For NBA fans that are 35 or older!

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,731

Re: For NBA fans that are 35 or older! 

Post#61 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Iā€™d really love to see hard nosed hand checking defense allowed back in the NBA.

It would separate the boys from the men.
Go Raps!!
goattted
Freshman
And1: 80

Post#62 » by goattted » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:17 pm

nbc theme and bob costas
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#63 » by Lalouie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 pm

i'm too old to remember

word of caution. take your b12 daily after 50yrs of age
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#64 » by JasonStern » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm

NBA can't play ball like they used to, but they have their ways. One trick the NBA pulls now is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Oklahoma City. I wanted to see what the Shawn Kemp fuss was about. So I decided to go to Seattle, which is what they called Oklahoma City in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of Magic Jordan on 'em. "Gimme five MJs for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the CBA lockout. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#65 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Not 35, but nearly 35

I miss motion offences. I miss the Triangle, Flex, Princeton, offences that result in the most pure basketball play - the backdoor cut for an open layup. Offences that don't require a player that dribble the air out of the basketball for 20 seconds.

I hate that defences aren't allowed any physicality outside of the post, that has flow on effects on requiring a switching perimeter defence. I hate offences that call for non-stop picks and having the defence switch until you get a 1v1 mismatch you can exploit, all for a 30ft step back jumper. I hate that analytics have resulted in Moreyball copycats.

But most of all, I hate not seeing any variety of basketball styles.

I gave the AND1, but to me the two best offensive players last year (Jokic, Curry) led motion offenses of different sub-types, and I think teams that are blindly trying to follow ball-dominant heliocentrism are chasing something that's clearly sub-optimal compared to what else is out there.

So I don't think we're actually seeing everyone play offense the same way, despite the fact that certain things are too valuable to not do (like shooting 3's) and certain things are too limiting to be competitive with short of having an extreme outlier talent (interior volume scoring).

I guess that's why I like watching those two teams but far too many high pick, drive and kick being credited for great basketball. Players as a whole shoot better than they ever have but I'll go a different route than your typical handcheck toughness argument. You speak to older players who actually could shoot and they speak of an nba where shooting a 3 had to be justified and explain the next time you go to the bench, concepts like not shooting unless there's a rebounder in place, guys being told to constantly slow the pace down. I think some players would have a hard adjustment but some players would've loved todays nba.

We talk so often about how across the board players from one era would dominate or could an old player play well. I often wonder if while using only players from a specific era, which ones mightve done better in a different era while the opposite does worse. For example you take a Bulls team of the 90s (everybody gets to come) and move them closer to our era........could a scenario emerge where Kukoc is better than Horace Grant, where Pippen is better than Jordan.

Could RunTMC be better than the 90s Knicks in 2010? If you took today's NBA and dropped it in 2000, would the Jazz be the best team in the league? Is it possible players you feel are marginal now might have more value than a better current peer?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#66 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:11 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:Not 35, but nearly 35

I miss motion offences. I miss the Triangle, Flex, Princeton, offences that result in the most pure basketball play - the backdoor cut for an open layup. Offences that don't require a player that dribble the air out of the basketball for 20 seconds.

I hate that defences aren't allowed any physicality outside of the post, that has flow on effects on requiring a switching perimeter defence. I hate offences that call for non-stop picks and having the defence switch until you get a 1v1 mismatch you can exploit, all for a 30ft step back jumper. I hate that analytics have resulted in Moreyball copycats.

But most of all, I hate not seeing any variety of basketball styles.

I gave the AND1, but to me the two best offensive players last year (Jokic, Curry) led motion offenses of different sub-types, and I think teams that are blindly trying to follow ball-dominant heliocentrism are chasing something that's clearly sub-optimal compared to what else is out there.

So I don't think we're actually seeing everyone play offense the same way, despite the fact that certain things are too valuable to not do (like shooting 3's) and certain things are too limiting to be competitive with short of having an extreme outlier talent (interior volume scoring).

I guess that's why I like watching those two teams but far too many high pick, drive and kick being credited for great basketball. Players as a whole shoot better than they ever have but I'll go a different route than your typical handcheck toughness argument. You speak to older players who actually could shoot and they speak of an nba where shooting a 3 had to be justified and explain the next time you go to the bench, concepts like not shooting unless there's a rebounder in place, guys being told to constantly slow the pace down. I think some players would have a hard adjustment but some players would've loved todays nba.

We talk so often about how across the board players from one era would dominate or could an old player play well. I often wonder if while using only players from a specific era, which ones mightve done better in a different era while the opposite does worse. For example you take a Bulls team of the 90s (everybody gets to come) and move them closer to our era........could a scenario emerge where Kukoc is better than Horace Grant, where Pippen is better than Jordan.

Could RunTMC be better than the 90s Knicks in 2010? If you took today's NBA and dropped it in 2000, would the Jazz be the best team in the league? Is it possible players you feel are marginal now might have more value than a better current peer?
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#67 » by gp2015 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 am

Started watching when NBA on NBC was on. I would sit on my ass every Sunday afternoon and watch every double/triple header that came on.

Favourite teams at the time were Bulls of course and the Supersonics with Kemp and Payton.

Hate the 'modern" NBA players that fish for fouls like Harden and Trae and the fact that you can't play defense anymore because of this.

The NBA needs to find a better balance between the defensive eras in 80s/90s and now the super high-scoring modern era. Way too many games just devolve into 3 point shooting contests.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#68 » by Got Nuffin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:22 am

I started really paying attention to NBA ball as a kid when the Bulls went through the Knicks to face Barkley's Phoenix Suns in the finals (whatever year that was). Great time to start watching imo. Loved Kevin Johnson's speed and grittiness. Despised Jordan who at the time I thought was overhyped (well, i was wrong lol). Most of all loved the hard nosed, physical Knicks who had underdog rags to riches stories like Starks and Mason on the roster.

Like others have already noted, miss the hand checking and physical defence which often led to more intense rivalries and real passion in a lot of games. Also as mentioned, the different styles of play - just of that era you had the Bulls running a motion offence, the Suns who were run and gun with offensive weapons everywhere, Knicks who liked to play games with scores in the 80s, Jazz who ran pick'n'roll to death every gam, Nuggets who ran what seemed like a free for all offence, the trapping Payton Sonics etc. etc. etc.

I don't think it's just nostalgia at all either as I would completely disagree with anyone who says the skill level (aside from post play) and athleticism hasn't improved 100% since then, and players today are simply better conditioned and just.. generally better.

It's the rules of the game that made the product more entertaining though. I'd love to see the NBA move back to some of the more FIBA-like traditional rules.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,509

Post#69 » by DoctorX » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:39 am

I'm 38 and started watching the league way back during the '91-'92 season. Blazers vs Bulls was my first NBA finals.

1. I miss the physical defensive style of play of the mid 90's up until '05. Even though the defensive rules were changing during the early '00s there was still a lot of room to be physical. It seems like every year after '05 physical play kept on getting phased out that by the time the 2010's started you weren't allowed to be physical on defense anymore.
2. The 2010s killed rivalries. I still remember how even during the '00s you had rivalries with Spurs-Lakers,Spurs-Mavs,Spurs-Suns, Lakers-Kings, Lakers-Blazers. In the 2010's you had Spurs-Thunder for a brief minute and Warriors-Cavs up until Durant joined the Warriors but outside of that you really didn't have any major rivalries.
3. I miss how every team used to have a different style of play. '00 Spurs were grind out team, while the '00 Suns were a run gun squad, '00 Mavs with Dirk were a shooting team, Pistons grind out team with the Wallaces, '00s Lakers with Kobe-Shaq were an inside-out team. Now everybody plays pretty much the same type style with the 3 point shooting which I hate.
4. Post up game is not as big as it used to be. Granted I feel Jokic,Embiid,Gianis all 3 of those guys are now bringing it back from the dead.
5. I hate load management.
6. Social media has made these current stars more hateable. To be fair I believe social media would have made guys more hateable during the 90's and '00s.
7. I hate the super teams.
8. I don't know why I feel this way but I used to go to a lot of Hornet games as a teenager and a young adult since I live in Charlotte and a NC native. Going to games is just not as fun as it used to be. Hornets have an even more exciting team with their additions but I don't feel like going to Spectrum. I just like to be at home and watch the games. I guess maybe I'm just satisfied since I got to go to a lot of games sitting courtside back when tickets used to be very cheap and affordable.
9. I think youtube, social media has just given me an NBA overload that it's hard to get excited about the league like I did when I was younger. I still remember how when I was growing up during the 90's you had to grab magazines to find out information about your team, and watch ESPN religiously hoping to get a highlight of your team or hear some rumor. Now that's not the case anymore.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#70 » by Joshyjess » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 am

Lalouie wrote:i'm too old to remember

word of caution. take your b12 daily after 50yrs of age

My wife has me on a whole regiment of vitamins and probiotics. At least I think she does! :lol:
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#71 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:10 am

I preferred Sloan's team running plays to Quinn's read and react offense. Read adn react just seems boring to me. Obviously the Jazz still run plays, but you used to expect some things to happen in a game. You used to expect a backdoor cut for a layup. You used to expect a curl play from 18ft. YOu could expect a UCLA cut to start the game. Some things were familiar and comforting.

Now it seems like Mitchell is just coddled and can take any shot any time he feels like it. AT one time there was such a thing as a bad shot. Now I'm not sure there is.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#72 » by Plossum » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 am

I came to the NBA in about 1992 (I live in Australia). Basketball was big in Australia back then and NBA cards were one of the big fads in school at the time. So I learnt about the game collecting/trading cards and watching NBA Action on TV.

Everyone had an NBA team cap back then too. So when time came to get one, I had to choose a team went with... The Sonics (doh!). I had a lot of Shawn Kemp cards so made sense to follow the Sonics.

I think the thing I miss most about that era is the lack of Superteams. Guys tended to stick with their drafted teams so the talent was spread out a bit more throughout the league. There was none of the endless speculation you get these days about "will X superstar leave when his contract is up?!" Teams just tried to figure it out with the talent they had.

For example, you had:
* MJ/Scottie Bulls
* Starks/Ewing Knick
* Reggie/Smits Pacers
* Kemp/Payton Sonics
* Shaq/Penny Magic
* Hakeem/Drex Rockets
* Malone/Stockton Jazz
* Run TMC in GS
* Barkley/KJ Suns
* Price/Daugherty Cavs

Etc. The Bulls dominated the era obv but it didn't seem like a foregone conclusion with some of the recent season we had when GS was at their peak. I get why players form superteams but I also appreciate guys like Giannis and Dirk who make it work with their drafted teams much more than a guy like Durant who bumhunts rings.
#LockUpChuck
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#73 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:18 am

I miss when superteams weren't really a thing
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Knightfall
Rookie
And1: 1,030

Post#74 » by Knightfall » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:27 am

[instagram][youtube][/youtube][/instagram]
Simmons25 wrote:I'm 49 and miss the tougher basketball. Watching FIBA today and how much better it is to watch than the NBA from a purest point of view... that was the 90's to me.

I miss watching basketball where players weren't all trying to join to create super teams and go ring chasing.

I miss watching MJ... and definitely won't miss when Lebron retires.

To be fair yo this new era of basketball players have forced their way out and to the teams they wanted too even during the 90s. I laugh when some of those players say that, knowing damn well they were guilty of it also. I'm looking at you Reggie Miller and Charles Barkley. Haha.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#75 » by SichtingLives » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:29 am

Back and forth barnburners. Used to be fairly common that a lead could change hands 30 times and go right down to the wire. That is all but gone with the wild point swings and 3 spamming of the modern game.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Bdc17
Freshman
And1: 26

Post#76 » by Bdc17 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:31 am

Almost 44. I remember watching Philly win the 83 finals with my dad since he was a huge Dr J fan. I miss the intensity where teams truly hated each other. I hate how soft everything is now. Flopping, baiting fouls, players that all hang out, etc.
Knightfall
Rookie
And1: 1,030

Post#77 » by Knightfall » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:41 am

For me, 41. I miss the physicality of the game. Basketball was a contact sport. I remember when stern started the rule changes to make it easier for guards to score. Even then there were talks of how it would affect big men of the future. Stern wanted less post pounding games and higher scoring games.

I also didn't mind low scoring defensive matchups. When 2 defenses are going at it and keep a game low scoring it's fun and exciting. Tough shots, steals, rebounds blocks, and quick steal that leads right into a lay up. Same with a block etc...

Hand checking. Eliminating the hand check really effected the NBA where on defense you are limited with what you can do.

Miss Jordan's Bulls.

The sneakers were awesome at the time.

NBA on NBC.

Original Dream Team jerseys.

Players hitting those sweet 3s.

I don't miss the high school era. This effected the league. Sure you had a few players break the mold, but took years to develop and the teams kept drafting them as they started making large portions of the draft. I'm not a fan of how the NCAA is run, but majority of these guys could have used more development.

This era. I used to hate hearing coaches that hated the 3 point line. Saying its destroying basketball. I love the 3. But christ with no defense and players just putting up a extremely high number of 3s every game it makes it hard to watch a game. Not everyone can shoot like the warriors, but for some reason every team thinks they can.

A return to some physical defense and the hamdcheck would make this much more competitive and allow for less 3s.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,116

Post#78 » by Plutonashfan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:50 am

The post up game. Seeing a highly skilled and sure footed big man like Hakeem on the block was a thing of beauty.
The Champ is HERE!!!
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#79 » by pwayknicks » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 am

Started watching during bulls Lakers finals. Really became a hardcore 2 years later.

As others have mentioned, miss the different styles teams used to play

The gaming of officials that goes on now, ie trae young and harden

The ridiculous amount of flopping, it happened back in the day, of course Rodman had his share and divac too but now everyone does

And the general overall competitiveness of the league, not knowing which team is going to win every year made the regular season enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,509

Post#80 » by DoctorX » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 am

Knightfall wrote:For me, 41. I miss the physicality of the game. Basketball was a contact sport. I remember when stern started the rule changes to make it easier for guards to score. Even then there were talks of how it would affect big men of the future. Stern wanted less post pounding games and higher scoring games.

I also didn't mind low scoring defensive matchups. When 2 defenses are going at it and keep a game low scoring it's fun and exciting. Tough shots, steals, rebounds blocks, and quick steal that leads right into a lay up. Same with a block etc...

Hand checking. Eliminating the hand check really effected the NBA where on defense you are limited with what you can do.

Miss Jordan's Bulls.

The sneakers were awesome at the time.

NBA on NBC.

Original Dream Team jerseys.

Players hitting those sweet 3s.

I don't miss the high school era. This effected the league. Sure you had a few players break the mold, but took years to develop and the teams kept drafting them as they started making large portions of the draft. I'm not a fan of how the NCAA is run, but majority of these guys could have used more development.

This era. I used to hate hearing coaches that hated the 3 point line. Saying its destroying basketball. I love the 3. But christ with no defense and players just putting up a extremely high number of 3s every game it makes it hard to watch a game. Not everyone can shoot like the warriors, but for some reason every team thinks they can.

A return to some physical defense and the hamdcheck would make this much more competitive and allow for less 3s.

This is why out of all the previous champions I hate the Warrior championship teams the most. They were able to get the whole entire league to copy their style of play. In the past you couldn't copy other championship teams style of play because it was reliant on the superstars of those teams. For example you couldn't copy the Spurs grind out style because it was reliant on Duncan being the the anchor on offense and defense. With the Warriors you could copy their style and not be as good as them because their style was based on chucking a lot of 3's except Curry,Klay,Durant are GOAT shooters and that's why it works. In the past jump shooting teams always lost in the playoffs due to how it's hard to be consistently great at shooting jumpers.

Return to The General Board