ImageImageImageImageImage

What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes - Backcourt Edition 

Post#61 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:34 pm

Celo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:I seriously think McBride gets a lot of burn this season. He looked too good not to.

McBride will play. I think he is going to be really good and has the tenacity to push through obstacles and grab himself some time when either Rose or Kemba need time off.

I’m relishing the thought of McBride in the backcourt and Mitch under the basket anchoring a blistering defense.

To me, at least for now, Mcbride's a player who needs to play next to Kemba or Rose, not when one of them is missing time. Why? Because he doesn't offer enough playmaking and/or rim pressure, so he wouldn't be able to play to his strengths. Only realistic way would be if RJ takes the next step in that regard, that would make McBride a reliable option as PG on paper at least.

I've said it before, to me Rookie McBride will be a situational player. Crucial defensive possessions, if we want to exhaust the opposing PG because Deuce is hounding him for 94 feet or whatever, you name it.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Give him as much run in the G-League as possible. Make him have the ball in his hands, set a threshold regarding drives to hoop he needs to reach on a game to game basis and see, if there's some untapped potential. Because right now, we have to many of those guys who aren't primary ballhandlers and therefore playing them together may not be a good idea. For example the sl backcourt of IQ and Deuce, I don't see them sharing the floor together at all this season except for garbage time maybe.[/quote]

I agree with you guys. I think IQ is going to hold down those backup SG minutes behind RJ and Thibs isn't going to "mess with the rotation", while McBride winds up grabbing the PG minutes when Kemba or Rose rest/get hurt.

McBride has an "it" factor. He's physical, wants to play defense, is good at it, and has a more well rounded offensive game than IQ. So, IQ's edge would be "superior PG play" over McBride, and he doesn't have that. IQ is "ok" at PG in small doses. I'm not saying McBride is way better at PG than IQ, not at all, but just enough where combined with the other two, I think he gets the nod. Also, Thibs wanting to maintain rotations is a factor, not a putdown on IQ.

I think Grimes will be good as well, but his path is taking minutes from Burks, or Burks getting hurt, which will also probably happen, since Burks tends to miss games in his career.
Nbabrothers
Senior
And1: 203

Post#62 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:32 pm

KnickMan wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Is it me or are we getting more fair weather these days?

Dude I have been following this team since the days of Frazier and Reed so you can stuff the fair weather bs. I said one of the best "overall" back courts and I stand by that, especially if Walker and Rose can stay relatively healthy. I always have to laugh at dudes who think they know so much and actually know very little.

Yeah, the Real GM’s here like to laugh at posts, lock posts and criticize posts. I’m glad you stood up for yourself!
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,133

Post#63 » by Fat Kat » Thu Sep 9, 2021 8:08 am

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,254

Post#64 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:00 am

One staple of the Knicks offense last season was Bullock screening for Randle behind the three-point line, which forced opposing defenses to switch, thus creating a mismatch for Randle (or an open 3 for Bullock a lot of the time if they didn't switch).

It was a brilliant play.

It will be interesting to see if Thibodeau runs that play again with Fournier screening for Randle this time. Bullock's quick release was big in executing the play when Randle went pass.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#65 » by -YogiBiz- » Thu Sep 9, 2021 12:03 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:One staple of the Knicks offense last season was Bullock screening for Randle behind the three-point line, which forced opposing defenses to switch, thus creating a mismatch for Randle (or an open 3 for Bullock a lot of the time if they didn't switch).

It was a brilliant play.

It will be interesting to see if Thibodeau runs that play again with Fournier screening for Randle this time. Bullock's quick release was big in executing the play when Randle went pass.

Also adding Kemba to the starting line up adds a different element to this play. Fournier can either pass to his PG, RJ, create a different shot versus an off balance defender, or just shoot.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#66 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:20 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:One staple of the Knicks offense last season was Bullock screening for Randle behind the three-point line, which forced opposing defenses to switch, thus creating a mismatch for Randle (or an open 3 for Bullock a lot of the time if they didn't switch).

It was a brilliant play.

Also adding Kemba to the starting line up adds a different element to this play. Fournier can either pass to his PG, RJ, create a different shot versus an off balance defender, or just shoot.

Yeah, I'd like to think that either Fournier or Kemba make this play much better, considering they are many other things they could do off that play besides pull up for 3, which is all Bullocks could do.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#67 » by Zenzibar » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 am

spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#68 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:26 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

2:30 mark lol
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#69 » by Zenzibar » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:

It was a brilliant play.

Yeah, I'd like to think that either Fournier or Kemba make this play much better, considering they are many other things they could do off that play besides pull up for 3, which is all Bullocks could do.

What I'm starting to envision and like is that we'll have not one, but 2 penetrating and elite, short pullup shooters.
Players like IQ, Julius, JR, Burks, Fournier will get a sucked-in defense and lotsa of open looks. Additionally and if hopefully McBride learns the drive and pullup nuances of these HOF and all-stars, we may have landed our future point guard in training.

Dogs, I'm already psyched for year 2 Duece!

Return to New York Knicks