Image ImageImage Image

Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,429

Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era 

Post#1 » by aguifs » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Let's friggin go!!!

Go Bulls go!!!
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Re: Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era 

Post#2 » by sco » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Can we edit title to say Lauri (and Lauri fan) appreciation thread?

I appreciated Lauri's fans more than Lauri over the past season or so. Not sure which of you guys are staying here vs. going to CAV's thread. Let us know here.
:clap:
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#3 » by nomorezorro » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:01 pm

i really thought he was gonna be good, and sometimes he was, but it just never fully came together. hope he figures it out in cleveland; he still seems like a cool dude.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#4 » by HomoSapien » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:03 pm

One of the more frustrating players we’ve ever had, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#5 » by LateNight » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Had high hopes for him - glad he gets the fresh start he wanted. Will post more appreciation later
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,704

Post#6 » by BullChit » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:06 pm

So much potential so little development.

So long Lauri, good luck in Joakim Noah's favourite holiday destination.

I truly wish the best for him.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#7 » by mtron32 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 pm

nomorezorro wrote:i really thought he was gonna be good, and sometimes he was, but it just never fully came together. hope he figures it out in cleveland; he still seems like a cool dude.

He showed us these glimpses of a Finnish beast, which made the rough patches even harder to deal with. Hopefully he does good in Cleveland, but not when he sees the Bulls :nod: :nod:
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,535

Post#8 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 pm

He needed the fresh start for a mental reset. The talent is definitely there. He just needs to develop the aggression and consistency to go with it. Hopefully getting paid and having to move will motivate him in the Cavs. Go vindicate me Lauri! Maybe we'll resign you in 4 years after you're an all-star 8-)
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#9 » by superdave » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 pm

Congrats on the bag Lauri. Now enjoy watching Sexton dribble :lol:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#10 » by MrSparkle » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 pm

Well, after AK's hire, I said I expected this roster to be almost 99% flipped by the following year, and hot dog - it happened. The only leftover is a value all-star making half the max (though I realize that's about to double), for which I reluctantly thank GarPax, though it was a rocky road and at the cost of Jimmy.

Every single broken archetype of the GarPax era has seen an exciting modern replacement (and by modern, we're talking about a 10-year cycle here): athletic, long, versatile, two-way skills, above-the-rim, higher IQ. We've got zero dead-weights on the roster; the worst players are the min. salary 2nd round picks: as it should be. Our coaching and training staff is better.

All Hail AKME.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#11 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:25 pm

First 2 seasons looked promising. Then Lauri didn’t improve enough to live up to expectations. We were thinking maybe Dirk, maybe Porzingis, a future star that never made it into the stratosphere. Wish Lauri all the best. Bulls only have LaVine left over from the Jimmy trade now.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#12 » by madvillian » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:41 pm

I'll never forgot where I was when he was drafted for some reason I was running on the treadmill at my old gym and I was like "who the **** is this guy" and then watching him play his rookie year I was really excited. But, he regressed in many ways and only what I would consider a flukey good shooting year saved him from total disaster last season.

Good luck to him, glad he's gone, for reasons regarding this forum's sanity if nothing else.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Daxel
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#13 » by Daxel » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:43 pm

Good luck to him, glad he got the bag.

I'll miss him, he was one of the few reasons I kept watching the Bulls after Jimmy was traded.

I hope he plays great this next season on Cleveland.

My three favorite memories of Lauri:
1. That block on Stephen Curry (Still makes me chuckle)
2. The lucky bounce against OKC to win the game.
3. That game at the Garden in his rookie year.
SaNdMiRkS
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#14 » by SaNdMiRkS » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Good. Fckng. Riddance

I said the day that Artie K got hired, that, in less than two yrs, he'd have gotten rid of nearly every single player/piece of personnel working for the Chicago Bulls that had anything even remotely to do with that piece of sh*t Paxson, and I was spot on

AKME have done more for the Chicago Bulls in a year & a half than that miserable bald pr!ck did in nearly 2 decades. Think about that for a moment
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#15 » by meekrab » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Hope he lives up to the contract, Cleveland needs something to smile about after getting their hearts broken by LeBron again.

But holy crap I cannot believe the roster makeover. It's been 5 months and 2 days since the trade deadline, and we have THREE players left who were on the roster on March 24th: Zach LaVine, Patrick Williams and Coby White. While I miss Daniel Gafford, he's the only "mistake" I think AKME have made, and even then the trade brought back Greene and Troy Brown Jr. so you can't be too upset about it.
suursahuri
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#16 » by suursahuri » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:20 pm

Thanks for the memories Lauri and good luck in Cleveland.

My countryman got drafted by my favorite team and overall performed better than I personally ever expected. I was never able to watch Bulls with Lauri without a bias. Most of the time I was way too critical on his performances and at the same time I overreacted when he did well. I have been Bulls' fan since 1990 and I think watching Bulls will be far easier for me next year.

Finland is such a small country that I'm sure I would have heard it, if there was something wrong with Lauri's character. I have never heard anything negative said about Lauri over here. At the same time I have heard a lot of stuff about many Finnish NHL players, whom are about same level of a celebrity here.

So, I never really understood the Lauri hate and I think it deteriorated the level of discussion here. I have never posted much, but I have enjoyed reading the discussions. Hope we have better times ahead in that sense too.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,571
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#17 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 pm

I was really excited about Lauri his first few season, but the honeymoon period eventually ended with some disappointment. He seems like a great guy and I hope he does well in Cleveland.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#18 » by Kurt Heimlich » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:25 pm

I had hopes he wouldn't be Niko 2.0 when we drafted him and after his encouraging rookie year. But as far as relative disappointments go, he was Niko 2.0. Best wishes for him in Cleveland!
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#19 » by MGB8 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 pm

Buh-bye Lauri...

You weren't as bad as the haters thought... but nowhere near as good as your stans believe.

Good luck... but you better figure out that you are more complimentary piece than star - and don't think that Sexton-Garland-Okoro will be looking to get you involved any more than anyone on the Bulls - your role will stay the same (to include probably playing off the bench behind Mobley).
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#20 » by kodo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:30 pm

At the time he was a solid pick for a #7, I don't think anyone would have expected his level of regression instead of improvement. He was still one of the best rookies in a loaded draft class. From the Athletic ROY voting article:

4. Lauri Markkanen
Markkanen was the fastest player ever to 100 3-pointers made, and he would have had a chance at breaking Damian Lillard’s record of 185 made 3-pointers in a rookie season had he not been limited in his minutes so heavily by a combination of injuries and overzealous tanking. His 36 percent mark on those shots should improve as he gets more acclimated to the line and gets better teammates to take the pressure off him. While he can get that shot off at any time, he’s been forced into some pretty difficult looks throughout the year.
Markkanen has had an outstanding rookie campaign, and he’d be closer to Tatum in the vote if he’d had an opportunity to play as many minutes with the same caliber of teammates.

He's very plainly a specific type of role, the C&S shooter, like Korver. And hitting 40% with some terrible, awful PGs on the Bulls he did well IMO. I think the bad feelings are between Bulls fans expecting more from our "rebuild" pieces where everyone else sees #7 picks as your usual Ben McLemore / Stanley Johnson type roleplayers.

Return to Chicago Bulls