Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Friday 7 PM CT @ Bucks]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,040

Re: SUMMER LEAGUE THREAD 

Post#61 » by Mavrelous » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:35 pm

They also signed Carlik Jones and Feron Hunt.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#62 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:11 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Mavs signed EJ Onu
Read on Twitter

Good maybe he showed something in practice that got them excited enough to want him tied up because he lacked a chance to show what he could do in SL probably because he was not getting looks like happens a lot with bigs in SL. We should just call SL no bigs allowed league or ball hogs only league.

The center position in the NBA has become about as prominent as the center position in the NFL.
The days of star centers who dominate offensively in the paint have become almost non-existent.

Onu's ability to shoot 3s and his rebounding potential are his only life-lines to make it in this league.
I wouldn't get my hopes up about this guy though....not with 6 already signed centers on the team ahead of him in the pecking order.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#63 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:12 pm

Giannis seems like a nice player so does Anthony Davis and then of course so do a lot of bigs that score well enough to be used at the 5 or 4.

When I see people saying centers are not important anymore all I have to do is remind you that Milwaukee won the championship this year.

Tell me the best player who played for MIL was he not a big.

We have positionless basketball being played with 2 bigs and 3 smalls from how I see things and if one of the bigs is a scoring big it helps to have them be a good three point shooter and he won the game without being a good three point shooter so he relied on using the traditional center game to win that ring.

Now if you can slam dunks home and score over other centers you can do it that way or if you hit 3's then you can pull them away from the rim and do it that way. Dirk was the prototype scoring big and we appreciate that kind of game more than most. He could score from anywhere not just from one method he could hit 3's as well as score inside.

If Onu develops to shoot 3's and he enjoys a career here he could be a SF or a PF but I do not think he will end up as a 5.

We have bigger 5's and PF's already so I tend to hold out hope he develops the ability to block shots and defend from the 3.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#64 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:38 am

Teffer10 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Mavs signed EJ Onu
Read on Twitter

Good maybe he showed something in practice that got them excited enough to want him tied up because he lacked a chance to show what he could do in SL probably because he was not getting looks like happens a lot with bigs in SL. We should just call SL no bigs allowed league or ball hogs only league.

The center position in the NBA has become about as prominent as the center position in the NFL.
The days of star centers who dominate offensively in the paint have become almost non-existent.

Onu's ability to shoot 3s and his rebounding potential are his only life-lines to make it in this league.
I wouldn't get my hopes up about this guy though....not with 6 already signed centers on the team ahead of him in the pecking order.

Except for Jokic, and Embiid of course. Ayton could very well be one of those centers too but time will tell. Those kind of centers can still be very successful in today’s NBA but it is much more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 832

Post#65 » by Teffer10 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:29 am

Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:Good maybe he showed something in practice that got them excited enough to want him tied up because he lacked a chance to show what he could do in SL probably because he was not getting looks like happens a lot with bigs in SL. We should just call SL no bigs allowed league or ball hogs only league.

Except for Jokic, and Embiid of course. Ayton could very well be one of those centers too but time will tell. Those kind of centers can still be very successful in today’s NBA but it is much more difficult.

Those guys are probably the main reason why we re-signed WCS.
He is unique because he is the only one on this roster who can provide any resistance to those guys.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:04 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:The center position in the NBA has become about as prominent as the center position in the NFL.

Those guys are probably the main reason why we re-signed WCS.
He is unique because he is the only one on this roster who can provide any resistance to those guys.

That’s why I wanted them to trade for Valanciunas. I have no idea if they ever attempted to but he’s big enough and skilled enough to make those guys work.

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#67 » by SOUNDCHASER » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Giannis is also a motherload to handle and he won the ring so we need to factor his game in the fight for dominance. He too looks to score inside like a traditional center would so his game is very old school
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#68 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:47 pm

Tyler Bey sign with Houston for exibition game...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#70 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:57 pm

Nate Hinton waived, he should pursue a career in Europe, I feel he can be more effective there.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#71 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 pm

Bey waived
Hinton waived
Terry never played
Green??? They signed a couple 6'7 3&D guys, no faith in him.

Well done.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:57 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Bey waived
Hinton waived
Terry never played
Green??? They signed a couple 6'7 3&D guys, no faith in him.

Well done.

Donnie Nelson’s draft expertise

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#73 » by Bob8 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:00 pm

KhalilS wrote:Nate Hinton waived, he should pursue a career in Europe, I feel he can be more effective there.

Not in serious clubs for sure. Maybe in some 5th tier competition, but even that is very doubtful.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#74 » by Mavrelous » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:12 pm

Anthony Parker was one of the best Euroleague players ever, and a toal scrub in the NBA.

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#75 » by JJP » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:45 pm

Hinton was never drafted, and Bey was a long shot - as are most 2nd rounders.

Green is another matter. That indeed looks like another Mavs\Donnie Nelson mistake. If he is a wasted draft pick, that's going to leave a mark. They really needed a rotation player as it may be one of the last top 20 1st-round picks for awhile
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#76 » by leolozon » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:55 pm

I don't know why people are so down on Green, "all" he need is a 3pter. Good things happened a lot when he was on the floor last year. I'm more down on the fact that the Mavs barely gave him a chance and probably won't this year also.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#77 » by JJP » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:13 am

leolozon wrote:I don't know why people are so down on Green, "all" he need is a 3pter. Good things happened a lot when he was on the floor last year. I'm more down on the fact that the Mavs barely gave him a chance and probably won't this year also.

Players earn minutes. The Mavs aren't "holding him back." He will likely have opportunities to show he's better this season, and he might start to get it. But there's no evidence one way or another.

There are guys all over the NBA like Dennis Smith and Justin Jackson that just don't live up to their draft position. Both of those players had their moments, but they didn't stick because they weren't consistent.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#78 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:49 am

Deleted
leolozon
General Manager

Post#79 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:50 am

JJP wrote:
leolozon wrote:I don't know why people are so down on Green, "all" he need is a 3pter. Good things happened a lot when he was on the floor last year. I'm more down on the fact that the Mavs barely gave him a chance and probably won't this year also.

Players earn minutes. The Mavs aren't "holding him back." He will likely have opportunities to show he's better this season, and he might start to get it. But there's no evidence one way or another.

There are guys all over the NBA like Dennis Smith and Justin Jackson that just don't live up to their draft position. Both of those players had their moments, but they didn't stick because they weren't consistent.

You also often see guys not getting any trust/playing time and then panning out on another team. I don't think it's true that all young players earn their minutes. Some players need time on the court to develop and find their groove.

Player's development isn't a "one size fits all".

Not to beat a dead horse, but if they wanted a more polished prospect, they should have just gone for the obvious choice. One year older, better floor, beter shooter, stronger...
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#80 » by JJP » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:17 am

leolozon wrote:
JJP wrote:

You also often see guys not getting any trust/playing time and then panning out on another team. I don't think it's true that all players earn their minutes. Some players need time on the court to develop and find their groove.

Player's development isn't a "one size fits all".

C'mon. You show that stuff in practice. That's how you earn playing time.

Justin Jackson was with three teams and so was Dennis Smith. They didn't make it here.... and they didn't make after they were here. Don't take it personally, but coaches know more than the fans do. You really think you know more than they do?

Return to Dallas Mavericks