ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2701 » by BlueSan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:28 am

But there isn't anything special in the design?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#2702 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:43 pm

BlueSan wrote:But there isn't anything special in the design?

The Dirk shadow is still on the court.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#2703 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:41 pm

JJP wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:No need we have KP Kleber and Powell plus a project in Onu to develop. Brown Boban and Willie are the centers.

Powell isn't a PF. He may play in certain situations with Porzingas, but he will be the center in that case. When Powell is not starting, Porzingas will likely be the center. WCS will come off the bench. Boban will only play short minutes in certain situations.

I'm certain Brown won't see any action early in the season... unless players get hurt.

So the center position will be Porzingas, Powell, and Stein. Mirotic is a straight up power forward. He would be the only natural PF on the roster... unless you want to include DFS as a natural PF.

Powell is garbage at getting rebounds and defending other bigs except for certain PF's.

Brown is a much more effective center on defense and we need to do a lot better job defending the rim so Brown makes more sense and I am sure that the mavs will see that approach as the one they need to use given his production on the boards was proven last season against some pretty tough teams.

We have no use for playing Powell except to use him so we can interest another team in taking him off our hands. The team is win now so we are better served in developing wins for home court positioning and a better defensive effort with Brown at center earlier in the season would lend itself to winning more games than trying to interest another team in our trash.

Donnie and RC are gone so they are not around to play Powell anymore. Kidd will want to play Brown that is why they have Tyson showing him the ropes and working with him to try and develop his game more.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#2704 » by Mavrelous » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:49 am

For short periods in RS and PO, Powell played C on offense and PF on defense next to KP, and it worked really well, the only drawback was less Luka/KP interaction and it was probably one of the reasons KP was frustrated, but Luka loves playing with Powell.
Remeber the Lakers game when they trapped Luka and frustrated the hell out of him, Luka destroyed their defensive schemes with Powell's help, every trap they threw at him, Powell was in the right spot to break it.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#2705 » by LAL1947 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 am

KhalilS wrote:For short periods in RS and PO, Powell played C on offense and PF on defense next to KP, and it worked really well, the only drawback was less Luka/KP interaction and it was probably one of the reasons KP was frustrated, but Luka loves playing with Powell.

Remeber the Lakers game when they trapped Luka and frustrated the hell out of him, Luka destroyed their defensive schemes with Powell's help, every trap they threw at him, Powell was in the right spot to break it.

I agree with that. Also remember the Lakers game cos I was watching it. He did very well.

That being said, I'd love to see Powell replaced on the roster with Jericho Sims. To do the same things on offense at $1m vs $11m, it's a no-brainer. He is bigger, stronger, faster and better built than Powell (so no availability issues)... can defend 1-5 and is a good rebounder too. The Knicks have him on a 2-way contract at the moment. I'm still keeping hope that a trade for Sims is done sooner rather than later in the season, due to Kidd being familiar with Klutch. I'd much rather see Tyson Chandler working with him than Moses Brown, helping him to become a contributor sooner.

That's Precious Achiuwa he dunked on there.

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#2706 » by Mavrelous » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:27 am

Powell is overpaid, we are in full agreement here. Sims is a beast physically, but need to see how this will translate into basketball.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#2707 » by HMFFL » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:49 pm

KhalilS wrote:Powell is overpaid, we are in full agreement here. Sims is a beast physically, but need to see how this will translate into basketball.
Powell will be shopped until he's moved. I expect him to eventually be moved in a three team trade. On the other hand, I hope he proves me wrong, and his game has evolved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#2708 » by Apz » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:54 am

Its the same thibg every year tho. Ppl are so draft/rookie blinded that its not even funny anymore. Abd then they are dissapointed when 95% is outperformed by roleplayers they themselves cobsider overpayed.

Most of the rookies have never played a real basketball game vs opposition that is better then them, so I really doesnt care what the videos look like. Put simms and powell on the floor on same minutes and same opposition and I am sure powell eadily outperforms simms atm. Here is where the "fo we want to win this year or not" comes in. I think we would want to win, but its not realistic yet with the powehouses that exist atm. So yes, I would prefer guys like simms over powell but im not paying 1sts to get rid of powell
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#2709 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:22 am

I don't like Powell (like 99% of Mavs fan) but in the little stint with KP healthy he played good.
And yes, Sims is an undrafted rookie with 0 minutes in NBA, i don't think he can play better than Powell right now. Future? Maybe yes, maybe not.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#2710 » by JJP » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:44 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:
JJP wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:No need we have KP Kleber and Powell plus a project in Onu to develop. Brown Boban and Willie are the centers.

Powell isn't a PF. He may play in certain situations with Porzingas, but he will be the center in that case. When Powell is not starting, Porzingas will likely be the center. WCS will come off the bench. Boban will only play short minutes in certain situations.

I'm certain Brown won't see any action early in the season... unless players get hurt.

So the center position will be Porzingas, Powell, and Stein. Mirotic is a straight up power forward. He would be the only natural PF on the roster... unless you want to include DFS as a natural PF.

Powell is garbage at getting rebounds and defending other bigs except for certain PF's.

Brown is a much more effective center on defense and we need to do a lot better job defending the rim so Brown makes more sense and I am sure that the mavs will see that approach as the one they need to use given his production on the boards was proven last season against some pretty tough teams.

We have no use for playing Powell except to use him so we can interest another team in taking him off our hands. The team is win now so we are better served in developing wins for home court positioning and a better defensive effort with Brown at center earlier in the season would lend itself to winning more games than trying to interest another team in our trash.

Donnie and RC are gone so they are not around to play Powell anymore. Kidd will want to play Brown that is why they have Tyson showing him the ropes and working with him to try and develop his game more.

You're certainly welcome to that opinion. But it's not happening just because you think it should happen.

You have no idea whether Brown is more effective on defense. None. There is no track record other than Youtube. You're a fan for god's sake! Brown has an NBA profile that anyone can find online. No, he's not good on defense. He's lost a lot of the time. Most profiles say he's soft. He can protect the rim from time-to-time, but he has trouble knowing where to be.

The reason he might get playing time is if he comes around and start to get it every play down the court. But that won't happen overnight. He needs to go through some baby steps. No NBA writer or scout would venture the opinion that Brown deserves starter minutes. At least have the good sense to say, "I wish"... or "I think" instead of these throw-away comments like "Kidd will want to play Brown." There's no reason to think that by anybody writing about Brown. He's all potential at this point.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#2711 » by ejs78 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:56 am

JJP wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:
JJP wrote:

You're certainly welcome to that opinion. But it's not happening just because you think it should happen.

You have no idea whether Brown is more effective on defense. None. There is no track record other than Youtube. You're a fan for god's sake! Brown has an NBA profile that anyone can find online. No, he's not good on defense. He's lost a lot of the time. Most profiles say he's soft. He can protect the rim from time-to-time, but he has trouble knowing where to be.

The reason he might get playing time is if he comes around and start to get it every play down the court. But that won't happen overnight. He needs to go through some baby steps. No NBA writer or scout would venture the opinion that Brown deserves starter minutes. At least have the good sense to say, "I wish"... or "I think" instead of these throw-away comments like "Kidd will want to play Brown." There's no reason to think that by anybody writing about Brown. He's all potential at this point.
Look some actually gets it.

The Moses Brown non sense is unreal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#2712 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:35 pm

Agree.
It happens when a team is desperate, after last PO exit Cuban made some statements but at last we made secondary moves with no upside.

We can be optimistic but the result is clear. Another FA failure.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2713 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Any chance the Mavs get in on this? Would they even want Wall? If they do could the Mavs find a way to get both Wall and Wood?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#2714 » by ejs78 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:02 pm

Mr B wrote:Any chance the Mavs get in on this? Would they even want Wall? If they do could the Mavs find a way to get both Wall and Wood?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
I would try and buy low on Gordon as he should be available too. Less money and better shooter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#2715 » by Mavrelous » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Mr B wrote:Any chance the Mavs get in on this? Would they even want Wall? If they do could the Mavs find a way to get both Wall and Wood?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Really hard to match salaries, KP has to be going out and in that case Wood will be included.

KP Powell Green for Wall, Wood and House.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#2716 » by Maverick41 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 pm

KhalilS wrote:Really hard to match salaries, KP has to be going out and in that case Wood will be included.
KP Powell Green for Wall, Wood and House.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

If we can somehow change Josh for Burke or Terry, I'm in on that trade. Understand KP still has the highest upside in the trade but his health and severe defensive regression really scares me. I posted a very similar trade of this a while back on the trade board.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#2717 » by JJP » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 am

The Mavs will not get Wall, but if the Clippers get him, they will have to juggle a lot of pieces. There could be some moving contracts.

Still, at this point, all you can hope for is that some of the re-shuffling will amount to a Clipper player available or bought out. Not much thrill in that.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2718 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:28 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#2719 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:35 am

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well there's your point guard off the bench.

Not much difference from Brunson to be honest. Not a needle moving signing. Does provide some defense.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#2720 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 am

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I personally prefer Exum to Frank but he is a good fit with Luka. Hopefully his 3 continues to improve and he actually shoots them as he tends to be very hesitant offensively.

If we do sign him, then we need to cut someone or make a trade though. Maybe trade incoming?

Return to Dallas Mavericks