10 best defensive players of the decade

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 899

10 best defensive players of the decade 

Post#1 » by Gibson22 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:34 pm

Who are, in your opinion, the 10 best defensive players of the decade?
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,755

Re: 10 best defensive players of the decade 

Post#2 » by uberhikari » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm

LBJ
Duncan
CP3
Draymond
Gobert
Tony Allen
Kawhi
AD
Iguodala
Giannis
No-more-rings
Head Coach
And1: 3,850

Post#3 » by No-more-rings » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:54 am

uberhikari wrote:LBJ
Duncan
CP3
Draymond
Gobert
Tony Allen
Kawhi
AD
Iguodala
Giannis

It would take a lot of thought for this thread, but I’m certain Marc Gasol needs to be in there, and Cp3 seems really dubious. George is also a clearly better defender than Cp3. Dwight is interesting too, even if his DPOY level ended in 2012, not sure what 10 years we’re using exactly.
Narigo
Veteran
And1: 816

Post#4 » by Narigo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 am

Peak wise, Not in order

Howard
Gobert
Draymond
M.Gasol
Noah
Duncan
Garnett
Chandler
Giannis
Bogut
Narigo's Fantasy Team

PG: Damian Lillard
SG: Sidney Moncrief
SF:
PF: James Worthy
C: Tim Duncan

BE: Robert Horry
BE:
BE:
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#5 » by SHAQ32 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:33 am

I'd probably have Josh Smith in there before Tyson Chandler or LeBron. But so far, these lists look pretty good. There are really many names you could have in there.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#6 » by falcolombardi » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 am

i think it would be mostly bigs

draymond, gobert, giannis, embiid, marc gasol for sure, maybe noah or horford or tyson Chandler

then forward spots could have kawhi, maybe lebron for his peak seasons, maybe iguodala?
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,088

Post#7 » by Outside » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 am

Not a firm order, but prefer the guys at the top over those at the bottom.

Howard
Draymond
Duncan
Kawhi
Gobert
Tony Allen
Marc Gasol
Chris Paul
Anthony Davis
Iguodala

First out:
Noah
Bogut
Giannis

Guys I have trouble including:
Embiid -- durability
LeBron -- was really good at his peak in Miami but has spent way too many years picking spots for a few spectacular plays but otherwise standing on D and expecting everyone else to compensate for his lack of effort
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by uberhikari » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 am

No-more-rings wrote:
Duncan
CP3
Draymond
Gobert
Tony Allen
Kawhi
AD
Iguodala
Giannis

It would take a lot of thought for this thread, but I’m certain Marc Gasol needs to be in there, and Cp3 seems really dubious. George is also a clearly better defender than Cp3. Dwight is interesting too, even if his DPOY level ended in 2012, not sure what 10 years we’re using exactly.

CP3 isn't dubious; he's in the top 10 of best defensive PGs of all time. Paul George is not a better defender than him relative to position.

Out of the bigs I listed Gasol isn't clearly better than any of them except maybe Duncan and he might have a longevity argument over Howard. So, Gasol doesn't need to be listed.

The only decade we could plausibly be using is the one that just passed (2011-2020).
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,477

Post#9 » by 70sFan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 pm

uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
Duncan
CP3
Draymond
Gobert
Tony Allen
Kawhi
AD
Iguodala
Giannis

CP3 isn't dubious; he's in the top 10 of best defensive PGs of all time. Paul George is not a better defender than him relative to position.

Out of the bigs I listed Gasol isn't clearly better than any of them except maybe Duncan and he might have a longevity argument over Howard. So, Gasol doesn't need to be listed.

The only decade we could plausibly be using is the one that just passed (2011-2020).

Who cares about relative to position ranking? This is absolute best defenders in the league debate.
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#10 » by No-more-rings » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm

uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
Duncan
CP3
Draymond
Gobert
Tony Allen
Kawhi
AD
Iguodala
Giannis

How does being a top 10 defensive point guard ever mean he has to be a top 10 defender of his era? Cp3 does not and never did have the defensive impact of a big, or even elite wings for that matter In fact his defense in general has gotten comically overrated over time. People love his impact metrics, but no team Cp3 has been on have ever been a top 5 DRTG before. His impact is good for a small guard, but people need to stop acting like he's the point guard version of Bill Russell or something.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by uberhikari » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:03 pm

70sFan wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:It would take a lot of thought for this thread, but I’m certain Marc Gasol needs to be in there, and Cp3 seems really dubious. George is also a clearly better defender than Cp3. Dwight is interesting too, even if his DPOY level ended in 2012, not sure what 10 years we’re using exactly.

Who cares about relative to position ranking? This is absolute best defenders in the league debate.

I do because I'm the one making the list, which is precisely why I don't care about your opinion on this matter.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by uberhikari » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:05 pm

No-more-rings wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:It would take a lot of thought for this thread, but I’m certain Marc Gasol needs to be in there, and Cp3 seems really dubious. George is also a clearly better defender than Cp3. Dwight is interesting too, even if his DPOY level ended in 2012, not sure what 10 years we’re using exactly.

How does being a top 10 defensive point guard ever mean he has to be a top 10 defender of his era? Cp3 does not and never did have the defensive impact of a big, or even elite wings for that matter In fact his defense in general has gotten comically overrated over time. People love his impact metrics, but no team Cp3 has been on have ever been a top 5 DRTG before. His impact is good for a small guard, but people need to stop acting like he's the point guard version of Bill Russell or something.

Apparently, you have some beef with arguments I'm not making. I guess you can continue arguing with shadows. But I will say this: the question is NOT who has the most defensive value, the question is who is the best defender. Jason Kidd might have less defensive value than Joakim Noah but Noah is not a better defender than Jason Kidd.
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#13 » by Gibson22 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:40 pm

uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
uberhikari wrote:

Apparently, you have some beef with arguments I'm not making. I guess you can continue arguing with shadows. But I will say this: the question is NOT who has the most defensive value, the question is who is the best defender. Jason Kidd might have less defensive value than Joakim Noah but Noah is not a better defender than Jason Kidd.

Nah the question is who has the most defensive value
No-more-rings
Head Coach

Post#14 » by No-more-rings » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm

uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:
uberhikari wrote:

How are you defining better then? When it comes to defense, all that should matter is how much you impact the game. If Cp3 is a better defender than Marc Gasol, then shouldn't it impact the game more?
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by uberhikari » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:45 am

lebron3-14-3 wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:How does being a top 10 defensive point guard ever mean he has to be a top 10 defender of his era? Cp3 does not and never did have the defensive impact of a big, or even elite wings for that matter In fact his defense in general has gotten comically overrated over time. People love his impact metrics, but no team Cp3 has been on have ever been a top 5 DRTG before. His impact is good for a small guard, but people need to stop acting like he's the point guard version of Bill Russell or something.

Sorry, but that's not what you wrote in the topic title or in the ensuing post. This is what you wrote:

Who are, in your opinion, the 10 BEST defensive players of the decade?

If value is what you meant, then you should have written that.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#16 » by 70sFan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:55 am

uberhikari wrote:
lebron3-14-3 wrote:
uberhikari wrote:

Sorry, but that's not what you wrote in the topic title or in the ensuing post. This is what you wrote:

Do you also call players like Duncan Robinson the best offensive players in the league? He's probably the best player in the league at his limited role. I hope you do, then you'd be consistent.

Same thing applies to defensive players - maybe someone like Paul is elite in his role, but his role is far less impactful and he has much less defensive responsibilities than top tier bigs.
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Post#17 » by feyki » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:34 am

Peak wise:

Top All-Time Peaks

10/12 Howard
18/21 Gobert

DPOY

2016 Lebron
15/17 Draymond
15/16 D.Jordan
17/21 A.Davis
14/16 Kawhi
15/16 Hassan W.

All D 1th Team level (highest 3)

10/11 Bogut
2010 Duncan
13/14 Hibbert, 10/11 Garnett

. Instead of Hibbert and KG; Marc,Noah,Millsap,P.George,Josh Smith,G.Wallace,Giannis,T.Allen,Tyson Chandler could make the list.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by uberhikari » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:26 pm

70sFan wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
lebron3-14-3 wrote:

Do you also call players like Duncan Robinson the best offensive players in the league? He's probably the best player in the league at his limited role. I hope you do, then you'd be consistent.

Same thing applies to defensive players - maybe someone like Paul is elite in his role, but his role is far less impactful and he has much less defensive responsibilities than top tier bigs.

I don't think it would be controversial to claim Duncan Robinson is one of the best offensive players in the league.
70sFan
RealGM

Post#19 » by 70sFan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 pm

uberhikari wrote:
70sFan wrote:
uberhikari wrote:

I don't think it would be controversial to claim Duncan Robinson is one of the best offensive players in the league.

Would you have him among top 10 offensive players of the last decade?
uberhikari
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by uberhikari » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm

70sFan wrote:
uberhikari wrote:
70sFan wrote:Do you also call players like Duncan Robinson the best offensive players in the league? He's probably the best player in the league at his limited role. I hope you do, then you'd be consistent.

Would you have him among top 10 offensive players of the last decade?

Uum, no, lol.

Return to Player Comparisons