Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Re: Free Agency: Dwight, Ellington, Ariza, Melo, Monk, Baze sign 

Post#481 » by scoobs07 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 pm

ROballer wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Okay, at this point. I'm down to putting Anthony at the 5. Older. Stronger. But can force 5s to guard him out to the perimeter. But those particular games, adjust with length

No need to overthink it. Melo will play at the 4 if we do it logically and start Davis.

I see people still saying both Jordan and Howard will play, which doesn't make any sense IMO. Those are minutes that can be more valuable distributed to our plethora of wings, which are way better and more impactful players than Jordan at this point.
One or two will not play already because we are stacked, now you're going to take away more minutes from them?

If Jordan plays, Ariza/Anthony/THT/Monk/Bazemore/Ellington lose minutes because Davis and Lebron slide down a spot each in the lineup.

If Jordan doesn't play, it's easy. Davis starts at C and Lebron at PF. Howard backs up Davis straight up and with Davis and Lebron not playing PF and SF respectively, it opens up more minutes for the players mentioned above.

I don't see the infatuation with Davis not playing C or as few minutes as possible there. He said he'd do it for months now. Both he and Lebron are on record saying they will play PF and C now with Westbrook on board, Vogel is on record saying we will try to play at a faster pace to accomodate Westbrook's game(essentially saying the same thing, Lebron/Davis frontcourt).

What's the issue here? Is it Davis' health? Because AFAIK, he's injury prone and missed a ton of games more seasons than not while playing at PF. I don't think the position is a factor here, it's just the way he's built.

The C position is almost dead, there's almost nobody in the league who can inflict damage and punish him in the paint. And there's no C in the league who can guard him at the other end.
Agreed 100%. All signs point to AD playing center and Lebron at the 4, unless Carmelo earns the starting PF spot, then I guess Lebron stays at the 3?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#482 » by TylersLakers » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:11 am

I’m fascinated to see what this rotation is. I think we’re going to go back to the days of the championship season as far as approach in the front court.

My guess for what Vogel does:

Westbrook/Nunn
Ellington/THT
LeBron/Bazemore
AD/Melo/
Jordan/Howard

What I would do:

Westbrook/Nunn
Ellington/THT
Bazemore/Ariza
LeBron/Melo
AD/Howard
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,279

Post#483 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:11 pm

scoobs07 wrote:
ROballer wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Okay, at this point. I'm down to putting Anthony at the 5. Older. Stronger. But can force 5s to guard him out to the perimeter. But those particular games, adjust with length

No need to overthink it. Melo will play at the 4 if we do it logically and start Davis.

I see people still saying both Jordan and Howard will play, which doesn't make any sense IMO. Those are minutes that can be more valuable distributed to our plethora of wings, which are way better and more impactful players than Jordan at this point.
One or two will not play already because we are stacked, now you're going to take away more minutes from them?

If Jordan plays, Ariza/Anthony/THT/Monk/Bazemore/Ellington lose minutes because Davis and Lebron slide down a spot each in the lineup.

If Jordan doesn't play, it's easy. Davis starts at C and Lebron at PF. Howard backs up Davis straight up and with Davis and Lebron not playing PF and SF respectively, it opens up more minutes for the players mentioned above.

I don't see the infatuation with Davis not playing C or as few minutes as possible there. He said he'd do it for months now. Both he and Lebron are on record saying they will play PF and C now with Westbrook on board, Vogel is on record saying we will try to play at a faster pace to accomodate Westbrook's game(essentially saying the same thing, Lebron/Davis frontcourt).

What's the issue here? Is it Davis' health? Because AFAIK, he's injury prone and missed a ton of games more seasons than not while playing at PF. I don't think the position is a factor here, it's just the way he's built.

The C position is almost dead, there's almost nobody in the league who can inflict damage and punish him in the paint. And there's no C in the league who can guard him at the other end.
Agreed 100%. All signs point to AD playing center and Lebron at the 4, unless Carmelo earns the starting PF spot, then I guess Lebron stays at the 3?

Acquiring DJ, Howard, Rondo,Melo, heck maybe even Rondo are good moves but this team has zero chance of winning if AD is not healthy. I am ALL FOR AD playing center it makes perfect sense esp with spacing issues, but that shoulder concerns me. Valanciunas, Adams, Nurkic, Jokic, Gobert etc are huge players who play very physical underneath. If AD doesn't get hurt then I am fine with it.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#484 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Totally agree. Its as if folks haven't been watching. AD limps if the ball boy touches him. Playing AD at the 5 consistently is a movie weve all seen before. And the movie ends with him on the sideline.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#485 » by ROballer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:50 pm

You're contradicting yourself in the same **** row. Embarrasing.
If he gets hurt while touched by the ball boy, it doesn't really matter what position he plays, does it now?
He played 90% of his career as a 4, with another big alongside him for this exact same reason. Still missed a ton of games each year.
There's no protecting his ass, you can't protect glass. It is what it is at this point.

I can't wait for the season to start already to not see these takes again. Lebron said it, AD himself said it, Vogel said it...the roster construction definitely say it. AD plays C most of the game, that's the play this year.

Yet you know better than all of em.

Right.

If you think a Westbrook/Lebron/Davis/ Jordan or Howard is a good lineup in 2022, you need to hit up the 2005 tapes, you don't understand today's game. There's no spacing there. And good luck on D with Jordan/Howard when they get switched onto Currys/Lillards/Ja's/Lukas/Pauls of the West.

That's the game gentlemen. You don't get that. You act like AD will be defending C's non stop when in reality, it's a switch everything league. More often than not he'll end up defending the other team's PG, which he's waaay more qualified in doing than Howard/Jordan.

Anything more than 15-16 mins a game in which Howard or Jordan play is a disaster waiting to happen.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#486 » by TylersLakers » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:16 pm

Playing the 5 nowadays means nothing.

For games against Denver, Philadelphia, New Orleans, etc - you just play him at the 4 and start Dwight. That's it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#487 » by Kilroy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 pm

My thing with AD is in sports, you tend to get hurt more when you don't commit to playing at your top level... "Taking it easy" is often a recipe for injury.
So I wonder if AD not committing to playing the 5 (his best position) is actually the injury problem.
I also think, based on the media posts and stuff I saw last summer, that AD spent pretty much all last summer and part of the season high, and out of shape... Understandable... I probably would too... But I think that had a lot to do with his durability issues last season.
If we have an elite perimeter game, AD won't be getting doubled and banged around as much inside...

And unless you want Westbrook to be our 6th man, you can't have AD at the 4, and expect to have any real perimeter game...

So as much as you may want to protect AD, there isn't really any way to do it with Westbrook on the court, and at the end of the day, 'protecting him' may actually be doing the opposite.

If we still had Marc with his deadly outside shot, maybe it could work, but that ship has sailed... DaJ and Howard aren't going to do it... And Melo won't be much help with big bodies...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#488 » by Kilroy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:26 pm

TylersLakers wrote:Playing the 5 nowadays means nothing.

For games against Denver, Philadelphia, New Orleans, etc - you just play him at the 4 and start Dwight. That's it.

And even with those matchups, I still don't think you need AD at the 4 other than maybe Phily...

The thing is, we've been so used to focusing 80% of our effort on D, that we've forgotten how much pressure an elite offense can put on a team... Westbrook, LeBron, AD and whoever our 2 best shooters are this month, will force teams to counter us, rather than us worrying about sliding AD to another position...
Embiid is probably too much for AD, and Howard used to be able to mess with his head a little... So maybe you go there for that team. But I think you try to force Denver and NOP to adjust to our offense rather than trying to ford Davis to the 4.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#489 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 am

ROballer wrote:You're contradicting yourself in the same **** row. Embarrasing.
If he gets hurt while touched by the ball boy, it doesn't really matter what position he plays, does it now?
He played 90% of his career as a 4, with another big alongside him for this exact same reason. Still missed a ton of games each year.
There's no protecting his ass, you can't protect glass. It is what it is at this point.

I can't wait for the season to start already to not see these takes again. Lebron said it, AD himself said it, Vogel said it...the roster construction definitely say it. AD plays C most of the game, that's the play this year.

Yet you know better than all of em.

Right.

If you think a Westbrook/Lebron/Davis/ Jordan or Howard is a good lineup in 2022, you need to hit up the 2005 tapes, you don't understand today's game. There's no spacing there. And good luck on D with Jordan/Howard when they get switched onto Currys/Lillards/Ja's/Lukas/Pauls of the West.

That's the game gentlemen. You don't get that. You act like AD will be defending C's non stop when in reality, it's a switch everything league. More often than not he'll end up defending the other team's PG, which he's waaay more qualified in doing than Howard/Jordan.

Anything more than 15-16 mins a game in which Howard or Jordan play is a disaster waiting to happen.

You have words and emotion. I'm using verifiable proof.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#490 » by DNP-Old » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:49 am

LAL signed Cameron Oliver to an exhibit-10 contract. Good size, supposed to be a very good athlete...Hope springs eternal.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#491 » by Kilroy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Cacok signed a deal with the Nets apparently. I thought he was locked up, but no tragedy.
Lakers24gm
Junior
And1: 118

Post#492 » by Lakers24gm » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:42 am

Lakers signed Cam Oliver to exhibit 10 deal. His stats in college were extremely intriguing. 16 points 8 rebounds 2.6 blocks and 38% from 3. 6 foot 8 with those stats could stick around.
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#493 » by DNP-Old » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 pm

I would like to see Tyler Bey get a camp deal from LAL, if/when he clears waivers.

edit: signed 2-way with Houston

DNP-Old
Senior

Post#494 » by DNP-Old » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Would like to see LAL add Oturu to the camp roster as well.

edit: signed camp deal with Bulls

DNP-Old
Senior

Post#495 » by DNP-Old » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:52 pm

Congrats to Austin Reaves!

I assume with Reaves' 2-way contract being converted to a standard contract that LAL is done; with Brown, McClung and Oliver now fighting for the 2nd 2-way.

zuju
Senior
And1: 120

Post#496 » by zuju » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 am

How many 6'5" or lower guards do the lakers want on the squad ?

I expect them to sign a 6"8-6"10 wing who can play both forward position , better off little time at C, and guarding the bigger wings in the NBA. Just like Morris or Kuzma last season.

Not very happy with this signing with regard to the team structure.

Reaves is good and hopefully can develop and contribute like how Caruso did. Again, the logjam in the guard position may actually hinders his on court development.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,924

Post#497 » by zimpy27 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:19 pm

zuju wrote:How many 6'5" or lower guards do the lakers want on the squad ?

I expect them to sign a 6"8-6"10 wing who can play both forward position , better off little time at C, and guarding the bigger wings in the NBA. Just like Morris or Kuzma last season.

Not very happy with this signing with regard to the team structure.

Reaves is good and hopefully can develop and contribute like how Caruso did. Again, the logjam in the guard position may actually hinders his on court development.

LeBron, Ariza, Melo are all SF/PF
Bazemore, THT, Reaves are all SG/SF
Davis is the only PF/C
Nunn is the only PG/SG

Ellington, Monk are SG only
Westbrook, Rondo are PG only
Howard, Jordan are C only

I think final spot should be a PF/C or just left to wait for buyouts..
The empty two-way spot is probably more likely to be filled.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
DNP-Old
Senior

Post#498 » by DNP-Old » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:00 pm

LAL has signed Trevelin Queen to a camp deal.

loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#499 » by loveshaq786 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:54 am

I wish lakers trade westbrook, deandre.... For hield, barnes and Tristan

That would be soooo amazing!!!!!

They'll get some tax relief and some tenacity for their young gaurds
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Re: Free agents: update singed Dwight, Ellington, Ariza lose Caruso 

Post#500 » by Mamba Mentality » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:55 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Noodlesoop wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:Like I said yesterday...what a **** joke of a offseason, I knew this was going to be a trainwreck the minute we traded for Westbrook.

You’re painfully negative. At a least wait until the roster is complete before constantly moaning.

We gonna keep playing this game? I was told the same thing yesterday and both Rudy and Patty (both guys that Laker fans were confident we'd get) decided to sign elsewhere. Outside of DD there isn't really any other guy other there that moves the needle for me, and even his fit is questionable at best on this team.

Hate to be that guy. But I warned all you guys that this team would be a joke the second we traded for Westbrook. Anyone who didn't see that immediately and thought the rest of the roster could make up for his shortcomings was flat out being ignorant.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers