Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is a better player right now?

Kevin Durant
50%
Giannis
50%

Total votes: 341

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,828

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#201 » by nikster » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:I'm still taking KD in a 7-game series, because the ability to score against playoff defense is still the most valuable skill in the game.

I'm going to take the guy who won the finals with a 50 piece over the guy who went 0-5 in overtime of his last series. :D

Pretty sure outplaying LeBron in the Finals is more impressive than scoring a lot of points on a 23 year old Center playing in his first playoffs. But thats just me. :lol:

If Giannis's 2nd best player was Bruce Brown he doesn't win a game in that series or even come close.

Your right it is just you. KD put up similar stats against one of the worst defenses in the league while the defence focused on Curry.

Pretty sure carrying the Bucks to a ring is more impressive then co-leading a 73 win team to their 2nd title in 3 years
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#202 » by Packbuckman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Obviously you rely on ad hominem attacks because you have no argument.

Pathetic.

You want a PF/C to abandon his team's defense and expose Lopez in space to waste his time guarding perimeter players. You don't understand how help D works and you have no idea about the Bucks defensive strategy despite having 7 games of it unfolding in front of you.

You made a claim that Lebron guards the best player when he has avoided doing so for the last dozen years, specifically so he could play off the worst perimeter threat and play help defense. That's where his defensive value lies. That you attempted to use him to prove the exact opposite shows that you don't understand basketball at all and have no idea how to evaluate what you're watching.

I could go on but what's the point. You have had this explained to you by multiple posters over multiple threads and you keep coming back to a very basic one on one understanding of basketball that is, as I said child-like. You should take up a coaching course or something, there's a whole lot that you are missing out on.

What an absurd strawman youve created.

"Waste time" guarding perimeter players. Kevin Durant IS a PF. The guy who was scoring 50 points. Yes the only **** guy that matters of the Nets. And somehow its so crazy for Giannis to guard the exact same position that hes playing?

So you can put an old outmatched PJ Tucker on him? Thats a superior strategy?

How is interior defense such a massive priority when the Nets had no interior scoring. KD was playing the 4 and sometimes the 5. Otherwise it was Blake Griffin.

If the consequence of Giannis guarding KD more is allowing Blake Griffin more drives to the rim I think it would be a sound strategy. That you somehow think was wise.

Beyond that EVEN if I agree that this was the correct strategy. Why do it in the closing minutes? Everyone and their mother knew the only scoring option on the Nets was KD.

Nobody else could make a damn shot if their life depended on it. And yet its so essential that Giannis stays by the rim and guards Jeff Green or Blake Griffin rather than the guy who is playing the same **** position as him :lol:

LeBron always guards the best player in the final possessions which is all I'm saying Giannis should have done. And in his Miami days he would guard the best player for far longer stretches. He literally guarded Derrick Rose in the Bulls series for long stretches of the game.

Last year he was guarding Jamal Murray in the last few minutes. He guarded Durant in the Finals at times. I don't know what fantasy world you live in where LeBron is glued to the interior for the entirety of the game. Even if an opposing player is dropping 50.

"Multiple posters" you mean Bucks fans who are getting butthurt that I'm pointing out Giannis's flaws. Notice how no one else is jumping in. I wonder why. :lol:

Durant is a jump shooter 90% of the time at least in that series he’s a perimeter player no matter what he’s listed as pf Sg or whatever. Giannis can guard the perimeter better than any other big but he’s a true pf that plays down low closer to the basket on both defense and offense. No coach is going to put him guarding the perimeter the whole time that’s just dumb but hey your the expert :roll:
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#203 » by WRau1 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Who exactly was going to punish them at the rim from the Nets?

Blake Griffin lol.

Pretty sure I would want my DPOY on the guy giving us 50. This is the same guy who was scared to guard Jimmy Butler last year too.

Seriously? Do you know what help defense is? Why would the Bucks have Giannis guard KD on the perimeter when he is far more valuable taking away the paint/rim protect (since the Nets took Lopez out), forcing the Nets to have to hit tougher midrange jumpers? Do you know how efficientcy works? Also, what happened to Jimmy Butler this year when the Bucks were able to wedge screens on their 3pt shooters and force Butler to dribble create? Giannis locked him up. You should try watching basketball.

Youre right. It was the Bucks brilliant game plan to have KD score 50 in Games 5 and 7. And just hope that his toe missed the line. Excellent strategy.

Inconceivable that the DPOY could perhaps slow him down a bit instead of 40 year old PJ Tucker.

Bucks run a primarily drop zone defense. The goal is to give up lower percentage shots (3pt and midrange) while protecting the paint, thus forcing the opponent into a bad shot. Once BKN went small and ran Lopez off the floor, Giannis is the only rim protector and the guy the rest of the Bucks funnel their assignments to. So you're brilliant idea is to take the guy who anchors the entire defense (Giannis) and make him follow KD around the perimeter? Are you understanding yet?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#204 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Seriously? Do you know what help defense is? Why would the Bucks have Giannis guard KD on the perimeter when he is far more valuable taking away the paint/rim protect (since the Nets took Lopez out), forcing the Nets to have to hit tougher midrange jumpers? Do you know how efficientcy works? Also, what happened to Jimmy Butler this year when the Bucks were able to wedge screens on their 3pt shooters and force Butler to dribble create? Giannis locked him up. You should try watching basketball.

Youre right. It was the Bucks brilliant game plan to have KD score 50 in Games 5 and 7. And just hope that his toe missed the line. Excellent strategy.

Inconceivable that the DPOY could perhaps slow him down a bit instead of 40 year old PJ Tucker.

Bucks run a primarily drop zone defense. The goal is to give up lower percentage shots (3pt and midrange) while protecting the paint, thus forcing the opponent into a bad shot. Once BKN went small and ran Lopez off the floor, Giannis is the only rim protector and the guy the rest of the Bucks funnel their assignments to. So you're brilliant idea is to take the guy who anchors the entire defense (Giannis) and make him follow KD around the perimeter? Are you understanding yet?

Yes the defensive strategy was stupid. Because there was no legitimate interior scoring threat on the Nets.

Who exactly were the Bucks stopping at the rim? The Nets were playing KD at the 4 and Jeff Green or Blake Griffin at Center.

They almost lost because they couldn't stop KD from dropping 50. If you think thats a smart strategy then you don't understand basketball.

Budz was horrific that series. Nearly lost to half a Nets team. He did improve in the Finals though.

Still made no sense to not put your best defender on the guy scoring all the points for the other team. Giannis should have realize this and demanded to guard him if he was capable.
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,850

Post#205 » by mcmurphy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:06 pm

nikster wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I'm going to take the guy who won the finals with a 50 piece over the guy who went 0-5 in overtime of his last series. :D

Pretty sure outplaying LeBron in the Finals is more impressive than scoring a lot of points on a 23 year old Center playing in his first playoffs. But thats just me. :lol:

If Giannis's 2nd best player was Bruce Brown he doesn't win a game in that series or even come close.

Your right it is just you. KD put up similar stats against one of the worst defenses in the league while the defence focused on Curry.

Pretty sure carrying the Bucks to a ring is more impressive then co-leading a 73 win team to their 2nd title in 3 years

In the 9 PO games with Harden, KD had a TS% of 65%... in the 3 games without Harden (with Kyrie) drop to 56% the TS%... strange
WRau1
RealGM

Post#206 » by WRau1 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Yes the defensive strategy was stupid. Because there was no legitimate interior scoring threat on the Nets.

Who exactly were the Bucks stopping at the rim? The Nets were playing KD at the 4 and Jeff Green or Blake Griffin at Center.

They almost lost because they couldn't stop KD from dropping 50. If you think thats a smart strategy then you don't understand basketball.

Budz was horrific that series. Nearly lost to half a Nets team. He did improve in the Finals though.

Still made no sense to not put your best defender on the guy scoring all the points for the other team. Giannis should have realize this and demanded to guard him if he was capable.

You can argue with Coach Bud however you want about the effectiveness of his defense, I'm telling you what they were doing but you're intentionally being ignorant. You'd be better served not talking NBA here and just go back to your board and continue your conversations on how you guys don't want to get vaccinations.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,920

Post#207 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 pm

WRau1 wrote: You can argue with Coach Bud however you want about the effectiveness of his defense, I'm telling you what they were doing but you're intentionally being ignorant. You'd be better served not talking NBA here and just go back to your board and continue your conversations on how you guys don't want to get vaccinations.

Oh HELLNO. :lol: Sounds about right if true.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,540

Post#208 » by nfmos » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:50 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

It’s crazy how you can’t see how ridiculous this is. Let’s say Hakeems rockets were playing Jordan’s bulls. Obviously Hakeem is his teams best defender, and the bulls didn’t have a offensive threat at center. Should Hakeem had been assigned to guard Jordan?

In your hating on Giannis and worshipping of KD you can’t even see how ridiculous you are sounding.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#209 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:21 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

You can argue with Coach Bud however you want about the effectiveness of his defense, I'm telling you what they were doing but you're intentionally being ignorant. You'd be better served not talking NBA here and just go back to your board and continue your conversations on how you guys don't want to get vaccinations.

What are you even talking about? :lol:
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#210 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:31 pm

nfmos wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

It’s crazy how you can’t see how ridiculous this is. Let’s say Hakeems rockets were playing Jordan’s bulls. Obviously Hakeem is his teams best defender, and the bulls didn’t have a offensive threat at center. Should Hakeem had been assigned to guard Jordan?

In your hating on Giannis and worshipping of KD you can’t even see how ridiculous you are sounding.

I forgot that Hakeem PLAYED THE SAME POSITION as Jordan. What a ridiculous comparison. :lol:
WRau1
RealGM

Post#211 » by WRau1 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:44 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
nfmos wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I forgot that Hakeem PLAYED THE SAME POSITION as Jordan. What a ridiculous comparison. :lol:

But Giannis is a PF/C and you just tried to talk him down for not guarding Butler - SG/SF, last year? I really hope you're just a troll. I was going to explain again in simpler terms, possibly even links to NBA2K so you might understand better but it's just not worth it. Have a fun offseason, we'll see you when our banner is getting raised.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#212 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:17 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
nfmos wrote:It’s crazy how you can’t see how ridiculous this is. Let’s say Hakeems rockets were playing Jordan’s bulls. Obviously Hakeem is his teams best defender, and the bulls didn’t have a offensive threat at center. Should Hakeem had been assigned to guard Jordan?

But Giannis is a PF/C and you just tried to talk him down for not guarding Butler - SG/SF, last year? I really hope you're just a troll. I was going to explain again in simpler terms, possibly even links to NBA2K so you might understand better but it's just not worth it. Have a fun offseason, we'll see you when our banner is getting raised.

I mean the main issue is that he didn't guard KD. You still have no explanation for excuse for the supposed MVP being unable to guard an opposing player at his position.

Instead you're now just pettifogging.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#213 » by Packbuckman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I mean the main issue is that he didn't guard KD. You still have no explanation for excuse for the supposed MVP being unable to guard an opposing player at his position.

Yes Durant is listed as a PF but he’s a perimeter player and plays like he’s a Sg 90 % or more of his shots in that series were jump shots from long range you put Middleton or Tucker on him to contest and Giannis guarding the basket and playing help D any smart coach is doing that my man.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,920

Post#214 » by theFireBlanket » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Giannis guarded Jimmy on the last possession of game 1 ECSF in 2020. Refs gave him a foul for grazing him after the shot was off. How was that not guarding him? Evidently he wanted that matchup. * And he got it this year to start the playoffs, shutting him down during the sweep.

Did you follow the series? He tweaked his ankle in the 1st quarter of game 3 & messed it up more in the same game. Then he destroyed them for the 1st qtr of game 4, jamming everything on his one good leg. Til he gave himself a contusion.

This year Giannis said in a post game presser that he wanted to guard KD. Bud obviously wanted a committee. It worked in game 4. Giannis, Khris, PJ all got blocks on KD. And it kept Giannis fresh for game 7.

It doesn't matter what you think Giannis is obligated to do. He doesn't have to prove anything by & for your opinion. The strategy was enough to will victory. KD couldn't buy a bucket in OT. Kirk Goldsberry posted the stat showing GA has the most success league wide guarding KD on shots. He's had many games to build on that stat. Nothing to prove.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,494

Post#215 » by old skool » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:59 am

Durant is a great player. A great shooter. I can see why anyone would like him over Antetokounmpo. Or vice versa.

But anyone thinking that Durant is a better scorer than Antetokounmpo is living in the past. Ditto for rebounding and assists.

Over the last three seasons (going back an extra year for Durant, as he missed all of 2019-20) here is the leader between Antetokounmpo and Durant in points, rebounds and assists.

Total Points - Antetokounmpo (5,568 points to 4,762 points)
Points per Game - Antetokounmpo (28.4 ppg to 26.3 ppg)

Total Rebounds - Antetokounmpo (2,425 rebounds to 1,208 rebounds)
Rebounds per Game - Antetokounmpo (12.4 rpg to 6.7 rpg)

Total Assists - Antetokounmpo (1,135 assists to 1,018 assists)
Assists per Game - Antetokounmpo (5.8 apg to 5.6 apg)

The last time Durant scored more points per game than Antetokounmpo was in 2016-17, when Antetokounmpo was 22.

The last time Durant scored more total points than Antetokounmpo was in 2015-16, when Antetokounmpo was 21.

Over the last three years:

No player in the NBA has won more games than Antetokounmpo.
No player has won more playoff games than Antetokounmpo.
No player has won more playoff series than Antetokounmpo (and team mates).
No player has won more MVPs than Antetokounmpo.
No player has won more DPOY than Antetokounmpo.
No player has been 1st team All-NBA more than Antetokounmpo.
No player has won more Finals MVPs than Antetokounmpo.

By almost every measure imaginable, no player has been more successful over the last three seasons than Antetokounmpo.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#216 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

Yes Durant is listed as a PF but he’s a perimeter player and plays like he’s a Sg 90 % or more of his shots in that series were jump shots from long range you put Middleton or Tucker on him to contest and Giannis guarding the basket and playing help D any smart coach is doing that my man.

KD was torching both Middleton and Tucker and lighting them up for 50.

I am still confused why Giannis wouldn't be able to help slow him down as the best defender in the NBA. Especially in the last few minutes of the game.

The alternative was what? Put too much attention on KD and allow Blake Griffin to get more shots? Or Jeff Green? Seriously? That really scared you?

Its pure luck that KD's toe was on the line. Not defensive strategy. You don't think it made less sense to have the DPOY on KD rather than freaking PJ Tucker? On the LAST PLAY of the game. When KD was obviously going to take it.

The Bucks did win that series. But just barely. They should have destroyed that depleted Nets team in both games 5 and 7. The talent level wasn't close.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#217 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:25 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:Kirk Goldsberry posted the stat showing GA has the most success league wide guarding KD on shots. He's had many games to build on that stat. Nothing to prove.

Lol then why does he hide behind PJ Tucker in the playoffs?

Kawhi guards Luka when its crunch time or he gets hot. Thats what separates the two.

I would WAY rather have Kawhi on defense than Giannis if hes unable or unwilling to shut down the opposing team's best player.

Even KD was on Giannis in crunch time for several plays. Even though he had to carry the entire offense.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#218 » by Edrees » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 pm

old skool wrote:Durant is a great player. A great shooter. I can see why anyone would like him over Antetokounmpo. Or vice versa.

But anyone thinking that Durant is a better scorer than Antetokounmpo is living in the past. Ditto for rebounding and assists.

Over the last three seasons (going back an extra year for Durant, as he missed all of 2019-20) here is the leader between Antetokounmpo and Durant in points, rebounds and assists.

The last time Durant scored more points per game than Antetokounmpo was in 2016-17, when Antetokounmpo was 22.

The last time Durant scored more total points than Antetokounmpo was in 2015-16, when Antetokounmpo was 21.

By almost every measure imaginable, no player has been more successful over the last three seasons than Antetokounmpo.

Lmao at these last 3. You remind me of clickbait facebook news articles- nice use of wording to try to make your player look better. Giannis is tied with 2 other players in # of DPOY in the last three years, he's tied with a bunch of other players in 1st all team All NBA selections, and he's tied with 2 other players in Final MVPs last three years at a whopping count of just one.

You kind of kill your credibility as a poster when you intentionally try to exaggerate facts like this. Just tell it like it is. Say he has 1 DPOY, 1 Final MVP. Don't say "no player has more than him" If you have to exaggerate or mislead, maybe the credentials don't speak for themselves.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,494

Post#219 » by old skool » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Edrees wrote:
old skool wrote:Durant is a great player. A great shooter. I can see why anyone would like him over Antetokounmpo. Or vice versa.

Lmao at these last 3. You remind me of clickbait facebook news articles- nice use of wording to try to make your player look better. Giannis is tied with 2 other players in # of DPOY in the last three years, he's tied with a bunch of other players in 1st all team All NBA selections, and he's tied with 2 other players in Final MVPs last three years at a whopping count of just one.

You kind of kill your credibility as a poster when you intentionally try to exaggerate facts like this. Just tell it like it is. Say he has 1 DPOY, 1 Final MVP. Don't say "no player has more than him" If you have to exaggerate or mislead, maybe the credentials don't speak for themselves.

This is a conversation about two players. Antetokounmpo and Durant. In the last 3 years Antetokounmpo has a DPOY and Finals MVP. Durant has none. Those two facts alone don't tell a story, but taken with everything else presented they show that no one, including Durant, has accomplished more than Antetokounmpo. That doesn't make Antetokounmpo the best player in the game, but it makes it difficult to dismiss him out of hand because he is a poor shooter or because of how his team defends.

Your assertion that there are "a bunch" of players who have tied Antetokounmpo with 1st team All-NBA team awards in the last three years is wrong. Antetokounmpo is the only player to make every All-NBA 1st team over the last three years. Zero is not "a bunch". (Durant has zero in the last three years).

I compared Antetokounmpo and Durant in points, rebounds and assists. I listed major accomplishments and awards where Antetokounmpo has equaled or exceeded every player in the NBA, including Durant, in order to show his overall level of success. Everything i presented was a fact. Don't denigrate the facts I presented to legitimize some alternate opinion that can't be supported by facts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
WhatTheBuck
Junior
And1: 332

Post#220 » by WhatTheBuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:38 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:I'm still taking KD in a 7-game series, because the ability to score against playoff defense is still the most valuable skill in the game.

I'm going to take the guy who won the finals with a 50 piece over the guy who went 0-5 in overtime of his last series. :D

But he didn't outplay Lebron. He just had the better supporting cast. Unless you want to keep it consistent and admit that Giannis outplayed KD.

Return to The General Board