ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2721 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:45 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I personally prefer Exum to Frank but he is a good fit with Luka. Hopefully his 3 continues to improve and he actually shoots them as he tends to be very hesitant offensively.

If we do sign him, then we need to cut someone or make a trade though. Maybe trade incoming?

Is Ntilikina known as a good defender?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#2722 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 am

Are the Mavs a likely destination for him? Ok then he doesn't come here for sure :lol:

Sign him and Dragic, trade Brunson+Powell+scrubs or anyone not named Luka&KP for a PF.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#2723 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:39 am

Mr B wrote:Is Ntilikina known as a good defender?

Very good defender at the 2 guard positions. Problem is his offense and how tentative he is on that end. His jumpshot looked better this year as he shot above 40% from 3 BUT on a very small sample size so it's deceiving.

The Knicks are my family's team (I became a Mavs fan in the early 2000s) so I watch a ton of Knicks games. Lucky for me, they were pretty entertaining this year.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#2724 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:11 am

Trey Burke wiped out his insta. Maybe he's on the move or getting cut?
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#2725 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:52 am

Frank for sure deserves a try. He will be solid fit with Luka, problem is that he won't work without Luka, so Mavs still need someone to run second team. Frank + Goran would have been perfect signing in this situation.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#2726 » by MrOrange » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:23 am

Mr B wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I personally prefer Exum to Frank but he is a good fit with Luka. Hopefully his 3 continues to improve and he actually shoots them as he tends to be very hesitant offensively.

If we do sign him, then we need to cut someone or make a trade though. Maybe trade incoming?

Is Ntilikina known as a good defender?

Yes, his D is solid. However, he is horribly timid on offense and with an inconsistent shot. Knicks never developed that part of his game. Or any part of his game for that matter. He also has some nagging injury issues. Having said that his D alone is worth a try.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#2727 » by jpengland » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 am

Ntilikina is unplayable. His offense is beyond putrid and whilst he looks OK on defense I'm fairly sure stats suggest he's not as impactful as he looks.

It'd be a hard pass from me.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2728 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:01 am

jpengland wrote:Ntilikina is unplayable. His offense is beyond putrid and whilst he looks OK on defense I'm fairly sure stats suggest he's not as impactful as he looks.

Ntilikina won't look worse than Delon, Richardson, Green...He's a good athlete, still young and is more or less for free. Why don't give him a chance?
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#2729 » by jpengland » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 am

Bob8 wrote:
jpengland wrote:Ntilikina is unplayable. His offense is beyond putrid and whilst he looks OK on defense I'm fairly sure stats suggest he's not as impactful as he looks.

Ntilikina won't look worse than Delon, Richardson, Green...He's a good athlete, still young and is more or less for free. Why don't give him a chance?

He has been a damn sight worse than Delon or Richardson throughout his career.

No problem giving a camp deal and seeing what we have, but any guaranteed deal would be an unwise move.

Outside of a tiny sample size last year, hes been a terrible shooter, He can't run an offense, he can't get to the rim, he can't finish when he does get to the rim.

He's a reasonable defender with some potential upside on that side of the ball, but his offense is probably the worst of any guard I have seen get reasonable minutes in the NBA.

There's a ton of guys I would rather take a punt on ahead of Ntilikina.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#2730 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 am

Bob8 wrote:Ntilikina won't look worse than Delon, Richardson, Green...He's a good athlete, still young and is more or less for free. Why don't give him a chance?

He's Delon-lite but more potential because he has much better athleticism. Delon production at a fraction of the cost would be amazing honestly. Worth the flier at least.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#2731 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:13 am

Bob8 wrote:Frank for sure deserves a try. He will be solid fit with Luka, problem is that he won't work without Luka, so Mavs still need someone to run second team. Frank + Goran would have been perfect signing in this situation.

You have Ntlikina, Brunson, Burke all playing backup minutes to Luka. What do you need a one year rental of Dragic for?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2732 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am

jpengland wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

He has been a damn sight worse than Delon or Richardson throughout his career.

No problem giving a camp deal and seeing what we have, but any guaranteed deal would be an unwise move.

Outside of a tiny sample size last year, hes been a terrible shooter, He can't run an offense, he can't get to the rim, he can't finish when he does get to the rim.

He's a reasonable defender with some potential upside on that side of the ball, but his offense is probably the worst of any guard I have seen get reasonable minutes in the NBA.

There's a ton of guys I would rather take a punt on ahead of Ntilikina.

He had worse career but I doubt very much he will be worse than those players were playing for Mavs and he will be much cheaper. If he can solidly defend best opponents guards and hit some open shots, he is worth taking. He's still young and maybe new environment will help him. Risk is minimal from Mavs perspective anyway.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2733 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:20 am

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Frank for sure deserves a try. He will be solid fit with Luka, problem is that he won't work without Luka, so Mavs still need someone to run second team. Frank + Goran would have been perfect signing in this situation.

You have Ntlikina, Brunson, Burke all playing backup minutes to Luka. What do you need a one year rental of Dragic for?

Dragic is the only player, who can do some real playmaking and run second unit.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#2734 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Dragic is useless at this point. You're going into the season with 5 point guards, 2 white power forwards who don't know how to play, a lanky center paid the max to shoot threes from the halfcourt, and an overpaid SG who only knows how to play one side of the court.

Dragic is not in a Mavs uniform. Dreaming about him puts you in the same boat as the guy who keeps dreaming about Jericho Sims coming to Dallas. Work with the ones the team has rather than waiting to get someone who may not come at all.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#2735 » by JJP » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 pm

arkuo wrote:

The playoffs.

This likely doesn't happen until the trade deadline, but as long as you don't give up anything of substance, you trade for him later when the season starts
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#2736 » by fuller4379 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Ntlikina is worth a flier. We have a lot of garbage at the bottom end of the roster. Maybe we can develop his shot since basically he has zero expectations at this point. If not, we just drop him after the end of the year.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#2737 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:40 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Dragic is useless at this point. You're going into the season with 5 point guards, 2 white power forwards who don't know how to play, a lanky center paid the max to shoot threes from the halfcourt, and an overpaid SG who only knows how to play one side of the court.

Dragic is not in a Mavs uniform. Dreaming about him puts you in the same boat as the guy who keeps dreaming about Jericho Sims coming to Dallas. Work with the ones the team has rather than waiting to get someone who may not come at all.

Why is he useless? He was fantastic 1 year ago in playoffs and solid this year. He would be motivated for sure playing with Luka. Luka is the only Pg in this team, we have seen last year in playoffs what happens, if he is out. Dragic would have been huge in situation like that. And he's very likely in better condition than Luka. ;)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#2738 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Dragic can run the offense for 10/15minutes with Luka on the bench, last year we would have beaten the Clips with him.

We are the same team than last year, no a lot of faith for the PO...Dragic should move the needle.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#2739 » by Archx » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Ntilikina and Burke off the bench to run the 2nd unit is absolutely disgusting and embarrasing. I hope FO has some other plans in mind because i don't care if they come cheap or whatever.. it's a waste of a roster spot. I really hope they can land Dragic or if by some miracle Brunson has learned how to play like Barea over the summer. Mavs at this point are just building hopes with NYK rejects...
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#2740 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:01 pm

I don't mind the French for the minimum, but there must be consolidation trades before that, Powell + Burke + Moses Brown for Eric Gordon, this way you clear 2 roster spots and get an overpaid veteran guard to strengthen the backcourt, I believe Gordon will improve on a new competitive team, and he's a 20M expiring deal next year that can be used as a leverage for star player.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks