ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrew Wiggins

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 145

Andrew Wiggins 

Post#1 » by Dubs 707 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:45 am

What can we expect from Wiggins when Klay returns? Unfortunately he got trusted in as the second option role will he thrive as the third option?

What numbers do you predict?
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Re: Andrew Wiggins 

Post#2 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:24 am

Dubs 707 wrote:What can we expect from Wiggins when Klay returns? Unfortunately he got trusted in as the second option role will he thrive as the third option?

Wiggins had the most efficient year of his career last year, because he wasn’t asked to create as much for himself as he previously had, and he got more open shots than he ever had. More than the 18.6 ppg he scored (in his lowest MPG of his career at 33.3), what mattered to me last year and will matter to me this year is how efficient he was.

He shot 52.9% on 2-pointers, which is better than his previous best of 50.6% for 2019-20 (split between Minnesota and GSW).
He shot 38.0% on 3-pointers, which is better than his previous best of 35.6%.
Combined, he shot 47.7% overall, with a true shooting of 56.8%. His previous career highs were 45.9% and 54.3%, respectively.

Those “jumps” (about 2.5% on every stat) is huge when you’re talking about a 7th-year player. And I think they’re indicative of him playing in our system, with a guy who distracts the defense (Curry), a guy who knows how to hit players who are open (Draymond), and less need to create his own shots.

And the reason I mention this is because when you add another guy who can distract defenses (Klay) and guys off the bench (Poole, Iguodala) who will reduce Wiggins’ need to create…… I think we could see similar gains in efficiency. Part of that is that with improved spacing, he’ll be able to make even more off-ball cuts to the hoop and get a lot of easy baskets on feeds from others.

But I also think that due to the increased depth - particularly on the wing - he may not play as many minutes. And he will be able to lock in even harder on defense.

So here’s my guess on Wiggins’ numbers, after Klay comes back (healthy):

Minutes/game: 32
Points/game: 18 (3rd-highest scorer on the team)
2-point %: 55%
3-point %: 39%
Overall %: 49%
True shooting: 59%

Rebounding and assists, he is what he is. He’ll average probably a little under 5 rebounds/game, and 2.5 assists/game. I don’t see much deviation there from his historical performance.

But if he’s hitting those percentages, playing that efficiently on offense, and locking guys down on defense…… with one year left on his contract after this upcoming season, he will have turned around peoples’ opinions of him.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#3 » by Coxy » Wed Sep 1, 2021 11:13 am

He’ll be fine.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#4 » by a8bil » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:31 pm

He'll be fine...but he'll be frustratingly passive on the offensive end.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#5 » by Hopper15 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:18 pm

[quote="ChuckDurn"][/quote]
Great breakdown man.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Post#6 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:21 pm

Something like 18/5/3, with a slight uptick in efficiency, and borderline All-Defensive Team defense.

A top 5 defender for his position, I think, or something closer to that.

Anything better than that is gravy, IMO.

Wiggins is actually becoming correctly paid. A 26-year old player with this kind of performance numbers on the open market could easily fetch a 25 mi/year contract.

The problem is that he underperformed so badly in his first few years in the league that the narrative is so much deep rooted to what you've been reading for years.

And I shall say more, if we could somehow resign him for 20 mi/year after his current deal, we would be getting a steal in our hands.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#7 » by a8bil » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:44 pm

When I think of Wiggins, I think of a slightly better JR Smith. anyone else share this view?
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Dubs 707 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:10 pm

I think better Harrison Barnes
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#9 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:21 pm

a8bil wrote:When I think of Wiggins, I think of a slightly better JR Smith. anyone else share this view?

No. JR Smith was a gunner off the bench for most of his career and a mediocre defender.

Wiggins is a multi-faceted scorer that can shoot from any range, attack the bucket and can do both with or without the ball. He's also an outstanding defender.

So can it be said that the difference between Wiggins and JR only slight?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#10 » by a8bil » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:47 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
a8bil wrote:When I think of Wiggins, I think of a slightly better JR Smith. anyone else share this view?

No. JR Smith was a gunner off the bench for most of his career and a mediocre defender.

Wiggins is a multi-faceted scorer that can shoot from any range, attack the bucket and can do both with or without the ball. He's also an outstanding defender.

Hmmm...I'm not sure your impression of JR Smith or Wiggins aligns with reality. For many years of his career, Smith was playing upwards of or over 30 minutes a game (though he did come off the bench a lot at Den and NYK). That's not an off the bench gunner. And, my impression (at least over the past decade) was that he was a very good on ball defender but average as a team defender. Which, I think, is exactly what Wiggins has proven to be with GSW. Wiggins obviously had (and earned) more opportunities as a #2 at Minn than JR Smith ever had, but skill wise, I see a lot of similarities, with Smith being the better 3 pt shooter, and Wiggins the better driver.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#11 » by WESCO » Wed Sep 1, 2021 7:54 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
Dubs 707 wrote:What can we expect from Wiggins when Klay returns? Unfortunately he got trusted in as the second option role will he thrive as the third option?

Wiggins had the most efficient year of his career last year, because he wasn’t asked to create as much for himself as he previously had, and he got more open shots than he ever had. More than the 18.6 ppg he scored (in his lowest MPG of his career at 33.3), what mattered to me last year and will matter to me this year is how efficient he was.

He shot 52.9% on 2-pointers, which is better than his previous best of 50.6% for 2019-20 (split between Minnesota and GSW).
He shot 38.0% on 3-pointers, which is better than his previous best of 35.6%.
Combined, he shot 47.7% overall, with a true shooting of 56.8%. His previous career highs were 45.9% and 54.3%, respectively.

Those “jumps” (about 2.5% on every stat) is huge when you’re talking about a 7th-year player. And I think they’re indicative of him playing in our system, with a guy who distracts the defense (Curry), a guy who knows how to hit players who are open (Draymond), and less need to create his own shots.

And the reason I mention this is because when you add another guy who can distract defenses (Klay) and guys off the bench (Poole, Iguodala) who will reduce Wiggins’ need to create…… I think we could see similar gains in efficiency. Part of that is that with improved spacing, he’ll be able to make even more off-ball cuts to the hoop and get a lot of easy baskets on feeds from others.

But I also think that due to the increased depth - particularly on the wing - he may not play as many minutes. And he will be able to lock in even harder on defense.

So here’s my guess on Wiggins’ numbers, after Klay comes back (healthy):

Minutes/game: 32
Points/game: 18 (3rd-highest scorer on the team)
2-point %: 55%
3-point %: 39%
Overall %: 49%
True shooting: 59%

Rebounding and assists, he is what he is. He’ll average probably a little under 5 rebounds/game, and 2.5 assists/game. I don’t see much deviation there from his historical performance.

But if he’s hitting those percentages, playing that efficiently on offense, and locking guys down on defense…… with one year left on his contract after this upcoming season, he will have turned around peoples’ opinions of him.

/Thread
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#12 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:20 pm

a8bil wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Hmmm...I'm not sure your impression of JR Smith or Wiggins aligns with reality. For many years of his career, Smith was playing upwards of or over 30 minutes a game (though he did come off the bench a lot at Den and NYK). That's not an off the bench gunner. And, my impression (at least over the past decade) was that he was a very good on ball defender but average as a team defender. Which, I think, is exactly what Wiggins has proven to be with GSW. Wiggins obviously had (and earned) more opportunities as a #2 at Minn than JR Smith ever had, but skill wise, I see a lot of similarities, with Smith being the better 3 pt shooter, and Wiggins the better driver.

JR played 30+ mpg 4 of his 16 seasons. His best season scoring-wise was 18ppg once and his next best was 15ppg 3 times. He averaged 10 fga and 5 3pters per over his career. If 60% of your games are off the bench and 50% of your shots are 3s being called a gunner off the bench is pretty accurate.

JR was a passable but inconsistent defender with the Cavs when his usage declined alongside Lebron but prior to that with NYK, Denver and NOH he was known as a poor and disinterested defender.

With the Warriors, Wiggins is an excellent on ball defender which is important because he's routinely tasked with guarding the other team's best offensive wing which means help or team defense is less important.

Wiggins is also a 3 level scorer while JR never had a midrange game or spent much time, particularly later on, at or near the bucket.

Wiggins is just a far more versatile and multi-faceted player. Being a better catch-and-shoot 3pt shooter is the only thing I can think of that JR does better.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#13 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:20 pm

My concern is he get's lost with the less significant role and fewer touches. We are asking him to be a spot up guy or a guy that tries to find touches now and then?
However, he for sure can FOCUS HARD on defending the other teams best defender. I'd love to see him all-defensive first or second team and he has the talent to get it.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#14 » by sonnyhill » Thu Sep 2, 2021 3:23 am

Sometimes a player's best ability is his availability, and Wiggins has proven himself to be durable and available.

While Kerr had stated that he "is not chasing wins," I also do not see Kerr having to load manage Wiggins's playing time nor having to give Wiggins nights off as Pop, Doc, and Lue has had to do with Kawhi (BTW, I am not making the argument that Wiggins is a better player than Kawhi).

We Warrior fans all appreciate Wiggins' defense. I would love to see him further refine his mid-range offensive game as well as get into the paint and attack the basket more, too.

Also, let's not assume that Wiggins's game has already peaked.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#15 » by Impuniti » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:45 pm

Barnes with elite defence.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 787

Post#16 » by vagelis » Thu Sep 2, 2021 7:27 pm

Return to Golden State Warriors