Dwight Howard
36%

Total votes: 39

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,933

Re: Nikola Jokic vs Dwight Howard 

Post#21 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:00 am

Outside wrote:I voted Jokic, but it's close.

Pros for Dwight:

-- MVP-caliber. May not have won, but he was top 5 four times, including second to Derrick Rose in 2011.
-- 3x DPOY.
-- Great rebounder. Led league 6x in total rebounds, 6x in defensive rebounds, once in offensive rebounds (was top 4 seven straight seasons), 5x in RPG.
-- Really good shotblocker. Led league twice in total blocks and BPG, was top 5 in adjacent seasons.
-- Took an otherwise mediocre Magic squad to the finals in 2009. If Courtney Lee makes the ATO layup at the end of regulation in game 3, Lakers probably still win the series, but it would've been interesting.
-- Despite limited offensive skills (DLOS), Orlando was able to build a title contender around his defense, ability to finish at the rim, and putbacks.
-- DLOS, was able to average a bit over 20 ppg at his peak.
-- DLOS and poor FT%, stayed within himself at his peak to be top 5 in FG% (led league in 2009-10) and top 10 in TS%.

Cons for Dwight:

-- FT%. Hack-a-Dwight was a thing.
-- Limited scoring skills. FG% plummeted outside of three feet. Required perimeter shooters for spacing
-- Poor passer/playmaker. Could've vastly increased his offensive value if he had made an effort to leverage his gravity and the team's spacing to be an offensive hub instead of a black hole.
-- Tends to pick up fouls and technicals and pouts when calls don't go his way.
-- Locker room presence/effect on team chemistry. Up to everyone how or whether to include this in the assessment.

Pros for Jokic:

-- Passing. One of the great passing centers ever, if not the GOAT.
-- Scoring. Averaged 26.4 this season, 12th in the league.
-- Efficiency. This season: 60.6 FG%, 38.8 3PT%, 86.8 FT%, 64.7 TS%, just phenomenal.
-- Range. His FGAs are spread from the basket out to the three-point line.
-- Rebounding. Not great, but good enough to average double figures. Top 10 in total, defensive, offensive, and RPG.
-- For someone who handles the ball as much as he does, his turnovers are low.
-- Has performed well in the postseason. His production picks up, and his efficiency stays high.
-- I don't know if teammates love him, but I've heard good things and haven't heard anything bad about him.

Cons for Jokic:

-- Defense. LEBRON rates him as marginally positive defensively, but center is often a position you look at to be a defensive anchor. He ain't that.
-- Post game. Only 24.4% of his shots were from 0-3 feet. Not a power player. Again, that's something you normally look for from a dominant post player, but he's not your normal post player.
-- Whines the refs a fair amount but it's not as bad a negative for him that it is for Dwight.

I'm sure there's more, but this is my usual off-the-top-of-my head take.

For Jokic, it's easy to pick his peak -- it's 2020-21. For Dwight, you sort of have to pick and choose between 2-3 years. Dwight is obviously much further into his career than Jokic, so there's more to choose from. Jokic is likely to swing the balance in his favor more over the next few seasons, assuming he keeps on a similar level, or even better. Even so, I chose Jokic, though it's really close. Dwight in Orlando was really, really good.

Great analysis, I would like to add some things.

"Cons for Dwight:-- Locker room presence/effect on team chemistry. Up to everyone how or whether to include this in the assessment." - I think this is an important part of evaluating a player because if you are chemistry killer it reflects on team success, which is the point of the game after all. That is the reason why I always argue against notion that Boogie was good player.

"Cons for Jokic:-- Post game. Only 24.4% of his shots were from 0-3 feet. Not a power player. Again, that's something you normally look for from a dominant post player, but he's not your normal post player." - Jokic is one of the most efficient scorers in the league in post-ups. He was second behind Embiid with Embiid getting all those foul calls. Thing with his post-ups is that he likes to use them to force doubleteams so he can assist teammates for easy dunks or wide open 3s.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#22 » by feyki » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:
feyki wrote:Jokic is the GOAT, because he won the last mvp.

No, he is just one of only 34 players in the history of the league who have won MVP. And winning 90% of first place votes, he was pretty clear choice. Giannis is one of 14 who have won multiple times. To be consider GOAT you must win it al least 4-5 times.

Jokic and Giannis are the only active MVP winners under 30. There are some great players who were never the best in the league like Ewing, Drexler, Stockton, CP3. There are some really talented young players in the league right now like Book, Trae, Zion, Mitchell, Luka, some of them even led their teams to deep playoff runs, and there is no guarantee that neither of them will ever win it.

No, he just has been the best impact player in the season. And there were a few names better than his regular season mvp level impact in the playoffs.

2011 MVP was Rose but he was not even a top 5 player in that year. MVP award means a player worth as top 5, at least. Don't need to overestimate it. It does not give any wild card a player for the individual player rankings.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#23 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:00 pm

feyki wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
feyki wrote:Jokic is the GOAT, because he won the last mvp.

No, he is just one of only 34 players in the history of the league who have won MVP. And winning 90% of first place votes, he was pretty clear choice. Giannis is one of 14 who have won multiple times. To be consider GOAT you must win it al least 4-5 times.

Jokic and Giannis are the only active MVP winners under 30. There are some great players who were never the best in the league like Ewing, Drexler, Stockton, CP3. There are some really talented young players in the league right now like Book, Trae, Zion, Mitchell, Luka, some of them even led their teams to deep playoff runs, and there is no guarantee that neither of them will ever win it.

No, he just has been the best impact player in the season. And there were a few names better than his regular season mvp level impact in the playoffs.

2011 MVP was Rose but he was not even a top 5 player in that year. MVP award means a player worth as top 5, at least. Don't need to overestimate it. It does not give any wild card a player for the individual player rankings.

Giannis had great impact in the playoff an that is it, unless you count some "first round exit superstars". Jokic winning 90% first place votes, with his historic season in every advanced stat, leading all players, point to the fact that he was the best player in RS in 2020-2021
feyki
Veteran

Post#24 » by feyki » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:59 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
feyki wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:No, he is just one of only 34 players in the history of the league who have won MVP. And winning 90% of first place votes, he was pretty clear choice. Giannis is one of 14 who have won multiple times. To be consider GOAT you must win it al least 4-5 times.

Giannis had great impact in the playoff an that is it, unless you count some "first round exit superstars". Jokic winning 90% first place votes, with his historic season in every advanced stat, leading all players, point to the fact that he was the best player in RS in 2020-2021

Giannis, Kawhi, Doncic, Durant, even when healthy Davis had higher impact. You're just looking at the "legacy" .
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#25 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:45 pm

feyki wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
feyki wrote:

Giannis, Kawhi, Doncic, Durant, even when healthy Davis had higher impact. You're just looking at the "legacy" .

No, Doncic is out of conversation before he makes it out of first round. BTW Jokic had much better stats, and bigger impact this year in the first round than Luka. If you were talking about Trae Young, we could have conversation, but Jokic is still better.
Now, are you talking about this year or "legacy" because you mentioned healthy Davis? IF you are talking about "legacy" Jokic is one of the best PO performer in league, and this year was not much different.
feyki
Veteran

Post#26 » by feyki » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Hmm, either best player in the 2021 was Trae Young or Jokic? What could I say after this?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#27 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:08 pm

feyki wrote:Hmm, either best player in the 2021 was Trae Young or Jokic? What could I say after this?

Unlike Luka, with Trae you could make some argument, bad one, that he was among best POs performer.
But I undrestand Luka is GOAT because...well...something
TheBomb81
Pro Prospect
And1: 64

Post#28 » by TheBomb81 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Slight edge to Dwight for me.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,487

Post#29 » by Pelly24 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 pm

Yeah, this is Jokic for me.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,685

Post#30 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Here's a question: just how good would Dwight be on defense against today's spread-out offenses? He was an absolute terror in the paint but would he be much better than Gobert on defense?
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#31 » by No-more-rings » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:Here's a question: just how good would Dwight be on defense against today's spread-out offenses? He was an absolute terror in the paint but would he be much better than Gobert on defense?

He'd absolutely be better than Gobert. Dwight was supremely athletic and an aggressive defensive rebounder for one, and despite what some might remember Dwight wasn't exactly Shaq at switching onto smaller players he was pretty decent at it.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,506

Post#32 » by 70sFan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:Here's a question: just how good would Dwight be on defense against today's spread-out offenses? He was an absolute terror in the paint but would he be much better than Gobert on defense?

He'd absolutely be better than Gobert. Dwight was supremely athletic and an aggressive defensive rebounder for one, and despite what some might remember Dwight wasn't exactly Shaq at switching onto smaller players he was pretty decent at it.

I don't think that Dwight would be clearly better than Gobert on defense, but it's the offense where Dwight gains massive advantage that also changes his defense to more valuable. You can afford playing small-ball lineup against Gobert all the time because he's unable to impose his size on offensive end. Good luck trying to play against Dwight with 6'6 bigs, he'd destroy you on offensive glass and in the paint.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,759

Post#33 » by GSP » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:45 am

I think theyre really close but Id lean Nikola even with the defensive problems

Career is not even worth talking about. Jokic just had his 3rd allstar season. He was prolly all star caliber in 18 too but Dwight had basically a decade of Mvp level or allstar play
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,265

Post#34 » by trex_8063 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:45 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Outside wrote:.

Great analysis, I would like to add some things.

"Cons for Jokic:-- Post game. Only 24.4% of his shots were from 0-3 feet. Not a power player. Again, that's something you normally look for from a dominant post player, but he's not your normal post player." - Jokic is one of the most efficient scorers in the league in post-ups. He was second behind Embiid with Embiid getting all those foul calls. Thing with his post-ups is that he likes to use them to force doubleteams so he can assist teammates for easy dunks or wide open 3s.

Agree, I was somewhat shocked to see post-game listed as a "con" for Jokic:

*Although just under 25% of his attempts come at the rim, it's worth noting he finishes those at just over 75% (about as elite as anyone outside of a handful of [mostly freakish all-timer] players ever have).

**From the post he also gets an awful lot of shots in the 3-10' range (35% of his total shot volume), which he converts at an absurd 57.2%. I mean, has ANYONE else ever hit that well in that range on any relevant volume? I can only find 2-3 players who have ever [since 1996] even come sort of close (so far shot-tracking data is indicating even Kareem did not).......and that's actually only Jokic's 3rd-best % season from 3-10'. :o

***He is sometimes gaming the defense for doubles, so he can hit the cutter or open man (which obviously he does very very well).

****He does all of this while maintaining a low-moderate turnover rate (a lot of turnovers can occur in the post for some bigs: they can get ball-hawked, or stripped in a double, or lower the shoulder and get called for a charge, etc).

Overall, Jokic feels as dangerous in the post as anyone in the league presently.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#35 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:28 am

I feel like relative to era they are pretty close though I like Jokic's ability to lift his game in the playoffs slightly more. Jokic seems like one of the rare guys who can really take over when he needs to. Dwight chemistry wise was always pretty weak to me as well. Too much smiling and all of that.

Return to Player Comparisons