ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (and other Sports) 2021-22, Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Re: Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2021, Part 3 

Post#741 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:26 pm

Wait until the Nets sign LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge has been cleared to play, and the Nets are rumored to be the front runner for his services.

If they sign Aldridge, the Nets will have 21 players under contract, ten of whom are power forwards: Durant, Griffin, Millsap, Aldridge (possibly) James Johnson, Reggie Perry, Alize Johnson, Day'ron Sharpe, DeAndre Bembry and Raiquan Gray. Their only two centers are DeAndre Jordan, who may get cut, and Nicholas Claxton. Kesslier Edwards has already signed a two-way.

So four players are going to hit the street. Marcus Zegarowski is almost certainly gone, and the other three are going to be young power forwards, or two young power forwards + DeAndre Jordan.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#742 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Sep 2, 2021 4:28 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Wait until the Nets sign LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge has been cleared to play, and the Nets are rumored to be the front runner for his services.

If they sign Aldridge, the Nets will have 21 players under contract, ten of whom are power forwards: Durant, Griffin, Millsap, Aldridge (possibly) James Johnson, Reggie Perry, Alize Johnson, Day'ron Sharpe, DeAndre Bembry and Raiquan Gray. Their only two centers are DeAndre Jordan, who may get cut, and Nicholas Claxton. Kesslier Edwards has already signed a two-way.

So four players are going to hit the street. Marcus Zegarowski is almost certainly gone, and the other three are going to be young power forwards, or two young power forwards + DeAndre Jordan.

Hilarious
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#743 » by canman1971 » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:15 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Wait until the Nets sign LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge has been cleared to play, and the Nets are rumored to be the front runner for his services.

Maybe that's what the Celtics are waiting for?
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#744 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:03 pm

Well, I really like Raiquan Gray, but there are plenty of other guys around the league who will be cut. And if the Nets are smart, they will offer the other two-way to Gray. He's a poor man's Antoine Walker without the crazy treys.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#745 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Sep 2, 2021 6:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Eww Millsap to the Nets? Lame.

If the Cs are getting a PF, looks like it's gonna be through a trade

seriously man, this is really annoying with 2 teams getting these crazy stacked teams.

You don't see this type of BS going on with any of the other major sports leagues - they all have better competitive balance and no super teams.

I just really hope the nets and lakers do not make the NBA finals but unfortunately they probably both will, ugh..

Players don't usually get to stack teams, but the organizations try their hardest to do it in every major sport. My Bucs drafted REALLY well, added top tier FA including Brady, we are stacked! Yankees and Sox stuff their teams with top talent. It happens. The only difference is the players are the ones in charge of it in the NBA.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#746 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Sep 2, 2021 11:12 pm

superteams are easy to fix, if that's what you want to do. Just limit the number of veteran minimum contracts that each team can have for players with 5+ years of experience.

moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#747 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:16 am

Claxton played pretty well in the playoffs. He was even on Tatum a bit. Young too.
That's the Way of the World
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#748 » by ParticleMan » Sat Sep 4, 2021 10:44 am

are any of them better than parker? that's the question.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#749 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Sep 4, 2021 1:46 pm

Parker should be cut as a favor to him. With Juancho now in the fold, Parker is unlikely to play enough minutes to earn a decent contract. He's behind Juancho, Horford, Grant Williams and maybe even Fernando and Hauser for minutes at the backup pf position. Parker should be waived so that he can sign elsewhere. The Cavs could probably use him.

BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#750 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Sep 4, 2021 2:02 pm

Parker needs to get cut, no need to pay him, he will not get minutes anyway...

Sent from my SM-T530 using RealGM mobile app
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#751 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:18 pm

For those with the mindset of cutting Parker, I say not yet. what if Parker comes in the best shape of his life? I know, it's a Big maybe. but if comparing all our choices at PF between Parker, Juancho, Grant, Bruno and Hauser we have;

Parker - the potential best scorer of the bunch. Mid range and inside, but not so good from 3. Ok to not so good defense, good rebounder.

Juancho - best height and shooting combo of the bunch. Defender?? rebounder??

Grant - try hard glue guy, good lockeroom etc... can fill in short stints, but is he rotation worthy?

Bruno - high energy and best "power" of the bunch, but can he be a 4 man in today's game? Shooting and switching etc..

Hauser - potentially best shooter maybe on elite level ( as a shooter/shooting coach) I love his shooting stroke. It is legit. needs some seasoning, and improved physicality, but I still say by year's end may be the most valuable back-up 4 man. His potential "make you pay" shooting ability is more valuable to the J's/Boston than any other players value IMO.

No one really stands out on defense. Obviously Bruno top rim protector but switch-ability can't be a strength.

With all of that said, they all have different attributes. and J Parker has one that should at the very least garner a much more serious look come training camp.

Does everyone want a clear upgrade, yes. But if you ask me everyone is near the same level until proven otherwise.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#752 » by GoGreen » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:29 pm

playa-hater wrote:For those with the mindset of cutting Parker, I say not yet. what if Parker comes in the best shape of his life? I know, it's a Big maybe. but if comparing all our choices at PF between Parker, Juancho, Grant, Bruno and Hauser we have;

Parker - the potential best scorer of the bunch. Mid range and inside, but not so good from 3. Ok to not so good defense, good rebounder.

Grant - try hard glue guy, good lockeroom etc... can fill in short stints, but is he rotation worthy?

Bruno - high energy and best "power" of the bunch, but can he be a 4 man in today's game? Shooting and switching etc..

Hauser - potentially best shooter maybe on elite level ( as a shooter/shooting coach) I love his shooting stroke. It is legit. needs some seasoning, and improved physicality, but I still say by year's end may be the most valuable back-up 4 man. His potential "make you pay" shooting ability is more valuable to the J's/Boston than any other players value IMO.

No one really stands out on defense. Obviously Bruno top rim protector but switch-ability can't be a strength.

With all of that said, they all have different attributes. and J Parker has one that should at the very least garner a much more serious look come training camp.

Does everyone want a clear upgrade, yes. But if you ask me everyone is near the same level until proven otherwise.

Yea, truth is we're probably not getting much better at the backup pf position this year. I think this is our roster (unless Wyc decides to be a cheapo to avoid the tax), and I like it. Juancho is a fine backup. 10-15 for him, give Parker 5-10 and Tatum will play the rest. easy peezy.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#753 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:33 pm

following up my previous post. I have

Juancho - as my Las Vegas odds maker fav to win the spot, yet how good is he at everything including shooting?? His small sample sizes makes it hard to analyze. 42% as a high and 28% as a low?

J Parker - IMO at this time is my second choice as best PF. Come in shape, improve your defense and shooting, and maybe blows away the comp. Or not..

Hauser - won't be given the chance early (see Nesmith) but by year's end??

Bruno - at the very least will crash the boards like a maniac. But spacing and switch-ability leaves him 4th choice.

Grant - It would take a lot for me to want to see him the lineup over these players.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#754 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 4, 2021 3:35 pm

GoGreen wrote:
playa-hater wrote:For those with the mindset of cutting Parker, I say not yet. what if Parker comes in the best shape of his life? I know, it's a Big maybe. but if comparing all our choices at PF between Parker, Juancho, Grant, Bruno and Hauser we have;

Yea, truth is we're probably not getting much better at the backup pf position this year. I think this is our roster (unless Wyc decides to be a cheapo to avoid the tax), and I like it. Juancho is a fine backup. 10-15 for him, give Parker 5-10 and Tatum will play the rest. easy peezy.

Me personally I would rather give all the minutes to only one backup to build rhythm and confidence. And that is to whomever wins the job. Make them compete IME!!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,211

Post#755 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 5, 2021 3:35 am

Didn't care to fact-check this. Indeed wild if true.
Read on Twitter
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#756 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 5, 2021 9:55 am

playa-hater wrote:following up my previous post. I have

Juancho - as my Las Vegas odds maker fav to win the spot, yet how good is he at everything including shooting?? His small sample sizes makes it hard to analyze. 42% as a high and 28% as a low?

J Parker - IMO at this time is my second choice as best PF. Come in shape, improve your defense and shooting, and maybe blows away the comp. Or not..

Bruno - at the very least will crash the boards like a maniac. But spacing and switch-ability leaves him 4th choice.

Grant - It would take a lot for me to want to see him the lineup over these players.

well 42% was in 14 games after he got traded. that's a pretty small sample. overall that year he shot like 34%, which is i think more reflective of his shooting. the 28% was early in his career, in the year he played the smallest # of minutes.

grant is still the best overall defender in that group. if he can shoot 3's at 40%, which he's shown stretches to do, i think he's very much in the convo for first PF off the bench.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#757 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 5, 2021 10:57 pm

ParticleMan wrote:

well 42% was in 14 games after he got traded. that's a pretty small sample. overall that year he shot like 34%, which is i think more reflective of his shooting. the 28% was early in his career, in the year he played the smallest # of minutes.

grant is still the best overall defender in that group. if he can shoot 3's at 40%, which he's shown stretches to do, i think he's very much in the convo for first PF off the bench.

while shooting pcts matter, but only to a point. I swear Grant Williams gets the most "I dare you to shoot" 3 pointers. I have No faith in him making anything contested. Time will tell what Juancho will do. I also don't see Grant Williams as any major upgrade on defense. He can bang with certain players and plays angles well at times, but big players shoot over him easy inside and fast players beat him off the dribble.

If Parker comes in shape, he may close any gap Grant has on defense. I still have no idea about Juancho.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#758 » by ParticleMan » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:08 am

playa-hater wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

while shooting pcts matter, but only to a point. I swear Grant Williams gets the most "I dare you to shoot" 3 pointers. I have No faith in him making anything contested. Time will tell what Juancho will do. I also don't see Grant Williams as any major upgrade on defense. He can bang with certain players and plays angles well at times, but big players shoot over him easy inside and fast players beat him off the dribble.

If Parker comes in shape, he may close any gap Grant has on defense. I still have no idea about Juancho.

Juancho like Parker is not a good defensive player. I'm going to wait and see how they do in Ime's system but at the moment Grant is *much* better defensively, he can passably defend all 5 spots and is a very intelligent team defender. Grant only shooting wide open 3's is a plus, that's the kind of BBIQ I like. Let Tatum handle the contested 3's. Juancho and Parker are both offensively significantly above Grant, but if Grant can legit shoot over 40% from 3 then his other advantages probably put him in the lead.

In any case it's going to be a very interesting battle that I suspect will play out over the whole year.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#759 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Sep 6, 2021 12:40 pm

Well if you add on the associated luxury tax, Parker costs more than $3M if they keep him. Is that how the franchise wants to spend its money given the number of minutes Parker will actually play?

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#760 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 5:24 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Well if you add on the associated luxury tax, Parker costs more than $3M if they keep him. Is that how the franchise wants to spend its money given the number of minutes Parker will actually play?

If they see any chance he hits his potential, sure why not? I tend to not see that and agree with you, though.

Return to Boston Celtics