ImageImageImage

Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: Mavs Offseason - 21/22 - what do we do from here? 

Post#2741 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm

KhalilS wrote:I don't mind the French for the minimum, but there must be consolidation trades before that, Powell + Burke + Moses Brown for Eric Gordon, this way you clear 2 roster spots and get an overpaid veteran guard to strengthen the backcourt, I believe Gordon will improve on a new competitive team, and he's a 20M expiring deal next year that can be used as a leverage for star player.

I think Dallas got their bargain bin Gordon in Sterling Brown. I also think they will play THJ heavy minutes with the way they are paying him the next 4 years.

Powell + Burke + Brown or Kleber need to be sent our for a power forward upgrade at least. That, or a KP insurance in case he goes down. KP is good for 20 and 10, so you would have to replace that production in case he goes down or he can't play back to back games.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#2742 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 pm

Burke is only one of the thousand random moves by Cuban and Nelson, if you wanted bet on Burke you should have traded Brunson...with him on the roster Burke is useless.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#2743 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:30 pm

I want to see Cuban swing for a trade for John Wall.

Cuban had a check ready and signed for 36 year old Kyle Lowry. I'd like to see the resources allotted for that be sent to a 31 year old John Wall. 5 years younger, 3 inches taller. Cuban needs to realize that the NBA is pay to play. This is not a trial version download where he can scrimp on the upgrades. Luka will be one of the most important players in the NBA in the next decade. Either way, John Wall is a trade asset if it doesn't work. You have to sign players to get assets than just passing them all up every year. That's the reason you end up with Powell, Kleber, Burke etc. Those are non-assets.

Think about it. If it doesn't work with Wall and you have Dame wanting out, you can send Wall + DFS + WCS and 4 1st round picks as an offer. That is light years better than a package centered around Powell + Burke and whatever Cuban has in his fridge.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#2744 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:38 pm

Archx wrote:Ntilikina and Burke off the bench to run the 2nd unit is absolutely disgusting and embarrasing. I hope FO has some other plans in mind because i don't care if they come cheap or whatever.. it's a waste of a roster spot. I really hope they can land Dragic or if by some miracle Brunson has learned how to play like Barea over the summer. Mavs at this point are just building hopes with NYK rejects...

Ntilikina won't run second unit, but he could play some minutes with Luka. He can play D and is capable to hit some open shots. He just have to get rid of anything else than shooting open shots. This is optimistic scenario of course, but what can Mavs lose, if they give him 1+1, second year team option? Ntilikina is 23 years old and has never played with good Pg. He's not good enough to be primary Pg, what Knicks hoped, but you really don't need that to play with Luka.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Post#2745 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 pm

arkuo wrote:
KhalilS wrote:I don't mind the French for the minimum, but there must be consolidation trades before that, Powell + Burke + Moses Brown for Eric Gordon, this way you clear 2 roster spots and get an overpaid veteran guard to strengthen the backcourt, I believe Gordon will improve on a new competitive team, and he's a 20M expiring deal next year that can be used as a leverage for star player.

I think Dallas got their bargain bin Gordon in Sterling Brown. I also think they will play THJ heavy minutes with the way they are paying him the next 4 years.

Powell + Burke + Brown or Kleber need to be sent our for a power forward upgrade at least. That, or a KP insurance in case he goes down. KP is good for 20 and 10, so you would have to replace that production in case he goes down or he can't play back to back games.

Powell and Burke are bad salary, they won't net you anything good, Gordon is overpaid, be he can create off the dribble, that's why they can safely get him.
Luka runs the offense, but size wise he's a forward, he posts up, he bullies people, and he's not the quickest guy out there, if Gordon regains 80% of his 2 years ago form, you'll see Gordon/THJ/Luks/DFS/KP lineup closing games.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,337

Post#2746 » by Mavrelous » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:51 pm

arkuo wrote:I want to see Cuban swing for a trade for John Wall.

Cuban had a check ready and signed for 36 year old Kyle Lowry. I'd like to see the resources allotted for that be sent to a 31 year old John Wall. 5 years younger, 3 inches taller. Cuban needs to realize that the NBA is pay to play. This is not a trial version download where he can scrimp on the upgrades. Luka will be one of the most important players in the NBA in the next decade. Either way, John Wall is a trade asset if it doesn't work. You have to sign players to get assets than just passing them all up every year. That's the reason you end up with Powell, Kleber, Burke etc. Those are non-assets.

Think about it. If it doesn't work with Wall and you have Dame wanting out, you can send Wall + DFS + WCS and 4 1st round picks as an offer. That is light years better than a package centered around Powell + Burke and whatever Cuban has in his fridge.

Not gonna happen, but I'd love this deal:

Mavs send THJ, Powell, Burke, Green, Brown
Mavs get Wall, Sexton, Cedi (into TPE)

Cavs Send
Love Cedi Sexton
Cave get
THJ, Green, Burke TPE

Rockets send Wall
Rockers get Love Powell Brown
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#2747 » by ejs78 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I don't think this is a reliable source but thought I would pass along.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#2748 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:34 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Frank for sure deserves a try. He will be solid fit with Luka, problem is that he won't work without Luka, so Mavs still need someone to run second team. Frank + Goran would have been perfect signing in this situation.

You have Ntlikina, Brunson, Burke all playing backup minutes to Luka. What do you need a one year rental of Dragic for?

Well Dragic is better than all three of those guys. Of those 3 Brunson is the only one that can effectively run the offense without Luka on the floor. Dragic on the other hand has been a very good starting PG in the NBA for quite a while. Also if Dragic does come to I doubt it will be for just 1 year. If he’s traded here they will likely resign him in the off season for much less than he’s making now. If he’s brought out I’d expect the Mavs would give him at least a 2 year deal for much less than what he’s making now. Also I suspect Burke will be let go or moved real soon. Considering what he did to his IG page I think he might have already been told that he’s being released (to make room for Ntilikina).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2749 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:36 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You have Ntlikina, Brunson, Burke all playing backup minutes to Luka. What do you need a one year rental of Dragic for?

Dragic is the only player, who can do some real playmaking and run second unit.

Dragic is useless at this point. You're going into the season with 5 point guards, 2 white power forwards who don't know how to play, a lanky center paid the max to shoot threes from the halfcourt, and an overpaid SG who only knows how to play one side of the court.

Dragic is not in a Mavs uniform. Dreaming about him puts you in the same boat as the guy who keeps dreaming about Jericho Sims coming to Dallas. Work with the ones the team has rather than waiting to get someone who may not come at all.

Damn, so I guess you’re expecting the Mavs to be in the bottom 5 of the NBA this season? I mean based on what you’re saying they can’t play at all.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#2750 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:43 pm

Frank Ntilikina to become a Maverick. I hope he has success within our system. 6'4" but he has a 7'1" wingspan. Nice role player that's going to try an make a name for himself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager

Post#2751 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Dragic is the only player, who can do some real playmaking and run second unit.

Dragic is useless at this point. You're going into the season with 5 point guards, 2 white power forwards who don't know how to play, a lanky center paid the max to shoot threes from the halfcourt, and an overpaid SG who only knows how to play one side of the court.

Dragic is not in a Mavs uniform. Dreaming about him puts you in the same boat as the guy who keeps dreaming about Jericho Sims coming to Dallas. Work with the ones the team has rather than waiting to get someone who may not come at all.

Damn, so I guess you’re expecting the Mavs to be in the bottom 5 of the NBA this season? I mean based on what you’re saying they can’t play at all.

What Im saying is that Cuban has to build this right from the ground up. Getting guys like Dragic to sign a multi year deal, getting THJ signed when he wasn't even in the cards if Lowry agreed, extending Powell to that deal of his, is essentially just railroading one mistake in front of the other in hopes of steering the train the right direction.

He's pretty much shadowing what Cleveland did with Lebron back in the mid 2000s. Ricky Davis don't work with Lebron? It's okay, let's go out and get Eric Snow. Eric Snow don't work this year? Let's go out and get Larry Hughes next year, maybe that will solve things. It's very similar. What Cuban needs to do is to get these guys off a clean slate. Luka is signed on for the max, he can be talked into building the team right. No one is rushing them. They can draft right and sign better people with more cap room and not trying to peddle Powell + filler every summer. Not railroad every offseason with the false narrative that Luka is leaving in 2 years if he doesn't get all his European friends to come over.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#2752 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:04 pm

HMFFL wrote:Frank Ntilikina to become a Mavericks. I hope he has success within our system. 6'4" but he has a 7'1" wingspan. Nice role player that's going to try an make a name for himself.

Frank gets a second chance in Dallas. He's young enough to turn things around.

I'm one of the few people on the board who actually felt like Cuban wanted to draft Ntlikina back then. They just played off Dennis Smith as the one who they supposedly wanted. Granted that can never be proven now, but it makes for a good story. Cuban after all flew to Italy to meet Frank along with Donnie.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#2753 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:00 pm

I'm ok for Wall, trade or after buyout doesn't matter.
Our roster is full of role players and scrubs, Wall can't be worse than who we have not named Luka&KP.

Cuban it's time to spend or sell the team.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,640

Post#2754 » by DaGawd » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Frank FYI is more like a legit 6’7 than the 6’4 height he’s listed as. He has the size to slot in to both wing spots effortlessly
BaF
Washington Wizards
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2755 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Archx wrote:Ntilikina and Burke off the bench to run the 2nd unit is absolutely disgusting and embarrasing. I hope FO has some other plans in mind because i don't care if they come cheap or whatever.. it's a waste of a roster spot. I really hope they can land Dragic or if by some miracle Brunson has learned how to play like Barea over the summer. Mavs at this point are just building hopes with NYK rejects...

Brunson will be leading the 2nd unit unless Dragic is brought in. Ntilikina is more of a project at PG and a 3/D guard off the bench. Burkenis rarely going to get any minutes unless someone is injured. It’s not like either are the primary backup PG.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2756 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 pm

ejs78 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I don't think this is a reliable source but thought I would pass along.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Oh ****! I didn’t didn’t Houston would want to buy out Wall. If that happens and Mavs can sign him for a reasonable 1 year deal I’d be all for that.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#2757 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I'm ok for Wall, trade or after buyout doesn't matter.
Our roster is full of role players and scrubs, Wall can't be worse than who we have not named Luka&KP.

Cuban it's time to spend or sell the team.

Wall would easily be the 2nd best player on the team. Pending he can stay healthy of course.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#2758 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:51 pm

We pursued Gordon for nearly two years and Denver just extended him to four years. Are you glad we didn't trade for him or do you wish we had him to this contract?

Read on Twitter

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#2759 » by Archx » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:05 pm

Mr B wrote:

Brunson will be leading the 2nd unit unless Dragic is brought in. Ntilikina is more of a project at PG and a 3/D guard off the bench. Burkenis rarely going to get any minutes unless someone is injured. It’s not like either are the primary backup PG.

I'm not buying it. Burke is a waste of a roster spot and so is Frank more or less. My best guess is, THJ goes back to being a 6th guy with Brunson and Bullock starts with Luka. That's a decent bench unit then. Burke and Frank probably ain't going to see many minutes anyway, which gives me some comfort.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,392

Post#2760 » by gottamakeit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm

HMFFL wrote:We pursued Gordon for nearly two years and Denver just extended him to four years. Are you glad we didn't trade for him or do you wish we had him to this contract?

Read on Twitter

Glad we don't have that contract. Nuggets are in a position to win, so getting a bargain contract isn't all that important to them.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it

Return to Dallas Mavericks