ImageImageImageImageImage

Lebron: Raps should retire Derozan’s jersey

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should #10 be retired for the Raptors?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 190

RapsFan2000
Junior
And1: 233

Re: Lebron: Raps should retire Derozan’s jersey 

Post#101 » by RapsFan2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 am

Yes, they definitely should. The Cavs should also retire Delonte West's jersey .. GOAT.
RapsFan2000
Junior
And1: 233

Post#102 » by RapsFan2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:06 am

Yes, they definitely should. The Cavs should also retire Delonte West's jersey .. GOAT.
CANsportsguru
Pro Prospect
And1: 522

Post#103 » by CANsportsguru » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:00 am

I voted No. While his importance of a Raptor not in question he's not a HOF player nor warranted of such an honor of having his jersey retired. To me the only player that should have his jersey retired is Lowry. Carter would also be ahead of DD.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#104 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:05 am

The Raps did more for DD than he ever did for them, and the championship was won because the team played nothing like anything he was about, but I think it will happen eventually or the team will look bad(to players). After Kyle, Bosh, Vince, maybe Embry? Retire one number every 5 years, starting 5 years after Kyle retires? Man I couldn’t stand watching DeMar.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,578

Post#105 » by NeoDragonKnight » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:46 am

I always say, keep the bar really high like the Jays. The Jays have only 2 players jerseys retired, arguably the best second baseman ever in Alomar who has 2 rings and truck loads of other awards including an MVP (and yes i know his jersey has been taken down amid his scandal), and Doc Halladay (RIP) who was the best pitcher the Jays ever had and was loyal to the Jays to a fault.

The thing is, the most popular Jay, Joe Carter, who has one of the most iconic winning homeruns in baseball history, does not have his jersey retired. Using that as a blue print, where does DeMar sit with those examples? Obviously not Alomars level, he has the loyalty to the city like Doc had, but not the skill level he had. Im not even sure he has Joe Carters accumen. DeMar is maybe more on Bautistas level?

Maybe the Jays have the bar too high, not sure.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,158

Post#106 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:49 am

lol the bitterness towards lebron by some raptors fan. its just an opinion lol. he is in your heads
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#107 » by Mikistan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:57 am

Demar couldnt even win a dunk contest
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,407

Post#108 » by And1+2 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 am

Nah. We should only retire good players.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,348

Post#109 » by tanuki1031 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:04 am

RapsFan2000 wrote:Yes, they definitely should. The Cavs should also retire Delonte West's jersey .. GOAT.

I concur, but only after they retire Delonte's draws for banging Lebron's mom.
CANsportsguru
Pro Prospect
And1: 522

Post#110 » by CANsportsguru » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:11 pm

DD biggest contribution to this team was him being traded for Kawhi Leonard.
Supermann98
Assistant Coach
And1: 648

Post#111 » by Supermann98 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Yes but in no way shape or form before Lowry gets his jersey retired
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#112 » by JN » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:24 pm

I voted no, but I am fine with either scenario.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,921

Post#113 » by JN » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:00 pm

NeoDragonKnight wrote:I always say, keep the bar really high like the Jays. The Jays have only 2 players jerseys retired, arguably the best second baseman ever in Alomar who has 2 rings and truck loads of other awards including an MVP (and yes i know his jersey has been taken down amid his scandal)

When did Alomar win the MVP?

Also Roberto Alomar has no argument as the best second baseman ever, either in more modern times (Post 1960) or since 1900. Jays fans who obviously (and correctly) revered Alomar for his time here, have created this poor narrative.

In modern times (post 1960), there is no good argument to be made for Alomar over Joe Morgan. You will have to search hard to find a baseball historian of note (and you may not find any) who thinks Alomar is better than Morgan.

Joe Morgan had the better career (100 WAR vs 70 WAR). But if we only focus on peak value which I tend to focus on when we consider greatness. Joe Morgan had one of the best 5 year runs in baseball history (at any position!) between 1972-1976. It was truly a historic run.

Roberto Alomar is closer to a Ryne Sandberg than a Joe Morgan. Although I am sure some Cubs fans incorrectly claim the same thing about Ryne Sandberg.

If we go back to 1900 to 1930 we introduce more greats since it was more common at those times to have the top players play second base (Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie)
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,578

Post#114 » by NeoDragonKnight » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:20 pm

JN wrote:
NeoDragonKnight wrote:I always say, keep the bar really high like the Jays. The Jays have only 2 players jerseys retired, arguably the best second baseman ever in Alomar who has 2 rings and truck loads of other awards including an MVP (and yes i know his jersey has been taken down amid his scandal)

Also Roberto Alomar has no argument as the best second baseman ever, either in more modern times (Post 1960) or since 1900. Jays fans who obviously (and correctly) revered Alomar for his time here, have created this poor narrative.

In modern times (post 1960), there is no good argument to be made for Alomar over Joe Morgan. You will have to search hard to find a baseball historian of note (and you may not find any) who thinks Alomar is better than Morgan.

Joe Morgan had the better career (100 WAR vs 70 WAR). But if we only focus on peak value which I tend to focus on when we consider greatness. Joe Morgan had one of the best 5 year runs in baseball history (at any position!) between 1972-1976. It was truly a historic run.

Roberto Alomar is closer to a Ryne Sandberg than a Joe Morgan. Although I am sure some Cubs fans incorrectly claim the same thing about Ryne Sandberg.

If we go back to 1900 to 1930 we introduce more greats since it was more common at those times to have the top players play second base (Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie)

Jeez easy there. Fine he is not the best 2nd baseman ever, but he was definitely ONE of his eras best...is that better?
Alomar won the ALCS MVP in 1992. Regardless, the point is, the bar was set incredibly high.
dj-Sequence
Junior
And1: 118

Post#115 » by dj-Sequence » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:51 pm

For those that say No... I disagree...
The reasons...
Well DD displayed loyalty like no other player that has put on the Raps Jersey...
What people forget it was his leadership that convinced Lowry (GROAT) to loose weight in the off season the same year that he decided to start working on his game the very next day after the season ended (Extremely rare in NBA)... That inspired Lowry's weight loss...
He was the leader of all the young guys to work on their games to be ready so the team would be more successful...His influence affected ( Lowry, Norman, VanVleet, Siakam, Poetl, OG) Since Demar's presence ont the team we had 1 real bust of a player Bruno and that was expected...
The rest as a result of his influence and Lowry's
Pushed these guys to buy in be ready and all blossomed to exceed their potential when drafted...
I believe that Both Lowry and DD jerseys should be retired at the same time...
Granted DD was not on the championship squad
But his influence and footprints were all over the team not just his contract that got us Kawhi...
Without his contribution dedication and influence
On the team we would not have been ready to take that leap for us to be Champs...
I for one believe that despite his shortcomings
He may have been the most important key to our championship...
So yes Retire #10 and # 7 together!!!
dj-Sequence
Junior
And1: 118

Post#116 » by dj-Sequence » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm

For those that say No... I disagree...
The reasons...
Well DD displayed loyalty like no other player that has put on the Raps Jersey...
What people forget it was his leadership that convinced Lowry (GROAT) to loose weight in the off season the same year that he decided to start working on his game the very next day after the season ended (Extremely rare in NBA)... That inspired Lowry's weight loss...
He was the leader of all the young guys to work on their games to be ready so the team would be more successful...His influence affected ( Lowry, Norman, VanVleet, Siakam, Poetl, OG) Since Demar's presence ont the team we had 1 real bust of a player Bruno and that was expected...
The rest as a result of his influence and Lowry's
Pushed these guys to buy in be ready and all blossomed to exceed their potential when drafted...
I believe that Both Lowry and DD jerseys should be retired at the same time...
Granted DD was not on the championship squad
But his influence and footprints were all over the team not just his contract that got us Kawhi...
Without his contribution dedication and influence
On the team we would not have been ready to take that leap for us to be Champs...
I for one believe that despite his shortcomings
He may have been the most important key to our championship...
So yes Retire #10 and # 7 together!!!
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#117 » by Reeko » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 pm

JN wrote:

:lol: This is a man who knows his baseball.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#118 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:56 am

The most important player in franchise history. And arguably NBA
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,256

Post#119 » by canada_dry » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:47 am

Yes. Yes the franchise leader in points and other important stats, that always wanter to be here, should have his jersey retired.

What a novel concept.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#120 » by ThatClockWork » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:02 am

Mikistan wrote:Demar couldnt even win a dunk contest

To be fair, he got robbed by a bad Kia branded Blake Griffin dunk ...
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.

Return to Toronto Raptors