the most important:

Read on Twitter

Reed to me is the ultimate Moneyball player - one of the big themes of the book is that front offices tend to undervalue players that look or do things abnormally but have excellent production. Reed shoots funny, he looks out of control, and he does things differently, battling hard nonstop and going after the ball in ways that other players don't. He doesn't look like anything we've seen before, so people are inclined to believe that it won't work, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he stops producing. He's a huge mystery box but I think there's some good starter/elite role player upside.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#240 » by youngcrev » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:49 pm

TTP wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

but is completely unproven at the NBA level.

Going to double quote you to address this specific part of your post because I'd argue that Reed has proven quite a bit, certainly more than most late 1sts that have never played above the college level. Reed's at a similar age to most late 1sts, and he has performed better at multiple higher levels of competition than most of these guys did versus lower level competition. He's also now done it in multiple different environments. Even his limited NBA minutes have been good.

Ben Detrick had a series of posts about Reed this morning, but this one is the most important:

Read on Twitter

Reed to me is the ultimate Moneyball player - one of the big themes of the book is that front offices tend to undervalue players that look or do things abnormally but have excellent production. Reed shoots funny, he looks out of control, and he does things differently, battling hard nonstop and going after the ball in ways that other players don't. He doesn't look like anything we've seen before, so people are inclined to believe that it won't work, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he stops producing. He's a huge mystery box but I think there's some good starter/elite role player upside.

It's not that Im doubting him, I'm just doubting that his value jumped from 58th pick to 1st rounder based on promising play during summer league and the G league season. I'm also not implying the kids coming into the draft have more experience, just simply stating that his particular successes so far haven't come at the NBA level.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers