ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2021-22 Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,572

Re: Official Celtics 2021-22 Off-Season Thread 

Post#1361 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:55 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:I am really loving the roster construction right now.

Guards: Nesmith/???????/Langford
S. Forwards: Brown/Richardson/GrantW
P. Forwards: Tatum/Hernangomez/Parker
Center: Timelord/Horford/Kanter/Bruno

We can use a 3rd guard now (assuming that Grant can indeed play Small Forward and assuming Langford is capable of being the backup guard.)

Really think the 2nd unit 1 and 2 positions will be filled by Schroder and Pritchard. Udoka going to use that backcourt like the Spurs did with Patty Mills. Schroder needs shooters around him.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#1362 » by playa-hater » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:Some footage of Jabari over the summer.

I know these proAm, open gym, pick up games you have to take with a grain of salt because a) the level of play and b) the loose, unstructured style of play. but Jabari looks pretty good in this video.

Most encouraging is he actually plays pretty good D on a few plays. A couple of nice blocks and a couple of plays where he does a solid job of on the ball defense guarding Kevin Porter Jr, a smaller/quicker wing who's very tough to guard 1 on 1.

It might be nothing, but it kind of looks like Jabari winces in pain a little bit as he heads back on D around the 13:58 mark after his teammates makes a shot.

maybe just maybe J Parker is the biggest surprise in training camp. I mean, he is ultra talented or once was. what if he does actually come in the "his last last chance" shape. Most players were close to their top physical abilities and therefor can't improve a ton. but JP may have been miles away from that, therefor have the biggest gain potential.

Not saying it will happen, but just food for thought.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1363 » by playa-hater » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SatchSanders wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
The Smart Nesmith Brown Williams lineup allows for a
Schroeder Pritch JRich HGomez Horford unit
with LangfordParker Grant Bruno Kanter in reserve.

That's a helluva roster.
That 2nd unit would absolutely crush last seasons.
Hat tip to Stevens. Tip it!

People are sleeping on Langford. He’ll be 7th or 8th man if not starting. His defense and ball movement will draw Udoka to him.

Summer League? He was playing the role he was asked to play, the role he knew he’d play this season. With his length and awareness he can guard 1 through 4, and he’s a slasher and quality passer who consistently makes the right play.

With Richardson on the team nothing will be handed to Langford, but he’ll seize a role. He’s an excellent complement to the Jays and has the highest upside as a trade chip aside from the Jays and RWIII.

Agreed.

People seem to be going gaga over Nesmith, saying he should start. I'm still not convinced he should be over Langford on the depth chart.

Nesmith is a better shooter, yes. But Langford has closed the gap in that department with improved shooting late in the season, in playoffs and in summer league. And Langford is a much better defender and better passer.

Nesmith was lighting it up at summer league - at times. But at times he was ice cold. And he had a few times where he got burned pretty bad defensively by guys who are g-leaguers.

People are just giving credit to Nesmith and Pritchard for what they did in summer league. Langford is the one who hit the game-winning 3-pointer in the first game and Langford is the one who had what many consider the best dunk of summer league.

IMO the 2 of them are entering camp about even on the depth chart. We need both of them and both of them have the potential to be really good. Who plays more is TBD, depends on who earns more mins at training camp, preseason, practice and games..

For the first bold I think you are way underestimating the need for Boston to have a "true shooter" in the lineup with the Js. Nesmith while he still hasn't proven that part yet, is still an easy selection to become a "true shooter" over/before Langford.

The 2nd bold a "much better passer and defender" is "potentially an overstatement". I haven't seen many signs of this being true in his small sample size.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1364 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:08 pm

Bar none, this roster is definitely better-suited to survive the rigors of a long, 82-game season. I think our ceiling is lower barring a jump in development from our young players, but setting that aside, I think the depth will help us have a better overall season performance net-net.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,983

Post#1365 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Sep 7, 2021 7:12 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

We can use a 3rd guard now (assuming that Grant can indeed play Small Forward and assuming Langford is capable of being the backup guard.)

Really think the 2nd unit 1 and 2 positions will be filled by Schroder and Pritchard. Udoka going to use that backcourt like the Spurs did with Patty Mills. Schroder needs shooters around him.

Can see Schroder assuming the 6th man role like he did in OKC>
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#1366 » by Hal14 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 9:05 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
SatchSanders wrote:
People are sleeping on Langford. He’ll be 7th or 8th man if not starting. His defense and ball movement will draw Udoka to him.

Summer League? He was playing the role he was asked to play, the role he knew he’d play this season. With his length and awareness he can guard 1 through 4, and he’s a slasher and quality passer who consistently makes the right play.

With Richardson on the team nothing will be handed to Langford, but he’ll seize a role. He’s an excellent complement to the Jays and has the highest upside as a trade chip aside from the Jays and RWIII.

Agreed.

People seem to be going gaga over Nesmith, saying he should start. I'm still not convinced he should be over Langford on the depth chart.

Nesmith is a better shooter, yes. But Langford has closed the gap in that department with improved shooting late in the season, in playoffs and in summer league. And Langford is a much better defender and better passer.

Nesmith was lighting it up at summer league - at times. But at times he was ice cold. And he had a few times where he got burned pretty bad defensively by guys who are g-leaguers.

People are just giving credit to Nesmith and Pritchard for what they did in summer league. Langford is the one who hit the game-winning 3-pointer in the first game and Langford is the one who had what many consider the best dunk of summer league.

IMO the 2 of them are entering camp about even on the depth chart. We need both of them and both of them have the potential to be really good. Who plays more is TBD, depends on who earns more mins at training camp, preseason, practice and games..

For the first bold I think you are way underestimating the need for Boston to have a "true shooter" in the lineup with the Js. Nesmith while he still hasn't proven that part yet, is still an easy selection to become a "true shooter" over/before Langford.

The 2nd bold a "much better passer and defender" is "potentially an overstatement". I haven't seen many signs of this being true in his small sample size.

1) Who was the "true shooter" in the Bucks starting 5 last yr?

Who was the "true shooter" in the Suns starting 5 last yr?

My recommended starting 5 is Smart/Richardson/Brown/Tatum/Horford. This lineup contains 3 players who shot over the league average 3 point % last year (Tatum, Brown, Horford). The Bucks and Suns both had 3 players in their starting 5 who shot over the league average from 3. So the starting 5 outlined above should be just fine - especially since both Richardson and Smart are also decent outside shooters as well - so literally all 5 guys can be counted on to shoot at least 34% from 3.

Brown shot 39.7% from 3 and Brown shot 38.6% from 3. When Brown has the ball, Tatum is an off-ball shooter. When Tatum has the ball, Brown is an off-ball shooter. People keep saying how we need shooters with the Jays - the Jays ARE shooters.

2) IMO there's 7 guys on the team who are clearly better than both Nesmith and Langford (rob, al, smart, richardson, schroder, tatum, brown). Nesmith is at best our 8th best player, but one could even say he's our 10th or 11th best player so I think it's a reach to put him in the starting lineup because while you put another shooter out there, you're sacrificing in other areas.

Since my recommended starting 5 is smart/richardson/brown/tatum/horford, it is less a question about which 1 of them its better with the Jays and more of a question of which one fits better with the bench unit? Cause I'm actually saying that neither Nesmith or Langford starts. Both Nesmith and langford will likely get mins with the 2nd unit (along with "true shooter" Pritchard). I'm simply saying that in terms of overall game, I'm not seeing how Nesmith is clearly better than Langford - which is what it seems like most C's fans think is the case.

3) I actually said Langford is a much better defender and a better passer. Not a much better defender and a much better passer. It is common knowledge that Langford has played some PG in high school and college and there's been talks about having Langford play some PG for us, because of his play making ability, experience at the 1 and because of how long we would be with him at the 1 and how good defensively and switchable that lineup would be. Nesmith meanwhile is a catch and shoot guy. A good catch and shoot guy for sure, but it's common knowledge that he's not much of a play maker for others.

And defensively, Langford has shown flashes both last season and the year before that as being a truly elite perimeter defender. IMO he was one of our 3 best defenders last year, with Smart and Rob being the other 2. Nesmith at times was pretty good defensively, but at times he looked lost - Langford was simply better and more consistent on that end of the floor. That was also true in summer league, where Langford was solid on D, whereas Nesmith got burned defensively a number of times by g-leaguers.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#1367 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:49 am

SatchSanders wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Feels like Rob and Nesmith have every opportunity to take the starting jobs here. Let's hope they do.

The Smart Nesmith Brown Williams lineup allows for a
Schroeder Pritch JRich HGomez Horford unit
with LangfordParker Grant Bruno Kanter in reserve.

That's a helluva roster.
That 2nd unit would absolutely crush last seasons.
Hat tip to Stevens. Tip it!

Good take Satch. Sure Romeys defense and versatility will give him opportunity and if he gets it I want to see him play and develop as a scorer. Get to the rim, Get in the lane, mid range shots. Play to his strengths. Imo he should target Parkers minutes. If Romey can score, his defense could decide it.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#1368 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:59 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

If Schoeder is with Pritch and Nesmith, the latter two could get alot of looks. Also think Schoder could feed RWilliams alot of lobs. It be interesting how the rotation plays out. Saw an article today bout HGomez playing the 4 which moves JB an JT to SG and SF.

Smart Brown Tatum HGomez Horford
Schroeder Pritch JRich GWill RWill
Nesmith Langford Parker Bruno Kanter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#1369 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:07 am

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1370 » by playa-hater » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:13 am

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Agreed.

1) Who was the "true shooter" in the Bucks starting 5 last yr?

Who was the "true shooter" in the Suns starting 5 last yr?

My recommended starting 5 is Smart/Richardson/Brown/Tatum/Horford. This lineup contains 3 players who shot over the league average 3 point % last year (Tatum, Brown, Horford). The Bucks and Suns both had 3 players in their starting 5 who shot over the league average from 3. So the starting 5 outlined above should be just fine - especially since both Richardson and Smart are also decent outside shooters as well - so literally all 5 guys can be counted on to shoot at least 34% from 3.

Brown shot 39.7% from 3 and Brown shot 38.6% from 3. When Brown has the ball, Tatum is an off-ball shooter. When Tatum has the ball, Brown is an off-ball shooter. People keep saying how we need shooters with the Jays - the Jays ARE shooters.

2) IMO there's 7 guys on the team who are clearly better than both Nesmith and Langford (rob, al, smart, richardson, schroder, tatum, brown). Nesmith is at best our 8th best player, but one could even say he's our 10th or 11th best player so I think it's a reach to put him in the starting lineup because while you put another shooter out there, you're sacrificing in other areas.

Since my recommended starting 5 is smart/richardson/brown/tatum/horford, it is less a question about which 1 of them its better with the Jays and more of a question of which one fits better with the bench unit? Cause I'm actually saying that neither Nesmith or Langford starts. Both Nesmith and langford will likely get mins with the 2nd unit (along with "true shooter" Pritchard). I'm simply saying that in terms of overall game, I'm not seeing how Nesmith is clearly better than Langford - which is what it seems like most C's fans think is the case.

3) I actually said Langford is a much better defender and a better passer. Not a much better defender and a much better passer. It is common knowledge that Langford has played some PG in high school and college and there's been talks about having Langford play some PG for us, because of his play making ability, experience at the 1 and because of how long we would be with him at the 1 and how good defensively and switchable that lineup would be. Nesmith meanwhile is a catch and shoot guy. A good catch and shoot guy for sure, but it's common knowledge that he's not much of a play maker for others.

And defensively, Langford has shown flashes both last season and the year before that as being a truly elite perimeter defender. IMO he was one of our 3 best defenders last year, with Smart and Rob being the other 2. Nesmith at times was pretty good defensively, but at times he looked lost - Langford was simply better and more consistent on that end of the floor. That was also true in summer league, where Langford was solid on D, whereas Nesmith got burned defensively a number of times by g-leaguers.

there is just way too much for me to digest in this. even though it is offseason. I'll just say, most on here will say Nesmith has a legit chance to start, with shooting being a big reason. while I don't think many/any really believe Langford even has a chance. In fact most probably have Romeo in the 3rd unit. Not sure why you don't see that.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#1371 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:36 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Champs poaching our roster.
Who's Next Kanter?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,922

Post#1372 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:22 am

Read on Twitter
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#1373 » by ballup » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:16 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Imagine if the walk of shame was on national television for the defending champs.

Waters played better after that incident, but damn was that night scarring

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1374 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:39 pm

It's interesting to see true contenders snapping up the discards of more lightly regarded teams. The Bucks snapped up Ojeleye; the Suns signed Chandler Hutchinson, etc.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#1375 » by Half-Full » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:09 pm

There has been some discussion about the allocation of minutes this coming season. From my recollection, nobody was projecting a lot of minutes for the young guys, Pritchard, Langford, and Nesmith. IIRC most had them getting around 15 minutes of playing time. Not unreasonable, but around the time that IME was hired there was talk of committing more time to the development of the young guys, and I'm wondering how that translates into playing time. Last year Pritchard averaged 19 minutes, Langford 15 minutes, and Nesmith 14.5 minutes. If there is a commitment to developing them, one would expect to see them get an increased amount of playing time. Yes? No? I have less concern about Pritchard's minutes, as I think he has demonstrated that he can soak up 20 minutes of PT and be a solid contributor. He did last season, and for now, I think 20 minutes or so is about right, given our roster. That's a good chunk of minutes for a second year guy. Have Nesmith and Langford shown enough to warrant a similar amount of minutes, though? If they don't see more minutes than last year, what kind of a commitment is that? In any case, it will be interesting to see how Ime handles this roster.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1376 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Sep 8, 2021 5:06 pm

Last year we didn't have Schroder or Richardson. I expect Pritchard to get minutes, but not the other two unless they show major improvement or if there are injuries.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1377 » by Dannyboy36 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 7:34 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Really think the 2nd unit 1 and 2 positions will be filled by Schroder and Pritchard. Udoka going to use that backcourt like the Spurs did with Patty Mills. Schroder needs shooters around him.

If Schoeder is with Pritch and Nesmith, the latter two could get alot of looks. Also think Schoder could feed RWilliams alot of lobs. It be interesting how the rotation plays out. Saw an article today bout HGomez playing the 4 which moves JB an JT to SG and SF.

Smart Brown Tatum HGomez Horford
Schroeder Pritch JRich GWill RWill
Nesmith Langford Parker Bruno Kanter

Schroeder Richardson
Smart Pritchard
Brown. Romeo
Tatum
Rob. Horford

I think this will be the starting team and who ends up getting the most minutes off the bench. I think Richardson will get a lot of reps and when / if played with a Pritchard he’ll be used more off ball as an open shooter. Pritchard is super talented but just struggles for separation a d I think it plays to both their strengths. Hi m curious HOW good a shooter Pritchard could be if he took in this kind of role . But maybe what he gives up on d is just to big anyways.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,588

Post#1378 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Sep 8, 2021 9:42 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:It's interesting to see true contenders snapping up the discards of more lightly regarded teams. The Bucks snapped up Ojeleye; the Suns signed Chandler Hutchinson, etc.

Bucks picked up Waters too, if the Celts don't win that almost guarantees a B2B for them! :lol:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#1379 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:57 pm

ballup wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Imagine if the walk of shame was on national television for the defending champs.

Waters played better after that incident, but damn was that night scarring

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'll lbe laughing my arse off if Waters is throwing lobs to Giannis. The kid can pass and plays hard. Hope he makes it.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#1380 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:57 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics