Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

FanInTheAttic
Freshman
And1: 27

Re: Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency 

Post#201 » by FanInTheAttic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:16 pm

I also find it embarrassing that Zach decided to become a mascot for something like Mountain Dew. Dude has earned millions and will be earning much much more in the future by just playing basketball, why would you sign a brand deal with Mountain Dew? He doesn't really need the money. Is it because he likes Mountain Dew so much and likes to drink it all day every day between practice and games, yeah right. I'm pretty sure no serious athlete is drinking that crap, why would you want to support and advertise it to others? Tells something about a lack of character. And just for the record, I'm not a Zach hater, I like the kid as a basketball player.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#202 » by kodo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm

gf2020hotmail wrote:This just reads as speculation and confusing speculation at that. It is odd the article doesn't mention how Klutch Sports can skunked Boston in the past, nor that the Celtics don't have any cap room next off-season by their own choice.

If Zach was forcing his way to Boston in a sign and trade, which seems unlikely, the Bulls would have to take back like nearly 30 million in contracts for the deal to work. Are the Bulls really trading Zach to a team with no leverage for 1 or 2 mediocre first round picks while also having to take on bad salary like Horford and Richardson? That might just let Zach walk in that scenario since they wouldn't want to be paying only five or six million below the luxury tax for a team taking a pretty massive step back in the event Zach was leaving.

Beal makes a little more sense because it's likely the force out would be happening during this season and the Wizards would have more flexibility to take on bad contract and be more willing to be bad because they're not paying someone like DeMarr. Plus, him and Tatum are very close. This just seems like Bill Simmons east coast elitist thinking where everyone wants to play for the Celtics even though the opposite if often true.

Agreed it's nothing substantial, but I've read plenty of non-Chicago media saying Lavine is the #1 player his FA class. The idea that teams will target him isn't much of a stretch.

I also think as an agency, part of Klutch's job will be to fill the rumor mill with every possible rumor of Zach leaving for X team to keep his name trending. The worst thing they can do right now would be to say "yeah, Zach is going to take max and stay in Chicago." That just doesn't generate any publicity.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#203 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:41 pm

gf2020hotmail wrote:Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports Zach "could" be a target of the Celtics.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/11/sports/chris-bosh-chris-webber-have-taken-different-paths-hall-fame/

A potential Celtics free agent target could be Chicago’s Zach LaVine, who is entering the final year of his contract. He will have to prove he can lead the Bulls to the playoffs before a contract extension. LaVine changed representation recently and signed with Klutch Sports, which is usually the move for players who want to maximize their free agent potential. LaVine, 26, just coming off helping Team USA to the gold medal, will ask for a maximum contract in the open market. The Olympic experience may have enhanced LaVine’s value because he was asked to be a three-and-D player, sparking the Americans with his full-court defense and ability to run the floor. In the case that Bradley Beal decides to stay in Washington, LaVine could be the Celtics’ No. 1 target. The Bulls, who added DeMar DeRozan and Lonzo Ball in the offseason, have full intentions to be a factor in the Eastern Conference.

This just reads as speculation and confusing speculation at that. It is odd the article doesn't mention how Klutch Sports can skunked Boston in the past, nor that the Celtics don't have any cap room next off-season by their own choice.

If Zach was forcing his way to Boston in a sign and trade, which seems unlikely, the Bulls would have to take back like nearly 30 million in contracts for the deal to work. Are the Bulls really trading Zach to a team with no leverage for 1 or 2 mediocre first round picks while also having to take on bad salary like Horford and Richardson? That might just let Zach walk in that scenario since they wouldn't want to be paying only five or six million below the luxury tax for a team taking a pretty massive step back in the event Zach was leaving.

Beal makes a little more sense because it's likely the force out would be happening during this season and the Wizards would have more flexibility to take on bad contract and be more willing to be bad because they're not paying someone like DeMarr. Plus, him and Tatum are very close. This just seems like Bill Simmons east coast elitist thinking where everyone wants to play for the Celtics even though the opposite if often true.

If the Celtics include Tatum the Bulls might start listening but yeah as a destination it doesn't make a ton of sense. What the Celtics have to offer makes no sense for the Bulls honestly, and they can't clear cap space. If anything they may try to threaten with Lavine to add more heat to the deal with Washington, because that rumor has been going on for a while. They might just be leaking it to tell the Wizards, well we aren't as desperate for Beal as you might think, but in reality they are. AK surely hasn't appeared to be the pushover GM you can bamboozle so far.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#204 » by Stratmaster » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:40 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:I also find it embarrassing that Zach decided to become a mascot for something like Mountain Dew. Dude has earned millions and will be earning much much more in the future by just playing basketball, why would you sign a brand deal with Mountain Dew? He doesn't really need the money. Is it because he likes Mountain Dew so much and likes to drink it all day every day between practice and games, yeah right. I'm pretty sure no serious athlete is drinking that crap, why would you want to support and advertise it to others? Tells something about a lack of character. And just for the record, I'm not a Zach hater, I like the kid as a basketball player.
Have you been watching pro basketball for the last 25 years? Every elite player gets a big endorsement deal.

It's not like he is advertising cigarettes and beer.

LBJ is doing the same thing for PepsiCo and Mountain Dew brand. Does he have a lack of character also?

How about McDonald's? Was it ok for players to endorse McDonald's?

You think players use all the products they endorse "all day, every day"?

Did you know Mountain Dew has a vitamin water type of product? Are you sure that won't be what Zach is promoting? Maybe they are trying to change their branding and move more into the healthy energy drink space?

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#205 » by DuckIII » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:53 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:I also find it embarrassing that Zach decided to become a mascot for something like Mountain Dew. Dude has earned millions and will be earning much much more in the future by just playing basketball, why would you sign a brand deal with Mountain Dew? He doesn't really need the money. Is it because he likes Mountain Dew so much and likes to drink it all day every day between practice and games, yeah right. I'm pretty sure no serious athlete is drinking that crap, why would you want to support and advertise it to others? Tells something about a lack of character. And just for the record, I'm not a Zach hater, I like the kid as a basketball player.

Presumably he took the endorsement due the same reason anyone takes any endorsement. Money. Do you think Shaq is a lifelong customer of The General insurance company and felt so strongly about the quality of their particular insurance contract terms that he felt he just HAD to get the word out?

Also, :lol: .
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#206 » by gardenofsound » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:46 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Presumably he took the endorsement due the same reason anyone takes any endorsement. Money. Do you think Shaq is a lifelong customer of The General insurance company and felt so strongly about the quality of their particular insurance contract terms that he felt he just HAD to get the word out?

I too find it embarrassing that Michael Jordan decided to continue endorsing Gatorade, Hanes, and Nike. He doesn't really need the money. Is it because he likes whitie-tighties so much and likes to wear them all day every day between board meetings and missed playoff appearances? Yeah right. I'm pretty sure no serious human being under the age of 70 is wearing that crap, why would you want to support and advertise it to others? Tells something about a lack of character. And just for the record, I'm not a Michael hater, I like the kid as a basketball player.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,348

Post#207 » by DASMACKDOWN » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 pm

kodo wrote:I also think as an agency, part of Klutch's job will be to fill the rumor mill with every possible rumor of Zach leaving for X team to keep his name trending. The worst thing they can do right now would be to say "yeah, Zach is going to take max and stay in Chicago." That just doesn't generate any publicity.

Basically what you said is everything in a nutshell.

For any star player when it comes to impending free agency, they create some sort of potential drama just so it will be a story.

Its more or less like the Giannis thing. Giannis was like 110% coming back but most of the talk was media driven. The only time something is legit, is when the player actually says he wants out. ie AD and Harden. Everything else is personal opinions and created scenarios.

Honestly the only scenario where Zach would leave, is if the Supersonics returned in Seattle. Maybe one day, but not next year.
The Cult of Personality
FanInTheAttic
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#208 » by FanInTheAttic » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Have you been watching pro basketball for the last 25 years? Every elite player gets a big endorsement deal.

LBJ is doing the same thing for PepsiCo and Mountain Dew brand. Does he have a lack of character also?

Did you know Mountain Dew has a vitamin water type of product? Are you sure that won't be what Zach is promoting? Maybe they are trying to change their branding and move more into the healthy energy drink space?

DuckIII wrote:Presumably he took the endorsement due the same reason anyone takes any endorsement. Money. Do you think Shaq is a lifelong customer of The General insurance company and felt so strongly about the quality of their particular insurance contract terms that he felt he just HAD to get the word out?

gardenofsound wrote:
I too find it embarrassing that Michael Jordan decided to continue endorsing Gatorade, Hanes, and Nike. He doesn't really need the money. Is it because he likes whitie-tighties so much and likes to wear them all day every day between board meetings and missed playoff appearances? Yeah right. I'm pretty sure no serious human being under the age of 70 is wearing that crap, why would you want to support and advertise it to others? Tells something about a lack of character. And just for the record, I'm not a Michael hater, I like the kid as a basketball player.

Yes, I find LBJ or Zion or any athlete to sign an endorsement deal with Mountain Dew embarrassing. I just personally think MD is not good for your health and don't value the product, and I'm pretty sure none of those athletes really do either, so they basically just endorse it for money. I'm not against endorsement in general, I just don't think it is good for these athletes to promote a product like Mountain Dew since so many young (and older) people really look up to these people. I just feel like they are kind of fooling the general public to make a few dollars more. They don't really need the money, and there are many better products they could endorse instead. All this being said, I still appreciate them as basketball players.

And of course I don't mean Zach should be drinking MD all the time to promote it, I was exaggerating and didn't understand it would be taken literally. I will try to be more clear and less triggering in my posts in the future.

I didn't know about Mountain Dew's vitamin water type of product, could you provide a link or a name so I could check what it is about, I couldn't find any info with a quick search.

Why do you all think it is so cool that Zach signed the deal with MD? Do you like to drink MD often and recommend it to your friends and family?

gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#209 » by gardenofsound » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:20 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

DuckIII wrote:Presumably he took the endorsement due the same reason anyone takes any endorsement. Money. Do you think Shaq is a lifelong customer of The General insurance company and felt so strongly about the quality of their particular insurance contract terms that he felt he just HAD to get the word out?

gardenofsound wrote:

Yes, I find LBJ or Zion or any athlete to sign an endorsement deal with Mountain Dew embarrassing. I just personally think MD is not good for your health and don't value the product, and I'm pretty sure none of those athletes really do either, so they basically just endorse it for money. I'm not against endorsement in general, I just don't think it is good for these athletes to promote a product like Mountain Dew since so many young (and older) people really look up to these people. I just feel like they are kind of fooling the general public to make a few dollars more. They don't really need the money, and there are many better products they could endorse instead. All this being said, I still appreciate them as basketball players.

And of course I don't mean Zach should be drinking MD all the time to promote it, I was exaggerating and didn't understand it would be taken literally. I will try to be more clear and less triggering in my posts in the future.

I didn't know about Mountain Dew's vitamin water type of product, could you provide a link or a name so I could check what it is about, I couldn't find any info with a quick search.

Why do you all think it is so cool that Zach signed the deal with MD? Do you like to drink MD often and recommend it to your friends and family?

I think it's cool that he's getting his name out there more, because that gets the Bulls out there more, which can, in turn, increase the revenue that comes in to the Bulls in the form of merchandise sales and TV ad revenue, which in turn makes Zach LaVine more valuable to the Bulls, which--finally I get to the final point--makes it more likely that the Bulls will pay up to retain him. And honestly, it's not like I'm excited. I'm mildly enthused. The reason I think it is "so cool" is because it also validates that him signing with Klutch is about maximizing his endorsement income and not necessarily about colluding with other Klutch players to leave the Bulls and form a superteam elsewhere.

I'm also not looking to Cristiano Ronaldo as any type of role model given some of his off-pitch activities.

I don't think Mountain Dew is any worse than Pepsi. There are a lot of products out there that aren't good for your health, but I'm not going to fault a specific person for endorsing them unless it's next-level egregious. None of these endorsements are espousing the health benefits. It's all about image and branding. Grant Hill was the lead endorser for Sprite for a while in the '90's. Jordan used to rep Coca-Cola. This has been the nature of pro sports pretty much since Jordan/Falk revolutionized the endorsement market into what you see now. And the opportunity cost of a guy like LaVine not doing this ad is high... Mountain Dew is a global brand that is going to pay Zach LaVine for them to mutually try to increase their brand recognizability and enhance their brand images to target certain segments of the market... and in Zach's case, may lead to more endorsement deals as he becomes more recognizable as a fringe NBA star at this point.

Like, yes, sugary drinks are terrible for your health. Not quite smoking level terrible, but yeah, they're pretty bad. It's ultimately up to people to make their own decisions on what products they will and will not buy/consume... as well as the government/FDA to regulate unhealthy products as necessary. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson), George Clooney, Dwyane Wade, and even Scottie Pippen are putting their names on alcoholic beverages with Teremana, Casa Amigos, Wade Cellars, and Digits, respectively.

There aren't many healthy products out there that are getting major endorsements, and I'd argue half of the "healthy" products really aren't all that healthy in the manner they're commonly used.

For example, I'd argue that Gatorade is even worse than Mountain Dew because it's marketed as a health beverage and a water replacement, so lots of people drink it with the belief that it is healthy. The fact is, in very rare circumstance is Gatorade actually the healthier alternative to water.

And whitie-tighties are bad for your testicles. There, I said it.*

*I am not a medical doctor, but my medical doctor told me this so I'm rolling with it.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#210 » by Stratmaster » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

Also, .

gardenofsound wrote:

Lol. Whatever. Your Google skills need work though:

https://www.food4less.com/p/mountain-dew-rise-tropical-sunrise-energy-drink/0001200020635

Mountain Dew exhilarates and quenches with its one of a kind, bold taste. Enjoy its chuggable intense refreshment. Crack open a cold Mountain Dew and refresh your taste buds.

Immune support

Mental boost

180mg caffeine; equal to 2 cups of coffee

25 calories

5% juice

0g added sugar

Contains zinc, Vitamins A & D, and antioxidants

Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#211 » by Red8911 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:42 pm

Since Zach is not re signing we will be hearing rumors from the media all year long that he will be joining another team next summer or traded. Would of been nice if the bulls took care of this from now this is going to be annoying.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#212 » by Red8911 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 pm

FanInTheAttic wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

gardenofsound wrote:

Money talks. MD gave Zach the most and he signed with them. It’s not that hard to believe. You would probably do the same in his position.Also it’s a popular drink, sure it’s unhealthy but still a lot of people love this drink and other sugary sodas. Zach did nothing wrong here.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#213 » by keloms » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:26 am

Red8911 wrote:Since Zach is not re signing we will be hearing rumors from the media all year long that he will be joining another team next summer or traded. Would of been nice if the bulls took care of this from now this is going to be annoying.

It's the price you pay when you've got someone on the team that actually has value.

I agree with the no instant max contract handout for him. Let his play this year decide if he gets it or not. The jury is very much out on the makeup on this team so the less you have to commit to right now, the better.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#214 » by dice » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:51 am

to be fair, pretty much every nba player would do this. that's just the culture. few question it. and you can bet your bottom dollar that their agents, families, everyone else with a hand in their pocket is pushing them to build their "brand" by endorsing as much crap as possible. as for the countless chicagoland children who will become obese diabetics in part because of marketing tactics like this? i wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't even cross the minds of a lot of these athletes. but make no mistake about it: that's what mountain dew is counting on zach lavine to do - help them shift more units to those who are influenced by zach lavine. and that's mostly children

i can't criticize zach lavine any more than i can criticize lebron, zion, bam, jamal murray, JJJ or myles turner, all of whom are on the mountain dew roster. i don't have any reason to believe that any of them are low character individuals. but i'm sure as hell not going to perversely pat them on the back for their latest endorsement deal either
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#215 » by dice » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:01 am

Stratmaster wrote:

again with the "everybody is doing it" argument

there is an astonishing degree of ignorance about how bad regular soda consumption is for a person (oh the power of marketing/lobbying). but hey, when it's the hometown sports star doing the shilling...

https://www.gq.com/story/is-soda-worse-than-cigarettes

and beer is arguably BETTER for you than soda (unless you're an alcoholic, of course). additionally, while drinking a lot of beer won't make you one of the 8 million or so alcoholics in america, drinking a lot of soda can help make you one of the 34 million or so diabetics

saying "at least he's not marketing cigarettes, soda or alcohol" would actually make sense in another context
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#216 » by TheAlanParsons » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 am

I like MD straight or mixed with Pepsi.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,002

Post#217 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:31 am

TheAlanParsons wrote:I like MD straight or mixed with Pepsi.

This how I chug down mountain dews fresh from a bodega's fridge....

right in front of the store owner, clean up on aisle 9
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#218 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 am

You clearly don’t know anything about endorsements.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#219 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:40 am

keloms wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Since Zach is not re signing we will be hearing rumors from the media all year long that he will be joining another team next summer or traded. Would of been nice if the bulls took care of this from now this is going to be annoying.

It's the price you pay when you've got someone on the team that actually has value.

I agree with the no instant max contract handout for him. Let his play this year decide if he gets it or not. The jury is very much out on the makeup on this team so the less you have to commit to right now, the better.

They couldn’t give him max now if they wanted to. And he has already earned it.
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 340

Post#220 » by gf2020hotmail » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Read on Twitter

No direct impact on Zach, but this even more so solidifies this as the worst unrestricted free agent market of all time. With TJ Warren's value in question due to his injury, there is not one quality under the age 30 unrestricted free agent available at a prime position beyond Zach and Beal if he doesn't extend.

I don't think any of the cap space teams were really going to wait on Gordon, but think the overall market makes it more likely the Spurs do something with Lonnie Walker to knock them out of max cap space, where as the Wendell Carter and Jaren Jackson situations seem likely to take a while to figure out next summer with no leverage points unless Carter bites at a low offer, which also helps the Bulls.

Return to Chicago Bulls