ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Re: Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign 

Post#461 » by BEazy » Sun Sep 5, 2021 4:53 am

Man I’ve never seen such backlash of a player that’s only 33 years old. You would think we brought back Andrew Bynum or something. I think DJ will have renewed energy because he knows his role unlike with the Nets. If Pau had trouble dealing with MDA style basketball just imagine a guy like DJ. I have a feeling DJ will have guys eating their words soon enough.

Kinda reminds me of the backlash Dwight got when we signed him on his 2nd stint with us.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#462 » by tugs » Sun Sep 5, 2021 5:54 am

People have been really hard on these "old guys" but experience is being undervalued here. These "has beens" know how to win and, at this point in their respective careers, they would settle for any role as long as they get that championship
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#463 » by SK21209 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 8:05 pm

Maybe I’m missing something, but why does signing DJ mean Gasol is likely gone? DJ got DNPs to finish last season with the Nets and that’s what he should get on this team. He should be a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency, fourth option at center behind AD, Gasol and Dwight. His only role should be to be Dwight in case Dwight is hurt. If he’s here to replace Gasol, I hate the signing. If he’s here to be an emergency option behind Gasol, Dwight and AD I love it.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#464 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Mon Sep 6, 2021 12:01 am

DJ signing is an insurance move incase Marc leaves. As of now with Marc on the team I think it's an OK move because I really want another big for insurance. If Marc leaves there will be another roster spot so we just need to sign another big, preferably a younger one who can rebound and play D.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#465 » by TylersLakers » Mon Sep 6, 2021 1:30 am

For a third or fourth option at C, I think this is a good signing.

He’s not going to play lots. If Dwight ever gets hurt, Jordan slides into those minutes.

The 9 man rotation will be

Westbrook, Bron, AD, Bazemore, THT, Nunn, Melo, Dwight, Ellington.

I’m also convinced AD is starting at the 5 now. Just makes too much sense.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#466 » by NBAWestFan » Mon Sep 6, 2021 2:20 am

I not sure what to think of the Lakers these days.

One year there is this set of guys. Next year most contracts are up and then there is another set of guys.

This year some of the guys from the year before come back and then some pretty old all stars.
I like Nunn, THT AD for the long term. The rest of the old guys I'm sure how long they will be good or have contract.

It looks like the Nets and Lakers are stacked but that does not guarantee a title. Heat, Bucks Warriors might be tough.

I will have to seem them play and then I can decide how I feel.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,829

Post#467 » by Beethoven » Mon Sep 6, 2021 4:42 am

Nah we're winnin the title this year.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 578

Post#468 » by Gavin_TDThree » Tue Sep 7, 2021 4:11 pm

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#469 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 5:16 pm

Not a few fans here wouldn't stop crying that this team suffered on defense a lot when they lost JMG and Howard, ignoring the fact that the Lakers were STILL no 1 best in DRTG last season. I am not saying Marc was the main reason, but I strongly believed they did it with several defensive minded perimeter guys like KCP, Matthews, Caruso to execute Vogel's system.
Lakers didn't get eliminated bec they missed JMG and Howards IMO, they lost bec AD was injured. Having rim protectors would help a lot, don't get me wrong, but I am intrigued on how Frank would play these guys esp when they are forced to switch to shooters.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,388

Post#470 » by Danny Darko » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Read on Twitter
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#471 » by BEazy » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:39 pm

Sign DJ and Ennis, trade Gasol, and call it a offseason.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#472 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:19 pm

DeAndre Jordan? Cmon man, we can get a better big from the Local Park and Rec
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#473 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:DeAndre Jordan? Cmon man, we can get a better big from the Local Park and Rec

They just traded Marc Gasol for Memphis, and for Grizz Front Office to agree to absorb his contract, they had to trade their precious 2nd rounder and cash.
I posted on the General Board questioning IF Jeannie has started to cut corners and save Money and I got crucified for it.
Now they lose their best 3pt shooting Center who can help stretch the floor and spot and pass to open teammates for a Vet Min who basically duplicates what Howard does.
Taking into account Gasol’s $2.69MM salary and the accompanying luxury-tax penalty, Wojnarowski estimates that L.A. will recoup about $10MM. The Lakers will have 13 players on guaranteed contracts once the deal is finalized, leaving two spots open on the 15-man roster, though the club may only fill one of them for the start of the regular season.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#474 » by DNP-Old » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:49 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:DeAndre Jordan? Cmon man, we can get a better big from the Local Park and Rec

They just traded Marc Gasol for Memphis, and for Grizz Front Office to agree to absorb his contract, they had to trade their precious 2nd rounder and cash.
I posted on the General Board questioning IF Jeannie has started to cut corners and save Money and I got crucified for it.
Now they lose their best 3pt shooting Center who can help stretch the floor and spot and pass to open teammates for a Vet Min who basically duplicates what Howard does.
Taking into account Gasol’s $2.69MM salary and the accompanying luxury-tax penalty, Wojnarowski estimates that L.A. will recoup about $10MM. The Lakers will have 13 players on guaranteed contracts once the deal is finalized, leaving two spots open on the 15-man roster, though the club may only fill one of them for the start of the regular season.

Jordan costs LAL the exact same amount as Gasol. Gasol was also on a minimum contract. This trade is a way to get him his money without paying the tax.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#475 » by Ball so hard » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Heck of a career for Marc. I wish him all the best. I don't think we'll miss him much. Seems people quickly forget how ineffective he was which led to his playing sparingly. Many thought the coaching staff was wrong for not playing him more; I disagree. For the record I do not think DJ is any good at this point in his career. I do expect AD to play center. I also expect a heavy dose of small ball lineups. I expect DJ to pick up DNPs similar to Gasol last season.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#476 » by scoobs07 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:00 pm

Ball so hard wrote:Heck of a career for Marc. I wish him all the best. I don't think we'll miss him much. Seems people quickly forget how ineffective he was which led to his playing sparingly. Many thought the coaching staff was wrong for not playing him more; I disagree. For the record I do not think DJ is any good at this point in his career. I do expect AD to play center. I also expect a heavy dose of small ball lineups. I expect DJ to pick up DNPs similar to Gasol last season.

Potential Rotation:

PF-James (32) Anthony (16)
SF-Ariza (24) THT (24)
C-Davis (32) Howard (16)
PG-Westbrook (32) Rondo (16)
SG-Nunn (32) Ellington (16)
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#477 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Okay, at this point. I'm down to putting Anthony at the 5. Older. Stronger. But can force 5s to guard him out to the perimeter. But those particular games, adjust with length
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#478 » by tugs » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Hey if Batum can play small ball 5, Melo can
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#479 » by ROballer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:35 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Okay, at this point. I'm down to putting Anthony at the 5. Older. Stronger. But can force 5s to guard him out to the perimeter. But those particular games, adjust with length

No need to overthink it. Melo will play at the 4 if we do it logically and start Davis.

I see people still saying both Jordan and Howard will play, which doesn't make any sense IMO. Those are minutes that can be more valuable distributed to our plethora of wings, which are way better and more impactful players than Jordan at this point.
One or two will not play already because we are stacked, now you're going to take away more minutes from them?

If Jordan plays, Ariza/Anthony/THT/Monk/Bazemore/Ellington lose minutes because Davis and Lebron slide down a spot each in the lineup.

If Jordan doesn't play, it's easy. Davis starts at C and Lebron at PF. Howard backs up Davis straight up and with Davis and Lebron not playing PF and SF respectively, it opens up more minutes for the players mentioned above.

I don't see the infatuation with Davis not playing C or as few minutes as possible there. He said he'd do it for months now. Both he and Lebron are on record saying they will play PF and C now with Westbrook on board, Vogel is on record saying we will try to play at a faster pace to accomodate Westbrook's game(essentially saying the same thing, Lebron/Davis frontcourt).

What's the issue here? Is it Davis' health? Because AFAIK, he's injury prone and missed a ton of games more seasons than not while playing at PF. I don't think the position is a factor here, it's just the way he's built.

The C position is almost dead, there's almost nobody in the league who can inflict damage and punish him in the paint. And there's no C in the league who can guard him at the other end.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#480 » by loveshaq786 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 am

tugs wrote:Hey if Batum can play small ball 5, Melo can

Batum>>> melo ...on defense

Return to Los Angeles Lakers