Welcome Paul Reed

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Re: Welcome Paul Reed 

Post#241 » by TTP » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:08 am

youngcrev wrote:
It's not that Im doubting him, I'm just doubting that his value jumped from 58th pick to 1st rounder based on promising play during summer league and the G league season. I'm also not implying the kids coming into the draft have more experience, just simply stating that his particular successes so far haven't come at the NBA level.

I don't think the value difference between the 58th pick and the 30th pick is very substantial for a number of reasons. You can basically buy into the top of the 2nd with cash and/or very marginal assets.

Also, I could be mistaken but I think it's pretty common for 2nd round picks to somewhat choose their destination with pre-arranged deals, so where the player was picked is often just based on where that team had an available pick to use. This is due to the additional contract flexibility players and teams have in negotiations with 2nd round picks compared to 1st rounders. It was likely the case for us with Isaiah Joe. I'm not sure if there was anything pre-arranged with Reed.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#242 » by DCasey91 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:31 am

Reed is still a bit too spazzy for my taste and the fit is still awkward at best (Embiid + Harris + Ben is just awkward in general lol).

Wait and see for me. He should get playing time though Niang is ahead because of the legitimate stretch tangibles.

Reed is a 4 and that’s it and def not a small ball center.

A More mobile Holmes with better defense and a range shot but less touch (Holmes had the best hands that we ever had during this Embiid/Ben era) would be a lovely outcome imo.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#243 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:44 am

He's a 4 all day in my opinion. I want to see how he does against bigger, more athletic, more physical competition. As of right now, he's still a project player. So was Christian Wood and I hate that we didn't hold onto that guy. What a problem he's become in the league. Reed has the same trajectory, but he's going to need time, patience, and playing time to get there. It would break my heart to see us trade him. We need to keep this young core together. They're a lot better than given credit for. It'll pay off with these guys if we just stay the course.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#244 » by youngcrev » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:47 am

TTP wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
It's not that Im doubting him, I'm just doubting that his value jumped from 58th pick to 1st rounder based on promising play during summer league and the G league season. I'm also not implying the kids coming into the draft have more experience, just simply stating that his particular successes so far haven't come at the NBA level.

I don't think the value difference between the 58th pick and the 30th pick is very substantial for a number of reasons. You can basically buy into the top of the 2nd with cash and/or very marginal assets.

Also, I could be mistaken but I think it's pretty common for 2nd round picks to somewhat choose their destination with pre-arranged deals, so where the player was picked is often just based on where that team had an available pick to use. This is due to the additional contract flexibility players and teams have in negotiations with 2nd round picks compared to 1st rounders. It was likely the case for us with Isaiah Joe. I'm not sure if there was anything pre-arranged with Reed.

I think the value difference between the 30th pick and the 58th pick is... The 30th pick and some cash.

Regardless, the question wasn't matter of whether he's more valuable than the type of player typically drafted at 30, or where he'd go in a redraft type situation, but rather what level 1st another team would be willing to give up for him at this stage. And I simply can't see a team giving up their 1st round pick for him right now.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#245 » by Madd Squabbles » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:47 am

Tomjas wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
Easy mid first

How many guys have dominated G league and summer league?

If Doc doesn’t at least give him time to see what he’s got then that’ll be really disappointing

Personally, I think he has physical limitations to be a C that plays big minutes. Its something Noel also suffers with. He’s neither long enough or strong enough.

Im not saying he’s not a good player. I think he is. But there are just some match-ups where I think he is not playable. Its just what it is rather than something Reed is at fault is. Even Gobert is not playable on some match-ups.

This is why if you dont have an Embiid, you need to have around 2 kinds of big. One is a big guy like Boban, another is more of a small ball type C like Kleber.

But this all could change. I dont know how good Reed could become.

He’s not a “big”

More comparable to Wood and Collins in body type

Wood and Colins are bigs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#246 » by 76ciology » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:47 am

I dont think Paul Reed’s movement is unorthodox that made him undervalued

His issue is his physique. Kind of Rachaun Holmes’ issue is.

Where he can’t get good position or get “bodied” around when he faces strong bigs like D12, Biid, Jokic and etc. While he doesnt have the length to compensate for it unlike how Claxton (nets) or jarett allen does. That’s what I saw when he played for us last season, but I dont know if he has improved on this issue.

Rachaun Holmes works for the Sac because they are playing garbage basketball where they can trade baskets. But Holmes will be unplayable as a starting C for a team looking to win the championship. Specially if they face the top bigs like Jokic or Biid in a 7 game series.

Reed is perfect if he plays with a stretch 5, with star scorers at the PG,SG and SF positions. A real life example was the 2018-2019 Raps where he plays Siakam’s role with Marc Gasol at C, Kawhi at SF, Lowry and FVV at PG and SG.

This is kind of why i was hoping Petrusev would jack up volume of 3s, so I can see how Reed would look on this set-up in SL.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#247 » by blargh » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:03 am

76ciology wrote:I dont think Paul Reed’s movement is unorthodox that made him undervalued

His issue is his physique. Kind of Rachaun Holmes’ issue is.

Where he can’t get good position or get “bodied” around when he faces strong bigs like D12, Biid, Jokic and etc. While he doesnt have the length to compensate for it unlike how Claxton (nets) or jarett allen does. That’s what I saw when he played for us last season, but I dont know if he has improved on this issue.

Rachaun Holmes works for the Sac because they are playing garbage basketball where they can trade baskets. But Holmes will be unplayable as a starting C for a team looking to win the championship. Specially if they face the top bigs like Jokic or Biid in a 7 game series.

How many teams are really built to take advantage of his size though? He doesn’t have to guard Biid (except in practice). I’m not sweating the handful of games we play the Nuggets. I think he can be used at both big positions against most modern lineups.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#248 » by Skates » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:01 am

A lot of the guys people are comparing Reed to are starters for their respective teams, at this point we are looking for him to develop from end of the bench favorite and G-League phenom to being a viable second team player by the end of this year, a growth year for him. His stats were almost Thybulle-esque for stocks in college and he has some offensive skill. Definitely will need to be matched with the right on court partners, but a skilled energy guy is really valuable as a 4-5 hybrid playing other bench units. Like everyone Morey seems to draft, work ethic is way better than solid. I like his future as an important bench piece and his draft slot stopped mattering the day after the draft.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#249 » by Foshan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:40 am

Maybe he would fit better at the 5 with Ben. Howard didn't work at all... maybe Reed being a rolling/dunking big will fit better.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#250 » by Foshan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:40 am

Maybe he would fit better at the 5 with Ben. Howard didn't work at all... maybe Reed being a rolling/dunking big will fit better.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#251 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:26 am

Foshan wrote:Maybe he would fit better at the 5 with Ben. Howard didn't work at all... maybe Reed being a rolling/dunking big will fit better.

Yup. Im thinking that Ben pairs with Biid, when biid is available. If biid is not available then we start Reed and pair Ben with Reed
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#252 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Reed makes Tobias expendable. Love it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Mon Sep 6, 2021 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Unlike Ben, this has got to be legit

No way you can fake making jumpers when you have to jump 180 twice on clockwise and counterclockwise direction before making jumpers.

Reminded me of this

TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#254 » by TTP » Mon Sep 6, 2021 7:08 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

No way you can fake making jumpers when you have to jump 180 twice on clockwise and counterclockwise direction before making jumpers.

Reminded me of this

What I really like about Reed is that he's kind of good at a lot of things, so there's a lot of projectable growth. I'm not worried about his weird shot either - plenty of guys have had weird shots and turned into effective role players. It's more about getting comfortable and he seems to make it work. Nice to see him working on his handling so he can add to his off the dribble game.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#255 » by Kobblehead » Mon Sep 6, 2021 7:31 pm

Unpopular take, not sure I want Paul Reed devoting so much time improving his handle. When would I ever want Paul Reed on the ball? I want him setting screens, rolling to the basket, and hitting corner threes all while rebounding and playing awesome defense.

Paul Reed being in my creation core and attempting high post isolations is the last thing I'd want.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers

Post#256 » by Foshan » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:00 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Unpopular take, not sure I want Paul Reed devoting so much time improving his handle. When would I ever want Paul Reed on the ball? I want him setting screens, rolling to the basket, and hitting corner threes all while rebounding and playing awesome defense.

Paul Reed being in my creation core and attempting high post isolations is the last thing I'd want.

I think there is a lot to be said for just confidence in your handle making other aspects easier. So I’m cool with him working on it, though I 100% agree I’d rather almost never see it in a game
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#257 » by Monix » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:23 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Unpopular take, not sure I want Paul Reed devoting so much time improving his handle. When would I ever want Paul Reed on the ball? I want him setting screens, rolling to the basket, and hitting corner threes all while rebounding and playing awesome defense.

the video is only 57 seconds long...relax
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,750

Post#258 » by Stanford » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:38 pm

Totally appropriate that bball is practicing wing skills
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#259 » by Kobblehead » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:50 pm

Monix wrote:

the video is only 57 seconds long...relax

Just wait until the extended edition, director's cut comes out on 4k. You'll be singing a different tune then.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,726

Post#260 » by HotelVitale » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:22 am

TTP wrote:
76ciology wrote:[
Reminded me of this

What I really like about Reed is that he's kind of good at a lot of things, so there's a lot of projectable growth. I'm not worried about his weird shot either - plenty of guys have had weird shots and turned into effective role players. It's more about getting comfortable and he seems to make it work. Nice to see him working on his handling so he can add to his off the dribble game.

I agree, and in any case being a solid athlete who's competent at many things is the best path to sticking in the NBA. If Reed can shoot some, attack closeouts or take a lane when one arises, make the right pass, and set a decent screen he's got a good chance of being something, even if he doesn't become a super-standout at the things he did well in the G-league (and I kinda doubt he will).

But man the form on those pull-ups is stressful. It looks like he jumps forward, then halfway through remembers there's a ball involved so flings it up and out while on the way down.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers