Image ImageImage Image

Grade the Chicago Bulls Off-Season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

What grade do you give the Chicago Bulls this Off-Season

A
76%
B
23%
C
1%
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 101

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Re: Grade the Chicago Bulls Off-Season 

Post#41 » by DuckIII » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:37 pm

jStuNNa wrote:B-

Didn't secure Zach or acquire a legitimate star player. It's possible Zach leaves next season and this team is stuck with a bunch of mediocre and/or developing players.

That being said, the Bulls acquired very good complimentary pieces to surround Zach with, if the plan is to indeed build around him. Let's hope it all works out and he stays... And that Zach proves he's the type of player you can build a winning team around.

Zach can’t sign his full value extension until next summer. As I recall, the only way to have extended him this summer would have made it impossible to sign Ball and Caruso.

There’s really now doubt the Bulls and Zach discussed all this agreed to let them spend elsewhere now so that when they max him next summer he gets his full value along with much better teammates.

This was all worked out ahead of time.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#42 » by jStuNNa » Tue Sep 7, 2021 1:55 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Didn't secure Zach or acquire a legitimate star player. It's possible Zach leaves next season and this team is stuck with a bunch of mediocre and/or developing players.

That being said, the Bulls acquired very good complimentary pieces to surround Zach with, if the plan is to indeed build around him. Let's hope it all works out and he stays... And that Zach proves he's the type of player you can build a winning team around.

Zach can’t sign his full value extension until next summer. As I recall, the only way to have extended him this summer would have made it impossible to sign Ball and Caruso.

There’s really now doubt the Bulls and Zach discussed all this agreed to let them spend elsewhere now so that when they max him next summer he gets his full value along with much better teammates.

Maybe that was all worked out, but we don't know that. Even if it was, Zach has a new agency with new ideas and opinions. Whatever was discussed previously doesn't hold as much weight now.

Maybe Zach would have signed for lesser value now rather than risk something going wrong this season.

And yes, it would have prevented some of these signings, but like I said, none of these guys are legitimate stars anyways.

Don't get me wrong! I'm really excited about this team. I'm just being honest... Your best player is a UFA next summer and you don't have a second star to pair with him.

That's not an A off-season compared to what we've seen some teams do over the years.

The Lakers signing LeBron... The Nets signing KD and Kyrie... The Bucks re-signing Giannis and trading for Holiday... Those are A off-seasons.
nanokooshball
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#43 » by nanokooshball » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:29 pm

The Senator wrote:Best Bulls offseason I can remember since the Jordan years and the first time I'd give the FO an unquestioned A since then. They brought in legit scoring threats, multi-positional defenders and put together a team that I'm legitimately excited to watch from day one. There's always the chance it doesn't quite work out, but as it is, this is the best chance the Bulls have had in a long while.

I thought the 2010 offseason was also an A. Yes, they missed out on Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. but they already had colluded to play together... nothing was going to change that. Pax even moved salary to do so (dumping Hinrich)

But, they brought in Boozer, Korver, Brewer, CJ Watson, drafted Asik and also had a good vision for the team, and executed it well.
The bench mob was incredible that year.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#44 » by FriedRise » Tue Sep 7, 2021 2:42 pm

The crazy thing is we're by no means locked into this roster. After what I saw AKME & JJ did this offseason with the type of assets they HAD, I have no doubt they can do even more with who they got now. If this thing goes sideways, we can still make moves to improve/fill in holes. If we don't get hit too much by the tampering investigation, that's another asset we can use to improve. As a side note, I do think the tampering investigation did play a role in us being firm with the return for Lauri (picks), or otherwise Nance would've been here.

Hell, we can even recoup all our picks we've traded away and maybe get even more if they decide to hit the reset button (which I highly doubt is ever happening). Maybe if Zach leaves, but I don't see that happening either. Everything is an asset, and we don't have any bad/long term contracts we can't move. We don't have a 35-year old Wade or Jabari Parker taking up 20M per or Felicio with his 4/32M that we're gonna be stuck with.
Rowland Garrett
Senior
And1: 489

Post#45 » by Rowland Garrett » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:04 pm

FriedRise wrote:The crazy thing is we're by no means locked into this roster. After what I saw AKME & JJ did this offseason with the type of assets they HAD, I have no doubt they can do even more with who they got now. If this thing goes sideways, we can still make moves to improve/fill in holes. If we don't get hit too much by the tampering investigation, that's another asset we can use to improve. As a side note, I do think the tampering investigation did play a role in us being firm with the return for Lauri (picks), or otherwise Nance would've been here.

Hell, we can even recoup all our picks we've traded away and maybe get even more if they decide to hit the reset button (which I highly doubt is ever happening). Maybe if Zach leaves, but I don't see that happening either. Everything is an asset, and we don't have any bad/long term contracts we can't move. We don't have a 35-year old Wade or Jabari Parker taking up 20M per or Felicio with his 4/32M that we're gonna be stuck with.

I and 1 your post. But I have to say it's AK & MEJJ. Karnisovas is the udisputed boss!
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#46 » by DuckIII » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:13 pm

jStuNNa wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Maybe that was all worked out, but we don't know that. Even if it was, Zach has a new agency with new ideas and opinions. Whatever was discussed previously doesn't hold as much weight now.

Maybe Zach would have signed for lesser value now rather than risk something going wrong this season.

And yes, it would have prevented some of these signings, but like I said, none of these guys are legitimate stars anyways.

Don't get me wrong! I'm really excited about this team. I'm just being honest... Your best player is a UFA next summer and you don't have a second star to pair with him.

That's not an A off-season compared to what we've seen some teams do over the years.

The Lakers signing LeBron... The Nets signing KD and Kyrie... The Bucks re-signing Giannis and trading for Holiday... Those are A off-seasons.

My post says put into context it’s an A. Obviously there have been elite, dynasty building off seasons and this is not that. But it’s kind of pointless to issue a grade without regard to context.

Your other stuff about Lavine, sure we don’t “know” but considering we absolutely do know Zach recruited Ball and DDR, it’s about as obvious as an unknown thing can possibly be.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
And1: 548

Post#47 » by jStuNNa » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:35 pm

DuckIII wrote:
jStuNNa wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

My post says put into context it’s an A. Obviously there have been elite, dynasty building off seasons and this is not that. But it’s kind of pointless to issue a grade without regard to context.

Your other stuff about Lavine, sure we don’t “know” but considering we absolutely do know Zach recruited Ball and DDR, it’s about as obvious as an unknown thing can possibly be.

Putting it into context is just another way of making excuses for an NBA front office. At the end of the day, you're trying to win championships at this level. Moves that make you contender deserve an A. Anything less is a nice try but destined to be looked past eventually.

Yes, I'm a demanding SOB lol

My thing with Zach is, a new agency brings new perspective, opinions, and ideas. All of those things mean new options for Zach... Options that perhaps weren't as apparent this off-season for Zach.

Again... I think the moves the Bulls made were awesome. I am counting down every single day until that first preseason game. We have so many new players to be excited about and a real chance to make the playoffs and surprise some people.

But I'm holding firm... B- lol
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#48 » by FriedRise » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:45 pm

Clocian wrote:General Board & Experts: F-

It seems to me that whenever somebody gives an F, it's always about attaching the first rounder to the DeRozan sign and trade. But people are also forgetting that we were able to get out of Aminu's 10M contract with likely more flexibility on who we send out vs giving in to what San Antonio wanted. No chance in hell SA would agree to do that without the incentive, and I don't believe we had the room to sign DDR out right.

Nothing is free, you gotta pay to get people to do what you need them to do.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#49 » by Hangtime84 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:51 pm

A+

Incredible turn around
Zo been rumored here since his LA days
DDR was the major surprise for me
AC is going to be the big surprised for some this year as he will have an increased role
Flipping Lauri for an asset rather than Lauri / Lonzo for swap was incredible to me

I hope with many of these offensively capable players defensive efforts by those known liabilities will increase.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Rowland Garrett
Senior
And1: 489

Post#50 » by Rowland Garrett » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:07 pm

jStuNNa wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
jStuNNa wrote:

Putting it into context is just another way of making excuses for an NBA front office. At the end of the day, you're trying to win championships at this level. Moves that make you contender deserve an A. Anything less is a nice try but destined to be looked past eventually.

Yes, I'm a demanding SOB lol

My thing with Zach is, a new agency brings new perspective, opinions, and ideas. All of those things mean new options for Zach... Options that perhaps weren't as apparent this off-season for Zach.

Again... I think the moves the Bulls made were awesome. I am counting down every single day until that first preseason game. We have so many new players to be excited about and a real chance to make the playoffs and surprise some people.

But I'm holding firm... B- lol

If you manage to take a bunch of chicken feathers and make a gourmet chicken dinner for four (What AK did) is beyond belief really.

If you've got $100,000 in cash to buy any ingredients you want and come up with a 3 Star Michelin Wagyu Rib Eye steak dinner is, although the better meal, not as difficult. (What Riley, Lebron, Wade, and Bosh did.)

I agree the Bulls are not likely to win it all this year. What AK di with what he had Is astounding. A+++++
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#51 » by kodo » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:55 pm

FriedRise wrote:

It seems to me that whenever somebody gives an F, it's always about attaching the first rounder to the DeRozan sign and trade. But people are also forgetting that we were able to get out of Aminu's 10M contract with likely more flexibility on who we send out vs giving in to what San Antonio wanted. No chance in hell SA would agree to do that without the incentive, and I don't believe we had the room to sign DDR out right.

Nobody gave us an F. Even the negative takes are about the Bulls not being contenders on the level of MIlwaukee and Brooklyn, well no kidding.

It's basically consensus that the Bulls are a 2nd tier playoff team now. But some people firmly believe if you are not a contender, you need to be tanking like the Hinkie era 10 win Sixers. That outdated mode of thinking is what drives any negativity. And why journalists don't have actual jobs in the NBA.
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 885

Post#52 » by HearshotKDS » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:09 pm

I voted B+ for most of the reasons people have already written in here - only thing preventing an A was not getting Nance Jr. in the DJJ trade.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#53 » by sco » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:57 pm

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the decision that I question was Caruso vs. the opportunity cost of keeping Theis. I think Caruso is the better player of the two, but I think we could have found a slightly less productive PG for the min (like Avery Bradley or Mike James or maybe Rondo). I think that decision led to us loading up on lesser forwards (like I do on my fantasy team when I have a hole that I feel like I missed).
:clap:
NocioniHomie
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#54 » by NocioniHomie » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:05 pm

sco wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the decision that I question was Caruso vs. the opportunity cost of keeping Theis. I think Caruso is the better player of the two, but I think we could have found a slightly less productive PG for the min (like Avery Bradley or Mike James or maybe Rondo). I think that decision led to us loading up on lesser forwards (like I do on my fantasy team when I have a hole that I feel like I missed).

Retaining Theis would've been incredible. I still think we might deal for him again at deadline, or use new flexibility to acquire similar player profile/salary
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#55 » by gobullschi » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:12 pm

FriedRise wrote:

Everyone understands that. Given how much control DeRozan had in this scenario, including a 1st seemed like overkill. Multiple 2nd Round draft picks should have been enough. Thaddeus Young was viewed as a positive trade asset and Aminu was an expiring contract (which can be valuable for a rebuilding team).

It shouldn’t move the grade to an F though. That’s an over reaction, which is typical in today’s media.
_KYUSS_
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#56 » by _KYUSS_ » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:21 pm

jStuNNa wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

we definitely know that, and we also kno that klutch-rich paul has teamed up with AKME to overtake Chicago. they tampered together in order to force one of paul's most popular and well known clients into Chicago and then proceeded to sign chicago's premier player a few wks later. and if you look at the Klutch posts about the Zach Lavine signing, the Bulls branding is front and centre. it looks like more of a Bulls advertisement than a klutch or Zach LaVine advertisement. the whole point of klutch signing him and getting Lonzo Ball into Chicago was premeditated, hence the tampering violation. klutch is clearly planning on gaining a foothold in the nba's biggest market and has been given the go ahead to do so by AKME.

also vooch and DDR are def legitimate stars. DDR is former all-NBA and multiple time all star.
_KYUSS_
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#57 » by _KYUSS_ » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:27 pm

one thing i want to point out is that with all of this talk about how AKME are building around Zach LaVine, honestly given the moves they have made and the players acquired, it seems to me like they are really building around Lonzo Ball.

this team seems tailormade to him and his strengths. i am personally thrilled by this as i see Ball as a premier star just waiting to break out with the right pieces around him and coaching staff. he has only played for ill-fitting rostres and horrific coaching staffs during his time in the league.

in that DDR interview with arenas he echoed the same sentiments, that one of the reasons he was attracted to chicago was the fact that they invested heavily into Ball, whom he views as a star facilitator just waiting to break out in the right setting.

we are going to see a different beast in Ball this season i think. i watched some NOLA last season and was disgusted when SVG stripped Ball of his primary facilitator role and made him 3nD exclusively. he is capable of so much more than that, just needed to get healthy, get reps in, and have the right pieces around him to run with.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#58 » by sco » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:38 pm

_KYUSS_ wrote:one thing i want to point out is that with all of this talk about how AKME are building around Zach LaVine, honestly given the moves they have made and the players acquired, it seems to me like they are really building around Lonzo Ball.

this team seems tailormade to him and his strengths. i am personally thrilled by this as i see Ball as a premier star just waiting to break out with the right pieces around him and coaching staff. he has only played for ill-fitting rostres and horrific coaching staffs during his time in the league.

in that DDR interview with arenas he echoed the same sentiments, that one of the reasons he was attracted to chicago was the fact that they invested heavily into Ball, whom he views as a star facilitator just waiting to break out in the right setting.

we are going to see a different beast in Ball this season i think. i watched some NOLA last season and was disgusted when SVG stripped Ball of his primary facilitator role and made him 3nD exclusively. he is capable of so much more than that, just needed to get healthy, get reps in, and have the right pieces around him to run with.

I think that AKME is looking at the core of Ball, Zach and Pat. I have little doubt that Zach will continue to improve, because he's just one of those kind of guys. Ball has shown a similar ability to improve his game, but he's got a ways to go before he's a championship level PG. Pat has the tools, but there have been a ton of guys with tools who never amounted to be JAG's. He'll improve the next couple years, just with learning curve, but that's not going to make him a star, just an above average starter.
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Post#59 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:41 pm

Wait the General Board has an opinion? I thought that board was reversed for Lebron is the GOAT or Lebron is LeBum threads only
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#60 » by Dresden » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:46 pm

From what I've read and heard on a national level, the consensus seems to be around a C. They were very active, but a lot of question marks about how the team will fit together, esp. on D, and they still have no super star.

Personally, I love what they did. They were active, and they brought in some bona fide talent, even if not superstars. Most of all, they dramatically changed the direction of the team, and signalled that they aren't afraid to make changes. I like seeing that from a FO, rather than the patient," let's wait until we see what we've got" approach of Paxson for so many years. Plus we are finally moving to a much more athletic roster, another big plus.

Return to Chicago Bulls