Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Re: Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency 

Post#181 » by DuckIII » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:If I was not a Bulls fan I would be rooting hard for Zach to Memphis. That would be a ridiculously exciting team to watch. Wow.

Players who can sign max deals don't go to Memphis.

Every market can sign a major free agent if the conditions are right. Memphis has pretty damn good conditions for an exception to the rule.

But not Lavine. As I wrote near the beginning of this thread, barring a career threatening injury that can’t be ignored, Lavine’s 2022 free agency is already over. This was all part of the plan, and Lavine was directly involved. The whole point of it all was to ensure retaining Lavine on a long term max deal.

EDIT: Put it this way: The Bulls wanted to max out Lavine and make him a franchise superstar, and Lavine wanted to be loyal to The Bulls and be that guy here. So they both worked together to create an environment in which that would happen. It’s pretty cool actually.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#182 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:14 am

Jcool0 wrote:This is why he is with Klutch

Read on Twitter

something tells me that a guy who is "super authentic" doesn't drink much if any mountain dew. but he'll sure take that bag in exchange for influencing others to low-grade poison themselves

just one more marketing robot. one of the scourges of our destructive consumer culture

why anyone would give a damn about some public figure's marketing team or "brand" is beyond me
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#183 » by detlef_schrempf » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:45 am

dice wrote:

Read on Twitter

something tells me that a guy who is "super authentic" doesn't drink much if any mountain dew. but he'll sure take that bag in exchange for influencing others to low-grade poison themselves

just one more marketing robot. one of the scourges of our destructive consumer culture

why anyone would give a damn about some public figure's marketing team or "brand" is beyond me

You need a therapist
DO THE DEW!
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 340

Post#184 » by gf2020hotmail » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 am

[Another long post that is somewhat redundant to the original post, but further clarifies cap space changes since the original post and also talks about which teams aren't even theoretical options in sign and trades]

I revised the first post of this thread to reflect some contract details that came in late in the off-season, including Jordan's exact buyout figure. I also looked into draft picks held and likely salary projects for rookies in 22 to 23. And what became even clearer is that Zach's market is even more limited than it appears.

With the way things are looking, I am not sure any team will actually have a max cap slot to offer Zach as free agency begins.

Orlando now has around $47 million but that's without Bamba's and Carter's cap holds or actual salary on the roster. It seems very unlikely they renounce both and make them unrestricted.
San Antonio has $43 million if they don't make a qualifying offer to Lonnie Walker before Free Agency begins AND stretch/waive Zach Collins' guaranteed money. Not doing either one of those things would eliminate them as having max cap space.
Detroit has $40 million if they decline the team option on Diallo, but only $35 million if they pick it up.

But here's the thing -- these numbers don't include the $6 to $11 million for a top six draft pick which all three teams are projected to have, which I didn't really include in my first post. That would take out San Antonio and Detroit from max cap space and might even take Orlando out of it.

Memphis still looms but I hadn't realized they are likely to have at least two first round picks which at the least will be around $6 million in salary. They are at 26 million with Culver’s option declined and a $27.5 cap hold for Jaren Jackson but that doesn’t include the two first round draft picks they are likely to have. Theoretically, they could dump all of the picks or pick foreign stashes, hold Jackson’s salary to $17 starting out, and move 1 or 2 of their smaller contract and be around a max cap space but it seems unlikely Jackson agrees to $17 million right away.

Nothing has really changed with the Pelicans. They are still at $29 million if they decline Josh Hart's option. They'd still have to dump two or three players to get max cap space.

Things will stay static with these figures until we see if Bamba or Carter, Walker or Jackson agree to extensions before November. But for now, to get max cap space any of these would really need to know Zach is coming for sure to make the moves in advance so they aren't lacked into cap holds for restricted free agents and they can stash their first round picks.

Also to update on the sign and trade front, obviously Zach's leverage appears limited with no credible place he can feign signing with to get the Bulls to move him to a more desirable market. But what's less obvious is how many teams are currently removed even as a theoretical sign and trade consideration.

Under the CBA, you can't obtain a player in sign & trade if you are above the Apron which is $151.1 million in 22-23. Right now, a staggering six teams will be above the apron -- the Nets, Nuggets, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers and Bucks with the potential for the Suns to join that group.

Memphis is still a slight threat, especially if Jackson has an awful year and they decide to move on, but man oh man did the Bulls luck out again when it comes into the market Zach is entering. I assume this is one of the reasons Zach went with a power player like Klutch because the internal leverage of Klutch holding a grudge against the Bulls affecting other things down the line is almost better leverage than anything Zach do externally with the lack of alternative attractive situations available.
dice
RealGM

Post#185 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:42 pm

detlef_schrempf wrote:
dice wrote:

Read on Twitter

You need a therapist

you need to wake up to the world around you that you've effectively been innoculated against. we have an obesity epidemic in this country. and believe it or not, it's in significant part because we drink copious amounts of crap like mountain dew. now zach lavine is part of the problem. him being great at putting a ball in a basket and wearing laundry that you like doesn't change that

seriously, you tell ME i need a therapist instead of the sad fellow weirdly celebrating some dope's mountain dew contract? because THAT's :crazy:

and wtf does "i can't wait to show fans of mountain dew what i'm all about" even mean? someone in the marketing dept. of mountain dew clearly wrote that word salad crap
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#186 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 pm

gf2020hotmail wrote:[Another long post that is somewhat redundant to the original post, but further clarifies cap space changes since the original post and also talks about which teams aren't even theoretical options in sign and trades]

I revised the first post of this thread to reflect some contract details that came in late in the off-season, including Jordan's exact buyout figure. I also looked into draft picks held and likely salary projects for rookies in 22 to 23. And what became even clearer is that Zach's market is even more limited than it appears.

With the way things are looking, I am not sure any team will actually have a max cap slot to offer Zach as free agency begins.

Orlando now has around $47 million but that's without Bamba's and Carter's cap holds or actual salary on the roster. It seems very unlikely they renounce both and make them unrestricted.
San Antonio has $43 million if they don't make a qualifying offer to Lonnie Walker before Free Agency begins AND stretch/waive Zach Collins' guaranteed money. Not doing either one of those things would eliminate them as having max cap space.
Detroit has $40 million if they decline the team option on Diallo, but only $35 million if they pick it up.

But here's the thing -- these numbers don't include the $6 to $11 million for a top six draft pick which all three teams are projected to have, which I didn't really include in my first post. That would take out San Antonio and Detroit from max cap space and might even take Orlando out of it.

Memphis still looms but I hadn't realized they are likely to have at least two first round picks which at the least will be around $6 million in salary. They are at 26 million with Culver’s option declined and a $27.5 cap hold for Jaren Jackson but that doesn’t include the two first round draft picks they are likely to have. Theoretically, they could dump all of the picks or pick foreign stashes, hold Jackson’s salary to $17 starting out, and move 1 or 2 of their smaller contract and be around a max cap space but it seems unlikely Jackson agrees to $17 million right away.

Nothing has really changed with the Pelicans. They are still at $29 million if they decline Josh Hart's option. They'd still have to dump two or three players to get max cap space.

Things will stay static with these figures until we see if Bamba or Carter, Walker or Jackson agree to extensions before November. But for now, to get max cap space any of these would really need to know Zach is coming for sure to make the moves in advance so they aren't lacked into cap holds for restricted free agents and they can stash their first round picks.

Also to update on the sign and trade front, obviously Zach's leverage appears limited with no credible place he can feign signing with to get the Bulls to move him to a more desirable market. But what's less obvious is how many teams are currently removed even as a theoretical sign and trade consideration.

Under the CBA, you can't obtain a player in sign & trade if you are above the Apron which is $151.1 million in 22-23. Right now, a staggering six teams will be above the apron -- the Nets, Nuggets, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers and Bucks with the potential for the Suns to join that group.

Memphis is still a slight threat, especially if Jackson has an awful year and they decide to move on, but man oh man did the Bulls luck out again when it comes into the market Zach is entering. I assume this is one of the reasons Zach went with a power player like Klutch because the internal leverage of Klutch holding a grudge against the Bulls affecting other things down the line is almost better leverage than anything Zach do externally with the lack of alternative attractive situations available.

any team that really likes zach that's close to having the money will ship pieces out to get him under the cap. or match salary in a sign and trade if zach tells the bulls he won't play here (please do it, zach!)
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man

Post#187 » by gf2020hotmail » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:53 pm

dice wrote:any team that really likes zach that's close to having the money will ship pieces out to get him under the cap. or match salary in a sign and trade if zach tells the bulls he won't play here (please do it, zach!)

Oh, you don't like Zach? I couldn't tell by your indictment of him for helping to poison the entire populace.

Anyway, it's a bad market place to dump salary since very few teams have cap room. Beyond the five teams mentioned which probably aren't ideal if Zach wants to go to a bigger market or better winning situation, the Timberwolves and Kings have about $9 million after their draft picks. They probably don't the capacity or will to get off of $27 million of salary in a league where only three teams have that much cap space.

So it really is those five teams -- Magic, Spurs, Pistons, Grizzlies and Pelicans as options with the Grizzlies and Pelicans really likely to not have the space. And Magic, Spurs and Pistons would have to dump ten million if they get a high draft pick. And if they are bad enough to be drafting that high, why would Zach want to sign there?

It is the player empowerment era of the NBA, but Zach will have a very hard time forcing his way out in this specific market place. And he likely wants to stay despite your hopes and dreams.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#188 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:17 pm

dice wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:
dice wrote:something tells me that a guy who is "super authentic" doesn't drink much if any mountain dew. but he'll sure take that bag in exchange for influencing others to low-grade poison themselves

You need a therapist

you need to wake up to the world around you that you've effectively been innoculated against. we have an obesity epidemic in this country. and believe it or not, it's in significant part because we drink copious amounts of crap like mountain dew. now zach lavine is part of the problem. him being great at putting a ball in a basket and wearing laundry that you like doesn't change that

seriously, you tell ME i need a therapist instead of the sad fellow weirdly celebrating some dope's mountain dew contract? because THAT's :crazy:

and wtf does "i can't wait to show fans of mountain dew what i'm all about" even mean? someone in the marketing dept. of mountain dew clearly wrote that word salad crap

this reminds me of Grant Hill

DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#189 » by DuckIII » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:18 pm

dice wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:
dice wrote:something tells me that a guy who is "super authentic" doesn't drink much if any mountain dew. but he'll sure take that bag in exchange for influencing others to low-grade poison themselves

You need a therapist

I’m an alcoholic. I don’t blame Corona or Jack Daniels or P. Diddy or anyone else in an alcohol marketing game that makes soft drink marketing look like local radio ad time. Mountain Dew ain’t marketing itself as a health drink. It markets is self as a sugar rush, caffeine fueled soda. People then decide.

And if this wasn’t Lavine you would not have said a word.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM

Post#190 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:24 pm

gf2020hotmail wrote:
dice wrote:any team that really likes zach that's close to having the money will ship pieces out to get him under the cap. or match salary in a sign and trade if zach tells the bulls he won't play here (please do it, zach!)

Oh, you don't like Zach? I couldn't tell by your indictment of him for helping to poison the entire populace.

nope. only the dumbasses who are influenced by anything that zach lavine does
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#191 » by Stratmaster » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:29 pm

detlef_schrempf wrote:
dice wrote:

Read on Twitter

You need a therapist
You're my hero

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#192 » by Stratmaster » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 pm

DuckIII wrote:
dice wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:
You need a therapist

I’m an alcoholic. I don’t blame Corona or Jack Daniels or P. Diddy or anyone else in an alcohol marketing game that makes soft drink marketing look like local radio ad time. Mountain Dew ain’t marketing itself as a health drink. It markets is self as a sugar rush, caffeine fueled soda. People then decide.

And I thought all my heroes were dead and gone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
dice
RealGM

Post#193 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 pm

DuckIII wrote:
dice wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:
You need a therapist

I’m an alcoholic. I don’t blame Corona or Jack Daniels or P. Diddy or anyone else in an alcohol marketing game that makes soft drink marketing look like local radio ad time.

as well you shouldn't. there's NOBODY to blame for your alcoholism other than your creator (if you believe in that sort of thing). it's innate. but there's a difference between alcohol, which CAN be enjoyed responsibly by most people without any adverse effects whatsoever, and soft drinks, which are simply bad for people. cigarettes offer fleeting short-term benefits as well. but you don't see celebs endorsing those anymore. for good reason

and no, nobody who is influenced by zach lavine's marketing should blame him either. they are idiots. that doesn't mean that lavine is justified in promoting it. nor is it justifiable to defend his selfishness. "everybody else is doing it" ain't any more valid an excuse when large amounts of money are involved than it is when a child succumbs to peer pressure

Mountain Dew ain’t marketing itself as a health drink. It markets is self as a sugar rush, caffeine fueled soda. People then decide.

that's right. and i have zero problem with mountain dew existing. i have a problem with some celebrity being weirdly feted for promoting it. particularly when it's in such a blatantly phony fashion

false. i'm sick and tired of marketing and those who are celebrated for their junk "brands." and i've talked about it on this site multiple times before. nice try. keep trying for that "gotcha"
dice
RealGM

Post#194 » by dice » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:42 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:

You need a therapist
You're my hero

says the guy who blocks people who point out his illogic and then passive-aggressively trolls them via 3rd party posts. sick stuff

and by they way, i've been chastised and even suspended by mods for saying far less about people. but hey, i dare to say negative things about zach lavine, so i'm fair game for your ilk. that's the way things go on this site. years of team failure have resulted in a pathetic level of wishful-thinking homerism that have reduced bulls fans to resembling knicks fans
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man

Post#195 » by gf2020hotmail » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:25 am

dice wrote:says the guy who blocks people who point out his illogic and then passive-aggressively trolls them via 3rd party posts. sick stuff

and by they way, i've been chastised and even suspended by mods for saying far less about people. but hey, i dare to say negative things about zach lavine, so i'm fair game for your ilk. that's the way things go on this site. years of team failure have resulted in a pathetic level of wishful-thinking homerism that have reduced bulls fans to resembling knicks fans

Your vitriol is clearly about Zach. If you actually had a moral objection to marketing soda or the media coverage or promotion of it, how could you even watch the NBA which has had a deal with Pepsi taking their blood money since 2015 and Coca Cola before that and names trophies and contests about it. It's kind of offensive to pretend like you care about people's health problems when it's about Zach and otherwise consume and engage with the sport that does the same thing you decry. I'd rather be a Knicks fan than that big of a hypocrite. But totally, thanks for your courageous truth telling.

Anyway, Zach probably has incentives in his Mountain Dew deal dependent on market size, which should also help the Bulls retain him. No one was weirdly feting Zach about it. There was a tweet from a press release and someone pointed out it was maybe Klutch getting it done, all relevant to Zach's Impending Free Agency.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#196 » by Grodoboldo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 am

This thread is starting to feel like Lauri's cursed one.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,930

Post#197 » by Axl Rose » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 am

Grodoboldo wrote:This thread is starting to feel like Lauri's cursed one.

I missed how Lauri became such a pariah on here :lol: I guess his fanboys drove everyone mad?
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#198 » by chifan1798 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:22 am

dice wrote:
detlef_schrempf wrote:
You need a therapist

I think the therapist remark was a response to a culmination of your remarks on this board. Someone could post a photo of adorable puppies, and you’d find some way to come up with a negative comment. It’s definitely something to be explored.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#199 » by coldfish » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:04 pm

This thread is going off the rails. Please keep it about the players, team and topic at hand and not other posters. If you don't like what someone has to say about the Bulls to the point where it bothers you, just put them on ignore.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man

Post#200 » by gf2020hotmail » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 am

Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports Zach "could" be a target of the Celtics.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/11/sports/chris-bosh-chris-webber-have-taken-different-paths-hall-fame/

A potential Celtics free agent target could be Chicago’s Zach LaVine, who is entering the final year of his contract. He will have to prove he can lead the Bulls to the playoffs before a contract extension. LaVine changed representation recently and signed with Klutch Sports, which is usually the move for players who want to maximize their free agent potential. LaVine, 26, just coming off helping Team USA to the gold medal, will ask for a maximum contract in the open market. The Olympic experience may have enhanced LaVine’s value because he was asked to be a three-and-D player, sparking the Americans with his full-court defense and ability to run the floor. In the case that Bradley Beal decides to stay in Washington, LaVine could be the Celtics’ No. 1 target. The Bulls, who added DeMar DeRozan and Lonzo Ball in the offseason, have full intentions to be a factor in the Eastern Conference.

This just reads as speculation and confusing speculation at that. It is odd the article doesn't mention how Klutch Sports can skunked Boston in the past, nor that the Celtics don't have any cap room next off-season by their own choice.

If Zach was forcing his way to Boston in a sign and trade, which seems unlikely, the Bulls would have to take back like nearly 30 million in contracts for the deal to work. Are the Bulls really trading Zach to a team with no leverage for 1 or 2 mediocre first round picks while also having to take on bad salary like Horford and Richardson? That might just let Zach walk in that scenario since they wouldn't want to be paying only five or six million below the luxury tax for a team taking a pretty massive step back in the event Zach was leaving.

Beal makes a little more sense because it's likely the force out would be happening during this season and the Wizards would have more flexibility to take on bad contract and be more willing to be bad because they're not paying someone like DeMarr. Plus, him and Tatum are very close. This just seems like Bill Simmons east coast elitist thinking where everyone wants to play for the Celtics even though the opposite if often true.

Return to Chicago Bulls