ImageImageImageImageImage

Lebron: Raps should retire Derozan’s jersey

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should #10 be retired for the Raptors?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 190

blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Lebron: Raps should retire Derozan’s jersey 

Post#1 » by blastttOFF » Mon Sep 6, 2021 9:59 pm

wayoftheroad
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,808

Re: Lebron: Raps should retire Derozan’s jersey 

Post#2 » by wayoftheroad » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:04 pm

Bring him home
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,470

Post#3 » by PD28 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:07 pm

Well if Lebron says it, it's gotta happen. GTFO lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 943

Post#4 » by raptorforlife88 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:08 pm

I mean this is a pretty easy choice I think. Lowry gets it first but DeRozan absolutely deserves it as well.

Leads them all time in multiple categories. Homegrown star with several all star game, playoff appearances, and all NBA selection. Part of the best stretch in Raptors history.

I know it seems odd to think about, but if he continues to score at the pace he has he'll likely end his career with 22,000-23,000 points which may sneak him into the HOF.
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#5 » by grimlock » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:13 pm

Yes.. Spoiled ass raptors fans need to go back 15 years to remember how crap this team was for so long. DeRozan helped build the culture this team has come to be recognized for.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#6 » by PT416 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:18 pm

Shut up, Lebron. You don't get to choose things for us just because you are our father. We are grown ups now.
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,700

Post#7 » by Qhawe » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:19 pm

He's not wrong.

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
raptoradical
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#8 » by raptoradical » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:29 pm

I guess the question would be, has another NBA franchise ever operated in that manner, rewarding their hard workers just for doing their best? As every player does or should. (And no LeBron just because we are in Canada it make us some sort of an exception.)

Maybe then you can also argue the fact he was our franchise player... but then again he wasn't franchise player caliber. After that then what....
Inevitable wrote:Magic Johnson meets Kawhi meets Giannis.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#9 » by hsb » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:33 pm

I agree with LeBron. Obviously, he will have it retired. DD knows how much the city loves him.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#10 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:34 pm

Kyle is the only one that deserves to get his jersey retired imo. Next on the list is Kawhi. No one else as of yet. If we're going to take championships out of the equation, it cheapens everything and we're back to celebrating Atlantic Division banners again. There are other ways to recognize former Raptor greats that don't include retiring jerseys.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,520

Post#11 » by Jcity08 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:40 pm

grimlock wrote:Yes.. Spoiled ass raptors fans need to go back 15 years to remember how crap this team was for so long. DeRozan helped build the culture this team has come to be recognized for.

That is a low ass bar to get your jersey retired. The best thing he did in his entire career as a Raptor was get traded.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
rapterz_iz_best
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#12 » by rapterz_iz_best » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:44 pm

Retire number - Lowry
Ring of honour (around the ACC above the press boxes) - DeRozan, Kawhi, Carter
Statue - Masai, same stance and location as where he said "eff Brooklyn"
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,595

Post#13 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:52 pm

Why is this an issue now, why is it in the news? Demar has quite a few seasons left to play anyway. And who cares what Lebron thinks
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#14 » by Raps1103 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 10:53 pm

Qhawe wrote:He's not wrong.

Yes, yes he is ! Hell to the No !!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,372

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:18 pm

I certainly wouldn't oppose it. He was far from the greatest Raptor in terms of talent, but we've never had a player embrace the city like he did.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,922

Post#16 » by Reeko » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:20 pm

Yes, absolutely. For some odd reason there are posters here who think that we would somehow be lowering the bar if we retired DeMar's number, we wouldn't be. Just take a look at some of the players who have had their jerseys retired.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_numbers
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,236

Post#17 » by rapstarter » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:28 pm

Reeko wrote:Yes, absolutely. For some odd reason there are posters here who think that we would somehow be lowering the bar if we retired DeMar's number, we wouldn't be. Just take a look at some of the players who have had their jerseys retired.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_retired_numbers

There are definitely a few teams who are treating it like a joke, but for the most part, it does look like we would be lowering our bar. What hurts DeMar is that he had to be carried by his teammates in so many of the playoffs series he played in, and his replacement won us the championship right after he left. He's too closely associated with failure and disappointment which he directly contributed in.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,738

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:39 pm

100% it gets retried eventually. and second behind Lowry.
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#19 » by JJ From Deep » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:45 pm

If Derozan comes back and helps us win a championship...then yes we should absolutely retire his jersey. Anything short of that, no. I'm sorry but there needs to be a certain standard here for that type of commemoration.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,922

Post#20 » by Reeko » Tue Sep 7, 2021 12:02 am

rapstarter wrote:
Reeko wrote:Yes, absolutely. For some odd reason there are posters here who think that we would somehow be lowering the bar if we retired DeMar's number, we wouldn't be. Just take a look at some of the players who have had their jerseys retired.

There are definitely a few teams who are treating it like a joke, but for the most part, it does look like we would be lowering our bar. What hurts DeMar is that he had to be carried by his teammates in so many of the playoffs series he played in, and his replacement won us the championship right after he left. He's too closely associated with failure and disappointment which he directly contributed in.

Take a good look at that list and tell me how many teams haven't retired the number of a player that helped them get to the Conference Finals but failed to get them to the Finals and/or win a championship. Not many. We aren't the Celtics or the Lakers who have had so many great players and won so many championships, that we can be dismissive of a guy who played an enormous part in turning this franchise around and holds several franchise records.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to Toronto Raptors