Paschall to Utah per Woj

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: Paschall to Utah per Woj 

Post#41 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Sep 6, 2021 3:50 pm

TB above me nailed Paschall in a few sentences. He's a good guy and seems to be a hard worker, but he's very limited. Rebounding is one of the most stable and predictable stats from college to the NBA and guess what? Paschall didn't rebound in college and he doesn't rebound in the NBA. That's quite frustrating, especially when you realize how strong Paschall is and how easily he can bully defenders under the basket. I thought Paschall showed some improvement as an on-ball defender last year. He should improve on that, considering he's strong as hell and is pretty agile laterally. But he still is pretty bad as off-ball defender and his limitations on that end of the court combined with his disinterest in rebounding really limit his ceiling.

With that said, Paschall can absolutely be a useful 10-15 bench scorer at the 5. If you have shooting and rebounding around him, you can put the ball in Paschall's hands and let him take guys 1v1 and he has shown the ability make nice reads as a passer.

I wrote about Paschall's season at length on my Substack, which I'll link to here if anyone wants to look at Paschall's shot charts and lineup stats.

https://kellyroldan.substack.com/p/warriors-season-in-review-the-bigs

The short of it is that Paschall went from being a borderline elite finisher in his rookie year to a mediocre one this last season. Injuries played a role in that, to be sure. But I think spacing did too. Paschall shot over 50% on pull-up 2P FGA this season and increased his mid-range FG% by 6 points to 49.4%. On a lower volume than I would have liked, Paschall also increased his 3P% to 33.3. That's still not great, but there's a few indicators there that Paschall worked on his shooting and that his touch was improved from his rookie season, but his effectiveness around the rim plummeted.

To that point, Paschall played a significant amount of his minutes in bench lineups with atrocious spacing. Brad Wanamaker is all over Paschall's lineup numbers. That sucks. It also sucks for your second most played lineup on the season to be Wanamaker/Damion Lee/Kelly Oubre/Andrew Wiggins/Paschall.

I think if Paschall is healthy, he could be useful in Utah. I suspect he'll be just good enough to piss off a bunch of Warriors fans because of how tolerable he looks in Utah. Anywho, hope you enjoy Paschall. He seems like a good kid, it's not entirely his fault it didn't work out in Golden State.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#42 » by tugs » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:07 pm

Very nice breakdown. I do believe with the solid bench roster for Utah, he can flourish. Strictly going with bench lineup we're looking at:

Ingles/Clarkson/Oni/Gay/Paschall

Playmaking plus outside shooting should be better with the Dubs bench personnel for sure. He can play the Magette role. Him and Gay (to an extent, Clarkson), have all the space they need to operate in the midrange. Not too confident with second chance opportunities though.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#43 » by Catchall » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:32 am

The Jazz have done well picking up guys like Ingles, O'Neale and Niang and developing them into rotational players, even starters. I'm optimistic that the the Jazz can develop Paschall and put him in a position to succeed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#44 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:59 pm

I think turning Paschall in to a credible small ball center may be a long process, and hope Gay is back sooner rather than later to fill that role when we need it. I am excited, however, to see Paschall get some early season rotation minutes at power forward.

Somebody I read or listened to recently (David Locke?) mentioned that Paschall makes a big exaggerated jump on his three point shots, and that the unnecessary movement lessens the chances of them going in. After watching the last game, I agree that could be a concern. The person also mentioned that if Paschall is playing small ball, pick n roll center, the location of his three point attempts may be more likely to be at the more difficult, longer outside threes rather than corner threes. Paschall had a decent three point percentage at corner threes last season --- 36.4%. Go Jazz!
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#45 » by tugs » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:01 pm

Yeah it was Locke. That height is not sustainable but I think he can figure it out and find a middle ground for his threes. Hey who know maybe Ray Allen-esque lol
Catchall
RealGM

Post#46 » by Catchall » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:55 pm

I think he should probably play at the 4 and shoot from the corners. I don't think he rebounds well enough to play at the 5.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#47 » by babyjax13 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 am

I like him, he has good chemistry with that second unit. The fact we are playing without a rotation player is pretty scary, because Butler and Paschall, and to a lesser extent, Hughes and Dok, all look pretty legitimate. Butler is probably a fine 8th man now, and all of them are good as a 9th man.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#48 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:55 am

Paschall does have some physical presence and toughness that I think adds something to the Jazz. He also had plays where he defended against Jrue, Giannis and Middleton, and he did okay. He's someone who could grow in a role, like a young Millsap.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz