[NOP - DAL] Louisiana Unicorn

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

[NOP - DAL] Louisiana Unicorn 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:01 am

New Orleans trades: Jonas Valanciunas, Tomas Satoransky, Garrett Temple
Dallas trades: Kristaps Porzingis

Why New Orleans does it: Kristaps opens up space for Zion and becomes a fantastic third option in New Orleans. Yes, he's not a good defender and the Pelicans are going to hemorrhage points, but with him they have a chance of still scoring more.

Why Dallas does it: Val should go absolutely nuts feeding off of Luka and crashing the offensive glass. Satoransky also seems like a pretty nice fit as a heady, efficient combo-guard.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Re: [NOP - DAL] Louisiana Unicorn 

Post#2 » by Apz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:36 pm

Lowers mavs too much. And costs rosterspots. Nola would have to eat like burke and something else bad. But overall, KP id a atleast a tier, maybe 2, above what mavs get in and would pretty much only just make them a worse team with lower ceiling
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#3 » by lordjeff05 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 pm

I’ve been pushing a KP to Pels trade for a minute so id def do this deal.

The one thing I’d say in favor of a deal like this for the Mavs is that you can’t switch on JV, like you can on KP. It would make it much harder to run the switch everything defensive scheme against the Mavs in the clutch or in the playoffs. JV is one of the top 5 or 6 switch proof bigs in the league (Jokic, Ennius, Zion, and Sabonis are the only guys I’d put ahead of him for sure in that category). The question is whether you gain enough on the offensive end to make up for whatever you lose on the defensive end.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#4 » by patman66 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 pm

Apz wrote:Lowers mavs too much. And costs rosterspots. Nola would have to eat like burke and something else bad. But overall, KP id a atleast a tier, maybe 2, above what mavs get in and would pretty much only just make them a worse team with lower ceiling

Understood, but one more bad injury year and he will be almost a Love type negative.

Send Val to Toronto for Dragic and boucher.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,377

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:03 pm

If Dallas hadn’t tied up so future salary, maybe this makes sense as a way to try and land a new “number 2” next summer without sacrificing this season. But with THJ, Bullock, and paying Luka early - road to major cap space looks difficult.

While I think the OP is probably great value, just don’t see Dallas going for it. So much risk in 12 months. Have to overpay Jonas just to stay somewhat respectable and if he leaves then you have weak assets, minimal cap space..
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,456

Post#6 » by Swish1906 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 pm

KP opens up the space for Zion and Vala kills the space for Luka, huh...

Spacing is everything for luka and the Mavs. Love Vala but he doesnt fit. You either need a KP or an elite roll man
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,330

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:35 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:I’ve been pushing a KP to Pels trade for a minute so id def do this deal.

The one thing I’d say in favor of a deal like this for the Mavs is that you can’t switch on JV, like you can on KP. It would make it much harder to run the switch everything defensive scheme against the Mavs in the clutch or in the playoffs. JV is one of the top 5 or 6 switch proof bigs in the league (Jokic, Ennius, Zion, and Sabonis are the only guys I’d put ahead of him for sure in that category). The question is whether you gain enough on the offensive end to make up for whatever you lose on the defensive end.

JV is a good player. I can't imagine swapping him in for KP makes the offense better. People only focus on what KP can't do, but his ability to space and play 5 out for Luka is huge and the Luka/KP PNR was the best in the league last year. KP is a really good offensive player despite people freaking out that he's 7'3" and doesn't post up. First, almost nobody posts up any longer and its the least efficient offense in the league unless you have a freak. And 2nd he really impacts defenses with his spacing, his PNR and he's a very good cutter for a man of his size. His instincts are terrific for when to duck in.

JV clogs the lane for Luka and while his offensive rebounding and touch around the basket is nice, as far as running a team offense KP offers considerably more.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,200

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:05 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:I’ve been pushing a KP to Pels trade for a minute so id def do this deal.

JV is a good player. I can't imagine swapping him in for KP makes the offense better. People only focus on what KP can't do, but his ability to space and play 5 out for Luka is huge and the Luka/KP PNR was the best in the league last year. KP is a really good offensive player despite people freaking out that he's 7'3" and doesn't post up. First, almost nobody posts up any longer and its the least efficient offense in the league unless you have a freak. And 2nd he really impacts defenses with his spacing, his PNR and he's a very good cutter for a man of his size. His instincts are terrific for when to duck in.

JV clogs the lane for Luka and while his offensive rebounding and touch around the basket is nice, as far as running a team offense KP offers considerably more.

Didnt luka do really well with powell in the lineup too? Wouldnt JV be an upgrade to powell
Texas Chuck

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:41 am

Godaddycurse wrote:Didnt luka do really well with powell in the lineup too? Wouldnt JV be an upgrade to powell

Overall of course he is. Offensively? Honestly not sure how that would work. Such different players. But the Mavs offensive rating with Powell on the court the past 5 seasons is off the chart good. His issue is all at the other end.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#10 » by LAL1947 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:13 am

This deal seems a little underwhelming from a Dallas perspective and risky. Re-signing JV will most likely come at a premium to his current $14m... if he re-signs. Not re-signing JV/Satoransky and waiving others still won't help the Mavs get close to a max spot... perhaps, close to $25m only? Can't do much with that and the FAs who will be on the market are underwhelming. Some nice RFAs but all will likely get matched.

So, if this trade were to go down... I think the Mavs could try asking for Trey Murphy III too. Not sure if that's something the Pels would entertain though.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Post#11 » by BadWolf » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:56 am

Some of the comments here are baffling.
Val costs less, contract is shorter, is healthier, no off court issues and he was much better last year.
WTF would Pels do this without compensation?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,377

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:56 am

BadWolf wrote:Some of the comments here are baffling.
Val costs less, contract is shorter, is healthier, no off court issues and he was much better last year.

Age, defense, And fit matter.

Jonas did put up really great offensive numbers last year though.
Texas Chuck

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:29 pm

BadWolf wrote:Some of the comments here are baffling.

You seem to be conflating some Mavs fans not wanting to do this with them saying the Pels should do it. And that's what's got you baffled. I don't think the Pels should do this deal either.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#14 » by Apz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Agree with TC. Sometimes we actually agree about stuff, as long as it foesnt include the words "horford", "kemba" or "love"...:)

But mavs dont do it cause it makes them worse, and while I dont consider any of the players they get bad, none of them is upgrade over what we got and would have to waive 2 players that even more lessens the gain.

Nola seems happy with ehat they got so not sure why they do this. Ehile I think KP-zion is their perfect frontcourt(realistic), I dont think they want to pay the actual price needed to get him and I think they should see how it looks. And if they think that they want KP at the deadline im sure they still can land him even if it might cost more then than now
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 816

Post#15 » by ADMVP » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 am

Apz wrote:Agree with TC. Sometimes we actually agree about stuff, as long as it foesnt include the words "horford", "kemba" or "love"...:)

But mavs dont do it cause it makes them worse, and while I dont consider any of the players they get bad, none of them is upgrade over what we got and would have to waive 2 players that even more lessens the gain.

Nola seems happy with ehat they got so not sure why they do this. Ehile I think KP-zion is their perfect frontcourt(realistic), I dont think they want to pay the actual price needed to get him and I think they should see how it looks. And if they think that they want KP at the deadline im sure they still can land him even if it might cost more then than now
I think most Pels fans would be furious if we traded assets for KP. His allure has worn off.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:44 am

ADMVP wrote:
Apz wrote:Agree with TC. Sometimes we actually agree about stuff, as long as it foesnt include the words "horford", "kemba" or "love"...:)

I think most Pels fans would be furious if we traded assets for KP. His allure has worn off.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Val and two old guys are assets? Like they are all fine and I think they'd be good role player for Dallas, but lets not kid ourselves that they could fetch serious value on the open market.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:23 am

This is about KP's value but I just don't think the Mavs can sell him for his value at this point. They've got to hope has a bounce back year and they can do a little better down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:This is about KP's value but I just don't think the Mavs can sell him for his value at this point. They've got to hope has a bounce back year and they can do a little better down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Agree its about his value.
Agree Mavs should never trade him for a package like this.
Have real doubts his value ever bounces back. Just don't trust his health to hold him. When he has a stretch of good health, he's played at a higher level than most realize. The problem is those periods have been rare and short in duration. And let's say he plays 70+ games this year--I'm not sure other teams are going to think his health concerns are behind him--I know I wouldn't.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#19 » by illuminati666 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:18 am

JV has more value than KP at this point. Some of y'all are tripping, KP is looking like he's going to be a negative contract, if he's not scoring he's useless. JV brings elite rebounding, good defense, decent spacing, he'll always be a positive with Luka.

I only see the Pelicans doing this if they get off to a bad start, and JV doesn't fit well with Zion.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 am

illuminati666 wrote:JV has more value than KP at this point. Some of y'all are tripping, KP is looking like he's going to be a negative contract, if he's not scoring he's useless. JV brings elite rebounding, good defense, decent spacing, he'll always be a positive with Luka.

I only see the Pelicans doing this if they get off to a bad start, and JV doesn't fit well with Zion.

JV does not bring good defense for a center. Last year his DBPM was -0.4 (24th among centers) and his defensive Raptor was +0.6 (34th among centers, behind almost every starting center) [his d-lebron is a similar +0.8). Real plus minus grades him out as a +2.6 (7th) but their ratings really just seem wrong to me and don't match other metrics defensively. He is best when teams don't put him in the pnr, but elite guards can torture him. Not saying he isn't good - I like his game and think that a bruising center like him should be pretty valued, but ...

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions