ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#541 » by zaymon » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:26 am

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:And it's good to be really bad, we really need another top pick, otherwise we will be mediocre forever.

That's a decision year:
- Which center will be kept?
- Can Cole Anthony play?
- Can Fultz succeed?
- Etc...

Given that this is the Suggs thread, it is interesting that he impacts all three of these posed questions.

Does he impact which center we keep ? Maybe if he doesnt like Bamba work ethic.... He propably prefers to play with Holmgren, i wouldnt mind that ;)
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#542 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:10 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:Magic are absolutely gonna be a top 3 worst team in the NBA this season, if anything they’re probably favorites for the worst..

They were *barely* a bottom 3 team last year even with Bacon leading the team in minutes and literally no point guard on the roster for a good number of games. There is 100% a scenario where Suggs is relatively good from day 1, all the young players see some improvement and a healthy Isaac propels the team to a 27-30 win situation. That's not likely because injuries will happen and development is not linear, but it's definitely a possibility.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#543 » by jonbob17 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:21 pm

zaymon wrote:
drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:And it's good to be really bad, we really need another top pick, otherwise we will be mediocre forever.

That's a decision year:
- Can Cole Anthony play?
- Can Fultz succeed?
- Etc...

Given that this is the Suggs thread, it is interesting that he impacts all three of these posed questions.

Does he impact which center we keep ? Maybe if he doesnt like Bamba work ethic.... He propably prefers to play with Holmgren, i wouldnt mind that ;)

Maybe we can become a hub for players from the Upper Midwest: Suggs, Holmgren, then recruit guys like Booker, Halliburton, Herro, Miles Bridges, Tyrell Terry
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#544 » by drsd » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:48 pm

jonbob17 wrote:Maybe we can become a hub for players from the Upper Midwest: Suggs, Holmgren, then recruit guys like Booker, Halliburton, Herro, Miles Bridges, Tyrell Terry

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#545 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:26 pm

I think Frank the Tank is still underrated. He is no superstar, but could be a great glue guy!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,149

Post#546 » by Knightro » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:38 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Magic are absolutely gonna be a top 3 worst team in the NBA this season, if anything they’re probably favorites for the worst..

They were *barely* a bottom 3 team last year even with Bacon leading the team in minutes and literally no point guard on the roster for a good number of games. There is 100% a scenario where Suggs is relatively good from day 1, all the young players see some improvement and a healthy Isaac propels the team to a 27-30 win situation. That's not likely because injuries will happen and development is not linear, but it's definitely a possibility.

They played over 60% of the season with veterans and a coach who were trying to win.

They went 6-22 after the trades, which is a .214 winning percentage.

Extrapolate that over 82 games and that's a 17-18 win pace.

For argument's sake, let's say they won't be quite as bad as that because they have guys coming back from injuries and such and you an probably add 4-5 wins to that.

That's still low 20s in wins.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#547 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Knightro wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:

They played over 60% of the season with veterans and a coach who were trying to win.

For argument's sake, let's say they won't be quite as bad as that because they have guys coming back from injuries and such and you an probably add 4-5 wins to that.

Chuma, Ross, Ennis and MCW all missed at least 10 games in the post-trade stretch and Iggy B and Moe were logging 25+ mpg nights by the end of the season. If we're doing stuff like that this season then sure, 18 wins is happening.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,683

Post#548 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#549 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:54 pm

Fraschilla says Suggs reminds him of Chauncey Billups.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#550 » by basketballRob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:21 pm

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#551 » by The Effect » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:06 pm

Knightro wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:

So say we keep up that pace

How many wins will JI, Fultz, Suggs, wagner and improved Cole\Hampton\Okeke add?
Id say those guys are good for another 10 wins

So not impossible to see this as a 30 win team.
Will they? probably not, but its not impossible and it wouldnt surprise me one bit

Personally id prefer another 15-20 win season and getting a shot at Banchero\duran\chet or Bates if hes eligible, but i dont think its a forgone conclusion that we will be that bad
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#552 » by MoMM » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:41 am

Even with ˜30 wins we can get a Top5 pick or even higher.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,222

Post#553 » by pepe1991 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:33 am

basketballRob wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

He pretty much summed everything i was saying about Barnes.
He is another draft gimmick "6'9 ballhandler, playmaker" except, he is not ballhandler, at least not good one and he is passer, not playmaker.

And guy can't shoot.

Gordon is pretty much target comparison with him. Willing passer, but not particularly useful skil to implement into good offense because when he has ball and stands 10 feet from rim, he is not treat to do anything but put his head down and go for rim, and against most teams it won't work.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
magickingdom
Rookie
And1: 84

Post#554 » by magickingdom » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:46 am

To me either is a win-win.
Either we win more games which means we have more talent then expected and know that they will only get better.
And we still know we have a couple of picks and cap space to get better.
Or we not that good yet, but see the potential and know that we have better chances at getting higher picks that will add to the talent and still the cap space.
Next year is a learning/transition/growth/see what we got year.
Its during next year and next summer that they mold this team into the team they want moving forward.
So for me it makes it easier to watch this season, when your ok with them winning or losing.
As long as we see players/team getting better.
"Welcome to the MAGIC's KINGDOM !"
drsd
RealGM

Post#555 » by drsd » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:23 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:

A healthy team last year might have been the 6-seed. I agree with everything you stated, and I think the difference of a 24 twin team and a 28 win team is found in simply improvements and the team staying healthy. And if the Magic is a 28 win team, is it really a stretch to think the Magic fluke 4 games and win 32 games (and become the 10-seed in the play-ins)?

I do not see the Magic as a terrible team. It is a young, unbalanced team, but there is talent and some games will be won.
Most importantly: coach Mosely will try to win. Detroit, OKC, Cleveland, and Houston will all try to lose. This kind of means Orlando won't be worse than the 5th-worst team.

drsd
RealGM

Post#556 » by drsd » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:09 pm

zaymon wrote:
drsd wrote:

That's a decision year:
- Can Cole Anthony play?
- Can Fultz succeed?
- Etc...

Yes I believe that Suggs' style of play will dictate which Center plays with him, very much so.

Suggs is the future of this team, for better of for worse, and that dictates the roles of the other 4 starters.

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#557 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:08 pm

drsd wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:Maybe we can become a hub for players from the Upper Midwest: Suggs, Holmgren, then recruit guys like Booker, Halliburton, Herro, Miles Bridges, Tyrell Terry

I also was in Nashville during the tourney that he was so great in, so my opinion may be a little biased off of that.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#558 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:Fraschilla says Suggs reminds him of Chauncey Billups.

I should have read this thread first :wink: made the same comments elsewhere
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#559 » by Skybox » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:52 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

He pretty much summed everything i was saying about Barnes.
He is another draft gimmick "6'9 ballhandler, playmaker" except, he is not ballhandler, at least not good one and he is passer, not playmaker.

And guy can't shoot.

Gordon is pretty much target comparison with him. Willing passer, but not particularly useful skil to implement into good offense because when he has ball and stands 10 feet from rim, he is not treat to do anything but put his head down and go for rim, and against most teams it won't work.

No, he's a mobile 6'9 kid with a joyous smile...so he's Magic Johnson :crazy: :noway:
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#560 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:46 pm

I will never get tired of watching this.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Orlando Magic