Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

FanInTheAttic
Freshman
And1: 27

Re: Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency 

Post#141 » by FanInTheAttic » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:16 pm

DuckIII wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:There's is no point in maxing Zach's contract if the Bulls are not in the playoffs next year with this team, and why would Zach stay?

Those are two separate issues. To the first, there is a point in maxing him. You retain him as an asset. He’s a max value player and he’s young. That’s an excellent chip to have in the game.

The second issue regarding why he would stay, not sure. I think Zach is loyal to Chicago and might want to give it more than one full season with this group, that he was heavily involved in recruiting, to see if it works. Regardless, he’d at minimum take the deal and try to work a trade later to ensure he gets the best contract possible. But that’s a Zach issue for him to decide.

From the Bulls’ side, he’s a no brainer max unless he suffers a severe injury or turns into a lunatic malcontent out of nowhere.

Yes you are right, there might be a point of maxing his contract to retain him as an asset, but how would his trade value be with a max contract if he doesn't manage to take the Bulls to the playoffs with the team built around him next season? Trading by trade deadline and receiving picks in exchange are also valuable assets for future trades. I mean if we can't reach to the playoffs with this roster, it is a big disappointment. And I'm only talking about playoffs, I guess the ultimate goal is to be a contender. AKME is known for making bold moves quickly, so if there is no acceptable outcome with all the moves that has been done,I wouldn't be surprised if he would make another bold move. But like you said, maybe it's better to max Zach and trade later if necessary, depends on the season, and if they are sure Zach is willing to do this and not sign with another team during FA.

And for the record, I believe this is a playoff team next season, I'm just speculating for a possible scenario for Zach to get traded.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#142 » by FanInTheAttic » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:20 pm

Stratmaster wrote:If this team isn't in the playoffs the most likely person to go is Billy Donovan.

Anything can happen. Injuries. Covid. But if this team is not in the playoffs it likely won't be because of Zach. Maybe through the early season you see that Vuc isn't a fit. Or that PWill isn't working in the mix. Maybe you trade another high value player who just isn't a fit.

You don't trade your best player. Certainly not in a vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Yes , you trade your best player if you know he doesn't want to be here in the next season and is approaching offseason as a FA.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,321

Post#143 » by Stratmaster » Fri Sep 3, 2021 3:47 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:If this team isn't in the playoffs the most likely person to go is Billy Donovan.

Anything can happen. Injuries. Covid. But if this team is not in the playoffs it likely won't be because of Zach. Maybe through the early season you see that Vuc isn't a fit. Or that PWill isn't working in the mix. Maybe you trade another high value player who just isn't a fit.

Yes , you trade your best player if you know he doesn't want to be here in the next season and is approaching offseason as a FA.
What makes you believe Zach doesn't want to be here next season?

The fact that they added 2 high level players with his input?

I mean sure, any player at any time can decide to ask to be traded. What has Zach said or done that makes you see this as a likelihood?

FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#144 » by FanInTheAttic » Fri Sep 3, 2021 5:03 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:

What makes you believe Zach doesn't want to be here next season?

The fact that they added 2 high level players with his input?

I mean sure, any player at any time can decide to ask to be traded. What has Zach said or done that makes you see this as a likelihood?

I don't believe he doesn't want to be here next season, like I stated before, I believe this is a playoff team and if we reach the playoffs Zach will stay with a max contract. I'm just saying that if we don't reach the playoffs it will be a huge disappointment for everyone involved, and if Zach gets a good offer as a FA from a possible contending team, why would he stay ? I would say AKME has done almost everything THEY CAN to make this team better around Zach, if there is a better environment for him somewhere else, then why not take the offer? I don't think he has much interest in staying in a losing team just out of loyalty, and it is completely ok and just normal NBA business.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,260

Post#145 » by kodo » Fri Sep 3, 2021 6:27 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:Yes you are right, there might be a point of maxing his contract to retain him as an asset, but how would his trade value be with a max contract if he doesn't manage to take the Bulls to the playoffs with the team built around him next season? Trading by trade deadline and receiving picks in exchange are also valuable assets for future trades. I mean if we can't reach to the playoffs with this roster, it is a big disappointment. And I'm only talking about playoffs, I guess the ultimate goal is to be a contender. AKME is known for making bold moves quickly, so if there is no acceptable outcome with all the moves that has been done,I wouldn't be surprised if he would make another bold move. But like you said, maybe it's better to max Zach and trade later if necessary, depends on the season, and if they are sure Zach is willing to do this and not sign with another team during FA.

And for the record, I believe this is a playoff team next season, I'm just speculating for a possible scenario for Zach to get traded.

It will be still the same. Zion didn't get to the playoffs, neither did KAT. Beal surely wouldn't have without Westbrook. These players are all about the same value tier, Lavine-KAT-Beal.

I think Anthony Davis only got his team to the playoffs twice in 6 seasons, and that never affected his value as one of the best players in the NBA.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#146 » by FanInTheAttic » Fri Sep 3, 2021 8:29 pm

kodo wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:Yes you are right, there might be a point of maxing his contract to retain him as an asset, but how would his trade value be with a max contract if he doesn't manage to take the Bulls to the playoffs with the team built around him next season? Trading by trade deadline and receiving picks in exchange are also valuable assets for future trades. I mean if we can't reach to the playoffs with this roster, it is a big disappointment. And I'm only talking about playoffs, I guess the ultimate goal is to be a contender. AKME is known for making bold moves quickly, so if there is no acceptable outcome with all the moves that has been done,I wouldn't be surprised if he would make another bold move. But like you said, maybe it's better to max Zach and trade later if necessary, depends on the season, and if they are sure Zach is willing to do this and not sign with another team during FA.

It will be still the same. Zion didn't get to the playoffs, neither did KAT. Beal surely wouldn't have without Westbrook. These players are all about the same value tier, Lavine-KAT-Beal.

I think Anthony Davis only got his team to the playoffs twice in 6 seasons, and that never affected his value as one of the best players in the NBA.

KAT took Timberwolves to the playoffs in 2018 (the season after Zach was no longer there) and signed a max extension after. He is also a two time all-star.

Beal has played in the playoffs 5 times during nine seasons he has been with the Wizards. is a three time all-star and earned an All-Nba selection this year. He only signed a two year extension in 2019 after a very productive season with 82 games.

Davis signed his extension after very productive playoff games in 2015 (with 31 points 12 rebound 3 blocks average). No need to list his other accomplishments.

All of these players have experience in playing in winning teams.

Zion has been in the league only for two years and no one knows how high his ceiling will be.

Zach is a one time all-star and still has something to prove without any playoff experience under his belt. Maybe this is just my personal preference and not how the league thinks, but do you really think that after a disappointing season with this (healthy) roster built around him Zach’s value would be considered worth a max contract around the league?
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#147 » by TheStig » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:07 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
kodo wrote:

KAT took Timberwolves to the playoffs in 2018 (the season after Zach was no longer there) and signed a max extension after. He is also a two time all-star.

Beal has played in the playoffs 5 times during nine seasons he has been with the Wizards. is a three time all-star and earned an All-Nba selection this year. He only signed a two year extension in 2019 after a very productive season with 82 games.

Davis signed his extension after very productive playoff games in 2015 (with 31 points 12 rebound 3 blocks average). No need to list his other accomplishments.

Zion has been in the league only for two years and no one knows how high his ceiling will be.

Zach is a one time all-star and still has something to prove without any playoff experience under his belt. Maybe this is just my personal preference and not how the league thinks, but do you really think that after a disappointing season with this (healthy) roster built around him Zach’s value would be considered worth a max contract around the league?

Jimmy Butler took the wolves to the playoffs. The wolves have not sniffed the playoffs before or after Jimmy was on that team. Kat's teams don't win anything.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,581

Post#148 » by DuckIII » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:21 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:Maybe this is just my personal preference and not how the league thinks, but do you really think that after a disappointing season with this (healthy) roster built around him Zach’s value would be considered worth a max contract around the league?

Absolutely. Assuming he plays somewhere in the neighborhood of what he did last season.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#149 » by FanInTheAttic » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:35 pm

TheStig wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:
kodo wrote:

Jimmy Butler took the wolves to the playoffs. The wolves have not sniffed the playoffs before or after Jimmy was on that team. Kat's teams don't win anything.

Yes, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit. Jimmy has that effect wherever he plays and definitely was the main factor in that playoff push. But Kat also played his part and had a very productive season with the most double-doubles and high FG efficiency. And he received the supermax extension after that. During recent years he has gone through a rough patch, has been hindered by injuries and missed a lot of games, tested positive for covid and also lost several family members including his mother to covid. He was also hit by a drunk driver and hospitalized during last offseason. But whenever he has played healthy he has been efficient.If you compare Zach and KAT stats (basketball-reference.com) KAT career win share 55.8 Zach 17.8. Career PER is KAT 24.9 Zach 16.6.These stats are not all, I know, but there is such a big difference that it tells a bit of something. Also even during last season, when Zach gained his all-star status and KAT probably didn't have the best season of his career, KAT had a PER of 23.1 and Zach 21.5. Their win shares were KAT 5.4. and Zach 5.9.

KAT signed the max extension after he had proved to be a valuable player with going to the playoffs with Jimmy. Zach has proved to be an excellent isolation scorer, with a possibility to be one of the best in the league next season. But he hasn't proven to be worth the max contract yet in my eyes, it really depends how the next season goes, can he take the Bulls to the playoffs with the roster built around him. I believe he can and he certainly has all the tools to do it now, and I think he showed improvement in the defensive end towards the end of the last season and during the olympic games. But if he can't be the first option and leader of this team, is he worth the max for the Bulls, or any other team in the league?
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#150 » by TheStig » Sat Sep 4, 2021 5:55 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
TheStig wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:

Yes, maybe I was exaggerating a little bit. Jimmy has that effect wherever he plays and definitely was the main factor in that playoff push. But Kat also played his part and had a very productive season with the most double-doubles and high FG efficiency. And he received the supermax extension after that. During recent years he has gone through a rough patch, has been hindered by injuries and missed a lot of games, tested positive for covid and also lost several family members including his mother to covid. He was also hit by a drunk driver and hospitalized during last offseason. But whenever he has played healthy he has been efficient.If you compare Zach and KAT stats (basketball-reference.com) KAT career win share 55.8 Zach 17.8. Career PER is KAT 24.9 Zach 16.6.These stats are not all, I know, but there is such a big difference that it tells a bit of something. Also even during last season, when Zach gained his all-star status and KAT probably didn't have the best season of his career, KAT had a PER of 23.1 and Zach 21.5. Their win shares were KAT 5.4. and Zach 5.9.

KAT signed the max extension after he had proved to be a valuable player with going to the playoffs with Jimmy. Zach has proved to be an excellent isolation scorer, with a possibility to be one of the best in the league next season. But he hasn't proven to be worth the max contract yet in my eyes, it really depends how the next season goes, can he take the Bulls to the playoffs with the roster built around him. I believe he can and he certainly has all the tools to do it now, and I think he showed improvement in the defensive end towards the end of the last season and during the olympic games. But if he can't be the first option and leader of this team, is he worth the max for the Bulls, or any other team in the league?

I'm sure Kat and Zach can be valuable players on a playoff team. The question is can they lead a team there.

I liken Kat to Kevin Love to be honest. Obviously more athletic but the same result. He can win but on a team where he is the 2nd or 3rd option.

This year, we'll see where Zach falls in. Can he get these guys to the 2nd round?
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#151 » by FanInTheAttic » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:27 pm

DuckIII wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:Maybe this is just my personal preference and not how the league thinks, but do you really think that after a disappointing season with this (healthy) roster built around him Zach’s value would be considered worth a max contract around the league?

Absolutely. Assuming he plays somewhere in the neighborhood of what he did last season.

I think that will not be enough. This is a whole different team now with Lonzo as PG and Vuc and Derozan being able (and hungry) to score at high level. Zach needs to adapt his game and take advantage of the skills of the new players. Sometimes he needs to accept a role as a 2nd or 3rd option and focus more on defense, like he did in the Olympics. If Zach still wants to take over in the 4th quarter he needs to be able to win those games too.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,386

Post#152 » by fleet » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:42 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

I think that will not be enough. This is a whole different team now with Lonzo as PG and Vuc and Derozan being able (and hungry) to score at high level. Zach needs to adapt his game and take advantage of the skills of the new players. Sometimes he needs to accept a role as a 2nd or 3rd option and focus more on defense, like he did in the Olympics. If Zach still wants to take over in the 4th quarter he needs to be able to win those games too.

There will always be that one team even if prevailing thinking is contrary. However, Zach has no more excuses ever not to make the playoffs and drive the team to be a contender for a first round win as long as the Bulls don’t play a top seed. He will have plenty of questions still surrounding him if the issue persists. I don’t think we have any idea how the Bulls might react to a disappointing season. However the Bulls will not be a bottom feeder as far as the disappointments possibilities. But the disappointment can definitely encompass a playoffs appearance if they get their doors blown off in the first round. Zach is safe at the deadline. AKME is going to support this plan mid season, full stop.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#153 » by FanInTheAttic » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:57 pm

This scenario is highly unlikely, but as a Bulls fan feels remotely possible....:

We are playing with a team with no major injuries approaching mid season and our winning percentage is under .300.

AKME will start thinking about trading Zach, there is too much of a risk that he will walk after an unsuccessful season.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,386

Post#154 » by fleet » Sat Sep 4, 2021 7:59 pm

I just don’t see any other floor is possible other than slight mediocrity as a bum slayer. They will definitely be respectable at minimum if healthy.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#155 » by gf2020hotmail » Sat Sep 4, 2021 8:37 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:Yes , you trade your best player if you know he doesn't want to be here in the next season and is approaching offseason as a FA.

FanInTheAttic wrote: I'm just saying that if we don't reach the playoffs it will be a huge disappointment for everyone involved, and if Zach gets a good offer as a FA from a possible contending team, why would he stay ? I would say AKME has done almost everything THEY CAN to make this team better around Zach, if there is a better environment for him somewhere else, then why not take the offer? I don't think he has much interest in staying in a losing team just out of loyalty, and it is completely ok and just normal NBA business.

Read the first post in the thread. There isn't a contending team with cap space to offer him a contract even at his current salary of 20 million, let alone the max. Zach is going to be so sick of losing that he leaves for Detroit? San Antonio? Orlando? That's it! That's the market for him currently.

Almost no matter what happens, like others have said, Zach is going to take the Bulls offer and then figure out if he wants to force his way out in a year.

FanInTheAttic wrote:This scenario is highly unlikely, but as a Bulls fan feels remotely possible....:

We are playing with a team with no major injuries approaching mid season and our winning percentage is under .300.

AKME will start thinking about trading Zach, there is too much of a risk that he will walk after an unsuccessful season.

You are just inventing scenarios at this point. Last season, the Bulls after 55 games with less talent and bad injury luck were 22-33, a 400 winning percentage at what would have been the deadline in a normal season. Now, they are going to be five games worse than that? And AMKE is going to be so worried that Zach is going to leave for also bad teams that he trades him? Science fiction.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#156 » by FanInTheAttic » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:11 pm

gf2020hotmail wrote:
FanInTheAttic wrote:Yes , you trade your best player if you know he doesn't want to be here in the next season and is approaching offseason as a FA.

FanInTheAttic wrote: I'm just saying that if we don't reach the playoffs it will be a huge disappointment for everyone involved, and if Zach gets a good offer as a FA from a possible contending team, why would he stay ? I would say AKME has done almost everything THEY CAN to make this team better around Zach, if there is a better environment for him somewhere else, then why not take the offer? I don't think he has much interest in staying in a losing team just out of loyalty, and it is completely ok and just normal NBA business.

Read the first post in the thread. There isn't a contending team with cap space to offer him a contract even at his current salary of 20 million, let alone the max. Zach is going to be so sick of losing that he leaves for Detroit? San Antonio? Orlando? That's it! That's the market for him currently.

Almost no matter what happens, like others have said, Zach is going to take the Bulls offer and then figure out if he wants to force his way out in a year.

FanInTheAttic wrote:This scenario is highly unlikely, but as a Bulls fan feels remotely possible....:

You are just inventing scenarios at this point. Last season, the Bulls after 55 games with less talent and bad injury luck were 22-33, a 400 winning percentage at what would have been the deadline in a normal season. Now, they are going to be five games worse than that? And AMKE is going to be so worried that Zach is going to leave for also bad teams that he trades him? Science fiction.

Why is everyone so sure AKME will offer him a max deal if we don't reach the playoffs? If next season is a failure (no playoffs) that means Zach is really just a valuable 2nd option player until he proves otherwise.(depending on how the season goes, injuries etc.) If AKME would have the option to offer him max now, I think he would and probably should do it. But not reaching the playoffs and considering the possibilities next offseason AKME is even in a better position to offer a lower deal if there isn't much other good FA options on the table for Zach. Zach could also sign an offer with a lesser team and force his way out later, just like he can do when signing with the Bulls.

Regarding the scenario we are at .300 by trade deadline, I agree it feels almost like science fiction.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman

Post#157 » by FanInTheAttic » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:26 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
gf2020hotmail wrote:

Why is everyone so sure AKME or anyone else will offer him a max deal if we don't reach the playoffs? If next season is a failure (no playoffs) that means Zach is really just a valuable 2nd option player until he proves otherwise.(depending on how the season goes, injuries etc.) If AKME would have the option to offer him max now, I think he would and probably should do it. But not reaching the playoffs and considering the possibilities next offseason AKME is even in a better position to offer a lower deal if there isn't much other good FA options on the table for Zach. Zach could also sign an offer with a lesser team and force his way out later, just like he can do when signing with the Bulls.

Regarding the scenario we are at .300 by trade deadline, I agree it feels almost like science fiction.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#158 » by dice » Sun Sep 5, 2021 12:15 am

FanInTheAttic wrote:
gf2020hotmail wrote:

Why is everyone so sure AKME will offer him a max deal if we don't reach the playoffs?

when is the last time that a scorer of lavine's caliber didn't get maxed out (other than voluntary discounts)? has that EVER happened in the max salary era?

more effective scorers than lavine last season:

curry
embiid
giannis
zion
jokic
durant

that's about it

zach will probably struggle to match last season's scoring/efficiency output, but i don't see him regressing badly either. plus, given that the bulls will be over the cap regardless of what they pay lavine, he has a lot of leverage. the luxury tax is an issue, but he has indicated a willingness to take a discount to help the team, so...
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#159 » by gf2020hotmail » Sun Sep 5, 2021 4:17 am

FanInTheAttic wrote:Why is everyone so sure AKME will offer him a max deal if we don't reach the playoffs?

FanInTheAttic wrote:Zach could also sign an offer with a lesser team and force his way out later, just like he can do when signing with the Bulls. .

That's why Zach will still have the leverage to get the max.

However, it's unlikely he'd ever sign somewhere else with a new front office and trust they would agree to deal him later if that's what he wanted. Nor would a different team offer that assurance. You don't do that with a new team because there's not a level of trust and agents don't want to damage their relationship. But a guy like Giannis can sign a max deal with the idea that if he's unhappy or they are uncompetitive, they'll work to move him to a new team
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,358

Post#160 » by HoopsterJones » Sun Sep 5, 2021 4:46 am

Bulls have to re-sign LaVine. Whatever it takes. Otherwise all these other roster moves AKME have made won’t matter. Zach is tired of losing, and building a competitive roster that should make the playoffs on paper should help convince him to stay and lead this team.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:

Return to Chicago Bulls