Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: The state of Klay 

Post#81 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:34 am

michaelm wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:
Agreed. I don't think the achilles will affect him as bad as people think.

Klay is Klay because of his shooting. He was never some guy who relied on dunking in the paint to be productive. His conditioning will take a while to come back, but even if he's regulated to just knocking down corner 3s for his first 2 months back that's already a huge help because he'll make those most of the time which puts so much pressure on the defense that it opens up the floor more compared to the last 2 seasons.

Two ways to look at it:

1) He didnt rely on athleticism overtly. This is true, his game is built on his shot and his BBIQ. This means his floor remains very high no matter what happens

2) He did have several aspects of athleticism that he did rely on. He doesn't move laterally very quick, but he could quickly go from triple threat into a jumper, almost mechanically, extremely quick. This is relevant because the motion, while looking smooth, is a bit herky/jerky to go from 0 to jumper that fast. So there's risk of stress on the legs there. But most importantly, you're looking at 2 differently injured legs. Usually with one injury, a player will favor the healthy leg until the other one is more comfortable. Klay has a unique situation where both legs are on the mend, which could result in some bad shooting to start

tldr - there's a lot more to athleticism than lateral quickness, and we should expect it to be rough to start

Yes, the hamstring injury was likely a significant contributor to the ACL tear, and the ACL tear to the Achilles' injury.
You would know better than I do how long an elite sportsman who can devote himself to training with access to every resource will take to regain full strength in his leg after an Achilles' injury, but one other athletic attribute he had was great endurance, which I rather doubt he will have early on at least.

Its a tough call because I dont have all the info I'd usually have... but so far everyone I've talked to seems optimistic, for whatever thats worth?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#82 » by michaelm » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:52 am

FNQ wrote:
michaelm wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Two ways to look at it:

1) He didnt rely on athleticism overtly. This is true, his game is built on his shot and his BBIQ. This means his floor remains very high no matter what happens

2) He did have several aspects of athleticism that he did rely on. He doesn't move laterally very quick, but he could quickly go from triple threat into a jumper, almost mechanically, extremely quick. This is relevant because the motion, while looking smooth, is a bit herky/jerky to go from 0 to jumper that fast. So there's risk of stress on the legs there. But most importantly, you're looking at 2 differently injured legs. Usually with one injury, a player will favor the healthy leg until the other one is more comfortable. Klay has a unique situation where both legs are on the mend, which could result in some bad shooting to start

tldr - there's a lot more to athleticism than lateral quickness, and we should expect it to be rough to start

Yes, the hamstring injury was likely a significant contributor to the ACL tear, and the ACL tear to the Achilles' injury.
You would know better than I do how long an elite sportsman who can devote himself to training with access to every resource will take to regain full strength in his leg after an Achilles' injury, but one other athletic attribute he had was great endurance, which I rather doubt he will have early on at least.

Its a tough call because I dont have all the info I'd usually have... but so far everyone I've talked to seems optimistic, for whatever thats worth?

Thanks, yeah it is hard to know, but even if he is fully recovered strength wise I don’t see him being the iron horse he was previously particularly defensively for some time, maybe not ever again.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#83 » by NeoWarriors » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:50 pm

Today on Instagram Klay went live piloting his boat on the bay. He was piloting it to the practice facility at the Chase Center. KLAY IS COMMUTING TO WORK ON A **** BOAT! Living the life.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#84 » by hamncheese » Fri Sep 3, 2021 12:42 am

NeoWarriors wrote:Today on Instagram Klay went live piloting his boat on the bay. He was piloting it to the practice facility at the Chase Center. KLAY IS COMMUTING TO WORK ON A **** BOAT! Living the life.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app

Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by NeoWarriors » Fri Sep 3, 2021 1:17 am

hamncheese wrote:
NeoWarriors wrote:Today on Instagram Klay went live piloting his boat on the bay. He was piloting it to the practice facility at the Chase Center. KLAY IS COMMUTING TO WORK ON A **** BOAT! Living the life.

That's the one. You see Kerith Burke and Brandon Rush's name pop up on the screen. And Klay acknowledged them.

NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by NeoWarriors » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:10 pm

So it turns out Klay was actually just parking his boat wherever he wanted. Mike Brown had to step in and get him his own slip.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-mike-brown-reveals-hilarious-klay-thompson-boat-story

Read on Twitter
?s=19

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#87 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:30 pm

hamncheese wrote:

I want to see Boat Klay get blown up to the point that The Lonely Island does an Instagram Live performance with Klay on his way to work.

cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by NeoWarriors » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 pm

She's not exactly street legal, hey Mike!

Klay with the classic Old School line.

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#89 » by HiRez » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Just when you think Klay can't get any more awesome he proves you wrong again. Probably the only main Warriors guy that fans from other teams almost never criticize, because how can you really? Steph I can see how the shimmys and throwing the mouthguard and such can get people annoyed (even though they are minor) and Draymond is Draymond, being dislikable is just part of his brand.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#90 » by floppymoose » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Love the classic american land boat with super straight 60's lines. If I ever get one it will be a plymouth satellite:

(I grew up driving a 1963 Ford Fairlane with manual 3-speed on the column.)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#91 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 pm

Klay must be protected at all costs
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by NeoWarriors » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:02 am

Read on Twitter

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,176

Post#93 » by Impuniti » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 am

Just don't rush him.. please.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Impuniti wrote:Just don't rush him.. please.

I dont think they are rushing him on the court, but I definitely have concerns how they use him once he gets there
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,176

Post#95 » by Impuniti » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 am

FNQ wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Just don't rush him.. please.

I dont think they are rushing him on the court, but I definitely have concerns how they use him once he gets there

Yeah, that's another valid concern. I would bring him in very slowly by putting him in the G League first and then play him with very limited minutes and then continuously raise them bit by bit over time, but again.. I'm not in the medical field.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#96 » by hamncheese » Sat Nov 6, 2021 3:12 pm

If you didn't watch last night's ESPN broadcast, there was nice bit with Klay giving an update.

Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by FNQ » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:18 pm

January 2022:

Curry (34)
Draymond (28)
Wiggins (28)
Klay (28)
Poole (20)
Looney (18)
Iguodala (16)
Lee (16)
OPJ (14)
GP2 (14)
Nemo (12)
Wiseman (12)

with JTA/Kuminga/Moody ready to jump in the rotation for injury or rest days

Curry (34) / Poole (14)
Klay (28) / GP2 (14) / Poole (6)
Wiggins (22) / Lee (16) / Iguodala (10)
Draymond (22) / OPJ (14) / Iguodala (6) / Wiggins (6)
Looney (18) / Nemo (12) / Wiseman (12) / Draymond (6)
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#98 » by and1GS » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:25 pm

After the past 2 seasons and near the end of the KD era I never thought I'd see the day where we are literally too deep. 15 NBA caliber players!
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#99 » by WarriorGM » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:39 am

FNQ wrote:January 2022:

Curry (34)
Draymond (28)
Wiggins (28)
Klay (28)
Poole (20)
Looney (18)
Iguodala (16)
Lee (16)
OPJ (14)
GP2 (14)
Nemo (12)
Wiseman (12)

with JTA/Kuminga/Moody ready to jump in the rotation for injury or rest days

Curry (34) / Poole (14)
Klay (28) / GP2 (14) / Poole (6)
Wiggins (22) / Lee (16) / Iguodala (10)
Draymond (22) / OPJ (14) / Iguodala (6) / Wiggins (6)
Looney (18) / Nemo (12) / Wiseman (12) / Draymond (6)

28 minutes for Klay in January for me is pushing it. I'd be more comfortable if he played less minutes to start with to ease him back in. He's coming back from two major injuries. I'd be treating him like Iguodala. His skill and intelligence are unquestioned but you don't push him until it's time to ramp up for the playoffs. KD last year played only 35 games and he had more time to recover.

Return to Golden State Warriors