Simmons demands out and will not report

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Re: Simmons demands out and will not report 

Post#741 » by djsunyc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:03 am

watching him back in philly, playing at home, will be fascinating.
charlie_brown
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#742 » by charlie_brown » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:07 am

djsunyc wrote:watching him back in philly, playing at home, will be fascinating.

DNP: Too scared to shoot to face the boos
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,538

Post#743 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
If he really wants to leave, it kind of is.

Morey is asking for an allstar type player and multiple picks for Simmons. That shows me how the Sixers value Simmons, I don’t think it’s the value that’s the problem, it’s Morey’s unrealistic expectations.

Exactly, you get the player/premium pick or the picks, you don’t get both.

Kevin Love netted Andrew Wiggins (R) as the premium asset, Thad Young (FRP moved for him), and Anthony Bennett to make the money work.

Kyrie Irving netted Nets Pick as the premium asset, Jae Crowder/Isaiah Thomas as the secondary asset/salary filler.

James Harden netted 4 FRPs but no premium asset.

George netted 5 FRPs and Gallo as salary filler; but no premium asset.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thomas was a premium asset, if healthy. It became later know he was permanently damaged (and Altman for some weird reason decided to go on with the trade...)

George netter Shai as well

Harden could have netted a premium player and some picks, but the Rockets decided to maximize on the picks.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#744 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Morey is asking for an allstar type player and multiple picks for Simmons. That shows me how the Sixers value Simmons, I don’t think it’s the value that’s the problem, it’s Morey’s unrealistic expectations.

Exactly, you get the player/premium pick or the picks, you don’t get both.

Kevin Love netted Andrew Wiggins (R) as the premium asset, Thad Young (FRP moved for him), and Anthony Bennett to make the money work.

Kyrie Irving netted Nets Pick as the premium asset, Jae Crowder/Isaiah Thomas as the secondary asset/salary filler.

James Harden netted 4 FRPs but no premium asset.

George netted 5 FRPs and Gallo as salary filler; but no premium asset.

Thomas was a premium asset, if healthy. It became later know he was permanently damaged (and Altman for some weird reason decided to go on with the trade...)

George netter Shai as well

Harden could have netted a premium player and some picks, but the Rockets decided to maximize on the picks.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

He wasn’t though. The injury was known, he was in the last year of his contract, and the determined difference in value between Thomas and an unavailable Thomas was a 2nd round pick.

evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#745 » by evilpimp972 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:32 pm

syntax wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:All Im wondering is how is his next team gonna feel when he doesnt wanna shoot open jumpers and doesnt care about improving his o game at all? Is lets say Minnesota gonna tolerate him and how long?
Is he destined to bounce around the league for the rest od his career getting traded every season?
I just cant envision a good scenario and dont get why any team is interested in him

25yo three time all-star and runner up DPOY, I dont get it either. :crazy:

Why sixers don't want that 3xAll Star DPOY level player? I wonder :)
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#746 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm

FrodoFraggins wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Why not sallow your pride morey and get average shooter and play maker .

Who are you referring to? If it's some average rotation player then we are definitely better holding out. We have young guys we can groom in the meantime and still make the playoffs pretty easily. There's a better chance of a good return near the trade deadline when teams are pressured to pull the trigger.

Simmons doesn't care about boosting his trade value. He'll probably learn from Harden and report out of shape and give minimal effort.

That's not what I meant- theres very little chance Simmons even plays for us. That's why I mentioned grooming the young guys. Simmons can rot on the bench.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#747 » by Snakebites » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:21 pm

Honestly I would love nothing more than for the Sixers to be just as good without him.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#748 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Why not sallow your pride morey and get average shooter and play maker .

Who are you referring to? If it's some average rotation player then we are definitely better holding out. We have young guys we can groom in the meantime and still make the playoffs pretty easily. There's a better chance of a good return near the trade deadline when teams are pressured to pull the trigger.

youll need someone who can defend like simmons and can rebound i wouldnt put my all eggs in the Andre Drummond basket for rebounds, you need perimeter defense as well simmons does that very well. I expect the 76ers defense to fall off this year.

Thybulle is a great defensive replacement and was rarely able to share the court with Ben because of their offensive limitations. As long as we have Embiid our defense will be elite. I'm not worried about rebounding- Joel and Tobi will take care of the boards (and Drummond off the bench).

Obviously the idea is to eventually get a return for Ben, but like I said we'll still easily make the playoffs in the meantime so we don't need to jump the gun.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#749 » by Dan Z » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Yeah, I agree there that Morey has to be realistic in his expectations. But at the same time, Simmons tanking his trade value by the way he's acting isn't going to help the situation here. If he really wanted to be traded he would, I don't know, act like a professional, work hard, and then get traded when he shows his value on the court.

Yelling "I WANT TO GET TRADED SO I'M SITTING OUT UNTIL YOU TRADE ME" is a strategy, and it might work, but it might drag the process out further as teams know that they don't have to give up premium assets for a malcontent.
It seems pretty clear that Morey's plan was to wait until another star became available and trade Simmons then. From Simmons perspective, it's clear you don't want me here and I'm not part of the core, I don't have any idea if Beal or Dame will be made available or even if they'll be traded to the Sixers should that occur.

Don't get me wrong, Simmons is paid too much not to honor his contract, but I'm a bit skeptical he'd have higher trade value, in a meaningful sense, even if his camp was quiet and he reported. The fundamental problem is the Sixers waited at least a year too long to trade him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

One problem is that a year ago the Sixers hired a new coach and GM and they both needed time to evaluate the roster.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,782

Post#750 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Simmons to the Raptors
Go Raps!!
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,203

Post#751 » by Quentin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:36 pm

How long is this drama going to continue? Training camp is coming up and (if he's not all in) that may set a bad tone for the Sixers upcoming season.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
the_flash__
Sophomore
And1: 395

Post#752 » by the_flash__ » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:47 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Simmons to the Raptors

Ew, no.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#753 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
FrodoFraggins wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Simmons doesn't care about boosting his trade value. He'll probably learn from Harden and report out of shape and give minimal effort.

That's not what I meant- theres very little chance Simmons even plays for us. That's why I mentioned grooming the young guys. Simmons can rot on the bench.

yea that's lot money to rot ,be interesting to se what they do but asking for all star talent seems like pie in the sky dream at this point. I mean buddy and bagley and 1st maybe the most the 76ers can get. Which wouldn't be bad since you need more shooting in this league.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#754 » by HotelVitale » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:55 pm

Dan Z wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Nate505 wrote: Yeah, I agree there that Morey has to be realistic in his expectations. But at the same time, Simmons tanking his trade value by the way he's acting isn't going to help the situation here. If he really wanted to be traded he would, I don't know, act like a professional, work hard, and then get traded when he shows his value on the court.

Yelling "I WANT TO GET TRADED SO I'M SITTING OUT UNTIL YOU TRADE ME" is a strategy, and it might work, but it might drag the process out further as teams know that they don't have to give up premium assets for a malcontent.
It seems pretty clear that Morey's plan was to wait until another star became available and trade Simmons then. From Simmons perspective, it's clear you don't want me here and I'm not part of the core, I don't have any idea if Beal or Dame will be made available or even if they'll be traded to the Sixers should that occur. Don't get me wrong, Simmons is paid too much not to honor his contract, but I'm a bit skeptical he'd have higher trade value, in a meaningful sense, even if his camp was quiet and he reported. The fundamental problem is the Sixers waited at least a year too long to trade him.
One problem is that a year ago the Sixers hired a new coach and GM and they both needed time to evaluate the roster.

It's also just hindsight nonsense. The Sixers had no pressing reason to trade him last year--he missed the PO in 2020 and then the team revamped itself to focus on shooting (which worked really well) and no one had seen him play with a healthy and focused Embiid and Harris and shooters, and there was really no reason why that couldn't have worked in theory. The Sixers also did try hard to trade him for Harden, so they were clearly interested for the right price--and there was no reason at all to think that they needed to take the weaker Brogdon-TJ Warren type offers then.

As for his value falling off suddenly, no one could've foreseen all of these things happening all at once: the Sixers having an epic collapse in game 4 and then not beating a team that was worse than them, Simmons starting to have those unprecedented FT woes, then having a disastrous last 4 games, and then the media choosing to really focus everything on him. Everything was going pretty well right up until all of those things happened over the course of like 6 days. If Embiid or Harris had hit a few more jumpers and the Sixers beat the Hawks and then lost to MIL, or if Simmons hadn't mind-f'd himself and started bricking every FT, or if he played whatever in the last couple 4th quarters (instead of totally disappearing), then the Sixers would've been coming into the offseason in a very good spot to try to trade Simmons.

If you're arguing that the Sixers should've known Simmons would disappear in the PO again, there's really no reason the Sixers would know that and no one else would. Right?
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#755 » by Pointgod » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:51 am

Can Maxey play point guard or is he exclusively a SG?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#756 » by whatisacenter » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 am

Pointgod wrote:Can Maxey play point guard or is he exclusively a SG?

how can someone who calls themselves Pointgod ask this question???
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,345

Post#757 » by Sane » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:40 am

It's so sad that ESPN is so lazy that it decides to focus this much on one player who is going through mental struggles.

There are so many stories worth talking about even in this quiet part of the offseason. I'm not a fan of Simmons at all, but I'm a bit fed up with how much focus this is getting and there comes a time when you say the media is bullying someone in the pursuit of content.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,259

Post#758 » by John Murdoch » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:15 am

How much protection would Minny put on the 1st?
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#759 » by Deadpool Raptor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:40 am

Sane wrote:It's so sad that ESPN is so lazy that it decides to focus this much on one player who is going through mental struggles.

There are so many stories worth talking about even in this quiet part of the offseason. I'm not a fan of Simmons at all, but I'm a bit fed up with how much focus this is getting and there comes a time when you say the media is bullying someone in the pursuit of content.

That's why they get paid the big bucks. They are pros.

As long as they are not going after personal life/family, their game is the story.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#760 » by DusterBuster » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:15 am

Read on Twitter
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to The General Board