Equivalent of Simmons in other sports

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,546

Re: Equivalent of Simmons in other sports 

Post#41 » by JimmyPlopper » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:56 am

Gretzky, Montana, Beloglazov, Pele, Ruth
Faked our deaths, lit a match
Closed the door, waited for the flash
Greyhound Station, we paid in cash
Miss Lazarus, we’re coming back
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,593

Post#42 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:17 am

Jay Cutler

Supreme physical talents who have the DGAF vibe and were shopped by their team so they requested a trade.

I'd say Cuttys attitude issues were more manufactured. He obviously cared about football and getting better. He just had an **** persona.

Ben cares so much about failing that its amking him fail.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#43 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:23 am

Lamar Jackson
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#44 » by Perseus1966 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 am

3/4 of european soccer players ,multimillion contracts and and they are worst than Simmons in every aspect.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Post#45 » by Asianiac_24 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:06 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Simmons is like Tom Brady. Super one dimensional.

Brady can only pass and that's it - he can't do anything else in football but throw the football.

Haha what? So Simmons is the GOAT? You do realize Brady’s job is to read defenses, run the offense, and throw the football. Brady is all time great in all of those areas. Calling a QB one dimensional because he only throws the ball is just, I don’t know the words to describe that haha.

It's called true.

Some quarterbacks are great runners and some can play other positions - some play WR, for example. Brady is the epitome of one dimensional. He can barely even run. Giselle has a faster 40 time. But that's the nature of football and that position - QBs can be one dimensional statues and still win.

The difference is, Tom Brady has extremely good work ethics, and the only reason he isn't running or playing other positions is because he just isn't physically gifted enough to do all that. Despite his physical stature (relatively speaking to other NFL players), he was able to accomplish amazing results year after year. Tom Brady is more like a Stephen Curry.

Ben Simmons with Tom Brady's work ethics would be MVP level. Unfortunately he isn't even close to that.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#46 » by snaquille oatmeal » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Antonio Brown great talent on the court, flawed off the court :dontknow:

I don’t know. Brown in his prime had very little questions about his on field ability and impact. There was no major flaw in his game like there is with Simmons.

Brown’s flaws weren’t on the field like I said. His flaw was his behavior off the field. As elite as his talent to play football is, his off field antics were just as elite in a bad way. I mean he was unplayable when he was with the Raiders because of it.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,804

Post#47 » by TravisScott55 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm

David Price
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#48 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:55 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
MrGoat wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
I was actually going to say Cam Newton. Hes a guy who has special physical abilities but is a mental midget, cares too much about his 'celebrity status' and largely has been known for not being able to adapt/work on flaws.

I said Vince Young. Cam actually has some passing ability. Vince had all of the physical gifts but just wasn't a passing threat which is more in line with Simmons and his shooting woes

Vince Youngs flaws wernt from a work ethic standpoint though, he just couldnt adapt to the NFL from college and he couldnt replicate that success.

Simmons 3 biggest knocks are 1) Mental toughness 2) Work Ethic/Desire to Improve and 3) Cares a LOT about life outside the lines.

Those 3 things fit Cam Newton absolutely perfectly. Simmons/Newton rest on their laurels, try to 'out talent' everybody because they could in college and both care too much about being famous and because of that--rub some of their teammates the wrong way.

But Cam Newton actually did play at an MVP level long enough to win the award.

Manny Ramirez was a great hitter who wouldn't play defense. But it wasn't at the Simmons level. One could put him in the field, just Melo does something on defense. And DHs were already a thing anyway.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#49 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:53 pm

it has to be an athlete that is extremely flawed but does a few things pretty well, I dont think balotelli really falls in that catagory. When he was at his best he was exceptional at a number of things on the pitch, the problem with him was commitment/mental and a short lived prime. I'm not a big mlb guy, but maybe a really good defensive fielder who struggled to hit?
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,940

Post#50 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Tim Tebow. I'm one of his biggest fans, and I really would hope that he found some kind of success in the NFL. He has all the work ethic in the world, he still couldn't fix his throwing motion. It was apparently fixed before the NFL draft, but come game time, the same slow throwing motion.

Still loved Tebow time though.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#51 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:19 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Antonio Brown great talent on the court, flawed off the court :dontknow:

I don’t know. Brown in his prime had very little questions about his on field ability and impact. There was no major flaw in his game like there is with Simmons.

Brown’s flaws weren’t on the field like I said. His flaw was his behavior off the field. As elite as his talent to play football is, his off field antics were just as elite in a bad way. I mean he was unplayable when he was with the Raiders because of it.

Sure but that is why I’m saying a comparison to him doesn’t make sense. Simmons biggest flaw isn’t his off the court stuff, it’s the fact that he is terrified to shoot the basketball in the game of basketball. So his biggest flaw is on the court.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#52 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:43 pm

This guy.

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#53 » by Edrees » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:25 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
SharpyShuffle wrote:Timo Warner is kind of close. Can do everything offensively in soccer except shoot (and stay onside). Is he was even an average shot he'd be one of the best in the world.

But he actually *tries* to shoot, he's just bad at it. It's hard to think of people who just refuse to perform, or develop, the most basic skill of their sport.

Dribbling is the most basic skill of basketball by far.

Don't really agree. Half the people in the NBA will yield a turnover if they try to dribble across half court (ball will get stolen) Good dribblers (at the professional level) are actually fairly rare.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#54 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:30 pm

Pipo Inzaghi
lonniefire
Sophomore
And1: 204

Post#55 » by lonniefire » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:33 pm

A garbage can
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#56 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:36 pm

So you're saying he is on the receiving end of this Beckham pass?

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,215

Post#57 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Edrees wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
SharpyShuffle wrote:Timo Warner is kind of close. Can do everything offensively in soccer except shoot (and stay onside). Is he was even an average shot he'd be one of the best in the world.

But he actually *tries* to shoot, he's just bad at it. It's hard to think of people who just refuse to perform, or develop, the most basic skill of their sport.

Don't really agree. Half the people in the NBA will yield a turnover if they try to dribble across half court (ball will get stolen) Good dribblers (at the professional level) are actually fairly rare.

You still learn to dribble a ball first when you're learning the game. Basic doesn't mean it's the easiest to master.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#58 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Joey Gallo in baseball. A couple super elite tool(eye, power, defense) and then puzzling lack of competency in others(contact)
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#59 » by Edrees » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:25 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Edrees wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You still learn to dribble a ball first when you're learning the game. Basic doesn't mean it's the easiest to master.

I think basic is a pretty subjective word to use here, so I can understand it going either way
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,215

Post#60 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:29 pm

Edrees wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Edrees wrote:

I think basic is a pretty subjective word to use here, so I can understand it going either way

I guess the most basic skill that you're taught first is my view. cause if you can't dribble you can't play basketball at all. I mean ok there might be a few huge dudes who are freaky exceptions, but even then...you're not playing basketball a 12 year old without some kind of dribbling ability.

Otherwise are you saying it's passing? But then you get taught different types of passes as a kid. The bounce pass is kinda hard to learn but the chest pass requires more strength which you might not have developing.

Return to The General Board