Image ImageImage Image

Grade the Chicago Bulls Off-Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

What grade do you give the Chicago Bulls this Off-Season

A
76%
B
23%
C
1%
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 101

ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

Grade the Chicago Bulls Off-Season 

Post#1 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:38 pm

It looks like the roster is all set..finally. What grade do you give them?

PG: Ball, Caruso, Ayo
SG: Lavine, White, Green
SF: Derozan, TBJ, Stanley
PF: Williams, DJJ, Alize
C: Vuc, Bradley, Simonovic

2-way contracts: Dotson and possibly Thomas
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Re: Grade the Chicago Bulls Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:40 pm

Voted A, now let the games begin !!!
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 715

Post#3 » by chicago paxsons » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:55 pm

The alize signing clinched it for me. He's not the more traditional 4/5 i wanted, but brings solid defense and rebounding that we sorely need outside of the center spot.

Also, wasn't matt thomas just a camp invite, not a two-way? Though if he is our two-way, i'm not complaining.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:03 pm

Based on their goals of turning over the roster and moving towards a "win now" team, I can't imagine how they could have added more talent in any reasonable fashion.

I wouldn't have likely chosen this direction, but knowing what direction they were going in, it was very well executed IMO.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ghostinthepost1
Junior
And1: 225

Post#5 » by ghostinthepost1 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:06 pm

I don't know how anyone can give them anything but an A.

The most important part of this offseason was the long term effects. This team might be headed for a 2nd round exit but what's important is the next time some superstar in a small market decided he wants out; the Bulls are on that stupid list of desired teams Woj always breathlessly tweets out.

You don't get on that list by finishing 11th year after year, you gotta get into the play offs and make players around the league think, "hey if you add me to that team we're going to the finals." Combine that we the draw of playing with two very popular young players in Zach + Lonzo and that's how you become a big market team like the Lakers.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#6 » by Dez » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:12 pm

A lot of low risk high reward signings filling out the roster is what I liked.

Alize Johnson could be something very useful.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#7 » by Jvaughn » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:14 pm

The only real gripe I could see from people would either be the cost for DeRozan or the question marks on D. I think BD will be able to put a system in place to make the defense work, so I'm not all that concerned. As for the mortgaging of future capital, outside of the Rose draft, we haven't had the best lottery luck anyway, so I definitely understand going all in now.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,574

Post#8 » by Clocian » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:21 pm

General Board & Experts: F-
Damn I love Hip Hop!
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,600

Post#9 » by jacoby1us » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:29 pm

Clocian wrote:General Board & Experts: F-

If it is not Lebron or KD related they have no faith in it. I believe our front office did an excellent job with the resources they had and with the subpar FA class this summer.

A for me!
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Post#10 » by MGB8 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:31 pm

Overpaid for DeRozan, IMO (both contract and assets); meh on the DJjr. return; think that a 4-5 or 5 would be a much better add as opposed to Stanley Johnson, especially with DJjr, Brown, Green, etc. And not even a huge Lonzo fan.

So can't give a flat out A. But such a huge upgrade over past years....
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#11 » by Pax for Prez » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:34 pm

Roster is overall young. Only 4 players 27 years or older ( Green will mostly be on the bench)

N. Vucevic - 30
D. DeRozan - 32
A. Caruso - 27
J. Green - 28
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#12 » by coldfish » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:38 pm

The Bulls had a plan. Its clear as day:
- Get a coach that the FO could work with
- Evaluate the existing players and roster
- Build a team kind of like Denver but with a twist. Hub center with 4 switchable wings around him.

The Bulls executed that plan superbly. Just absolutely incredible how long sighted and disciplined the FO has been. They are looking for certain player types. They patiently wait but then pounce when one comes available.

If the plan was a good one is yet to be seen but how they executed it really isn't. This wasn't some half measure. This was all in, crossing all the t's and dotting the i's.

I still don't think the Bulls are done. That's why they were so adamant about getting a first for Markkanen. I suspect that they have follow up moves in mind but its clear that as far as phases, phase 2 is now complete.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,793

Post#13 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:51 pm

coldfish wrote:The Bulls had a plan. Its clear as day:
- Get a coach that the FO could work with
- Evaluate the existing players and roster
- Build a team kind of like Denver but with a twist. Hub center with 4 switchable wings around him.

The Bulls executed that plan superbly. Just absolutely incredible how long sighted and disciplined the FO has been. They are looking for certain player types. They patiently wait but then pounce when one comes available.

If the plan was a good one is yet to be seen but how they executed it really isn't. This wasn't some half measure. This was all in, crossing all the t's and dotting the i's.

I still don't think the Bulls are done. That's why they were so adamant about getting a first for Markkanen. I suspect that they have follow up moves in mind but its clear that as far as phases, phase 2 is now complete.

Absolutely agree. As far as executing their vision and plan, they did it to perfection. But with acquiring picks, they clearly want the flexibility of making bigger moves in the future which is what all teams want to do.

I think they are most definitely positioned nicely if a star player were to be available, hell, if a star player were to specifically want to be traded to the Bulls, we now have valuable assets to move, in addition to having some depth to overcome having to move several players to make a potential trade work.
Why so serious?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#14 » by sco » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:52 pm

I can't say AKME's moves scream "contend now". Maybe he didn't see a path to get there this season. He nabbed DDR, who's on the backside of his peak. He got a bunch of the guys at the deadline and offseason that have a similar type (TBJ, Ball, Caruso, DJJ, Bradley and now A Jones) as "guys who flashed potential to assume bigger roles", they all also could be unable to take that step forward and the strategy could backfire. He needs at least 2 of them to take that step for his strategy to be deemed a success IMO, and I think one of those needs to be Ball or Caruso.
:clap:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#15 » by coldfish » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:52 pm

Here is another thing that I think escapes people:
Alize Johnson 25
Lonzo Ball 23
Lavine 26
Williams 20
Brown 22
Caruso 27
White 21
DJJ 24
Green 28
Bradley 23
Ayo 21

Outside of Vuc and DDR, this is a young team but not super young. A lot of these guys are just coming into their prime. I have been following soccer for the past few years and this is big in europe where they target guys to be in their window (age 25-30). I do not doubt that age has been one of the bigger priorities for the team in acquisitions.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,002

Post#16 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

How could it not be an A? We have a top 10 FO as of now.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#17 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:07 am

Don't get the "overpay " on derozan. Imo we simply paid the price for doing business. We lower the cost and assets and right now derozan is playing for Brooklyn or the lakers etc for comparable price we paid what it took in cost and assets for derozan to put us on the top of his list and for the spurs to agree to work with us. We were a team that didn't even make the play in what in the world makes anyone think he was coming here for less? Lol

As far as the size everyone is worried about, we talking about from the bench here lol what tall team in the east do we have to worry about here? Brooklyn is going to kill us with their stars size wasn't changing that most of the other good east teams size is comparable to ours.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
The Senator
Junior
And1: 340

Post#18 » by The Senator » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:10 am

Best Bulls offseason I can remember since the Jordan years and the first time I'd give the FO an unquestioned A since then. They brought in legit scoring threats, multi-positional defenders and put together a team that I'm legitimately excited to watch from day one. There's always the chance it doesn't quite work out, but as it is, this is the best chance the Bulls have had in a long while.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#19 » by FriedRise » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:14 am

A.

We got younger and more athletic!
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#20 » by AKfanatic » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:18 am

I loved the Ball signing, been pretty vocal over a few seasons on trying to bring him to Chicago and really think he’ll not only end up being a fantastic fit, but believe he will thrive with the Bulls. Not a huge fan of the money Derozan got, but like the move. He is a solid vet that should have the respect of Lavine, allowing Zach to much more easily defer at times, and gives the Bulls a second guy that can get buckets. Caruso was a fantastic signing, smart player that doesn’t mind digging in and getting dirty. Given the plan, the Bulls FO deserves high high marks for the execution. Going to be at minimum, a very interesting season for Bulls fans.

Return to Chicago Bulls