33%

Total votes: 48

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Would you trade Maxi for Markkanen? 

Post#61 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Seeing the price they paid for Lauri and what the Bulls got back in return, I'm kinda glad the Mavs didn't pull the trigger. I was hoping the Mavs could get him for the TPE and 2nd round picks or a prospect, but even then, Lauri wouldn't have moved the needle too much. He would have come off the bench and played the Bobby Portis role for this team. That's an important role, but it's not worth giving up a first round pick for. A lot of 6MOY only cost 2nd round picks or something like that. Clarkson was a 2nd round pick himself and the Jazz got him for a bust and two 2nds. Ingles was undrafted, Brunson was a 2nd round pick, and THJ was a throw-in to the KP trade. Lou Williams himself was a 2nd round pick, and DRose was signed as a FA. Not too often will you see a team give up a first round pick for a 6th man, so I'm glad that Mavs didn't.

Also, the Mavs will probably need those first round picks, prospects, cash, and swaps so they can take a swing at bigger players on the trade market. I'm sure they want to go after Beal now that the Wizards traded away Westbrook.

100%

I’m glad they didn’t make this trade (for that price). When the trade deadline is here and if they had already traded their draft capital for Markkanen there would be a lot of angry Mavs fans. Can you imagine, Dame wants to come to Dallas but they already traded their picks for Markkanen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, no doubt about it. I'm glad they kept Maxi too. Losing Maxi for Lauri would make the Mavs worse in the short-run. The idea, right now, is for them to improve in the short-run, so I'm glad they didn't pull the trigger on a deal.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#62 » by Bob8 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:40 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:Seeing the price they paid for Lauri and what the Bulls got back in return, I'm kinda glad the Mavs didn't pull the trigger. I was hoping the Mavs could get him for the TPE and 2nd round picks or a prospect, but even then, Lauri wouldn't have moved the needle too much. He would have come off the bench and played the Bobby Portis role for this team. That's an important role, but it's not worth giving up a first round pick for. A lot of 6MOY only cost 2nd round picks or something like that. Clarkson was a 2nd round pick himself and the Jazz got him for a bust and two 2nds. Ingles was undrafted, Brunson was a 2nd round pick, and THJ was a throw-in to the KP trade. Lou Williams himself was a 2nd round pick, and DRose was signed as a FA. Not too often will you see a team give up a first round pick for a 6th man, so I'm glad that Mavs didn't.

Also, the Mavs will probably need those first round picks, prospects, cash, and swaps so they can take a swing at bigger players on the trade market. I'm sure they want to go after Beal now that the Wizards traded away Westbrook.

100%

I’m glad they didn’t make this trade (for that price). When the trade deadline is here and if they had already traded their draft capital for Markkanen there would be a lot of angry Mavs fans. Can you imagine, Dame wants to come to Dallas but they already traded their picks for Markkanen.

Yeah, no doubt about it. I'm glad they kept Maxi too. Losing Maxi for Lauri would make the Mavs worse in the short-run. The idea, right now, is for them to improve in the short-run, so I'm glad they didn't pull the trigger on a deal.

May I ask you, how will Mavs improve, if (very average) players are untouchable?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,811

Post#63 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:15 am

But the idea of improve in the short-run is basically remains the same team than last 2 years? Sure?
In which world would Dame want to come here? A 32yo who wants win, we are 2/3 years away from that because we don't have the assets to trade for him...Maxi,THJ, Powell, DFS, Bullock, Boban ecc ecc are scrubs with no trade value.
Signin players like DDR and Markaneen can improve their value It's a different case.
Markaneen has upside, our role players can only worse.

Of course Dame , or a player like him, will never come here. Stop dreaming, we need to improve our roster right now and stop waste time...but i'm afraid it's too late, waste 3 years it's very heavy.

We are in the Portland situation...Stuck in mediocrity and fall in love with our guys (CJ, Nurkic ecc ecc).

Anyway we failed all our priority, that's the true.
Cuban's words at the end of the season were clear.
You can be optimistic but this is the reality, i'm waiting for another social **** storm on Cuban.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Mr B wrote:100%

May I ask you, how will Mavs improve, if (very average) players are untouchable?

They're not untouchable. They just want upgrades over those players, not downgrades. Trading Maxi for Lauri would have been a downgrade in the short-term for sure.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:17 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

They're not untouchable. They just want upgrades over those players, not downgrades. Trading Maxi for Lauri would have been a downgrade in the short-term for sure.

It's difficult to understand that much love for Kleber. Kleber was in both playoffs series negative player. Who cares, if he shots 40% for 3, if he makes only 1 3 pointer per game in playoffs and who cares if he's solid defender, if he cannot defend player he defends. Kawhi wouldn't play better, if Kleber wasn't in the roster. Markkanen is a lot younger and much better offensive player. You can at least hope that he becomes good player and someone you can use as asset. Kleber is what he is. I would like too AD/Kleber trade, but realistically you're not getting someone better than Markkanen for Kleber. And we have seen that Kleber is more or less useless in playoffs.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,811

Post#66 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:47 pm

Maxi is a 7+5 player who can only shoots for 3 when he is wide open, good (not great) defender and nothing else...it's simply impossible downgrade trading him for Markaneen.

Lauri could be a crack but if even he fails he will ever be a better basketball player than Maxi.
If someone is suspicius about trading FRP that's ok...I understand that, but if the problem is giving away Maxi Kleber we are earning this mediocrity.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 pm

Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

It's difficult to understand that much love for Kleber. Kleber was in both playoffs series negative player. Who cares, if he shots 40% for 3, if he makes only 1 3 pointer per game in playoffs and who cares if he's solid defender, if he cannot defend player he defends. Kawhi wouldn't play better, if Kleber wasn't in the roster. Markkanen is a lot younger and much better offensive player. You can at least hope that he becomes good player and someone you can use as asset. Kleber is what he is. I would like too AD/Kleber trade, but realistically you're not getting someone better than Markkanen for Kleber. And we have seen that Kleber is more or less useless in playoffs.

Playoff series are dependent on matchups. Like you said, Kleber shot 40% from 3 and played solid defense. Lauri has more versatility on offense, but he's worse defensively, and it looks like the Mavs just want everyone not named Luka to spot up. So Lauri's role would be the same as Kleber's.

And with Lauri, you're hoping a lot, much like you said. I want an upgrade over Kleber and DFS, but I don't want to hope for that upgrade. Ideally, keep both Kleber and DFS and get those upgrades some other way. But that's tough, I know.

But the Mavs would be worse off in the short-run without Maxi, and that's a big issue because the Mavs gotta find a way to get better in the short-run.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:22 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Maxi is a 7+5 player who can only shoots for 3 when he is wide open, good (not great) defender and nothing else...it's simply impossible downgrade trading him for Markaneen.

Lauri could be a crack but if even he fails he will ever be a better basketball player than Maxi.
If someone is suspicius about trading FRP that's ok...I understand that, but if the problem is giving away Maxi Kleber we are earning this mediocrity.

The first round pick was an issue for sure, yeah.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:24 pm

Honestly, a lot of people do and should care that Kleber is a quality 3D player.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Lauri's role with the Mavs may have just been as a spot-up shooter tbh. I know he can put it on the floor and finish some, but the Mavs basically let Luka run everything, so I'd expect less volume and ISOs for Lauri as a result.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#71 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I really like Kleber but he is just a role player. He was really bad in the playoffs in the bubble. I would have included him in the trade to get Markkanen but you’re not improving the team. They would have just traded defense for offense. If you want to compete for a title that’s really not the way you want to go. I’d rather they use those assets at the trade deadline where I think a better deal will be available to them.

This was not a bad team last year. Let’s see what these guys have and what Kidd can do with them. Make an adjustment at the trade deadline (any player not named Luka is available) and go full speed into the playoffs.

Bob8
General Manager

Post#72 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Playoff series are dependent on matchups. Like you said, Kleber shot 40% from 3 and played solid defense. Lauri has more versatility on offense, but he's worse defensively, and it looks like the Mavs just want everyone not named Luka to spot up. So Lauri's role would be the same as Kleber's.

And with Lauri, you're hoping a lot, much like you said. I want an upgrade over Kleber and DFS, but I don't want to hope for that upgrade. Ideally, keep both Kleber and DFS and get those upgrades some other way. But that's tough, I know.

But the Mavs would be worse off in the short-run without Maxi, and that's a big issue because the Mavs gotta find a way to get better in the short-run.

40% for 3 means very little, if you need to be totally open and have a lot of time to shoot, because you're not getting enough of those shots. Kleber is just scoring too little to be a factor in offense. His D is OK but nothing special. All in all a player with very little impact on Mavs results, too little to be a starter in serious team. Markkanen on the other hand has much more potential and being much better offensive player, means that Mavs wouldn't be worse in short run too. Mavs should find those potentially good players, whose value is low at the time of the trade. You basically trade slightly overrated player for underrated player, who wants out of the club and specifically wants to join your team. Which is very rare in Mavs case. I believe it's the chance missed.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#73 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

I really like Kleber but he is just a role player. He was really bad in the playoffs in the bubble. I would have included him in the trade to get Markkanen but you’re not improving the team. They would have just traded defense for offense. If you want to compete for a title that’s really not the way you want to go. I’d rather they use those assets at the trade deadline where I think a better deal will be available to them.

This was not a bad team last year. Let’s see what these guys have and what Kidd can do with them. Make an adjustment at the trade deadline (any player not named Luka is available) and go full speed into the playoffs.

I believe Luka could have made Markkanen looked very good. His stock going up again and Mavs finally have some asset. Mavs will need to do something sooner than later. And they're for sure not getting stars for Kleber, DFS, Powell, Brunson...Markkanen is very young, with good potential and willing to come hear. I don't know what more could you expect to get for Kleber, unless you believe 7/5 player is untouchable, because he's too important for a team.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Lauri's solid and all, but doesn't move the needle enough, even if the Mavs just got him for nothing.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

40% for 3 means very little, if you need to be totally open and have a lot of time to shoot, because you're not getting enough of those shots. Kleber is just scoring too little to be a factor in offense. His D is OK but nothing special. All in all a player with very little impact on Mavs results, too little to be a starter in serious team. Markkanen on the other hand has much more potential and being much better offensive player, means that Mavs wouldn't be worse in short run too. Mavs should find those potentially good players, whose value is low at the time of the trade. You basically trade slightly overrated player for underrated player, who wants out of the club and specifically wants to join your team. Which is very rare in Mavs case. I believe it's the chance missed.

That's true about Kleber being a spot-up/catch-and-shoot player, but honestly, that's what just about everybody was last year except for Luka. The Mavs gotta change the offense first for the Lauri fit to make much sense. And since the Mavs already have weak defenders in the starting lineup like Luka, KP, and THJ, that means a guy like Lauri would come off the bench. He'd be a 6MOY candidate, but he'd prolly come off the bench. Unless the Mavs want to go heavy on offense and awful on defense for their starting lineup. I could see them doing that in some situations, but it's better for them to go balanced.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#76 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:02 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Lauri's solid and all, but doesn't move the needle enough, even if the Mavs just got him for nothing.

Mavs won't get a player, who will singlehanded move the needle, they will need to somehow upgrade their team with multiple changes, just waiting for star to come in Dallas won't do.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#77 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

That's true about Kleber being a spot-up/catch-and-shoot player, but honestly, that's what just about everybody was last year except for Luka. The Mavs gotta change the offense first for the Lauri fit to make much sense. And since the Mavs already have weak defenders in the starting lineup like Luka, KP, and THJ, that means a guy like Lauri would come off the bench. He'd be a 6MOY candidate, but he'd prolly come off the bench. Unless the Mavs want to go heavy on offense and awful on defense for their starting lineup. I could see them doing that in some situations, but it's better for them to go balanced.

It's not a problem to be spot up shooter, Kleber's problem is his extremely slow shooting motion.

Problem is that Mavs are already extremely bad in D, Kleber alone cannot do much there, his D is not winning games. Markkanen + rim protector is light years better than Kleber + rim protector. So the question is not, if they should trade Kleber for someone better offensively and much younger, sure they should, but how to change KP for rim protector. There's no D, if KP is playing like last year. Mavs D needs rim protector and someone to slow down wings.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#78 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I believe Luka could have made Markkanen looked very good. His stock going up again and Mavs finally have some asset. Mavs will need to do something sooner than later. And they're for sure not getting stars for Kleber, DFS, Powell, Brunson...Markkanen is very young, with good potential and willing to come hear. I don't know what more could you expect to get for Kleber, unless you believe 7/5 player is untouchable, because he's too important for a team.

For Kleber straight up I agree, he’s not going to fetch a whole lot. But Kleber, a 1st, and a couple seconds can fetch you someone better than Markkanen at the trade deadline. Markkanen (at $17M) by himself won’t fetch you much more than Kleber at the deadline.

Bob8
General Manager

Post#79 » by Bob8 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:I really like Kleber but he is just a role player. He was really bad in the playoffs in the bubble. I would have included him in the trade to get Markkanen but you’re not improving the team. They would have just traded defense for offense. If you want to compete for a title that’s really not the way you want to go. I’d rather they use those assets at the trade deadline where I think a better deal will be available to them.

For Kleber straight up I agree, he’s not going to fetch a whole lot. But Kleber, a 1st, and a couple seconds can fetch you someone better than Markkanen at the trade deadline. Markkanen (at $17M) by himself won’t fetch you much more than Kleber at the deadline.

We don't know what would Bulls wanted in addition to Kleber.

Who is better than Markkanen, who wants to come in Dallas, is around 24 years old, meaning he has still a lot of room to improve, and could realistically be traded for Kleber?

Disgruntled Markkanen playing in Chicago won't. But better version, playing with Luka might get you a lot more. Markkanen was always much superior talent to Kleber and he still is. People are forgetting that he's only 2 years older than Luka.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#80 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:47 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

We don't know what would Bulls wanted in addition to Kleber.

Who is better than Markkanen, who wants to come in Dallas, is around 24 years old, meaning he has still a lot of room to improve, and could realistically be traded for Kleber?

Well we do know that they turned down Powell/1st/two 2nds from Dallas for Markkanen. According to that report I posted yesterday anyways. Then on top of that Cleveland paid him almost $17M per. That’s too steep a price for Markkanen.

As for who wants to come to Dallas at the trade deadline? That’s the beauty of a trade. The player doesn’t have to want to come here. He can still be traded to Dallas.

Return to Dallas Mavericks