ImageImageImageImageImage

Updated salary situation for 2021-2022.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Re: Updated salary situation for 2021-2022. 

Post#161 » by StringerBell » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:55 pm

That 2023 off season is going to be interesting with not only Trents player option but Freddy's as well. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#162 » by Asif16 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 am

StringerBell wrote:That 2023 off season is going to be interesting with not only Trents player option but Freddy's as well. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

I dont know why, but I have a gut feeling Trent will be traded before his contract runs up. I think the Raps will try to sell him as a Main Young Piece in a trade for an All-Star player of some sort.

Just my guess though
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,169

Post#163 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Asif16 wrote:
StringerBell wrote:That 2023 off season is going to be interesting with not only Trents player option but Freddy's as well. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made.

I dont know why, but I have a gut feeling Trent will be traded before his contract runs up. I think the Raps will try to sell him as a Main Young Piece in a trade for an All-Star player of some sort.

Just my guess though

ya Trent is trade fodder for sure. that's a good sized contract to be traded. he's young and he can shoot 3s with a developing offensive repertoire with average defense. I think Masai can sell that for sure.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
StringerBell
Veteran
And1: 2,200

Post#164 » by StringerBell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:31 pm

Asif16 wrote:

Just my guess though

If they plan on extending Fred, think you may be right.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#165 » by DelAbbot » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 am

Can anyone point me to the impact of absorbing Dwight Powell's 11M per for next two seasons on our salary cap? If we are near the cap (or already over it) in summer of 2022, then Dwight Powell's 11M for 2022/2023 doesn't hurt our ability to sign FA right?
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#166 » by DelAbbot » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:28 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:The years on Trent's deal will never make sense to me the salary itself is fine

its great for Trent, who probably influenced the contract length and terms.

Yeah but it kinda sucks for the team assuming he breaks out and you already gotta pay him again in 2 years

Which means our FO doesn't believe GTJ is part of the next core at the moment

either FO will trade GTJ sometime next two years (75%)
GTJ breaks out and become indispensable (25%) - then we have to pay him a lot to keep him longer than 2 years

The percentages are my estimate for likelihood of happening.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#167 » by Indeed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:01 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Can anyone point me to the impact of absorbing Dwight Powell's 11M per for next two seasons on our salary cap? If we are near the cap (or already over it) in summer of 2022, then Dwight Powell's 11M for 2022/2023 doesn't hurt our ability to sign FA right?

Reference:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/toronto-raptors/cap/2022/

Powell won't affect on our ability to sign FA, as we are above the cap (not near, above). Our only way to sign big FA is to use our MLE (10m), which 10m is around what we left with (assume we are not going above the tax with Boucher).

Trading Dragic will need Powell + 3m (Burke or Green or whoever) + Brown or equivalent to match. The only impact of absorbing Powell + Burke would be not able to re-sign Boucher (though with only 20m below the tax based on Dragic expiring, that is unknown to be enough for Boucher).

From the calculated salary.
For keeping Dragic or acquire an expiring (no Boucher):
Assume we take on Banton (115m with 10 players) and sign our 2022 1st round pick, we are pretty much 18m below the tax with 5 roster spots to fill. Vet min or rookie min for 4 players (5m - 7m in total), we are left with around the MLE 10m as a below tax team.

For trading Dragic with 2+ years salary (14m) and acquire a young player (no Boucher):
Assume we take on Powell, Burke, Banton (129m with 12 players), the new young player and sign our 2022 1st round pick, we are to fill 1 roster spot. We have less than 10m and can use the MLE (pretty much the same replacing Burke with a vet min) as a below tax team.

For Boucher agreeing with a 20m or less contract and we get an expiring or keep Dragic:
Assume we take on Banton (135m with 11 players) and sign our 2022 1st round pick, we are 3m to fill 3 players, which means we are unlikely to use the MLE, but to fill our roster with vet min or rookie min for not going above the tax.
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 681

Post#168 » by DangerZone13 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Thank you everyone for doing such a comprehensive breakdown - very cool.

I think looking logically at the players and their terms, it seems pretty clear there is some shifting to be done. Let's all hope Goran, GTJ, and Boucher really catch fire at the beginning of the year, because that's $42M of good talent on short-term deals to add to a pick package for either a team looking trade a disgruntled star and retool, or for an overpaid guy and very good young player.

Goran - not part of anyone's future plans at this stage, but can surely help a lot in the now.

Boucher - Love the guy, but the arrivals of Scottie and Achiuwa are going to make him expendable if he's looking for a raise, but another team might really like his bird-rights in a very weak FA class.

GTJ - I'm excited to see him grow, and hoping he plays well enough to take himself out of trade consideration, but that contract structure sure makes it feel pretty certain he gets moved. I think he's got a lot more game in him if he sees it through though.

Should be interesting.
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#169 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:09 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
its great for Trent, who probably influenced the contract length and terms.

Yeah but it kinda sucks for the team assuming he breaks out and you already gotta pay him again in 2 years

GTJ breaks out and become indispensable (25%) - then we have to pay him a lot to keep him longer than 2 years

You guys always project players to sign for more after a deal is up. They can resign for less or for the same money too you know.

Case in point, THJ and even Lowry from this summer.

A 2yr deal makes sense for GTJ.
But that doesn't mean he'll be gone after that...

He can easily re-up for 3more years at the same price and come out with the same money as a 5yr deal

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Indeed
RealGM

Post#170 » by Indeed » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:36 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Yeah but it kinda sucks for the team assuming he breaks out and you already gotta pay him again in 2 years

You guys always project players to sign for more after a deal is up. They can resign for less or for the same money too you know.

He can easily re-up for 3more years at the same price and come out with the same money as a 5yr deal

With his last year being a player option, he is most likely gone.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#171 » by aligator » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:32 pm

Not at all. He could accept option or become FA and still sign back, for less, more or roughly the same.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#172 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:22 pm

Indeed wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Good. I'd rather Scottie (or Jalen Harris) start at the 2 anyway.

Trent is just a tradeable contract for the next two or three years. Maybe as part of a deal for Simmons, or SGA if OKC doesn't start trying to win games.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Post#173 » by HumbleRen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:25 pm

I don't see FVV or GTJ being apart of our team post 2023.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#174 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:05 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Trent is just a tradeable contract for the next two or three years. Maybe as part of a deal for Simmons, or SGA if OKC doesn't start trying to win games.

That would be a dream, but I don't know he has that much value.
For now, I have Barnes starting
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#175 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Indeed wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

That would be a dream, but I don't know he has that much value.
For now, I have Barnes starting

"Part of a deal ..."

Any well-run team needs salaries of dispensable, non-core young players - along with all its draft picks - to be ready to throw into a package for the next disgruntled superstar. As long as his shooting comes around, Trent should have as much value as a Heild or Gallanari.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Post#176 » by KrazyP » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:00 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Can anyone point me to the impact of absorbing Dwight Powell's 11M per for next two seasons on our salary cap? If we are near the cap (or already over it) in summer of 2022, then Dwight Powell's 11M for 2022/2023 doesn't hurt our ability to sign FA right?

I think Svi and Watanabe both break out this year....as a result, a big portion of the room the Raps have under the tax threshold for next year will likely be used to retain these guys. Svi will require use of the MLE and Watanabe will be an early bird FA. I could see contracts in the $6-8mill/yr range for both if they play well.

There will be some wiggle room left over but I'm not sure if the Raptors would have any interest in filling it with Dwight Powell's contract unless the Mavs tie a 1st round pick to him which is unlikely.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#177 » by DelAbbot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:29 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I don't see FVV or GTJ being apart of our team post 2023.

I have been a vocal FVV hater due to his physical limitations and playmaking limitations but why wouldn't FVV be with our team post 2023? He has a lot of the key qualities Nurse wants - defense, shooting, toughness, leadership. FVV fits our culture so well.

GTJ he can be traded asap - I have shifted my hater energy away from FVV to GTJ
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#178 » by DelAbbot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:32 pm

KrazyP wrote:

I think Svi and Watanabe both break out this year....as a result, a big portion of the room the Raps have under the tax threshold for next year will likely be used to retain these guys. Svi will require use of the MLE and Watanabe will be an early bird FA. I could see contracts in the $6-8mill/yr range for both if they play well.

There will be some wiggle room left over but I'm not sure if the Raptors would have any interest in filling it with Dwight Powell's contract unless the Mavs tie a 1st round pick to him which is unlikely.

I asked about Dwight Powell because his contract was the main impedance for a Dragic for Moses Brown type swap - Dwight Powell helps match salaries for this year but his contracts runs for another year which hurts our cap as you mentioned.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,169

Post#179 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:34 pm

DelAbbot wrote:

I have been a vocal FVV hater due to his physical limitations and playmaking limitations but why wouldn't FVV be with our team post 2023? He has a lot of the key qualities Nurse wants - defense, shooting, toughness, leadership. FVV fits our culture so well.

this. although I hate FVV as well, you can't deny him his intangibles and qualities that make him a good fit on this team, when he doesn't have tunnel vision or hold the ball for too long.

GTJ is kind of a mixed bag. he will have games where he doesn't miss and will be a next coming of a GOAT and then the next game he's like garbage and it also affects his defense.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,059

Post#180 » by HumbleRen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:38 pm

DelAbbot wrote:

He'll be getting paid way more on his next contract that will see him getting paid until he's 34.

Paying a 5'11 player who can't finish around the rim in his prime age who also has a history of injuries isn't a Masai thing to do.

I think when the right star is available, GTJ and FVV will be sent packing for said player.

Return to Toronto Raptors