Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is a better player right now?

Kevin Durant
50%
Giannis
50%

Total votes: 341

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Re: Better Player Right Now Today: Kevin Durant or Giannis 

Post#221 » by AussieBuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:03 am

Replacing Harrison Barnes on a 73 win team is more impressive than what Giannis did against the Suns!
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 799

Post#222 » by Packbuckman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:13 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:Kirk Goldsberry posted the stat showing GA has the most success league wide guarding KD on shots. He's had many games to build on that stat. Nothing to prove.

Lol then why does he hide behind PJ Tucker in the playoffs?

Kawhi guards Luka when its crunch time or he gets hot. Thats what separates the two.

I would WAY rather have Kawhi on defense than Giannis if hes unable or unwilling to shut down the opposing team's best player.

Even KD was on Giannis in crunch time for several plays. Even though he had to carry the entire offense.

Again your comparing perimeter players guarding each other Kawhi ain’t blocking Ayton like Giannis did nobody else is except maybe Wilt I am taking that guy. That’s why you don’t play him on Durant on the perimeter and that’s what Durant is a jump shooter that plays on the perimeter.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#223 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 am

WhatTheBuck wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I'm going to take the guy who won the finals with a 50 piece over the guy who went 0-5 in overtime of his last series. :D

Pretty sure outplaying LeBron in the Finals is more impressive than scoring a lot of points on a 23 year old Center playing in his first playoffs. But thats just me. :lol:

If Giannis's 2nd best player was Bruce Brown he doesn't win a game in that series or even come close.

But he didn't outplay Lebron. He just had the better supporting cast. Unless you want to keep it consistent and admit that Giannis outplayed KD.

He literally played better than LeBron that series. Giannis was not as good as KD. Everyone knows that.

Giannis himself said it.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#224 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 am

Packbuckman wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:Kirk Goldsberry posted the stat showing GA has the most success league wide guarding KD on shots. He's had many games to build on that stat. Nothing to prove.

Kawhi guards Luka when its crunch time or he gets hot. Thats what separates the two.

I would WAY rather have Kawhi on defense than Giannis if hes unable or unwilling to shut down the opposing team's best player.

Even KD was on Giannis in crunch time for several plays. Even though he had to carry the entire offense.

Again your comparing perimeter players guarding each other Kawhi ain’t blocking Ayton like Giannis did nobody else is except maybe Wilt I am taking that guy. That’s why you don’t play him on Durant on the perimeter and that’s what Durant is a jump shooter that plays on the perimeter.

This idea that Giannis can't guard perimeter players is a figment of your imagination. I watched him do it all season.

The Nets didn't have a Deandre Ayton. Their only real scoring threat was Durant.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man

Post#225 » by Packbuckman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

This idea that Giannis can't guard perimeter players is a figment of your imagination. I watched him do it all season.

The Nets didn't have a Deandre Ayton. Their only real scoring threat was Durant.

Who said he couldn’t I didn’t Giannis guarded a little block his shot once but his best assets as a defensive big man is to protect the basket and rebounding that’s what Bud as the coach had him doing. The Bucks shooters were cold af the whole playoffs shooting like 32% from 3 the Nets made 20 more 3’s than the bucks and still lost and that wasn’t just Durant Green was hot af too that’s a big loss for you guys him not coming back.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,484

Post#226 » by HardenGoat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 am

Giannis got lucky Nets lost 2 of their best 3 players. Even then he got lucky Durant had his toe on a line. Otherwise even his own fans would have turned on him and this whole premise that no other player has been more successful the last 3 seasons would be just the opposite. Durant is still the best player in the NBA. Even Giannis knows that.
WhatTheBuck
Junior
And1: 332

Post#227 » by WhatTheBuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WhatTheBuck wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Pretty sure outplaying LeBron in the Finals is more impressive than scoring a lot of points on a 23 year old Center playing in his first playoffs. But thats just me. :lol:

If Giannis's 2nd best player was Bruce Brown he doesn't win a game in that series or even come close.

But he didn't outplay Lebron. He just had the better supporting cast. Unless you want to keep it consistent and admit that Giannis outplayed KD.

He literally played better than LeBron that series. Giannis was not as good as KD. Everyone knows that.

Giannis himself said it.

Giannis also took a reporter seriously when they were punking him that D'Angelo Russell was better than him and he didn't refute it. He's a humble guy.

And no, Kevin Durant did not outplay Lebron.

Yes he hit the most important shot but if you want to go there, you know I'm just going to talk about Giannis' hookshot over KD in overtime, with KD airballing and getting his shot packed.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#228 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
I forgot that Hakeem PLAYED THE SAME POSITION as Jordan. What a ridiculous comparison.

But Giannis is a PF/C and you just tried to talk him down for not guarding Butler - SG/SF, last year? I really hope you're just a troll. I was going to explain again in simpler terms, possibly even links to NBA2K so you might understand better but it's just not worth it. Have a fun offseason, we'll see you when our banner is getting raised.

I mean the main issue is that he didn't guard KD. You still have no explanation for excuse for the supposed MVP being unable to guard an opposing player at his position.

Instead you're now just pettifogging.
Explanation is very simple. Giannis is otherworldly as a help defender anchoring the defense and the Bucks decided to play to their strengths.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
WhatTheBuck
Junior

Post#229 » by WhatTheBuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:31 am

HardenGoat wrote:Giannis got lucky Nets lost 2 of their best 3 players. Even then he got lucky Durant had his toe on a line. Otherwise even his own fans would have turned on him and this whole premise that no other player has been more successful the last 3 seasons would be just the opposite. Durant is still the best player in the NBA. Even Giannis knows that.

Kevin Durant is lucky to be so spineless to need two other top 15 players in the league to play with him and flex on people like he's the best, when he couldn't accomplish nada by himself.

All you're saying is Giannis got lucky that he didn't have to face a super team. Doesn't diminish what he accomplished one iota.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#230 » by WRau1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 am

HardenGoat wrote:Giannis got lucky Nets lost 2 of their best 3 players. Even then he got lucky Durant had his toe on a line. Otherwise even his own fans would have turned on him and this whole premise that no other player has been more successful the last 3 seasons would be just the opposite. Durant is still the best player in the NBA. Even Giannis knows that.

You can say whatever you want but the facts are that there is nothing that shows KD is better than Giannis.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Packbuckman
Sixth Man

Post#231 » by Packbuckman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 am

Keep believing that it might come true lol
The bucks were missing their starting Sg the whole series who would have guarded Kyrie we had to play Teague.
I hope everyone is healthy I like this bucks team better this year. Green was unconscious from 3 he missed one I think that one gm what he did that playoffs will be missed.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,484

Post#232 » by HardenGoat » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:45 am

WhatTheBuck wrote:

Kevin Durant is lucky to be so spineless to need two other top 15 players in the league to play with him and flex on people like he's the best, when he couldn't accomplish nada by himself.

All you're saying is Giannis got lucky that he didn't have to face a super team. Doesn't diminish what he accomplished one iota.

I don’t discredit what Giannis accomplished one bit. He’s a great player. But You also can’t discredit what Durant did and act like he even had any semblance of a superteam in that series. It still took Giannis luck and that’s the truth. Getting lucky doesn’t make you the better player.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,258

Post#233 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 am

Giannis calling KD the best player in the game doesn't make it true. It just makes Giannis an incredibly humble and classy athlete, which he is. KD could actually learn from that, if he weren't so insecure.

KD may not have had much help in the ECSF, but the Bucks defended him as if he had.

The Bucks never doubled KD and never left shooters open. They either defended him one-on-one in isolation, or played drop coverage in the pick-and-roll. They never overreacted to him, like defenses used to trap Curry or collapse on LeBron - thus leaving shooters open - for instance.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man

Post#234 » by Packbuckman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 am

HardenGoat wrote:
WhatTheBuck wrote:

I don’t discredit what Giannis accomplished one bit. He’s a great player. But You also can’t discredit what Durant did and act like he even had any semblance of a superteam in that series. It still took Giannis luck and that’s the truth. Getting lucky doesn’t make you the better player.

I have watched a lot of playoffs over the years nothing is guaranteed there’s injuries or something every year. The Nets as a team made 20 more 3’s than the bucks that series just because those players come back next year doesn’t mean you repeat that or better that it took the bucks to shoot 32% from 3 to make even go 7. Durant is a great player him and Giannis are the two best I think Giannis is better you think Durant is and it’s split almost even on this board. Those are also the two best teams in the East the bucks strength is their size inside that’s not changing even if they hit close to their average from 3 their hard to beat by anyone.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#235 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am

WhatTheBuck wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WhatTheBuck wrote:

Giannis himself said it.

Giannis also took a reporter seriously when they were punking him that D'Angelo Russell was better than him and he didn't refute it. He's a humble guy.

And no, Kevin Durant did not outplay Lebron.

Yes he hit the most important shot but if you want to go there, you know I'm just going to talk about Giannis' hookshot over KD in overtime, with KD airballing and getting his shot packed.

:lol:

That is not the same thing as Giannis going out of his way on multiple occasions to explicitly say KD was the best player in the world.

Its not about him being humble. He knows the truth.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#236 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 am

WhatTheBuck wrote:

He literally didn't beat one good team. Injured Nets. The Hawks without Trae Young. And a Suns team who slid by injured teams too.

The easiest path to a Championship in history. And its not close.

Still a top 5 player. But hes not on the level of LeBron/KD/Kawhi.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#237 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:00 am

yes giannis got lucky but if KD was truly the best player he would have won like luka doncic to game 7 at least.
but he choked again shooting airballs. KD didnt prove anything in that series he was even the best player.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
WhatTheBuck
Junior

Post#238 » by WhatTheBuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WhatTheBuck wrote:

He literally didn't beat one good team. Injured Nets. The Hawks without Trae Young. And a Suns team who slid by injured teams too.

I thought the easiest path to a championship was joining a 73 win team. I stand corrected!
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#239 » by WRau1 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
WhatTheBuck wrote:

Prove it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Post#240 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm

I like Giannis more, but KD is objectively better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board