ImageImageImage

THE PAUL PIERCE MF TRUTH HOF INDUCTION THREAD - Sat 9/11/2021 - NBATV

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,002

THE PAUL PIERCE MF TRUTH HOF INDUCTION THREAD - Sat 9/11/2021 - NBATV 

Post#1 » by exculpatory » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:39 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/paul-pierce-hall-of-fame-profile

16th leading scorer in NBA history w 26,397 points (2 points more than Hondo).

One of the most clutch players of his generation - & arguably of all time.

One of 15 players with >25,000 points, >7,500 rebounds and >4,500 assists in his career.

And his D was top flight as well when he let it all out.

He was only selfish when he had to be.

The durability of his multifaceted excellence was extraordinary.

And he was tougher than nails.

Arguably the most versatile scorer in Celtic History:
Tommy thought so.
Bob Ryan thinks so:

There even is one category in which Pierce vaults above the rest.
They’ve never had a guy in this town who was such a consummate all-around scorer,” Ryan said in a 2013 interview. “They say, ‘What about Havlicek? What about Bird?’ Well, John was a run-around-without-the-ball guy, he wasn’t a 1-on-1 guy. And Larry, there were circumstances when he could be guarded or instances when he wasn’t able to get his own shot and needed help. The great thing about Pierce is, he could always get his own shot. And ‘his own shot’ meant that he could pull up and take a three, he had that great mid-range jumper, had that beautiful step-back when he cleared space. He could post up. Tremendous driver, ambidextrous driver, great finisher. And he got to the line and he was pretty good free throw shooter. We’ve never had a more consummate all-around scorer.”

However, Larry Legend was Larry Legend & I therefore am not touching that debate.

Top 3-4-5 Celtic Legend.

#34 lifted to the rafters in 2/2018 - I was lucky enough to be there (I was also there for about 5 of his very many last second mega-clutch gamewinners).

NBA Champion & Finals MVP 2008 - and, if not for KG’s injury in 2/2009 & the forever accursed Game 7 in 6/2010, should have been at the least a 3 time NBA champion (and maybe even more times if he had been blessed w KG earlier in his career like Kobe was given Shaq - as opposed to having to carry garbage teams for his first 9 seasons).

10 time All Star & 4 time All Pro - and should have been selected MANY more times if he was not the most underrated Super Star of his generation.

Outplayed or played even Bron, Kobe, Vince & TMac during the majority of their head to head matchups.

From the linked article:
“Pierce was one of 15 players with >25,000 points, >7,500 rebounds and >4,500 assists in his career.
He reached four conference finals, two Finals and won one title (as the Finals MVP).
The list of players who can match that résumé includes only Garnett, Havlicek, James, O'Neal, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon and Oscar Robertson.”

“His legacy is unlike any other player not considered among the 50 greatest players in history.”

And I personally would very comfortably rate him at least Top ~40 NBA All Time & easily Top 20 NBA All Time amongst wings (excluding bigs at the 4/5 & pure point guards) & easily Top 10 NBA All Time amongst SFs

My most favorite professional athlete in any sport by light years during my lifetime.

Thank you, Paul!

I love you, Truth!

(Much more to come as I gather up my Truth links!)
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
exculpatory
RealGM

Re: THE PAUL PIERCE MF TRUTH HOF INDUCTION THREAD - Sat 9/11/2021 - NBATV 

Post#2 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 9, 2021 4:10 pm

Great post, Ex.
Fantastic career.
Remarkable quote from Bob Ryan. He was **** spot on.

PS Oh well. I guess the rest of the board forgot what he accomplished. But you haven’t. 1,000,000 And 1s.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#4 » by 31to6 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 7:57 pm

exculpatory wrote:Great post, Ex.
Fantastic career.

PS Oh well. I guess the rest of the board forgot what he accomplished. But you haven’t. 1,000,000 And 1s.

:rofl2:

congratulations, Paul.
congratulations, Ex.

Your man crush on this all-time Celtic great has been one of the defining characteristics of this board for me, and truly an inspiring sight to behold.

Paul was also my favorite Celtic for 20 years, and it was so satisfying he had the career arc he did. (Felt like the one Reggie deserved but was robbed of) We watched him grow up, stick with it, and become a champion. Post-retirement, it's a bit touch-and-go, but I'm glad he's living his life loud and proud. I look forward to his speech!

As the great mangina has always said, Celtic legends don't die ---- just multiply. Here's to one of the greatest to ever do it.

Edit to add: maybe this is a good impetus to change my signature -- goodbye to the Tacko Fall fan club, hello to the Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#5 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:24 pm

I love that **** article.

TY so much!
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#6 » by exculpatory » Thu Sep 9, 2021 9:26 pm

31to6 wrote:
Fantastic career.

congratulations, Paul.
congratulations, Ex.

Your man crush on this all-time Celtic great has been one of the defining characteristics of this board for me, and truly an inspiring sight to behold.

Paul was also my favorite Celtic for 20 years, and it was so satisfying he had the career arc he did. (Felt like the one Reggie deserved but was robbed of) We watched him grow up, stick with it, and become a champion. Post-retirement, it's a bit touch-and-go, but I'm glad he's living his life loud and proud. I look forward to his speech!

As the great mangina has always said, Celtic legends don't die ---- just multiply. Here's to one of the greatest to ever do it.

Edit to add: maybe this is a good impetus to change my signature -- goodbye to the Tacko Fall fan club, hello to the Paul Pierce appreciation society.

:)

Can I join?
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#7 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 am

exculpatory wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Fantastic career.

congratulations, Paul.
congratulations, Ex.

Can I join?

I feel like the last witch in the Wizard of Oz, but Ex, you’ve been the leader and founding father of the Paul Pierce appreciation society all along.

Way to bang that drum! Mega clutch!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#8 » by exculpatory » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:01 pm

31to6 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
31to6 wrote:

congratulations, Paul.
congratulations, Ex.

Can I join?

I feel like the last witch in the Wizard of Oz, but Ex, you’ve been the leader and founding father of the Paul Pierce appreciation society all along.

Way to bang that drum! Mega clutch!

Ok, I humbly accept - but only if you become my XO!

PS I enhanced my OP. Please read it again.
Gurton Buster
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,347

Post#9 » by Gurton Buster » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:50 pm

Forever my favourite basketball player. Congrats to the Truth.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,213

Post#10 » by bisme37 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Game 7 of the 08 ECFs is on NBATV right now. Pierce's big game to beat Bron and the Cavs.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#11 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Pierce is easily the most deserving out of the group. It's well deserved for him to make it.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#12 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#13 » by exculpatory » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 pm

Great red carpet interview, Truth!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#14 » by Parliament10 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:12 pm

I just found out that I no longer have NBA-TV. I downgraded my Cable package, keeping NBC-SB.
Comcast has me by the b's. I gotta have ALL my Basketball channels.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#16 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:15 am

My grandfather had Bill Russell, My father had Larry Bird, I have Paul Pierce.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#17 » by exculpatory » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:16 am

Paul’s speech was great. Loved it.

(Chris Bosh remains the most well spoken & eloquent professional athlete maybe EVER!)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#18 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:27 am

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 am

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#20 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:My grandfather had Bill Russell, My father had Larry Bird, I have Paul Pierce.

These are Greats. Hopefully, Jayson Tatum can follow in their footsteps.
Though, that's a Tall Order.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics