[CLE-CHI-OKC] Another DJJ trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,270

[CLE-CHI-OKC] Another DJJ trade 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:48 am

Cleveland trades: Cedi Osman, 2022 HOU 2nd
Cleveland receives: Derrick Jones Jr.
Cleveland gets rid of long-term money.

Chicago trades: Derrick Jones Jr., 2026 CHI 2nd
Chicago receives: Gabriel Deck
Chicago saves money now, and gets a stretch 4 off the bench.

OKC trades: Gabriel Deck
OKC receives: Cedi Osman, 2022 HOU 2nd, 2026 CHI 2nd
OKC trades Deck for a nice high second, and a look at Osman as a secondary playmaker + shooter off the bench (or however you want to view the value on this - 2 2nds and take on some bad money for someone you weren't going to keep, etc.).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Re: [CLE-CHI-OKC] Another DJJ trade 

Post#2 » by Devilanche » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:22 am

First trade I see deck being moved .

Deck is fillers I guess so that houston second have some value .

I think the trade depends how likely Cleveland want to give up that future pick
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:11 am

Devilanche wrote:First trade I see deck being moved .

Deck is fillers I guess so that houston second have some value .

I think the trade depends how likely Cleveland want to give up that future pick

Deck seemed like a decent enough player to me to get 10-15 minutes of burn (reminds me a bit of a poor man's Bjelica), maybe I'm wrong since he hardly played. His contract is declining, too, so if he can be a rotation player on a declining contract I kind of like that from a salary-structure perspective. There are other players I'd probably prefer to pay $3 million for, but it doesn't seem too bad. Maybe Chicago can throw some more in to turn Deck into House in this scenario.

Sounds like it's unclear if Deck will be returning to the NBA if OKC doesn't move him, but maybe I'm misreading that situation, too.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#4 » by meekrab » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 am

Bulls have no need to save 2021 salary, especially not at the cost of taking on a long term contract for a bum and a draft pick.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 am

meekrab wrote:Bulls have no need to save 2021 salary, especially not at the cost of taking on a long term contract for a bum and a draft pick.

None of Deck's years are guaranteed. If they don't like him this season they can cut him w/o him being on the books. That's part of why I think it works.

JColl
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#6 » by meekrab » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 am

babyjax13 wrote:
meekrab wrote:Bulls have no need to save 2021 salary, especially not at the cost of taking on a long term contract for a bum and a draft pick.

None of Deck's years are guaranteed. If they don't like him this season they can cut him w/o him being on the books. That's part of why I think it works.

That's convenient for OKC, I guess, but irrelevant for the Bulls since they don't need to save money this year, and DJJ is not on the books after this season at all. The Bulls also traded away a bunch of draft capital already, so making the team worse and giving away a pick to do it over 5 million bucks would be Ebenezer Scrooge levels of penny pinching.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#7 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 am

meekrab wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

That's convenient for OKC, I guess, but irrelevant for the Bulls since they don't need to save money this year, and DJJ is not on the books after this season at all. The Bulls also traded away a bunch of draft capital already, so making the team worse and giving away a pick to do it over 5 million bucks would be Ebenezer Scrooge levels of penny pinching.

I don't really see DJJ as more than a 9th or 10th man, so I don't think Chicago loses anything on the court here, but if you disagree I see why you wouldn't want to do it. It does open up a decent sized TPE, too, so maybe Chicago can add a consequential role-player with that, as well.

JColl
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#8 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:13 am

i dont know who the hell is deck but good trade they cant trade 1st for getting rid of djj. AK would rather rot and give up chance at title this yr.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,050

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm

No from OKC. Cedi is 15m of bad money. Deck is not valuable but he is liked. 2 2nds doesn’t do anything here. If it was DJJ and 3 2nds I’d consider it. Dumping DJJ’s salary is itself worth 2 2nds.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#10 » by ChettheJet » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:10 pm

(Sounding like Kevin Hart on those stupid TV commercials) WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

The Bulls give up a future 2nd and a genuine NBA rebounder for a 6-6 SF who you transform into their shortest PF off the bench with a grand total of 10, count em, 10 NBA games. This is insulting
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,050

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:29 pm

ChettheJet wrote:(Sounding like Kevin Hart on those stupid TV commercials) WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

The Bulls give up a future 2nd and a genuine NBA rebounder for a 6-6 SF who you transform into their shortest PF off the bench with a grand total of 10, count em, 10 NBA games. This is insulting

DJJ is not a good nba player. He is a bad contract. That’s what is going on here.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:48 pm

ChettheJet wrote:(Sounding like Kevin Hart on those stupid TV commercials) WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Deck is a 230 pound power forward. He's very physical, seems to be a good passer, and historically has been able to hit open threes. I get that a lot of people don't know anything about him, and most people don't know much about him, but watching just one game would disabuse you of the notion that he's a small forward. re: DJJ, he's just not good.

JColl
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,674

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Isn't this just rearranging Deck chairs?

Sorry I don't actually think that, just couldn't believe nobody had said it. :D

I know nothing about Deck. Is he ready to actually play rotation minutes for a team trying to make the playoffs? If so then sure for Chicago. But if I'm Cleveland then I'm just adding another 2nd and trying to cut them out.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#14 » by tidho » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:18 pm

again working under the premise that the Mobley selection pushes any chance of CLE winning a playoff series out two years (the 23/24 season).

i don't see any reason CLE should use assets that could better the team when they might be competitive, to shuffle spare parts that will be irrelevant if and when that happens.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,674

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 pm

tidho wrote:again working under the premise that the Mobley selection pushes any chance of CLE winning a playoff series out two years (the 23/24 season).

Are you saying if they drafted Suggs(or someone else) they would have been favored to win a series in the next 2 years? I think until you can get the $30M of Love off the roster its pretty hard for me to see such a young team winning a playoff series even had Cade fallen to them, no?

But maybe you are trying to say something else?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,186

Post#16 » by coldfish » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm

I see a bunch of DJJ trades on this board. This post could go in many places.

The Bulls want to have an expiring. Zach is due for his full max extension. As it stands now, the Bulls can give it to him and not pay the tax. If they trade DJJ and take on salary, they will likely pay tax on a good bit of that money. Knowing JReinsdorf, that's not desirable.

Also, AK wants picks for future trades.

Lastly, the Bulls plan on going small at the 4, running out Pat Williams, DDR, Alize Johnson, Stanley Johnson, etc. at the spot. Their offense and defense is really built around having 4 switchable athletic guys around a big center.

The odds of Chicago trading picks and DJJ to take on salary for a marginal upgrade are pretty much zero.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:51 pm

coldfish wrote:I see a bunch of DJJ trades on this board. This post could go in many places.

The Bulls want to have an expiring. Zach is due for his full max extension. As it stands now, the Bulls can give it to him and not pay the tax. If they trade DJJ and take on salary, they will likely pay tax on a good bit of that money. Knowing JReinsdorf, that's not desirable.

Also, AK wants picks for future trades.

Lastly, the Bulls plan on going small at the 4, running out Pat Williams, DDR, Alize Johnson, Stanley Johnson, etc. at the spot. Their offense and defense is really built around having 4 switchable athletic guys around a big center.

The odds of Chicago trading picks and DJJ to take on salary for a marginal upgrade are pretty much zero.

They aren't taking on salary, all of Deck's seasons are ung. or team options.

JColl
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
tidho wrote:again working under the premise that the Mobley selection pushes any chance of CLE winning a playoff series out two years (the 23/24 season).

Are you saying if they drafted Suggs(or someone else) they would have been favored to win a series in the next 2 years? I think until you can get the $30M of Love off the roster its pretty hard for me to see such a young team winning a playoff series even had Cade fallen to them, no?

If they had drafted Green, then I think that, for a variety of reasons, the calculus changes. But in addition to drafting Mobley, Sexton's still on the roster, we still don't have a replacement level backup at the 2 or 3 (and this trade doesn't really change that), and Garland/Sexton/Okoro are all still undersized 1-3 in your starting until.

Now add the fact that the Cavs had the entirety of the MLE at their disposal and couldn't get anyone worthwhile to take it. If that isn't informing how you're using your draft capital as a F.O., then you're not doing your job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#19 » by tidho » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Given your stance on Suggs i'm surprised you'd question it.

Yes, Mobley is a project and will need a couple years before you're can hope to get high level output. Guys like Suggs an Green should be more productive immediately. Going into the draft there was a lot of talk about the Cavaliers pushing to want to 'win now'. If Suggs or Green was selected Sexton likely gets dealt and the teams next couple firsts are probably in play for immediate improvement. Then you're looking at a wide variety of deals that could make the team better right away.

That talk basically stopped with the selection of Mobley. They didn't address SF at all. There's been no indication they're willing to move next year's pick. They didn't even use the full MLE available this year. Selecting Mobley was basically the acceptance of a couple year extension to the rebuild.

edit: also i didn't say they "would have been favored", i referenced "any chance" of winning a series.

Return to Trades and Transactions