Frank Ntilikina heading to Mavs

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

FlorentinoPerez
Sophomore
And1: 154

Re: Frank Ntilikina heading to Mavs 

Post#21 » by FlorentinoPerez » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:52 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i feel like the Mavs are gonna eventually be the hub for international players

you mean euros. im not sure what frank brings to the table. he is one of many french busts along with killian.

very underrated comment
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#22 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:16 am

UcanUwill wrote:Wow, he remains in the league! Still remember one Doncic hater on the draft board, tell us Frank is the better player/prospect than Luka. Sometimes, when one guy is Euro nobody, and the others best player in Europe at age 18, you better not overthink things.

Yes those draft board conversations were epic. And there were at least 2 to claim that. Turkoglu and Ingles being Luka's ceiling was very popular too. :D
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#23 » by Ferulci » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:25 am

Love the signing. If it pans out, Frankie can be a good fit in this team. if it doesn't, it's only a minimum contract and next stop is back to Europe.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,234

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:45 am

Bob8 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wow, he remains in the league! Still remember one Doncic hater on the draft board, tell us Frank is the better player/prospect than Luka. Sometimes, when one guy is Euro nobody, and the others best player in Europe at age 18, you better not overthink things.

Yes those draft board conversations were epic. And there were at least 2 to claim that. Turkoglu and Ingles being Luka's ceiling was very popular too. :D

I am quilty here too, compared him to Ingles, granted I never said it was his ceiling, but as Euroleague fan and a pessimist, I always expect the worst. This is the lesson I took from Luka, not to put artificial ceiling on the guy just because hes an Euro, and I always believed that Euroleague players have this cap, where they cant be better than that. Because of this lesson, I really got super high on Alperen Sengun, he is not on Luka level, but kid is a wonderkind in his own right. Luka was special, definitely turned out better than even I could have hoped to, I remember saying if Luka pans out he is next Paul Pierce. Also we obviously compared him to Harden, because its an obvious comparison.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#25 » by GeorgeGervin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i feel like the Mavs are gonna eventually be the hub for international players

you mean euros. im not sure what frank brings to the table. he is one of many french busts along with killian.

Come on man, Hayes has only played 26 games due to an injury, give him some time before calling him a bust, he's only 19.
Sure he hasn't looked great so far but that's very early to call him a bust, he has good potential.

I remember Trae Young did not look that good for his first 26 games (better than Hayes though) and look where he is now.
Knicks365247
Junior
And1: 348

Post#26 » by Knicks365247 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am

Frank will not only make the rotation but be a positive contributor for the Mavs.

Plus I knew he would land with the Mavs.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#27 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:49 am

GeorgeGervin wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

Come on man, Hayes has only played 26 games due to an injury, give him some time before calling him a bust, he's only 19.
Sure he hasn't looked great so far but that's very early to call him a bust, he has good potential.

I remember Trae Young did not look that good for his first 26 games (better than Hayes though) and look where he is now.

nah its very easy to sort out busts. usually guys who claim to play euro league but have minimal experience and stat pad in garbage euro cups. i said hayes was a bust in day 1 until kevin o connor infamously said he was the number 1 prospect only to face criticism from his stans bc he was a so called expert.

comparing hayes to trae is blasphemy since i was a trae young stan and luka critic coming off trae's historic college season. they arent even the same tier prospect wise. hayes was just one of many 18 yr old kids that played several minutes at euro league i dont have to evaluate millions of those. sure there might be some statistical deviation like sengun but most raw guys dominating leagues far below euro dont touch them with high lottery picks its not worth the gamble.

frank was someone i was pretty high several tier better than bust killian but ever since he went down, i dont touch prospects similar and trae he deserves some hate after busting his shot for someone who i lauded as the next steph his shooting is what bottom 10% percentile ben simmons has a chance to be better its a joke doncic looks like larry bird. looks like trae imitated steph to boost his draft stock he faked a lot of draft experts nobody saw it coming.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#28 » by Pointgod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:58 am

Luka finally gets his Pippen! I remember when Knicks fans used to talk up this guy like he was the second coming of Gary Payton. Just shows you how delusional fandom is.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,161

Post#29 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Pointgod wrote:Luka finally gets his Pippen! I remember when Knicks fans used to talk up this guy like he was the second coming of Gary Payton. Just shows you how delusional fandom is.

Most Frank supporters are trolls lol
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#30 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:53 pm

Still in the league huh? Overachievement.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,240

Post#31 » by RoxSteady » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:07 pm

SO much was written on Dennis Smith Jr. falling to the Mavs after the Knicks drafted Ntilikina. Both players will end up playing for both franchises and it's likely neither player will end up helping either team

FWIW, I'm rooting for Frank, even it helps the Mavs.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,240

Post#32 » by RoxSteady » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
DaGawd wrote:The Dallas Knickerbockers

Damn straight. We know where to mine talent. If he makes the team that's 1/3 of the roster former Knicks. You should start one of those threads like the Lakers fans have when a team has just 2 of their former players. :wink:

Just like the Knicks historically looked to Dallas first with Ro and Harp and then Chandler and Kidd. Harp and Chandler really worked out. So far for Dallas just Junior but we have some hopes for Bullock. :D

(1) I love Bullock; he's really dependable on the catch and shoot and defends the perimeter well. I guess the Knicks kept Burks instead because he can create his own shot better than Reggie... or Reggie wanted to go.

(2) Four years ago KP, Tim Hardaway, and Frank Ntilikina led the Knicks to a 17-15 start before cratering.

(3) SO much was written on Dennis Smith Jr. falling to the Mavs after the Knicks drafted Ntilikina. Both players will end up playing for both franchises and it's likely neither player will end up helping either team.

(4) We got Herb Williams from you guys in the 90's too! :)
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#33 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Dallas has the roster that the Knicks would’ve had if they landed Doncic instead of Knox.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#34 » by matt6715 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:21 pm

I've been clowned for this take, but I think this is absolutely the Mavs best path to contention. They need to become the destination for Euro/international players that the Lakers or Heat are for the American star contingency.
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#35 » by iCallBankshot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Luka finally gets his Pippen! I remember when Knicks fans used to talk up this guy like he was the second coming of Gary Payton. Just shows you how delusional fandom is.

Most Frank supporters are trolls lol

This is such a disrespectful take. Not like you care anything about respect or anything. But I became a Knicks die-hard during Frank's rookie season because he and KP had that stretch of games where they were a awesome tandem. KP was hitting every possible 3pt'r, averaging 23, and earned his unicorn title. Frank was playing staunch defense, making timely passes and stops. You remember it was magic.
Then it went all down-hill from there for both players. Fine, almost five years later, both guys are gone and this "Frank supporter troll" is 100% a Knicks fan. So to call us trolls is dumb as sh*t. Don't act like WE haven't been a stable franchise for that long. Don't forget we've had 5 coaches in the past 5 seasons and 50 years with out a championship. Don't act like we've been a good place for young guys to grow. There's a dose of reality for you, to humble you.

That said, I'm rooting for Frank wherever he lands (and screw KP). Go Knicks.
iCallBankshot
Sophomore
And1: 95

Post#36 » by iCallBankshot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:27 pm

DaGawd wrote:
(2) Four years ago KP, Tim Hardaway, and Frank Ntilikina led the Knicks to a 17-15 start before cratering.

Someone remembers exactly what I was talking about above.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,604

Post#37 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 pm

The frank cult was delusional. They would attack other Knicks fans if we called him a bust and say we didn’t know basketball. The guy was given plenty of opportunities for 4 years and stunk it up every time.

Even his defense got worse.
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#38 » by GeorgeGervin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:00 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
GeorgeGervin wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

nah its very easy to sort out busts. usually guys who claim to play euro league but have minimal experience and stat pad in garbage euro cups. i said hayes was a bust in day 1 until kevin o connor infamously said he was the number 1 prospect only to face criticism from his stans bc he was a so called expert.

comparing hayes to trae is blasphemy since i was a trae young stan and luka critic coming off trae's historic college season. they arent even the same tier prospect wise. hayes was just one of many 18 yr old kids that played several minutes at euro league i dont have to evaluate millions of those. sure there might be some statistical deviation like sengun but most raw guys dominating leagues far below euro dont touch them with high lottery picks its not worth the gamble.

frank was someone i was pretty high several tier better than bust killian but ever since he went down, i dont touch prospects similar and trae he deserves some hate after busting his shot for someone who i lauded as the next steph his shooting is what bottom 10% percentile ben simmons has a chance to be better its a joke doncic looks like larry bird. looks like trae imitated steph to boost his draft stock he faked a lot of draft experts nobody saw it coming.

1) I obviously wasn't comparing Hayes and Young, no blasphemy here. All I'm saying is Trae is a very good example why you shouldn't call someone a bust that quickly, as he too didn't look great at the beginning of his rookie season and many people were too quick calling him a bust. After 26 games while being healthy, Young was shooting 37% from the field and 24% from the 3 (46 TS%) and he's much better right now. Obviously Young was better than Hayes is right now.

2) I still believe that calling a 19 yo rookie a bust after only 26 games and especially after his short season was cut in half due to a serious injury, is dumb. He actually looked more comfortable at the end of the season. Only time will tell but judging a 19 yo after 26 games and an injury can lead you to sounding dumb.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,630

Post#39 » by Pointgod » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

The frank cult was delusional. They would attack other Knicks fans if we called him a bust and say we didn’t know basketball. The guy was given plenty of opportunities for 4 years and stunk it up every time.

Even his defense got worse.
Read on Twitter

It was bad. I remember lurking Knicks boards after his 3rd year and posters still claiming he was untouchable. And to think he was the 8th pick. Same with Kevin Knox. The Knicks have bounced back nicely despite some questionable decisions.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 921

Post#40 » by Captain_Obvious » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:26 pm

A bit surprised by this. I expected Frank to be a Donnie Nelson target. With him gone, maybe Cuban made a pitch or sth.

Return to The General Board