Simmons demands out and will not report

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Simmons demands out and will not report 

Post#721 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Nate505 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
If he really wants to leave, it kind of is.

Morey is asking for an allstar type player and multiple picks for Simmons. That shows me how the Sixers value Simmons, I don’t think it’s the value that’s the problem, it’s Morey’s unrealistic expectations.

Yeah, I agree there that Morey has to be realistic in his expectations. But at the same time, Simmons tanking his trade value by the way he's acting isn't going to help the situation here. If he really wanted to be traded he would, I don't know, act like a professional, work hard, and then get traded when he shows his value on the court.

Yelling "I WANT TO GET TRADED SO I'M SITTING OUT UNTIL YOU TRADE ME" is a strategy, and it might work, but it might drag the process out further as teams know that they don't have to give up premium assets for a malcontent.
It seems pretty clear that Morey's plan was to wait until another star became available and trade Simmons then. From Simmons perspective, it's clear you don't want me here and I'm not part of the core, I don't have any idea if Beal or Dame will be made available or even if they'll be traded to the Sixers should that occur.

Don't get me wrong, Simmons is paid too much not to honor his contract, but I'm a bit skeptical he'd have higher trade value, in a meaningful sense, even if his camp was quiet and he reported. The fundamental problem is the Sixers waited at least a year too long to trade him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#722 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:24 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
If he really wants to leave, it kind of is.

Morey is asking for an allstar type player and multiple picks for Simmons. That shows me how the Sixers value Simmons, I don’t think it’s the value that’s the problem, it’s Morey’s unrealistic expectations.

Exactly, you get the player/premium pick or the picks, you don’t get both.

Kevin Love netted Andrew Wiggins (R) as the premium asset, Thad Young (FRP moved for him), and Anthony Bennett to make the money work.

Kyrie Irving netted Nets Pick as the premium asset, Jae Crowder/Isaiah Thomas as the secondary asset/salary filler.

James Harden netted 4 FRPs but no premium asset.

George netted 5 FRPs and Gallo as salary filler; but no premium asset.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
PG netted SGA as well, but that was really the Clippers trading for both PG and Leonard because Leonard wasn't coming unless they traded for PG. It was like the Jrue trade. If it results in Giannis signing a 5 year max, you pay the premium. Those are bad comps.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#723 » by hege53190 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:25 pm

sorry hit submit when I didn't mean to.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#724 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 pm

Why not sallow your pride morey and get average shooter and play maker .
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#725 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Why not sallow your pride morey and get average shooter and play maker .

Who are you referring to? If it's some average rotation player then we are definitely better holding out. We have young guys we can groom in the meantime and still make the playoffs pretty easily. There's a better chance of a good return near the trade deadline when teams are pressured to pull the trigger.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,162

Post#726 » by QingJames » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 pm

stormi wrote:
QingJames wrote:
stormi wrote:

Ben's 7-1 in his last 8 games against Boston btw and averages right around his career norms against the Celtics.

There was the one game in the playoffs in Ben's rookie year where he scored a singular point that gets blown out of proportion like it wasn't an extreme outlier. In the other games from that same series he put up:

18/7/6 w/ 2 steals and a block
16/8/8 w/ a steal and 2 blocks
19/13/5 w/ 2 steals
18/8/6

He's also the best wing defender in the league. Boston has been a bad matchup against Philadelphia since 2019 and onwards. Embiid seems to go for 40+ in every single meeting, and Ben is the best wing defender in the league for a team with two 'big' wings that are smaller and slower than him and shoot bunk percentages when he's in their vicinity.

Yeah, Boston is such a terrible matchup against Philly that they routinely slap them in the postseason every time they meet…

It's one playoff series win.

Ben was injured for the entirely of the 2020 playoffs, doesn't count.

This isn't Lebron emasculating the city of Toronto, their fans, and their best ever player for the better part of a decade tier here.

Lebron ran our team, it's true. But no shame losing to the best, and they even got a chip out of it afterward. Not like Philly's resume replete with failure after humiliating failure, and only once to the eventual champions too. Maybe in 20 more years, they'll make another conference finals...
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#727 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:30 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Why not sallow your pride morey and get average shooter and play maker .

I don't rate Simmons that highly, but with that said....they have him under contract for 4 more years. Morey can take his time. I think Simmons is just good enough, that if an actually great player demanded to be moved...most gm's can talk themselves into this being a good deal. Only just 25. I guess you gotta give that some value. 14.3 points, 7 boards and assists isn't exactly "wow material".

Morey needs to actually get something good for him, or he'll be ran out of town. And his strongest card is the 4-year deal. He can afford to wait.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#728 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

I don't rate Simmons that highly, but with that said....they have him under contract for 4 more years. Morey can take his time. I think Simmons is just good enough, that if an actually great player demanded to be moved...most gm's can talk themselves into this being a good deal. Only just 25. I guess you gotta give that some value. 14.3 points, 7 boards and assists isn't exactly "wow material".

Morey needs to actually get something good for him, or he'll be ran out of town. And his strongest card is the 4-year deal. He can afford to wait.

How do they have more time? They are wasting Embiid peak years hes not going play great when hes 30. These are his best years. You got make them count.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#729 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:42 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Who are you referring to? If it's some average rotation player then we are definitely better holding out. We have young guys we can groom in the meantime and still make the playoffs pretty easily. There's a better chance of a good return near the trade deadline when teams are pressured to pull the trigger.

youll need someone who can defend like simmons and can rebound i wouldnt put my all eggs in the Andre Drummond basket for rebounds, you need perimeter defense as well simmons does that very well. I expect the 76ers defense to fall off this year.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#730 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:20 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

How do they have more time? They are wasting Embiid peak years hes not going play great when hes 30. These are his best years. You got make them count.

Not if you trade him away for some average shooter and playmaker, as you said. Your wasting Embiid's career that way as well.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#731 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:30 am

danfantastk32 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:

Not if you trade him away for some average shooter and playmaker, as you said. Your wasting Embiid's career that way as well.

hes not coming back to the team . hes going sit all year. Id say yea hell be back but he might as well be gone .
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,674

Post#732 » by Domejandro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:41 am

I really don't care about Milwaukee Bucks team board drama, but as a moderator of a notoriously hands-off Minnesota Timberwolves forum, we immediately lock the majority of "bumped" topics, because bumps generally come across as goading.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,477

Post#733 » by AussieCeltic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 am

Domejandro wrote:I really don't care about Milwaukee Bucks team board drama, but as a moderator of a notoriously hands-off Minnesota Timberwolves forum, we immediately lock the majority of "bumped" topics, because bumps generally come across as goading.

I don’t know why they’re blocked. It holds people accountable for all the awful hot takes that happen on this board.

Like where would we be without Pharmcats “Steph Curry exposed” or “Giannis just ain’t it” threads if we couldn’t bump them after Curry had an amazing season and Giannis won the chip.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#734 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:52 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I really don't care about Milwaukee Bucks team board drama, but as a moderator of a notoriously hands-off Minnesota Timberwolves forum, we immediately lock the majority of "bumped" topics, because bumps generally come across as goading.

I don’t know why they’re blocked. It holds people accountable for all the awful hot takes that happen on this board.

Like where would we be without Pharmcats “Steph Curry exposed” or “Giannis just ain’t it” threads if we couldn’t bump them after Curry had an amazing season and Giannis won the chip.

Yep. “I had a bad take, moving on,” doesn’t hold me accountable. Most of us just move from one thought to the next. Sadly, It does give you justification to take my uninformed or misguided comments personally and carry the weight of that Indefinitely. It’s not healthy.

If there are people who aggravate you to the point where you are maintaining an independent archive; don’t engage. This is a solid place to pass the time and shoot the **** with fans. Consider that you wouldn’t do those things with the guys at the bar or at work.

Mods locking up the old crap is doing us all a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#735 » by syntax » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:57 am

PlatinumState wrote:
syntax wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:All Im wondering is how is his next team gonna feel when he doesnt wanna shoot open jumpers and doesnt care about improving his o game at all? Is lets say Minnesota gonna tolerate him and how long?
Is he destined to bounce around the league for the rest od his career getting traded every season?
I just cant envision a good scenario and dont get why any team is interested in him

25yo three time all-star and runner up DPOY, I dont get it either. :crazy:

Thats not happening again

Why's that? 3 out of 4 years as an all-star doesn't quite work as an anomoly?
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#736 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:34 am

because their champ window ends with one stupid move. do you not understand they got rid of jimmy bc of simmons?
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#737 » by Clay Davis » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:39 am

There's a difference between locking a thread and deleting it to save face.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#738 » by FrodoFraggins » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Yeah, I agree there that Morey has to be realistic in his expectations. But at the same time, Simmons tanking his trade value by the way he's acting isn't going to help the situation here. If he really wanted to be traded he would, I don't know, act like a professional, work hard, and then get traded when he shows his value on the court.

Yelling "I WANT TO GET TRADED SO I'M SITTING OUT UNTIL YOU TRADE ME" is a strategy, and it might work, but it might drag the process out further as teams know that they don't have to give up premium assets for a malcontent.
It seems pretty clear that Morey's plan was to wait until another star became available and trade Simmons then. From Simmons perspective, it's clear you don't want me here and I'm not part of the core, I don't have any idea if Beal or Dame will be made available or even if they'll be traded to the Sixers should that occur.

Don't get me wrong, Simmons is paid too much not to honor his contract, but I'm a bit skeptical he'd have higher trade value, in a meaningful sense, even if his camp was quiet and he reported. The fundamental problem is the Sixers waited at least a year too long to trade him.

I believe he tried to move him for Harden and no other players became available that he felt were worth giving up Simmons. But it was clear by this past draft that he should have gone for the best offer available rather than holding out for Lillard or Beal being available. That's the kind of mistake Ainge would have made as well.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 519

Post#739 » by FrodoFraggins » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:28 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Simmons doesn't care about boosting his trade value. He'll probably learn from Harden and report out of shape and give minimal effort.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,889

Post#740 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:52 am

It's interesting how after the whole Ben wants out and Maxey is going with him heavy handedness things went pretty much silent. I'd love to hear the messaging behind the scenes as the posturing and jostling and pushing the CBA boundaries likely had the league step in and put a lid on it. Best for both parties for this to not drag into the season. Morey must now realize he can't hold out for Dame or Beal and teams won't give seven picks or whatever away. Not sure which team betting sites give the best odds to in landing Ben, but there's been an all but black out in terms of public posturing which is curious.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to The General Board