ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:28 am

I figure we need a place for this outside of the coaching search thread.

Welcome home to Wes Unseld Jr.

One thing I like about his coaching philosophy is that he likes to find the strengths of each individual player, then maximize that on court. We have seen coaches before trying to mash a player into a role that does not fit. Why do that? They made it to the league due to their talents, not due to whatever you think they are supposed to be. Take what they do among the best in the world, among the top 450 players in the world, and let them do what they have to do to succeed.
doclinkin
RealGM

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr, thread. 

Post#2 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:30 am

Footage of Wes waaay back in the day working with Tuff Juice, Caron Butler, one of my favorite Wizards ever.

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,972

Post#3 » by dckingsfan » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:22 pm

Man, I hope he lives up to this!!

To sum it up, Wes Unseld Jr. is an outstanding communicator, a relentless worker, and someone who has worked in many different situations and has a fine understanding of the modern game. Sounds like a pretty good choice, if you ask me. Especially for a franchise that will need to face the music at some point and undergo a transitionary phase (i.e. a rebuild).

https://wizofawes.com/2021/07/20/what-can-wizards-fans-expect-from-wes-unseld-jr/
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#4 » by 80sballboy » Mon Aug 9, 2021 8:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#5 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#6 » by keynote » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:20 am

I had assumed that Wes would hire a former head coach to serve as a consigliere on the bench. So far, he's focused on assistants (although Mike Miller had a cup of coffee as interim HC in NY).
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 7, 2021 3:23 pm

In my daydreams I occasionally picture Wes bringing back Hibachi as an assistant coach or consultant. Probably only the Son of Wes would have the gravitas and respect to be able to bring back the clown prince/East Coast Assassin. I like the various quotes though on the relationship between the two:

"The thing I liked about Wes is he's even-keeled. Never got too high, never got too low. Very good guy. Got along with all the players and that was unique at that time because in that locker room, some guys were vibing with the coaching staff and some guys weren't. Wes was the guy that got along with everybody no matter what," Haywood recalled.

"You've gotta be able to communicate and I think that's going to be a strongpoint for Wes. He's going to be able to talk to Bradley Beal, he's going to be able to talk to Russell Westbrook. This is a guy who had to talk to Gilbert Arenas and, you know, Gilbert could be nuts sometimes. He just understands how to communicate and Wes is never going to B.S. you. Players can smell that."

"The thing I liked about Wes is he's even-keeled. Never got too high, never got too low. Very good guy. Got along with all the players and that was unique at that time because in that locker room, some guys were vibing with the coaching staff and some guys weren't. Wes was the guy that got along with everybody no matter what," Haywood recalled.

"You've gotta be able to communicate and I think that's going to be a strongpoint for Wes. He's going to be able to talk to Bradley Beal, he's going to be able to talk to Russell Westbrook. This is a guy who had to talk to Gilbert Arenas and, you know, Gilbert could be nuts sometimes. He just understands how to communicate and Wes is never going to B.S. you. Players can smell that."

Jared Jeffries too remembers a tenuous locker room in Washington that Unseld Jr. was especially adept at navigating.

"Whenever Gilbert would go to being Gilbert, it was really Wes, man. It was Wes who would kind of like 'Come on, Gil. Put this together, listen here.' I think he really embraced that role," Jeffries said.

"He was very, very close with Gil. He was close [with] everyone. Some of the frustrations that all players have, he was very good at talking guys off the ledge.

On the topic of basketball, Gilbert is still one of the more insightful and incisive minds among all former players. His No Chill with Gil youtube channel always brings insight and intelligence to the conversation. As a coach I think having made dumb mistakes he is one who can see nonsense coming and provide a living example of "don't do what I did". Sometimes you learn better from one who has been there. He's the first to point out his own flaws (zero commitment to defense, allowing young players to see his shenanigans but not his insane off-hours work ethic, etc).

Anyway, Agent Zero will always be my guy. Favorite Wizard. It would make me happy to see him allowed back in the building and treated well by the franchise. Hiring Wes made it a half notch more possible.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:48 am

Ha! To that point:

46:51 Gil gives the rundown on both Tommy and Wes. He clearly has love for Tommy, kept him in town and paid when he was on the team; and pays major respect to Wes.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#9 » by badinage » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:27 am

Gilbert, man. Just watching this clip reminds me how refreshing he is and was — how authentic, how funny, how warm, how lovable. *

If you’re reading this by any chance, Gil —

Know that there are those of us who LOVE you, and all that you were and are. All that you brought this franchise.

You remain my favorite player ever to put on the uniform.

And in this era? Sheeyit, you would’ve led the league in scoring every got dxmn year. No doubt about that. And scattered joy dust all over the arena every night.

* And classy. This team tried to run him out of the league, and all he does in this clip is praise Tommy and Wes and Ted. That takes a lot of courage and humility.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#10 » by doclinkin » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:32 am

Yes! They are keeping the Godfather, Dr Dean:

Unseld has kept Ryan Richmond and Dean Oliver as assistant coaches for next season.

That's a good thing. He and Wes will research the helloutta the game together.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:00 pm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 pm

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#13 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#14 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:30 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Love it!! Great 1st game, like the style of play and the tone that was set tonight.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#15 » by Frichuela » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Love it!! Great 1st game, like the style of play and the tone that was set tonight.

Hear hear! Open the Bubbly: Brooks is gone :nod:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:45 am

Defense! Defense! Defense!

Offensively, I'd like the ball movement to be there for 4 quarters; not 3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#17 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:Defense! Defense! Defense!

Offensively, I'd like the ball movement to be there for 4 quarters; not 3.

True, however Nick Nurse makes adjustments and his team can take up all the passing lanes. We just don't have ballhandlers who can break pressure. We will need player movement to get them open. Dribble hand offs instead of passes that get picked out of the air by their squad of interceptor players. That sort of thing coaches can work with and adjust. But credit the Raptors for doing the thing they do well, they harassed the Wiz into 15 forced turnovers.
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#18 » by JAR69 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:15 am

What would our record be if Brooks was our coach? 1-3 at best?

Wes has been excellent so far. I love the defensive intensity and actual scheming. Who knew that was possible? The offense remains a work in progress. That may have more to do with personel and personalities than Xs and Os. (Cough, Brad.) I'm hopeful that as the players get to know each other and the offense better, and the coaching staff learns what works and what doesn't from game results, it will become more efficient and consistent.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#20 » by Dolevi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:44 pm

Suddenly Bertans looks like a great defender. Everyone put an extra effort in D and the chemistry there is better. Besides that, the vibes in the locker room and the bench are good, players are smiling. The coach also cares a lot about improving the young players and gives them confidence. The rotations are good and clear for everyone. Looking good. A coached team.

Return to Washington Wizards