homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,567

Re: The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition 

Post#1881 » by homecourtloss » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:18 am

donnieme wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:
Caruso was better last year than every single one of the Lakers’ acquisition and if taking into consideration flexibility and role, better than Westbrook as well. Gasol did very well on a healthy Lakers team and was better than Howard was last year and miles and miles better than DeAndre “DNP-CD” Jordan. To be honest, Caruso, KCP, Gasol, Kuzma, and Schroeder overall probably add more wins than Melo, DAJ, Howard, Ariza, Westbrook.

Stop it.

I was with you, then you went off the rails guy.

Yeah I'm no Westbrook fan but my man HCL def went rogue on that one. I'll try meet him halfway and say I'd take any positive impact contributor over several versions of Westbrook if the goal is to win. Maybe also underestimated Dwight's contribution in 20. Dwight's high point was stopping Jokic and altering Murray on those pnrs that Utah and Clippers couldn't figure out. Gasol meanwhile was caught and skewered by that Payne/Ayton broiler of a pick and roll the Lakers centers couldn't plug. There's a reason he's back. When he wasn't picking up techs he played his role to perfection when it mattered. Both players hiwever got playoff minutes on their teams last season which is more than DAJ can say with the Nets. Terrible replacement.

Anyway I think AD might actually start at C because 'starting' in the Lakers rotation really just means the first 3 minutes of the game, maybe also the last.

In a vacuum, Westbrook is better, but I said “taking into consideration flexibility and role.” Caruso has paired better with James than almost every player James has played with. I do not see the synergy with Westbrook because I’m not sure what Westbrook will do when James has the ball. Maybe he channels some energy into defense. Maybe James has enough juice to get out into transition on par with his usual levels which would make for two different players creating one man fast breaks. I don’t know—I don’t really see it.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,611

Post#1882 » by nzahir » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 am

Greyhound wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Greyhound wrote:Westbrook / Nunn / Rondo
*Monk / *Bazemore / *Ellington
Ariza / *THT
James / Anthony
Davis / Howard / Jordan / (Gasol)

Bold = likely starter locks.
* = Competitors for the starting SG spot.
() = Rights to.

I expect the SG battle to be fierce and the most interesting thing heading into training camp.

———-

All the bellyaching (and displeasure with Pelinka) aside, that seems like a physical, competitive, #1 seed in the west caliber team.

Who is playing the chaser role in that starting lineup?

It seems like Bazemore needs to start or even Nunn (but then we get too small)

If Gasol stays:

Russ/Nunn
Baze (can be Ariza depending on the matchup)/Monk
Lebron/THT
AD/Ariza
Gasol/Dwight

Melo will have some role, especially if Ariza is washed or Monk isn't stepping up

I can sadly see Rondo getting time

I would try to get an upgrade at the 2 or combine a couple guys on the bench for 1 piece

I don't like THT's fit on the team considering we have Lebron, Russ, and now even Rondo

Would rather have a 3 and d guy, barring THT doesn't become a good 3 pt shooter

Whomever wins the starting SG spot between THT, Bazemore or Ellington. In the case of Monk or Nunn, they will defend the starting PG and Westbrook will be tasked with chasing SG’s.

This will be sorted out in training camp.

———-

I don’t think Gasol will be starting, as I do not think he will return. The question is if the Lakers hold onto his rights/slot (I am hoping they do).

Looking at the roster construction, I am all but certain that Davis will start at center, Howard will back him up and Jordan will serve an emergency/insurance big.

Russ needs to defend the ball handler and be a POA defender

He is PUTRID off ball due to being lazy/lack of iq and focus

He can be very good on ball when he wants to be

Our SG needs to be versatile and will be chasing the other guard or guarding the opponents wing while Lebron goes to the easier assignment between the 2/3/4

Unless AD starts at the 5 and Lebron at the 4, that is the situation

THT also needs to only be on ball and he should definitely not even be in the convo to start
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,143

Post#1883 » by donnieme » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 am

homecourtloss wrote:
donnieme wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Stop it.

I was with you, then you went off the rails guy.

Yeah I'm no Westbrook fan but my man HCL def went rogue on that one. I'll try meet him halfway and say I'd take any positive impact contributor over several versions of Westbrook if the goal is to win. Maybe also underestimated Dwight's contribution in 20. Dwight's high point was stopping Jokic and altering Murray on those pnrs that Utah and Clippers couldn't figure out. Gasol meanwhile was caught and skewered by that Payne/Ayton broiler of a pick and roll the Lakers centers couldn't plug. There's a reason he's back. When he wasn't picking up techs he played his role to perfection when it mattered. Both players hiwever got playoff minutes on their teams last season which is more than DAJ can say with the Nets. Terrible replacement.

Anyway I think AD might actually start at C because 'starting' in the Lakers rotation really just means the first 3 minutes of the game, maybe also the last.

In a vacuum, Westbrook is better, but I said “taking into consideration flexibility and role.” Caruso has paired better with James than almost every player James has played with. I do not see the synergy with Westbrook because I’m not sure what Westbrook will do when James has the ball. Maybe he channels some energy into defense. Maybe James has enough juice to get out into transition on par with his usual levels which would make for two different players creating one man fast breaks. I don’t know—I don’t really see it.

ok that def makes some more sense. I'm all in on the Westbrook redemption season but am equally amused by the amount of fans thinking he doesn't need to improve or can win without it. His best jumpshot is the midrange where he shot 38% this past season, has zero offball reading, traded what was left of his defensive awareness years ago to play passing lanes and sag his man to grab rebounds before the shot is even up.

He and Melo have/had some wilding anti-winning intangibles fans just expect the rest of the team to overcome. They aren't winning jack if they carry old habits to the Lakers.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1884 » by nzahir » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:51 am

Would you guys have preferred Boogie over DJ now that Marc is gone?

I rather have had a big that can stretch the floor more and used AB as the vertical threat

Even if we wouldn't use him much, at least we could have that look

Now we just have 2 guys that play similar roles in Dwight and DJ

Anyone else you guys like that is left?

I feel like our wing depth is pretty thin.

Not much left though. Ennis and RHJ are the only guys who are even somewhat viable during an emergency/injury situation
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,725

Post#1885 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am

nzahir wrote:Would you guys have preferred Boogie over DJ now that Marc is gone?

I rather have had a big that can stretch the floor more and used AB as the vertical threat

Not much left though. Ennis and RHJ are the only guys who are even somewhat viable during an emergency/injury situation

Honestly, AD playing the 5 full-time is the only thing that really changes the calculus here. The thing about the stretch 5 option is you need it most with the starters - the bench lineups should have pretty good shooting - and Cousins isn't a guy you want to be starting either.

They seem to be trying to recreate the JaVale/Dwight dynamic, but apart from the fact that JaVale provided a lot more energy and bounce than DAJ does now, the overall roster is fundamentally different. Not that the spacing was amazing before but at least you had LeBron mostly on ball and two guards spotting up around him. I don't see that approach working nearly as well with Russ as the starting PG.

I am a bit surprised Ennis is still out there, he must be worth a flyer at the minimum.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1886 » by nzahir » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:39 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
nzahir wrote:Would you guys have preferred Boogie over DJ now that Marc is gone?

Honestly, AD playing the 5 full-time is the only thing that really changes the calculus here. The thing about the stretch 5 option is you need it most with the starters - the bench lineups should have pretty good shooting - and Cousins isn't a guy you want to be starting either.

They seem to be trying to recreate the JaVale/Dwight dynamic, but apart from the fact that JaVale provided a lot more energy and bounce than DAJ does now, the overall roster is fundamentally different. Not that the spacing was amazing before but at least you had LeBron mostly on ball and two guards spotting up around him. I don't see that approach working nearly as well with Russ as the starting PG.

I am a bit surprised Ennis is still out there, he must be worth a flyer at the minimum.

I just don't see how the spacing works with Russ and starring a traditional 5

At least Gasol could hit the open 3 (41% on catch and shoot last year), but he would only shoot wide open ones and was even hesitant at times on open ones

Not sure if there are an decent cheap C options who can hit the 3

Dedmon or Gorgui are a couple cheap options

Boogie isn't great, but I feel like he should be just as good as DJ and he would be a better fit I think

What would your starting 5 be if we start Dwight/DJ and what would it be if AD starts at the 5
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,725

Post#1887 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 am

nzahir wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

I just don't see how the spacing works with Russ and starring a traditional 5

At least Gasol could hit the open 3 (41% on catch and shoot last year), but he would only shoot wide open ones and was even hesitant at times on open ones

Not sure if there are an decent cheap C options who can hit the 3

Dedmon or Gorgui are a couple cheap options

Boogie isn't great, but I feel like he should be just as good as DJ and he would be a better fit I think

What would your starting 5 be if we start Dwight/DJ and what would it be if AD starts at the 5

I expect them to start with:

DAJ
AD
LeBron
Bazemore
Russ

My preference would be:

AD
LeBron
Ariza
Bazemore
Russ
Greyhound
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Post#1888 » by Greyhound » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 pm

nzahir wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
nzahir wrote:Who is playing the chaser role in that starting lineup?

It seems like Bazemore needs to start or even Nunn (but then we get too small)

If Gasol stays:

Russ/Nunn
Baze (can be Ariza depending on the matchup)/Monk
Lebron/THT
AD/Ariza
Gasol/Dwight

Melo will have some role, especially if Ariza is washed or Monk isn't stepping up

I can sadly see Rondo getting time

I would try to get an upgrade at the 2 or combine a couple guys on the bench for 1 piece

I don't like THT's fit on the team considering we have Lebron, Russ, and now even Rondo

Would rather have a 3 and d guy, barring THT doesn't become a good 3 pt shooter

Whomever wins the starting SG spot between THT, Bazemore or Ellington. In the case of Monk or Nunn, they will defend the starting PG and Westbrook will be tasked with chasing SG’s.

———-

I don’t think Gasol will be starting, as I do not think he will return. The question is if the Lakers hold onto his rights/slot (I am hoping they do).

Looking at the roster construction, I am all but certain that Davis will start at center, Howard will back him up and Jordan will serve an emergency/insurance big.

Our SG needs to be versatile and will be chasing the other guard or guarding the opponents wing while Lebron goes to the easier assignment between the 2/3/4

THT also needs to only be on ball and he should definitely not even be in the convo to start

The definitive manner in which you speak is rather amusing. Such and such is incapable of doing this. Such and such cannot do that.

Training camp will give an opportunity to flesh things out. Players such as THT could improve (theoretically), considering he is only 20 years old. I am not ready to determine what he cannot do at this point.

Whoever wins that starting shooting guard spot will have earned it in camp. If that is THT, then there are things he will have to show in order to do so.

I am aware of Westbrook’s reputation defensively. I am also hopeful that his improved ability on that end is part of the compromise that was discussed. I will take a wait and see approach with Westbrook in terms of what he can and cannot do.

If the Lakers play big with Howard, Davis and LeBron in the lineup alongside Westbrook, his rebounds will plummet most assuredly. Perhaps that excess energy can be allocated towards defensive focus.

Let’s just see how it comes together.
Don't believe the hype...
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1889 » by nzahir » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:14 am

Greyhound wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Greyhound wrote:

———-

The definitive manner in which you speak is rather amusing. Such and such is incapable of doing this. Such and such cannot do that.

Training camp will give an opportunity to flesh things out. Players such as THT could improve (theoretically), considering he is only 20 years old. I am not ready to determine what he cannot do at this point.

Whoever wins that starting shooting guard spot will have earned it in camp. If that is THT, then there are things he will have to show in order to do so.

I am aware of Westbrook’s reputation defensively. I am also hopeful that his improved ability on that end is part of the compromise that was discussed. I will take a wait and see approach with Westbrook in terms of what he can and cannot do.

If the Lakers play big with Howard, Davis and LeBron in the lineup alongside Westbrook, his rebounds will plummet most assuredly. Perhaps that excess energy can be allocated towards defensive focus.

Let’s just see how it comes together.

I am speaking based on THT from last year with a small improvement on 3 point shooting and a decent improvement to off ball defense

Sure if the guy becomes a 40% 3 pt shooter, go ahead and start him

Russ is almost 33 years old, not really expecting him to magically improve there, but lets see

His on ball defense can be very good when he is focused and not forced to carry an offense.

So I am actually expecting very good defense from him on ball this year
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#1890 » by Mos_Heat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:26 am

This team has a weird mix of low ceiling in the regular season and also low ceiling in the playoffs because of AD and Westbrook
:reporter:
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1891 » by nzahir » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:This team has a weird mix of low ceiling in the regular season and also low ceiling in the playoffs because of AD and Westbrook

I think we have a high ceiling in both the regular and postseason, likely more so in the regular season as Russ plays with energy and effort (at least on the offensive end)

I can see us winning it all because we put so much pressure on the rim and we have a solid mix of shooting, shot creation, and defense if we use the right lineups

But we could also crater come playoff time due to the weird fits and bad spacing and I wouldn't be surprised

Also, **** the Drummond signing

It was so bad that it also effected this season by causing Gasol to get pissed off

I would like a stretch big or a 4/5, but just not many options right now
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,577

Post#1892 » by Kingdibs19 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Caruso has become so overrated on RealGM
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#1893 » by Mos_Heat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:49 pm

nzahir wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:This team has a weird mix of low ceiling in the regular season and also low ceiling in the playoffs because of AD and Westbrook

I think we have a high ceiling in both the regular and postseason, likely more so in the regular season as Russ plays with energy and effort (at least on the offensive end)

I can see us winning it all because we put so much pressure on the rim and we have a solid mix of shooting, shot creation, and defense if we use the right lineups

But we could also crater come playoff time due to the weird fits and bad spacing and I wouldn't be surprised

It was so bad that it also effected this season by causing Gasol to get pissed off

Their starting 5 in the regular season will struggle with Westbrook, AD at the 4 and another big. In the playoffs Westbrook will eat up a lot of possessions which will lower the ceiling of playoffs Lebron. At least that's how i see it
:reporter:
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1894 » by nzahir » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
nzahir wrote:

Their starting 5 in the regular season will struggle with Westbrook, AD at the 4 and another big. In the playoffs Westbrook will eat up a lot of possessions which will lower the ceiling of playoffs Lebron. At least that's how i see it

With no stretch big, I am expecting AD to step up and play way more 5 and consider even starting at the 5 in some games (if he isn't a full time starter at the 5)

In the playoffs I wouldn't expect Russ to have more possessions than the regular season vs minute played

Yes he will have more possessions b/c he will play more, but I don't expect him to have to try and carry an offense

My fear is not having a plan when AD or Bron get doubled/heavy hedging

The plan better not be Russ settling for 3s, hoping to see some off ball screens and cuts

AC was a good screener, sucks he is gone

Monk can cut well I have seen when he gets overplayed
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,143

Post#1895 » by donnieme » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 pm

nzahir wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:
nzahir wrote:I think we have a high ceiling in both the regular and postseason, likely more so in the regular season as Russ plays with energy and effort (at least on the offensive end)

With no stretch big, I am expecting AD to step up and play way more 5 and consider even starting at the 5 in some games (if he isn't a full time starter at the 5)

In the playoffs I wouldn't expect Russ to have more possessions than the regular season vs minute played

Yes he will have more possessions b/c he will play more, but I don't expect him to have to try and carry an offense

My fear is not having a plan when AD or Bron get doubled/heavy hedging

The plan better not be Russ settling for 3s, hoping to see some off ball screens and cuts

AC was a good screener, sucks he is gone

Monk can cut well I have seen when he gets overplayed

That's a problem Russ's teams haven't actually solved in the playoffs. He's going to shoot if dared, he should do so, shouldn't actually be a bad thing, you don't want another Ben Simmons as there's only so much backdoor screening one can do, problem is, he sucks so much at it, even wide open and isn't much better finishing if his guy camps in the paint.

He also isn't like the other superstars who can finish layups efficiently under duress. Think in the playoffs Curry is a better contested finisher in the paint, which is insane when you think about how often people call Curry a one trick pony in Westbrook comparisons.

This is the year Russ has to level up his scoring, ironically now more than ever because of how much defense AD has started to draw in the past year. The bubble performance rewrote the scouting report on letting AD get his. Even Lebron has adapted to spot up shooting when AD gets doubled in the post.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#1896 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Post#1897 » by Homer38 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

Post#1898 » by Greyhound » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Homer38 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He and AD played very well off of one another at the World championships some years back.
nzahir
RealGM

Post#1899 » by nzahir » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Jake Fischer: Rich Paul was telling other agents at the Chicago combine that LeBron and AD were sliding to the 4 and 5

This is good news, DJ or Dwight should only start (maybe) vs a few teams, such as PHI or Denver

1 of Bazemore/Ariza
1 of Monk/Ellington?

Could throw Nunn in there if needed, but he makes more sense off the bench as a secondary ball handler. Wouldn’t mind if he closed games though

Would hope Rondo doesn’t really play as there’s a logjam already
Greyhound
Lead Assistant

The LeBron Thread 2021 Off-Season Edition 

Post#1900 » by Greyhound » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 pm

nzahir wrote:Jake Fischer: Rich Paul was telling other agents at the Chicago combine that LeBron and AD were sliding to the 4 and 5

This is good news, DJ or Dwight should only start (maybe) vs a few teams, such as PHI or Denver

1 of Bazemore/Ariza
1 of Monk/Ellington?

Could throw Nunn in there if needed, but he makes more sense off the bench as a secondary ball handler. Wouldn’t mind if he closed games though

Would hope Rondo doesn’t really play as there’s a logjam already

This was obvious, just by looking at the roster construction.

I have been saying it for weeks.

Return to Player Comparisons