ImageImageImage

Brand or Colangelo, who do fans dislike more?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Who do you dislike more?

Colangelo
81%
Brand
19%

Total votes: 48

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Re: Brand or Colangelo, who do fans dislike more? 

Post#21 » by Murray_17 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:16 am

Basically, Brand buried us in bad contracts. You can question the Tobias trade but nothing that big was lost there outside of having to trade Bridges to get a first round pick.

But what Bryan did with all the Hinkie assets was just criminal, we had a pretty great collection of players that could neat us more picks or use on a big trade: Wood, Holmes, Grant, Noel, etc. The fact we have spent our entire playoff runs crying for a back up center when we had some of those guys is just sad.

Instead he wasted a pick to move up and get Fultz. Not to mention how he forced minutes on guys who are just trash like TLC.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#22 » by rzzzzz » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:04 am

So surprising that Jerry discovered that Bryan was just perfect guy for the job, after Adam Nosferatu Silver sucked all the life force out of the franchise. I got to say, I admire Brand for swinging for the fences with that Biid, Ben, Jimmy, Tobias line-up.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#23 » by Eyeamok » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:48 pm

Brand was jut the face of GM by committee. If you want to blame someone replace Brand and put the owner's name there instead.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#24 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Been thinking about why BC drafted Ben first overall.

This guy knows the trend of the game. He may even constructed the first modern NBA team in Phoenix. So did he when we constructed that Raps squad when he that squad overperforming with euro style basketball.

My thinking was Embiid didnt play in 2014 to 2016. When we were drafting first overall, I think the entire FO is basically looking at a blank slate (tanked for role players and a player who may never even play).

Okafor sux
Noel sux
Embiid’s health is questionable.

At one point Embiid said he contemplated of not continuing his career with his injury and his family issues. Even Hinkie sounded unsure about Embiid’s health when he was interviewed before he left the team. Correct me if im wrong here.

So I think thats why BC drafted Ben. He wasn’t considering fit with Embiid. Ben just looks like a franchise player than Ingram back then.

I do think that if BC drafted Ingram, Fultz never had his injury and he replaced Brett with MDA (boy he was right with this), I think we would have been in A LOT of better shape.

Fultz
Ingram
Roco
Dario
Embiid

Thats a very balanced squad.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#25 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Brand’s biggest mistake for me is undervaluing JJ’s importance to the squad.

JJ was basically our second option after Embiid, prior to Jimmy. Hell, if you watch the tapes, we STILL look for Jj to generate us scoring down the stretch in the Raps series.

Brand did well in 2018-2019 squad. Unless Morey is able to land a top tier star like Harden or Dame, we’re likely NEVER going to end up a team as talented as that 2018-2019 squad.

Brand gambled and fumbled with the 2019-2020 squad. He outsmarted himself. Al is a big who was solid (not perfect) with our squad. We almost have a plus 5 man unit for the full 48, and is equipped to stomach those games when Biid is on load managemenr. I also like our depth back then. Burks, Burkes and GRob3 gave us good depth.

Where he went wrong was he completely disregarded JJ’s role. He didnt have anyone who can replace Jj’s production.

And I think Morey knew that and the 2020-2021 squad proved that with how big Seth’s impact was to our team.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#26 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:07 pm

Whats done is done.

Who wins most stupid GM between the two is history. What we can do is just learn from their mistakes.

And I give credit to the ownership in bringing Morey to the FO and stomaching probably the highest payroll in the league right now.

I hope ownership stays committed and still have the guts to change, adapt and sacrifice whatever it takes to improve the team.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#27 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:11 am

The reason we got Colangelo was because his dad essentially set him up for the job.

The reason we got Brand was because Colangelo happened to have an embarrassing controversy to come light and had to resign in disgrace like a month before the draft and free agency and there was no time to hire anyone for that, leaving a power vacuum that resulted in all the collaboration nonsense that no GM of any clout would have wanted to come into, so they hired a guy with a light resume that had existing relationships within the current framework.

So even if you think Brand did a bad job (he did) the fact that he got the job when he did is on Colangelo.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#28 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:23 am

76ciology wrote:Brand’s biggest mistake for me is undervaluing JJ’s importance to the squad.

JJ was basically our second option after Embiid, prior to Jimmy. Hell, if you watch the tapes, we STILL look for Jj to generate us scoring down the stretch in the Raps series.

Brand did well in 2018-2019 squad. Unless Morey is able to land a top tier star like Harden or Dame, we’re likely NEVER going to end up a team as talented as that 2018-2019 squad.

Brand gambled and fumbled with the 2019-2020 squad. He outsmarted himself. Al is a big who was solid (not perfect) with our squad. We almost have a plus 5 man unit for the full 48, and is equipped to stomach those games when Biid is on load managemenr. I also like our depth back then. Burks, Burkes and GRob3 gave us good depth.

Where he went wrong was he completely disregarded JJ’s role. He didnt have anyone who can replace Jj’s production.

And I think Morey knew that and the 2020-2021 squad proved that with how big Seth’s impact was to our team.

Feel like that JJ contract was rightly proven to be an overpay this past season (is he even on a roster right now?) but the Sixers could have gone a variety of different ways other than Horford that offseason including signing, say, Seth Curry and Danny Green. They didn't play with Brand on the 2015 Hawks though.

As I have said before, the 18/19 team was talented but trading for Butler, then the organization being shocked that he would act like Jimmy Butler, and making the trade they did for Harris as essentially a do-over was just a disjointed/shortsighted move. There's a reason why teams generally don't do that and you saw why with the inability to maintain that talent level in the following years. I put that more on Josh Harris/the general cluster **** of that was the decision making during the Collaboration era than on Brand individually though.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#29 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 am

Colangelo got the job partly because of his dad and partly because of his experience and accomplishments. He was multiple EOY awardee by turning around two franchise by building modern NBA teams. It’s also partly because we failed to land a franchise player from 2013-2015. Like i said, i believe everybody was unsure about Embiid back in 2016. Hinkie was unsure about Embiid’s health while Embiid almost quit the NBA after his brother passed away and his injury issues https://www.sportscasting.com/joel-embiid-almost-quit-basketball-after-his-brothers-tragic-death/.

Hinkie was like Brett. Both were great at a phase of our program. Hinkie was great in accumulating paper assets while Brett is good as a teacher for the young kids.

We eventually need someone who knows how to build a team with the right talent and run a team with how to max out the talent, and there are CLEARLY better guys who can do the job better than those two.

And now we here with both experienced GM and coach. We’re now in good hands.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#30 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 am

Fultz
Ingram
Roco
Dario
Embiid

or

JJ
Jimmy
Ben
Tobias
Embiid

I dont think we’ll ever beat those two squads unless Morey will be able to land us a top tier star.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#31 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:26 am

76ciology wrote:But man..

Fultz
Ingram
Roco
Dario
Embiid

That could have been THE squad.

I wanted Ingram over Ben, but he probably wouldn’t have developed into a star with us. Roco’s always been overrated, not a fan. Saric isn’t necessarily lighting up the league, and neither is Fultz. We’d likely have cap space though.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#32 » by TTP » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:44 am

76ciology wrote:Colangelo got the job partly because of his dad and partly because of his experience and accomplishments. He was multiple EOY awardee by turning around two franchise by building modern NBA teams. It’s also partly because we failed to land a franchise player from 2013-2015. Like i said, i believe everybody was unsure about Embiid back in 2016. Hinkie was unsure about Embiid’s health while Embiid almost quit the NBA after his brother passed away and his injury issues https://www.sportscasting.com/joel-embiid-almost-quit-basketball-after-his-brothers-tragic-death/.

Hinkie was like Brett. Both were great at a phase of our program. Hinkie was great in accumulating paper assets while Brett is good as a teacher for the young kids.

We eventually need someone who knows how to build a team with the right talent and run a team with how to max out the talent, and there are CLEARLY better guys who can do the job better than those two.

You're not wrong. Bryan Colangelo had the most experience being Jerry Colangelo's son of all the candidates.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#33 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:45 am

I voted Colangelo.

Although Brand almost crippled us with the Horford and Tobias contracts, he’s largely drafted well and fielded talented teams.

BC only had a few acquisitions that I liked: Belinelli, Ilyasova, and Redick.

He traded Grant for peanuts, Holmes too, if I’m not mistaken. His other big free agent moves were Jerryd Bayless, Amir Johnson, Gerald Henderson Jr. and Sergio Rodriguez. Underwhelming to say the least.

The Fultz pick/trade was bad at the time and even worse, in retrospect. He and his father should never be able to set foot in Philly again for what they did to our franchise.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#34 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:49 am

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:Colangelo got the job partly because of his dad and partly because of his experience and accomplishments. He was multiple EOY awardee by turning around two franchise by building modern NBA teams. It’s also partly because we failed to land a franchise player from 2013-2015. Like i said, i believe everybody was unsure about Embiid back in 2016. Hinkie was unsure about Embiid’s health while Embiid almost quit the NBA after his brother passed away and his injury issues https://www.sportscasting.com/joel-embiid-almost-quit-basketball-after-his-brothers-tragic-death/.

You're not wrong. Bryan Colangelo had the most experience being Jerry Colangelo's son of all the candidates.

:rockon:
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#35 » by Murray_17 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:50 pm

TTP wrote:

Not to mention that the Raptors being a "modern" NBA team with Colangelo is a hell of a rewriting
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#36 » by SixersSince82 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:41 pm

The bigger slimeball = Bryan Colangelo
The worst 6ers GM of the last 20 years = Elton Brand
DWhiteMamba
Junior
And1: 95

Post#37 » by DWhiteMamba » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:14 am

As is common in Philly, a new slimeball takes their place as most hated man in the city. Rich Paul time baby.

I wonder if Colangelo or Brand were worse than John Nash, the GM in the 80s.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#38 » by agiaco » Sat Sep 4, 2021 4:48 am

I mean Brand was not good at making moves, but I do believe he was instrumental in the restructuring with Doc and Morey.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#39 » by Kobblehead » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:27 pm

I don't dislike either of them. Both made plenty of mistakes but their tenure was among the most winningest stretch in modern franchise history.

This team under Colangelo/Brand is way better than King/Stefanski/DiLeo/Thorn/Hinkie years.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,836

Post#40 » by mjkvol » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:48 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I don't dislike either of them. Both made plenty of mistakes but their tenure was among the most winningest stretch in modern franchise history.

This team under Colangelo/Brand is way better than King/Stefanski/DiLeo/Thorn/Hinkie years.

But isn't that because of the assets they were handed on a silver platter by Hinkie, and given those assets, is it possible that they achieved, if not the minimum, then pretty much middling results at the end of the day?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers